May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | Page 11 | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

Reaction Score
Well said, JellyBean. Maddie has emerged as one of the Wings' best players, not surprisingly to those of us who got to see her play often the past few years.

She is everything Arike is not - unselfish, efficient and team-oriented. I watched the game last night, too, and was once again amazed at how shot-happy Arike is, whether they're falling or not. Yes, she had a 40-point game recently, but so many other times she does what she tried to do vs. the Sparks: shoot the Wings out of the game.

7 of 30? Whatever Muffet McGraw was teaching her players during the 2010s, it wasn't economy of shots. Among the most egregious in the WNBA are Arike and Jewell Loyd.

I hope Maddie can keep her perspective playing with Arike, or better, that she gets sent to another team fairly soon.
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the stats, 7 of 30!? I bet she shot them out of that game...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the stats, 7 of 30!? I bet she shot them out of that game...
I noticed that, too. She missed more shots than she scored points.

Something that I think some people don’t appreciate that every missed field goal is about 3/4 of an extra possession for your opponents, or about 3/4 of a turnover.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well said, JellyBean. Maddie has emerged as one of the Wings' best players, not surprisingly to those of us who got to see her play often the past few years.

She is everything Arike is not - unselfish, efficient and team-oriented. I watched the game last night, too, and was once again amazed at how shot-happy Arike is, whether they're falling or not. Yes, she had a 40-point game recently, but so many other times she does what she tried to do vs. the Sparks: shoot the Wings out of the game.

7 of 30? Whatever Muffet McGraw was teaching her players during the 2010s, it wasn't economy of shots. Among the most egregious in the WNBA are Arike and Jewell Loyd.

I hope Maddie can keep her perspective playing with Arike, or better, that she gets sent to another team fairly soon.
I am amazed Arike/Jewell haven’t learned better shot selection. Especially Arike who is in her 6th year and has never found much team success in the pros, largely due to the team’s over reliance on her. Maybe she’ll cut down on shots once Howard/Sabally are back, but she should never be chucking 20+ shots in a game at less than a 35% clip.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
McBride was in the zone today. 83% shooting! Hopefully this hot shooting continues for her. She is shooting 54% on this young season. Well done, Kayla!!

KMac started 10-10 and missed her last 2.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am amazed Arike/Jewell haven’t learned better shot selection. Especially Arike who is in her 6th year and has never found much team success in the pros, largely due to the team’s over reliance on her. Maybe she’ll cut down on shots once Howard/Sabally are back, but she should never be chucking 20+ shots in a game at less than a 35% clip.

When Jewell was playing with Stewie and Sue, especially, her shot selection was much better. She feels a need to play hero ball. Both Jewell and Arike can get off almost any shot they want, but need to be more efficient.

Reaction Score
When Jewell was playing with Stewie and Sue, especially, her shot selection was much better. She feels a need to play hero ball. Both Jewell and Arike can get off almost any shot they want, but need to be more efficient.
Sabrina is starting to get that way, feels she needs to shoot more. I think it's the Clark effect.
If you don't keep your inside people happy they won't keep giving you the ball.

Reaction Score
Sabrina is starting to get that way, feels she needs to shoot more. I think it's the Clark effect.
If you don't keep your inside people happy they won't keep giving you the ball.
The Clark Effect? LOL! Caitlin isn't even shooting very much... she's got two players defending her most of the time.

Reaction Score
In Europe this year, K-Mac shot 46% from the overall field, 46% from three and 85% from the FT line while making All-Euro during her championship season at Fenerbahce this international season. She's on a roll. Coach Reeve probably should keep an eye on those minutes so K-Mac and Phee have some legs later on in the season. (K-Mac will have the Olympic break but one should watch 'Phee. Good to have Dorka back.)
Yeah, Kayla had a pretty solid, like a lot of WNBA players, European offseason and I hope that she rides that hot shooting for a few more games. I agree with you on the minutes situation for Kayla and Phee. Minnesota had two OT games and both Phee and Kayla played 40 plus in those two games. We shall see what develops.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I've wondered why it seems like Sabrina is trying to play outside of her skill set. This makes sense. She may feel that she missed her moment originally and is trying to capitalize off someone else's. It's also possible that she feels the need to justify why she has a signature shoe (I'm still trying to figure that one out). This may also be her way of continuing to audition for Team USA.

On a related note, I still don't know why the Liberty were not scrutinized more for not addressing the glaring need that they have on their roster. Continuity isn't going to make those guards better defenders. There's still time for trades, but I can't seem them entertaining one for a guard (e.g. Brittney Sykes) unless they find themselves falling out of the Top 3 by the trade deadline.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Jewell's not a true #1 option IMO. I think Arike is, but she's never going to reign it in enough to improve her efficiency.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, with Memorial Day Weekend over, welcome back to the WNBA working week. And there's a lot going on in this abbreviated four weekday span:

West Heading East for Double-Dips (in a hurry)
  • Phoenix is doing a two-in-two days: Phoenix @ Conn Tuesday and New York Wednesday; Oh, then they go to Minnesota on Friday.
  • While Seattle @ Chicago on Tuesday and Indiana on Thursday;
  • And LA @ Indiana on Tuesday and heads over to Chitown on Thursday.

Interesting Early Season Showdown
- Las Vegas @ Minnesota on Wednesday.

Musings
  • Who will start with Boston, Clark and Mitchell for Indiana? Will Wallace be back from injury? Smith off the bench?
  • Will Las Vegas replace the recently cut Dyashia Fair? If memory holds, they have the money for someone at that scale.
Or does that mean Chelsea Gray is ready to return and they'll see how that plays out with she and 11 total players for awhile?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Question for Sparks fans/admirers: what is your organization/team doing? I thought the goal for this season was to lean on the rookies. Why does it seem like your team is promoting "the land of misfit toys" types ahead of the "future of the franchise types"?

I don't care how "good" Dearica Hamby has been. She shouldn't be the go-to player on a team that isn't going anywhere. This is a complete mess--a crappy team led by a 30-year-old with a chip on her shoulder. No thanks.

Reaction Score
Arike may be the first player ever on a shots restriction versus a minutes restriction. lol
Since she keeps on chucking up the shots, whether she’s hitting or not, I’m rather shocked that the coaching staff hasn’t addressed this already. Either they don’t mind that she does this, or don’t have control over her. Putting up 30 shots unless you’re really hot is ridiculous in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Early in the season the race between the Fever and Mercury for most points allowed shapes up to be record-breaking as the 90 points per game allowed by Clark and company is currently .2 ahead of the GOAT and her half step.

Couldn't find the all-time WNBA record for most points allowed in a season but you got to believe the Fever and Mercury could shatter it at their current pace.

Unlike offensive records fatigue, attitude, age can all support that record of allowing points.

I'm confident the million dollar coach in the Valley of the Sun will continue to struggle with implementing perimeter defense, physicality without fouling, and integrating personnel.. Early in the season when DT is beat she gets her money's worth.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Early in the season the race between the Fever and Mercury for most points allowed shapes up to be record-breaking as the 90 points per game allowed by Clark and company is currently .2 ahead of the GOAT and her half step.

Couldn't find the all-time WNBA record for most points allowed in a season but you got to believe the Fever and Mercury could shatter it at their current pace.

Unlike offensive records fatigue, attitude, age can all support that record of allowing points.

I'm confident the million dollar coach in the Valley of the Sun will continue to struggle with implementing perimeter defense, physicality without fouling, and integrating personnel.. Early in the season when DT is beat she gets her money's worth.

Guessing it's Phoenix during the Westhead/Gaines era. In 2010 Phoenix gave up 93.8 ppg which I believe is the record.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Clark Effect? LOL! Caitlin isn't even shooting very much... she's got two players defending her most of the time.
It might be because she is turning the ball over. One game she had two, the others had numerous turnovers. CC is not shooting the ball well either. She is being defended by a player, a pro ball player. Two defenders? Come on now… what are CC, Jewell and Arike percentages? Not good.

Reaction Score
It might be because she is turning the ball over. One game she had two, the others had numerous turnovers. CC is not shooting the ball well either. She is being defended by a player, a pro ball player. Two defenders? Come on now… what are CC, Jewell and Arike percentages? Not good.
Unlike Jewell and Arike, CC is at least trying to pass the ball and get her teammates in position.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Watch some Fever games—the TOs are usually aggressive passes that don’t work, and teams are setting up their entire defense to stop Clark. Every time there’s a screen, she gets doubled. The amount of energy spent on making sure she doesn’t get a clean handoff or an open look is unlike anything I’ve seen in the WNBA before.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hey Phoenix holding Connecticut WAY under 90 points today...unfortunately they might not crack the 50 point barrier. What's the lowest point total ever for a WNBA game? 63-41 Sun w/ 4 minutes left. If Taurasi and Copper are both off, Merc have zero chance in a game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
70-47 final Sun. Game was close thru Q1. DT and Copper combined 4-25 and 0-12 from 3. Ouch! Add in Cunningham also 2-11/0-5.

Oh my goodness! Merc 1-27 from 3. Are you kidding me? Isn't this the team that hit about 50 3's in 2 games against the Aces?! So...lucky or good in those games?

Sun shot 35% overall and 21% from 3 and won by a landslide. That's because the Merc were 24%/4%. Worst game in WNBA history?

edit--Merc added 20 TOs just for good measure, but I guess if you can't hit the broad side of a barn it doesn't matter if you turn the ball over, because you weren't gonna score anyway

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Clark w/ 15 FTA, that's different for her. Those are Jewell Loyd numbers. Career high 30 points. Gonna come up a little short. 21 for McDonald off the bench, 22 for Nurse.

edit--88-82 final

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom