May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand is why in general the top recruits often wait relatively late in the process to decide. It is their right of course, but many other people can be adversely affected by the wait. As a coach if you go for the top recruits, they wait, and if you don't get them, your remaining high level choices are limited.

The player is not showing a coach or program "respect" by keeping them on the list after you have ruled them out. Shortening the list as soon as you rule out a school helps those schools get to plan B while there is still time.

It is also very difficult for the next tier of recruits just below the top picks. If you are considered the 4th or 5th best SG in the country for example, that is very impressive, and you probably want to commit to a school where you have reasonable expectations to start. If you commit to a school like Uconn envisioning a successful role on in a great program, then the number 1 recruit at your position commits there, your dreams may be reduced to a backup role all four years.

If anything it would be better for coaches and players in terms of getting good fits, if the top stars committed first and the timeline on decisions went more from top to bottom. On the other hand since the top recruits do have great leverage, they may decide to wait and see how the rest of the recruiting class is going before they commit, saying if you can't produce at the other positions I'm not coming.

That is their right, but many affected people would be better off knowing as soon as their school was eliminated, and when the winner is chosen, the announcement made right away. That is harder for the player to do, than telling all of the unfortunate schools just before the winner is announced, but in my opinion is a better and more respectful way to do it.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand is why in general the top recruits often wait relatively late in the process to decide. It is their right of course, but many other people can be adversely affected by the wait. As a coach if you go for the top recruits, they wait, and if you don't get them, your remaining high level choices are limited.

The player is not showing a coach or program "respect" by keeping them on the list after you have ruled them out. Shortening the list as soon as you rule out a school helps those schools get to plan B while there is still time.

It is also very difficult for the next tier of recruits just below the top picks. If you are considered the 4th or 5th best SG in the country for example, that is very impressive, and you probably want to commit to a school where you have reasonable expectations to start. If you commit to a school like Uconn envisioning a successful role on in a great program, then the number 1 recruit at your position commits there, your dreams may be reduced to a backup role all four years.

If anything it would be better for coaches and players in terms of getting good fits, if the top stars committed first and the timeline on decisions went more from top to bottom. On the other hand since the top recruits do have great leverage, they may decide to wait and see how the rest of the recruiting class is going before they commit, saying if you can't produce at the other positions I'm not coming.

That is their right, but many affected people would be better off knowing as soon as their school was eliminated, and when the winner is chosen, the announcement made right away. That is harder for the player to do, than telling all of the unfortunate schools just before the winner is announced, but in my opinion is a better and more respectful way to do it.
Great post. Maybe, though, it is something as simple as Azzi doesn't know where she wants to go. Maybe, the virus causing recruits to not be able to visit campuses slowing the decision-making process. (Even though, in other sports there has been a huge uptick in early commits.)

Azzi can go to any school she wants, probably start from day one at the position she wants to play. Any school she chooses becomes an immediate title contender. Uconn makes the most sense but I thought the same thing about Boston.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, I wouldn’t get overly hung up about Azzi’s decision. UConn remains a prime landing spot for her for all the many reasons that don’t need to be restated. At the same time, the revolving door for top players at MD is clear to see for anyone as heavily invested in the recruiting process as the Fudd family.

One thing that has changed is the uncertainty that surrounds college sports during this pandemic. We don’t know yet if basketball will be played this coming season. There is the potential that the HS classes of 2020 & 2021 could be combined from an eligibility standpoint.

In addition, the desire to stay close to home, which has always been a major factor in recruiting, has only been heightened by the uncertainty of this pandemic. For many with college age children, keeping them close to home may be a priority right now.

With that said, I remain very hopeful that Azzi will end up in Storrs. In the meantime, everyone should give her some time and space to make the most important decision of her life, thus far, at one of the most challenging times anyone could imagine.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have no idea what will happen. No recruit is a sure thing until they sign on the dotted line. Not sure where your "notion" that Maryland has a better shot than UConn comes from. Funny how you felt the need to lecture the fans for having a positive notion Azzi may pick UConn yet voice your pessimistic notion that she will head elsewhere.
Reading comprehension is fundamental. I suspect we have a good shot at Azzi. I have been searching for something to explain her indecision. I came up with the pure conjecture - notion- that it may be a desire to be very close to the family, hence Maryland. I believe it is healthy fun to root for Azzi joining our Huskies. Some treat it as a foredrawn conclusion. That is unrealistic. I have no "pessimistic notion that she will head elsewhere." I have not said "Maryland has a better shot than UConn...." Being attacked for things I did not say is a pain in the butt.

Reaction Score
Reading comprehension is fundamental. I suspect we have a good shot at Azzi. I have been searching for something to explain her indecision. I came up with the pure conjecture - notion- that it may be a desire to be very close to the family, hence Maryland. I believe it is healthy fun to root for Azzi joining our Huskies. Some treat it as a foredrawn conclusion. That is unrealistic. I have no "pessimistic notion that she will head elsewhere." I have not said "Maryland has a better shot than UConn...." Being attacked for things I did not say is a pain in the butt.
Being attacked for things you do say is no day at the beach either... :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Paige is the better passer. Azzi is the better shooter. Both have excellent all-around games. Azzi won 2 of the 4 NPOY awards as a sophomore. Paige won all of them as a senior. I look at the two players as different, but pretty much equal. Each is the cornerstone to a great team. I hope it's the same team.

Reaction Score
IMO your post is missing the picture other than the bold.

As for Fudd- the reason why many of us are obsessing is because we don't agree with someone that looks at Fudd like you do. Please don't take my comment wrong. We all have opinions and mine yours anyone can be wrong and we respect each other's.

But I think you are way wrong. Fudd is a scorer that can shoot. You are just calling her a jump shooter. Big difference. Read a post made by eebmg page 10 of thread “Paige Daliy Video Allotment.” The underlined Paige tells us about her shooting. She is telling us she wants to pass. Watch some of the summer games form last year - the close ones she doesn't shoot much from 3. Fudd is the elite scorer she wants to pass to. You're not understanding imo how efficient and how great of a scorer Fudd is.

And instead of telling us which one you'd rather have -- why not say you want both? They are perfect for each other.

No guarantees of titles- but certainly guarantees of super super play. Why not want the best play possible to view? SO I don't get why it makes "zero sense" to want to see super play. IMO it makes no sense to not want a super scorer that is super efficient scoring.

Paige Unleashed. Were comments he quoted from Paige herself. Here is what Paige said in italics about her game--

“I always tell people, ‘You might be a better defender than me. You might be a better shooter than me. You might be a better finisher than me, but you will never be a better passer than me,’” Bueckers said. “I also take pride in my I.Q. and my ability to make my teammates and those around me better. I am a pretty good shooter and a pretty good finisher. I am a good dribbler, but I will always take pride in my passing first.”

is super important to the program because she may end up being one of if not the best shooter in UConn history..............when UConn looses it's almost always because the team simply can't put the ball in the basket..............with Buecker's passing and Fudd's high percentage shooting plus the skills of the rest of the team that's going to a very rare occurrence..........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I listened to the Azzi interview and it was rather vague. The only thing clear is she didn't really want to talk about recruiting and that telling the losing coaches will be hard for her. She didn't even want to name all the schools she's considering. She gave no indication playing near home is a primary factor for her decision. Who knows what happens but I thought the interview was a nothing burger in terms of where she's leaning.

My reference to her staying at home was a response to MDoggie’s comment. You are correct. She made no comment in regards to possibly staying home.

Reaction Score
Great post. Maybe, though, it is something as simple as Azzi doesn't know where she wants to go. Maybe, the virus causing recruits to not be able to visit campuses slowing the decision-making process. (Even though, in other sports there has been a huge uptick in early commits.)

Azzi can go to any school she wants, probably start from day one at the position she wants to play. Any school she chooses becomes an immediate title contender. Uconn makes the most sense but I thought the same thing about Boston.

Maybe she wants to go sightseeing.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She appears to be an outstanding young lady. She seems to have a high degree of integrity and humility. To see her wait to make the most decision of her young life indicates her self confidence. The easiest thing for her to do is to give in to the "After all it UConn!" sentiment and the constant badgering by her best friend. My advice to Azzi is stand firm and wait until your head and your heart join together in peace. And not that it matters, whatever decision you make Most of the BY will respect it and continue to wish you well (except once a year)

Reaction Score
This might offer some insight into Fudd going to SC. Last year Staley started 3 freshmen and kept them in the starting lineup all year. They developed quite a bit. Geno and freshmen don't usually mix. Even the #1 recruits like Walker and Williams have not fared all that well in their Freshmen years. This might be a concern to Fudd. I know if it were me it would.

Reaction Score
This might offer some insight into Fudd going to SC. Last year Staley started 3 freshmen and kept them in the starting lineup all year. They developed quite a bit. Geno and freshmen don't usually mix. Even the #1 recruits like Walker and Williams have not fared all that well in their Freshmen years. This might be a concern to Fudd. I know if it were me it would.

when you play basketball like Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd you don't worry much about playing time.....................;);)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If--heaven forbid--Azzi chooses a school other than UConn, will Paige have to move out of the Fudd household?
Paige can go "home" on breaks to visit Katie, Tim, Jon, and Jose. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
when you play basketball like Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd you don't worry much about playing time.....................;);)
Azzi is smart, well-coached, and really, really good. She will get major minutes, whether she starts or not.

The first time I saw her play, one of my thoughts was: 3,036. Maya's UConn career scoring record could be in jeopardy.

Who was the last player to lead UConn in scoring in each of her 4 seasons? Is this something that Azzi can do, if she becomes a Husky?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Azzi is smart, well-coached, and really, really good. She will get major minutes, whether she starts or not.

The first time I saw her play, one of my thoughts was: 3,036. Maya's UConn career scoring record could be in jeopardy.

Who was the last player to lead UConn in scoring in each of her 4 seasons? Is this something that Azzi can do, if she becomes a Husky?
19.8 ppg to break Maya's record that's playing all 39 games for 4 years. She would be playing about 25 minutes a game for half the games. Incredible feat, but it would be in tandem for 3 years with 2 superb pass first points and threats in the low post (Liv and Aaliyah and Ice) and opposite wings that can shoot from another zip code. 7-8 made baskets 4 to 6 FTs every game. The team would have to average 80+ every game. It would definitely be a team effort, but this team could do it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
19.8 ppg to break Maya's record that's playing all 39 games for 4 years. She would be playing about 25 minutes a game for half the games. Incredible feat, but it would be in tandem for 3 years with 2 superb pass first points and threats in the low post (Liv and Aaliyah and Ice) and opposite wings that can shoot from another zip code. 7-8 made baskets 4 to 6 FTs every game. The team would have to average 80+ every game. It would definitely be a team effort, but this team could do it.

Gonna be nearly impossible for anyone to surpass Maya's scoring record for two main reasons. One, few freshmen score 17+ PPG, especially at UConn. That gave Maya a big head start. Two, she put up nearly 23 PPG as a senior, and one of the reasons is because that team was very young and she had to shoulder the scoring load.

Reaction Score
Paige is the better passer. Azzi is the better shooter. Both have excellent all-around games. Azzi won 2 of the 4 NPOY awards as a sophomore. Paige won all of them as a senior. I look at the two players as different, but pretty much equal. Each is the cornerstone to a great team. I hope it's the same team.

Azzi was the featured ball handler on a team of all stars that were on average two years older than herself.

Bueckers was an excellent starter, but role player, a year younger than most.

Both good, but there isn't much question which was the better player two years ago.

I say that assuming like most that she ends up in Storrs also.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Azzi was the featured ball handler on a team of all stars that were on average two years older than herself.

What is this in reference to?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Both good, but there isn't much question which was the better player two years ago.

Bueckers? Seriously, show me Azzi doing the things Paige can and did do as a sophomore.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I put their workout drill in another thread this AM, but this is more appropriate. Paige's ball handling is more advanced than Azzi's, but you are not allowed to play with 2 balls. In the shooting drills around the hoop Paige's use of her left hand is a thing of beauty, while Azzi is using her right hand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom