May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 12 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Clark w/ 15 FTA, that's different for her. Those are Jewell Loyd numbers. Career high 30 points. Gonna come up a little short. 21 for McDonald off the bench, 22 for Nurse.

edit--88-82 final
Guess McDonald and Nurse heard me talking smack about the Sparks' guard unit and said "Hold our beers." If the Sparks can win games when Hamby and Brink combine for a mere 20 points then they'll be in business!

Reaction Score
70-47 final Sun. Game was close thru Q1. DT and Copper combined 4-25 and 0-12 from 3. Ouch! Add in Cunningham also 2-11/0-5.

Oh my goodness! Merc 1-27 from 3. Are you kidding me? Isn't this the team that hit about 50 3's in 2 games against the Aces?! So...lucky or good in those games?

Sun shot 35% overall and 21% from 3 and won by a landslide. That's because the Merc were 24%/4%. Worst game in WNBA history?

edit--Merc added 20 TOs just for good measure, but I guess if you can't hit the broad side of a barn it doesn't matter if you turn the ball over, because you weren't gonna score anyway
I just saw the box score of this game. Yikes! Was it the Connecticut defense or just Phoenix having an off night? I am tempted to watch the game now.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I just saw the box score of this game. Yikes! Was it the Connecticut defense or just Phoenix having an off night? I am tempted to watch the game now.
Probably a combo of both?

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Clark w/ 15 FTA, that's different for her. Those are Jewell Loyd numbers. Career high 30 points. Gonna come up a little short. 21 for McDonald off the bench, 22 for Nurse.

edit--88-82 final
Clark has played just about everyone at this point, so the refs know who she is now.:rolleyes:

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston with 17 points on 56% shooting (including 2-2 on 3-pointers) in 23 minutes tonight (and a +12). Oh that's right--we only "discuss" her when she's playing poorly! :rolleyes:

Interesting that NaLyssa's now being benched for her lack of defense. I wonder if she's looking for a way out of Indiana. Who should be interested?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston with 17 points on 56% shooting (including 2-2 on 3-pointers) in 23 minutes tonight (and a +12). Oh that's right--we only "discuss" her when she's playing poorly!
Okay, so she's played good 2 out of 8 games so far this year? I'll wait til she gets more consistent to start giving her some credit.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Okay, so she's played good 2 out of 8 games so far this year? I'll wait til she gets more consistent to start giving her some credit.
She played well for an entire season but that didn't stop you from maligning her to begin this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She played well for an entire season but that didn't stop you from maligning her to begin this season.
So? She was really, really under performing. Other players get called out. I was all over Jewell Loyd and her poor shooting, and she's been a good player in this league a whole lot longer than Boston.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle was cruising, up 19 on Chicago. Sky cut it to 5 late in Q4, but then their come back stalled out. Storm win by 9.

Probably should strike their 2 games w/out Nneka from the record. Of course Loyd and SDS weren't going to continue shooting as poorly as they started out the season. Ezi is the unsung hero w/ rebounding and shot blocking. Storm are over .500 for the first time in almost a year.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
So? She was really, really under performing. Other players get called out. I was all over Jewell Loyd and her poor shooting, and she's been a good player in this league a whole lot longer than Boston.
That's true. However, when players you like/favor get called out, you don't handle it well at all. You bit my head off about my observations of Kelsey Plum (namely her inability to play the PG position due to decision making) and are always quick to qualify any criticism regarding Cam Brink (someone who's been as inconsistent as they come). I think your criticism of Aliyah was excessive given that she's still figuring out things with a rookie PG who doesn't play the style that best suits her (Boston's) strengths and for a head coach who is clueless.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Seattle was cruising, up 19 on Chicago. Sky cut it to 5 late in Q4, but then their come back stalled out. Storm win by 9.

Probably should strike their 2 games w/out Nneka from the record. Of course Loyd and SDS weren't going to continue shooting as poorly as they started out the season. Ezi is the unsung hero w/ rebounding and shot blocking. Storm are over .500 for the first time in almost a year.
I watched the 2nd half. Some things that caught my attention:
  • Ezi was -- as you said -- really solid underneath, with 5 blocks, 12 rebounds and 13 pts.
  • Diggins-Smith shot 7-12 overall and 2-4 from three, including a dagger that stopped the last Sky comeback.
  • Loyd, whose shooting tailed off in the 2nd half, notched six assists so she was facilitating when she wasn't nagging Marina Mabrey or Diamond DeShields on defense (Remember, Dawn Staley used Jewell as her go to "guard stopper" in international team play).

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's true. However, when players you like/favor get called out, you don't handle it well at all. You bit my head off about my observations of Kelsey Plum (namely her inability to play the PG position due to decision making)
Still waiting for you to walk back your prediction she was going to be a walking TO. That's what I was protesting, and I was right. But you haven't admitted as much.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So, I have some bias toward players I like? Wow, shocking, I'm sure nobody else does that. Good thing I got called for it.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Still waiting for you to walk back your prediction she was going to be a walking TO. That's what I was protesting, and I was right. But you haven't admitted as much.
She has not been the primary option at PG. Jackie has.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
So, I have some bias toward players I like? Wow, shocking, I'm sure nobody else does that. Good thing I got called for it.
Nothing wrong with having favorites. However, when you have to rag on players (especially those who are not problematic--like Aliyah Boston) to prop up the ones you favor, it does not come across as just having favorites. It comes across as agenda-driven.

Think back to how Kelsey played in 2017 and 2018. Would you have been okay with reading post after post talking about her being a bust and how even the most average backup player was outperforming her? I don't think you would've been able to handle that. Yet it's okay for you to hound Aliyah Boston, a second-year player, for a handful of poor games on a team that has a new PG and a coach who isn't able to make the pieces mesh? Why would Plum be given grace but Aliyah wouldn't?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Just gonna put it out there that I don't even like manufactured A'ja-Stewie feuds, and they're both indisputably "generational talents" who are great fun to watch on court. The fan board equivalent is way less fun.

Reaction Score
Clark also had 3 steals and 3 blocks. I'm gonna need one of our experts to explain to me how a player who plays no defense at all managed to do this. Will be interesting...
Maybe they should have said she was "inconsistent' when it comes to defence? :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's true. However, when players you like/favor get called out, you don't handle it well at all. You bit my head off about my observations of Kelsey Plum (namely her inability to play the PG position due to decision making) and are always quick to qualify any criticism regarding Cam Brink (someone who's been as inconsistent as they come). I think your criticism of Aliyah was excessive given that she's still figuring out things with a rookie PG who doesn't play the style that best suits her (Boston's) strengths and for a head coach who is clueless.
Is it you or a different poster who is constantly bashing NaLyssa Smith? At any rate if anyone, myself included, decides to be the arbiter of which player is or isn't deserving of criticism, it's just not really gonna work out well. Someone will always disagree or take exception. I am going to attempt to offer less commentary about Boston so I don't draw your ire.

Reaction Score
Hey Phoenix holding Connecticut WAY under 90 points today...unfortunately they might not crack the 50 point barrier. What's the lowest point total ever for a WNBA game? 63-41 Sun w/ 4 minutes left. If Taurasi and Copper are both off, Merc have zero chance in a game.
Absolutely the Mercury really have zero chance in any game that they engage in. This week the million dollar coach has four games with his team and while it might appear progress has been made on the defensive front Connecticut went deep into the bench early and was conserving energy for their next game. That may be the trademark of all Mercury opponents - conserve energy for a real opponent.

The GOAT two for 14 as the second of four games in a week proving the schedule is entirely unmanageable for her 42-year-old body. Earlier I mentioned makeshift line up the three reserves who played were three for 15.

Now the league knows how strong Connecticut's defense is consistently and while the million dollar coach in the valley is resolutely engaged in installing his defensive scheme the unfortunate truth of the matter is there's simply not enough players on the team. I'm sure Becky is absolutely livid when she thinks back to the embarrassment earlier in the month. I can assure you when they meet again the outcome will be much much different.

So due to pity on the part of the Sun they score only 70 points but maintained a double-digit lead for most of the game. The Mercury lit it up for 47 points.

A total and complete embarrassment, lack of effort, lack of any coherent offense, lack of any decent bench players. Cooper of course is having an All-Star year and Cloud brings a significant energy to the team. When Sophie is your leading rebounder however it tells you what your frontline is lacking.

I'm confident that the Mercury can surpass both the Mystics and the Fever for last place. Even with the injuries confronting Washington they continue to play hard and have a coherent defense.

This four game road trip concludes with New York and Minnesota.

Expect Stewie in limited time to surpassed 40 fantasy points but again when you're playing the Mercury you can conserve your energy and with the impressive Lynx. Reeves and Sandy Bordello who was fired by the astute management in Phoenix will most certainly rest starters after 20 to 25 minutes. I wonder who's really excited to see that Mercury bench. And I keep hearing on the board that there are so many deeply talented players who can't make a w roster. Wonder why Phoenix can't sign any of them?

Those Husky alum will most certainly chow down on the million dollar coach's defense. Earlier this week the Mercury gave up 107 points in what was a exciting shootout but a real embarrassment for those of us in the valley of the Sun.

Becomes obvious why Skyler ( who on the road in the Windy City scored 21 in an efficient 50% shooting display following a home 30 plus point victory over the Mystics) was frustrated in the valley of mediocrity. Only the mediocre million dollar coach in the valley can make Quinn look competent

Did the Mercury beat the Aces. Yes although the Aces really contributed to that loss and I guarantee you Becky Hammond will make real sure her team learns something from that defeat.

Building upon that head scratching victory the million dollar coach and his team edged the Mystics in Footprint arena by three points, lost to The Wings by 15 and the Sun by 23. A trend?

Does anyone think the Mercury will learn anything from this road trip? I know we will all learn the depths and extent of the dumpster fire in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston with 17 points on 56% shooting (including 2-2 on 3-pointers) in 23 minutes tonight (and a +12). Oh that's right--we only "discuss" her when she's playing poorly! :rolleyes:

Interesting that NaLyssa's now being benched for her lack of defense. I wonder if she's looking for a way out of Indiana. Who should be interested?
Phoenix. They don't value defense anyway and any help scoring from the front line would be a bonus. The organization typically trades away all their draft picks but perhaps Indiana would be willing to bite on the Mercury first round picks from 2028 through 2038.

Smith matador defense would fit right into the installation the million dollar coach is struggling to affect in the dumpster fire that is Phoenix.

That said due to the incompetent malpractice is the front office I'm not sure that there's any salary cap room in the valley of the Sun not that the mark are getting their money's worth.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It seems to me that some of the college "darlings" are not getting the refs calls that they got in college--notably, Clark, Reese, and Boston in my opinion. Does anyone agree?

All of these players are very good, but Boston got away with tons of body contact at S.C., Clark tends to push off, and Reese's long limbs make frequent contact.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that some of the college "darlings" are not getting the refs calls that they got in college--notably, Clark, Reese, and Boston in my opinion. Does anyone agree?

All of these players are very good, but Boston got away with tons of body contact at S.C., Clark tends to push off, and Reese's long limbs make frequent contact.
It may be my Gamecock bias showing, but I feel like Boston is being unfairly treated by the refs. There have been a few questionable calls lately. Like, Jonquel Jones and AT get away with a lot more.

Reaction Score

I always disagreed about the notion that Boston got away with tons of body contact in college. One thing I always liked throughout her college career is that she generally played to the whistle that was called. She was never one to really gamble for the big play and was often patient on the defensive end but I can understand why non-fans don't feel that way.

As for this season I think the whistle she receives is quite ridiculous. I legitimately believes she gets the worse calls in the league right now. Compared to the whistle her peers receive it literally makes no sense. I do believe that's played a huge factor in her not so great start of the season. I was happy to see that she was able to be effective last night despite being in foul trouble to start the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom