May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Reaction Score
Reading comprehension is fundamental. I suspect we have a good shot at Azzi. I have been searching for something to explain her indecision. I came up with the pure conjecture - notion- that it may be a desire to be very close to the family, hence Maryland. I believe it is healthy fun to root for Azzi joining our Huskies. Some treat it as a foredrawn conclusion. That is unrealistic. I have no "pessimistic notion that she will head elsewhere." I have not said "Maryland has a better shot than UConn...." Being attacked for things I did not say is a pain in the butt.

I can give a really good reason. Suppose that it was Miss St that Azzi loved so much that she committed last November, fully 2 years ahead of the normal signing period. She tells the other schools that they lose and then months later she finds out Vic is gone? Sure, she can re-start the process but as someone stated, it's late in the recruiting cycle and while any school would figure out a way to take her it would be a messy process. For Fudd what she is doing makes perfect sense if we take her word that she doesn't know, and I believe her. Bueckers knew and didn't want to jerk other programs around. Look at Brady.
A lot of recruits that winnow down their list over time like to keep UConn offers open just for the prestige. Fudd I think is just slow at deciding but I'm sure there's a schedule.
My suspicion is still UConn for the reason that it offers the biggest challenge and that has been a big magnet for HSPOY types like Moore Stewart et al. Fudd is the best and works like she's behind. The lure of UConn is in the challenge.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Here's another, very logical reason for Fudd to wait, at least if they have a season this year. I believe they have until the spring of their senior season to sign, correct? If that is the case Bueckers can give her a detailed report on playing for UConn before Fudd needs to make a decision. Not saying I think that is the likely reason, but it would be a smart reason.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Azzi comes to UConn, I agree that chasing Maya's 3,036-point record will be a big challenge. Maya's freshman and senior seasons were key. She scored way more than a normal freshman, and her senior scoring average was exceptionally high. I also think that UConn will have too much balance for Azzi to get a lot of shots, but if I'm coaching Azzi, she always has the green light.

When I first saw Azzi and thought about the 3,036 record, it was 2.5 years ago. I didn't know what UConn's roster would look like back then. We now will have lots of depth and balance. But Azzi puts the ball in the hoop better than anyone in the women's game.

Reaction Score
Enough with Azzi Fudd.
She is not coming to UCONN.
Like Geno has said in the past he only wants girls who want to play for UCONN.
If she was really excited to come and had dreams of playing at UCONN she would have committed by now.

Reaction Score
Enough with Azzi Fudd.
If she was really excited to come and had dreams of playing at UCONN she would have committed by now.

it's a good thing you let us know..................it appears that Geno is still communicating with Azzi on a regular basis..................I guess he mistakenly thinks he still has a chance................we're going to have the moderators contact him and tell him to forget about Azzi before he wastes any more time............;)

Reaction Score
Enough with Azzi Fudd.

Really? UConn hasn’t had a lot of players commit during their Senior year? Didn’t Olivia commit during her Senior year? No one cares or remembers when players commit. They only care about where you play.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Enough with Azzi Fudd.
Do you remember the video of everyone sitting around the Fudd kitchen and Grandpa Fudd told Tim, 'When Geno calls tell him ....". Evidently Geno and the Fudd family are very familiar with each other. My feeling 60-40 Azzi plays with her best bud in an attempt to be the best WCBB player ever.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Really? UConn hasn’t had a lot of players commit during their Senior year? Didn’t Olivia commit during her Senior year? No one cares or remembers when players commit. They only care about where you play.
I think Stewie replied at the last minute.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I can give a really good reason. Suppose that it was Miss St that Azzi loved so much that she committed last November, fully 2 years ahead of the normal signing period. She tells the other schools that they lose and then months later she finds out Vic is gone? Sure, she can re-start the process but as someone stated, it's late in the recruiting cycle and while any school would figure out a way to take her it would be a messy process. For Fudd what she is doing makes perfect sense if we take her word that she doesn't know, and I believe her. Bueckers knew and didn't want to jerk other programs around. Look at Brady.
A lot of recruits that winnow down their list over time like to keep UConn offers open just for the prestige. Fudd I think is just slow at deciding but I'm sure there's a schedule.
My suspicion is still UConn for the reason that it offers the biggest challenge and that has been a big magnet for HSPOY types like Moore Stewart et al. Fudd is the best and works like she's behind. The lure of UConn is in the challenge.
It is great wisdom to not provide too early a reply in case situations change later. Look at Charlie Collier; if she did not commit until after the hurricane she never would have committed to UConn. Once the hurricane hit she knew she didn't want to be too far from home in an emergency.

Reaction Score
It is great wisdom to not provide too early a reply in case situations change later. Look at Charlie Collier; if she did not commit until after the hurricane she never would have committed to UConn. Once the hurricane hit she knew she didn't want to be too far from home in an emergency.

Hurricane season is upon us, Geno has already hired a construction crew to put the Fudd family house on stilts..............

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Here's another, very logical reason for Fudd to wait, at least if they have a season this year. I believe they have until the spring of their senior season to sign, correct? If that is the case Bueckers can give her a detailed report on playing for UConn before Fudd needs to make a decision. Not saying I think that is the likely reason, but it would be a smart reason.
Actually, a recruit doesn't have to sign an LOI at all. They can show up for the start of the college semester/quarter classes before the final day of enrollment (like Sabrina Ionescu did at Oregon), and sign an ASA.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So did Liv and C. Williams. Geno was surprised by both of them.
"Surprised" is not the right description, but it is true that he was not sure of their decisions until about 24 hours before they announced it publicly. He was hopeful but not certain, just as he probably is now about Azzi.

By the way, Kiah Stokes was a late commitment, as were Bria Hartley and Megan Walker. Stewie, however, was not. She may have signed her LOI at the last minute on the roof of a car, but she committed verbally at the Duke game in the spring of her junior year.

Reaction Score
Stewie will have Azzi on tomorrow at 8

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.10.41 PM (wecompress.com).png

Reaction Score
Is Paige moving to Maryland?....... does anyone know what part? If she moves close to DC she could go to St Johns and be a teammate of Azzi

Edit..........I guess I am a year off

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Paige moving to Maryland?....... does anyone know what part? If she moves close to DC she could go to St Johns and be a teammate of Azzi
If she has a time machine and travel back a year then they could be teammates. But if she doesn't, Paige will be a freshman at uconn this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Yes, she could if she wants to repeat her senior year.

Reaction Score
This might offer some insight into Fudd going to SC. Last year Staley started 3 freshmen and kept them in the starting lineup all year. They developed quite a bit. Geno and freshmen don't usually mix. Even the #1 recruits like Walker and Williams have not fared all that well in their Freshmen years. This might be a concern to Fudd. I know if it were me it would.
If a girl is apprehensive to commit to your school because she’s worried about starting as a freshman then let her go some place else...and I’d be willing to bet Geno would feel the same way. I also would be willing to bet that’s of zero concern to Azzi. She’s 100% a team first player and by all accounts really just seems to ‘get it.’ She’s super talented, unselfish, a great teammate and extremely hard working....it’s just super obvious the minutes will be there as a freshman and I gotta think starting is a non factor and of no concern to her

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In one of the interviews/videos, Paige said her family is moving to Maryland. I don't know where. She could be up near Delaware, out toward West Virginia, on the Eastern Shore, or near D.C. My guess is that she'll be in the D.C. Metro Area, as that is a huge source of jobs, but I have no idea.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Really? How? Maybe EDD could join them. She is in that area often.
I'm about 1.25 miles from Elena and 6 or so miles in the other direction from Azzi. Surrounded by great shooters! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom