May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was more impressed with her in this video than about any other time I've seen her. The variety of skill shown to go with her IQ gives me a lot of hope she can approach being an impact player. A year ago I was leaning more towards her being a Kathryn Westbeld type role player which still would've been helpful. She appears to have more upside than that.
Remember that this video is from 15 months ago. Saylor is now taller, stronger, and better. In this video, I saw Saylor commit TOs and make mistakes that I didn’t see in the 3 games I attended during her junior season. That’s not to say that Saylor played perfectly when I saw her, but she was more experienced and decidedly better. In the video, Saylor had about 29 points, 15 rebounds, and 6+ blocks. Not too shabby for a sophomore. Again, she may be the most versatile player I’ve seen in years (since Maya, but she’s not at Maya’s level, because no one is).

Reaction Score
The more I read about her, the more unsure I am UConn will land her. To have a list of seven schools at this point, I think is a lot. To all you confident boneyarders I say remember Boston. She was a lock until she wasn’t. By the time Boston made her decision, I believe on either the last day or next to last day of the recruiting period, all the other top level talent was off the board. I think UConn should focus on some Of the remaining 2021 recruits. They probably are but we just don’t know it.

With Boston the confidence came mostly from her attendance at so many UConn games. The trouble with that was that she was a short ride from Gampel. What many didn't factor was that she really wasn't a local girl and we knew nothing about her parents who might have been a big influence. And with apologies to Worcester folks but after growing up in the Virgin Islands I would be sick of NE winter after 4 years .

We know a lot more about Fudd and her parents.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But a team that has lots of elite players who transfer out.

The reality of MD may be less than the recruiting hype promises and if true then MR & Mrs Fudd would know that having lived nearby and being AAU coaches. Notice that neither McClean nor Poffenbarger (MD residents) bought the sales pitch.

Reaction Score
Just listened to a Fudd Interview where she says that Brenda offered her in the 6th grade. :confused:

Reaction Score
What? It means it is not a 1 in 7 chance as per her list of schools she says are still in the running. AND GIVEN all her UConn Visits and references I agree with Charlie. I am at a complete loss over your moniker and various posts as you never offer any qualitative or quantitative support for most of your comments hence “troll”.
So basically I think your assessment is so far off of any logic, please feel to move along...
If you don't like my posts ignore them...I have a thousand likes in 11 months..hardly fits the definition of troll...get some counseling for your anger issues brother..:cool:

Reaction Score
View attachment 54699
I think I know less now about Azzi's recruitment than (I thought) I knew before I listened to that interview.
I'm kind of surprised that this confused you. This was the standard, soft ball interview that most of the top recruited kids get. And gave the same standard, non committal answers that most intelligent recruits give. Just like her buddy Bueckers gave before committing. Her parents know the recruiting game and she's been coached well. There was nothing to see here.

Reaction Score

Narrowing it down to 7 is just a good way of camouflaging the whole thing until she gets up the courage to call the losing coaches. It's tough to do and I understand it. If she doesn't keep the number that high, some of the coaches will do the math and start to feel like she's playing them a little so it's a good approach. IMO, the number is much lower than 7. Right around 1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The reality of MD may be less than the recruiting hype promises and if true then MR & Mrs Fudd would know that having lived nearby and being AAU coaches. Notice that neither McClean nor Poffenbarger (MD residents) bought the sales pitch.
I think Saylor is a friend of Azzi.

Reaction Score
If you don't like my posts ignore them...I have a thousand likes in 11 months..hardly fits the definition of troll...get some counseling for your anger issues brother..:cool:

You are only as good as your last post. And if you need to trot out your “likes” to support your standing...well, that’s a little sad.

Reaction Score
Closer to 900 than a thousand Just sayin:oops:

Reaction Score
Just listened to a Fudd Interview where she says that Brenda offered her in the 6th grade. :confused:

It is part of Frese's strategy to offer very early and staying in touch. Then they feel "special" and if they develop in a few years they will get an honest offer. Frese contacted one of my girls early just like a couple of hundred others. Then disappeared later.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m thinking she stays close to home and picks Maryland. She will be to Maryland what Sky Diggins was to ND.

There for awhile, I had my heart set on her coming to UConn. Yes, I drank (heavily) from the Fudd kool-aide pitcher. Based on her presence at several UConn games, and her friendship with Bueckers, I was thinking she was a heavy UConn lean.

Her camp has been very “tight lipped” with any news about her college recruitment. Now I’m not so sure. I learned a lesson from the Boston decision.

I would love to have her in our program for four years. However I think I’ll temper my optimism at this point, and just hope for the best, because it appears she hasn’t made up her mind yet. Doggie, you may have something....maybe. All things considered, she just may choose to stay close to home, and enjoy all of the “perks” playing in her backyard will afford her. In reality, I can't see us losing her to Maryland. Maybe another program, but not Maryland. :confused: The ONLY thing Maryland has over UConn here is logistics.

She is the crown jewel of her class. She has her choice of any program in the country. Not many recruits can say that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There for awhile, I had my heart set on her coming to UConn. Yes, I drank (heavily) from the Fudd kool-aide pitcher. Her camp has been very “tight lipped” with any news about her college recruitment. Now I’m not so sure. I learned a lesson from the Boston decision.

I would love to have her in our program for four years, but I think I’ll temper my optimism at this point, and just hope for the best because it appears she hasn’t made up her mind yet. Doggie, you may be right. All things considered, she might choose to stay close to home, and enjoy all of the “perks” playing in your backyard affords you.
What made you lose your optimism? Surely nothing in this interview was it? I like your choice of the word “appears” because as you know, appearances can be deceiving. And perks at Maryland? Like watching your teammates transfer? C’mon man, have a little faith.

Reaction Score
The more I read about her, the more unsure I am UConn will land her. To have a list of seven schools at this point, I think is a lot. To all you confident boneyarders I say remember Boston. She was a lock until she wasn’t. By the time Boston made her decision, I believe on either the last day or next to last day of the recruiting period, all the other top level talent was off the board. I think UConn should focus on some Of the remaining 2021 recruits. They probably are but we just don’t know it.

I will never understand this line of thinking from a UCONN wcbb fan. The bold to me is so odd. You realize UCONN also waited on recruits and eventually gotten them late, right? So throw that all away-- forget about the wins we've had with late recruiting because you happen to be scared this might be same as Boston?

And as for the italics-- Azzi Fudd was considered as a sophomore the best player in H/S before she got hurt. UCONN has built a perfect team for her to eventually show off her skills in addition to Auriemma loves fast-paced basketball which fits in perfectly with what UCONN has now and what is coming.

Further, much younger kids grow up and watch the college game. The superstar players have an impact on the young up-and-comers. If UCONN gets Azzi- it's close your eyes UCONN is 1-2 in the country for 4 additional years leading into NCAA Tourney. You don't give up on this because you're scared.

Azzi Fudd fits so perfect into UCONN (though probably every school can say same thing). But with UCONN, as currently constructed, she isn't going to be facing any box-and-ones, or triangle-and-two's, or playing slow-down ball. Her mere presence is going to allow all of wcbb (not just UCONN fans) an opportunity to see a potential real "showtime" type of game. You don't give up on that potential possibility.

Reaction Score
That has been a notion I've been playing with for a few weeks The draw of a strong team close to home.

I have no idea what will happen. No recruit is a sure thing until they sign on the dotted line. Not sure where your "notion" that Maryland has a better shot than UConn comes from. Funny how you felt the need to lecture the fans for having a positive notion Azzi may pick UConn yet voice your pessimistic notion that she will head elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I would love to have her in our program for four years. However I think I’ll temper my optimism at this point, and just hope for the best, because it appears she hasn’t made up her mind yet. Doggie, you may be right. All things considered, she just may choose to stay close to home, and enjoy all of the “perks” playing in your backyard affords you.

There are "perks" playing for Frese? Listening to her corny halftime pep talks? At least Pat's got you fired up and didn't make you want to burst out laughing at her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What made you lose your optimism? Surely nothing in this interview was it? I like your choice of the word “appears” because as you know, appearances can be deceiving. And perks at Maryland? Like watching your teammates transfer? C’mon man, have a little faith.

More disappointment than anything. Still considering 7 programs at this late date? With all she knows about UConn, and all she has seen over the last 2-3 years. The fact that her best friend has committed to come here, and she’s still undecided? A player seriously considering UConn (I think) would know by now. I was never optimistic about Carrington coming here, and she only had 3 schools to choose from.

Until I listened to this podcast, I thought perhaps she had made her decision, and was just waiting for the proper time to announce it. Not so. We’re 1 of 7. That means we have a 14% chance of landing her. Can’t say I like those odds. I hope Bueckers can sway the odds in our favor, and convince her to come to Storrs. I’m not giving up, just not as sure as I once was.

I agree that her camp should pay close attention to the recent transfers out of Maryland.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are "perks" playing for Frese? Listening to her corny halftime pep talks? At least Pat's got you fired up and didn't make you want to burst out laughing at her.

Playing close home. Having your family and friends at every home game. Being able to go home on weekends, etc. She may not see Frese’s warts like we do. Maryland continues to recruit well. Like so many other boneyarders, I’ve given up trying to figure out the thought process of 17-18 year old girls. I haven’t given up hope, I‘m simply taking what she said seriously. Nothing is going to change between now and the early NLI signing period in November. I’m just not as sure as I was this morning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More disappointment than anything. Still considering 7 programs at this late date? With all she knows about UConn, and all she has seen over the last 2-3 years. The fact that her best friend has committed to come here, and she’s still undecided? A player seriously considering UConn (I think) would know by now. I was never optimistic about Carrington coming here, and she only had 3 schools to choose from.

Until I listened to this podcast, I thought perhaps she had made her decision, and was just waiting for the proper time to announce it. Not so. We’re 1 of 7. That means we have a 14% chance of landing her. Can’t say I like those odds. I hope Bueckers can sway the odds in our favor, and convince her to come to Storrs. I’m not giving up, just not as sure as I once was.

I agree that her camp should pay close attention to the recent transfers out of Maryland.
I haven't seen the article or video where she says there's 7 finalists but even if she says she's undecided it doesn't necessarily mean she is. See what I said about 13 posts above this one.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Jackson is on my top 5 want list over the next two classes. I’m very impressed with her skillset, maturity and her overall attitude. She appears to be a prototypical UConn recruit. She said in an interview this past season that she would like to come to UConn. I hope her outlook in that regard won’t change. Not only would she be a great teammate, she'd be a great leader and mentor to those coming in behind her.

I’m going to assume that she’s on UConn’s radar, and they have either offered her, or are watching her very closely, and will do so soon. It might be hard to pry her out of Texas. Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M do a pretty good job of keeping their top tier talent in state. I'm sure those 3 programs will "rush" her very hard.

If you are not familiar with Ashlon Jackson, allow me to introduce you.................... :)

1590517314717.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Playing close home. Having your family and friends at every home game. Being able to go home on weekends, etc. She may not see Frese’s warts like we do. Maryland continues to recruit well. Like so many other boneyarders, I’ve given up trying to figure out the thought process of 17-18 year old girls. I haven’t given up hope, I‘m simply taking what she said seriously. Nothing is going to change between now and the early NLI signing period in November. I’m just not as sure as I was this morning.

I listened to the Azzi interview and it was rather vague. The only thing clear is she didn't really want to talk about recruiting and that telling the losing coaches will be hard for her. She didn't even want to name all the schools she's considering. She gave no indication playing near home is a primary factor for her decision. Who knows what happens but I thought the interview was a nothing burger in terms of where she's leaning.

Reaction Score
There for awhile, I had my heart set on her coming to UConn. Yes, I drank (heavily) from the Fudd kool-aide pitcher. Based on her presence at several UConn games, and her friendship with Bueckers, I was thinking she was a heavy UConn lean.

Her camp has been very “tight lipped” with any news about her college recruitment. Now I’m not so sure. I learned a lesson from the Boston decision.

I would love to have her in our program for four years. However I think I’ll temper my optimism at this point, and just hope for the best, because it appears she hasn’t made up her mind yet. Doggie, you may be right. All things considered, she just may choose to stay close to home, and enjoy all of the “perks” playing in your backyard affords you.

She is the crown jewel of her class. She has her choice of any program in the country. Not many recruits can say that.
She may be the crown jewel of her class but there is no doubt in my mind the girl we have coming in this year will have a significantly bigger impact over their respective 4 year careers. If you gave me the option to choose either/or but not both I choose the Minnesotan 100x out of 100. I have no doubt will be a star but let’s keep some perspective she’s a jump shooter...albeit an uber elite one. I think many here believe she’s another DT/Maya/Stevie and we’re guaranteed 4 Nattys over the next 4 years if she comes here and guaranteed 0 if she goes elsewhere and I just think that’s terribly misguided.

I’ve said it once and I’ll keep saying it til she either commits or doesn’t...no one recruit is bigger than the program and we have an enormous amount of talent coming in the next few years. Why can’t we just focus on that instead of obsessing over the one recruit that hasn’t decided yet? Idk it just makes zero sense to me.

Reaction Score
She may be the crown jewel of her class but there is no doubt in my mind the girl we have coming in this year will have a significantly bigger impact over their respective 4 year careers. If you gave me the option to choose either/or but not both I choose the Minnesotan 100x out of 100. I have no doubt will be a star but let’s keep some perspective she’s a jump shooter...albeit an uber elite one. I think many here believe she’s another DT/Maya/Stevie and we’re guaranteed 4 Nattys over the next 4 years if she comes here and guaranteed 0 if she goes elsewhere and I just think that’s terribly misguided.

I’ve said it once and I’ll keep saying it til she either commits or doesn’t...no one recruit is bigger than the program and we have an enormous amount of talent coming in the next few years. Why can’t we just focus on that instead of obsessing over the one recruit that hasn’t decided yet? Idk it just makes zero sense to me.

IMO your post is missing the picture other than the bold.

As for Fudd- the reason why many of us are obsessing is because we don't agree with someone that looks at Fudd like you do. Please don't take my comment wrong. We all have opinions and mine yours anyone can be wrong and we respect each other's.

But I think you are way wrong. Fudd is a scorer that can shoot. You are just calling her a jump shooter. Big difference. Read a post made by eebmg page 10 of thread “Paige Daliy Video Allotment.” The underlined Paige tells us about her shooting. She is telling us she wants to pass. Watch some of the summer games form last year - the close ones she doesn't shoot much from 3. Fudd is the elite scorer she wants to pass to. You're not understanding imo how efficient and how great of a scorer Fudd is.

And instead of telling us which one you'd rather have -- why not say you want both? They are perfect for each other.

No guarantees of titles- but certainly guarantees of super super play. Why not want the best play possible to view? SO I don't get why it makes "zero sense" to want to see super play. IMO it makes no sense to not want a super scorer that is super efficient scoring.

Paige Unleashed. Were comments he quoted from Paige herself. Here is what Paige said in italics about her game--

“I always tell people, ‘You might be a better defender than me. You might be a better shooter than me. You might be a better finisher than me, but you will never be a better passer than me,’” Bueckers said. “I also take pride in my I.Q. and my ability to make my teammates and those around me better. I am a pretty good shooter and a pretty good finisher. I am a good dribbler, but I will always take pride in my passing first.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and as a fan, I would love to see two best friends playing on our team. The human interaction makes the team even more fun. I always loved seeing the Lou / Pheesa interactions on the bench and it would be a shame if they do not play together helping each other be the best they can be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom