Maryland post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Reaction Score
UConn is making football look way too difficult. I don't think we expected a win against Maryland, I sure as hell did not. I know Maryland or Duke will be the toughest game of the season for UConn, but right now they are not even competitive that is what bothers me the most. Maryland's coach used this game as a glorified scrimmage to develop him back up players, and he did this early in the game. Maryland could've won 80-0 if they really wanted to.

However, I think the most troubling thing starting from game 1 of last year is that Mora and the coaches are not getting the players to play better and above their expectations to any degree. In other words, he is not getting the team to be a sum greater than their individual parts. In order to for UConn to get to the Big 12, they need to have a loud raucous fan atmosphere at the Rent with maybe 75% or greater capacity. In order for that to happen they need to be competitive and have some semblance of a modern offense so the product is entertaining. Today's game did not get UConn closer to that goal.

Teams like North Dakota State and Appalachian State would whoop this UConn team and they would defeat their fair share of lower level D-1A teams. Those teams' coaching salary pool is much less than UConn's. How are they consistently better than UConn? I am asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
Skyler Bell was great. Fagnano looked better than I expected but still a lot of room for improvement. Everything else was terrible, especially the coaching. The game was over when we saved 50 seconds just to give the ball away before the half.

Maryland may be pretty good, we’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets and we can find a little bit of joy this fall. But its hard not to feel like we’re in a never ending spiral.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Skyler Bell was great. Fagnano looked better than I expected but still a lot of room for improvement. Everything else was terrible, especially the coaching. The game was over when we saved 50 seconds just to give the ball away before the half.

Maryland may be pretty good, we’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets and we can find a little bit of joy this fall. But its hard not to feel like we’re in a never ending spiral.
I hope they go 10-2.

Reaction Score
The biggest challenge for this program is there is not enough talent in this area of the country. If we want more talented players from other parts of the country we need some success for them to want to come and stay here. Catch 22
Oh and Wyoming has boat loads of talent in their area of the country. North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, etc. Hell, how many "talented players" has Coach Prime gotten from Colorado. UConn will always depend on out of state talent.

Reaction Score
Faumuina-Brown can't be playing this much. Brinson is the guy on the cover of all those O video practice snippets the last three years. Rante's game has regressed after he shortened his name. What happened there? Thought Evers was going to be more elusive, shifty, possessing more football moves etc. even against the better competition. Hope he is ok and that the team will grow throughout the season.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I didn't really get to watch most of the game as I was at the Pitt game. I checked in often, saw Fagnano's INT and a lot of missed tackles.

Not having seen the flow of the game, I'm looking at stats and noticed UConn gave up no sacks and only one TFL. Yet Evers didn't do squat passing - seemed he bailed to the run quite often. So my question is, were most of Evers runs designed or a result of the pocket collapsing or just a bad option scheme (I noticed many of you mentioning too many rollouts). Is the O Line decent? Were passes just off target or missed badly or thrown into coverage? Help a guy try to understand why UConn got 310 yds and only a single TD.

Btw, while Pitt was only playing Kent State, the offense looked pretty damned good, scoring 55 pts. They plucked their new OC from mighty Western Carolina.

Reaction Score
UConn is making football look way too difficult. I don't think we expected a win against Maryland, I sure as hell did not. I know Maryland or Duke will be the toughest game of the season for UConn, but right now they are not even competitive that is what bothers me the most. Maryland's coach used this game as a glorified scrimmage to develop him back up players, and he did this early in the game. Maryland could've won 80-0 if they really wanted to.

However, I think the most troubling thing starting from game 1 of last year is that Mora and the coaches are not getting the players to play better and above their expectations to any degree. In other words, he is not getting the team to be a sum greater than their individual parts. In order to for UConn to get to the Big 12, they need to have a loud raucous fan atmosphere at the Rent with maybe 75% or greater capacity. In order for that to happen they need to be competitive and have some semblance of a modern offense so the product is entertaining. Today's game did not get UConn closer to that goal.

Teams like North Dakota State and Appalachian State would whoop this UConn team and they would defeat their fair share of lower level D-1A teams. Those teams' coaching salary pool is much less than UConn's. How are they consistently better than UConn? I am asking for a friend.
How is App State consistently better? They are in a Conference and mostly playing teams at their level and winning.

Independence is death for the football program.

Reaction Score
About what we should have expected on the road against a quality team. Plenty of wins remaining on the schedule, including next week. I see a big win against Merrimack by at least 20 points.

Reaction Score
Same old story! Tackling ia a big problem. Specialty teams also. Lost for words on the offense. Any report yet on Evers and any other hurt players? Hoping for a close one but got this.......... No words can cover how this day went.

Reaction Score
I didn't really get to watch most of the game as I was at the Pitt game. I checked in often, saw Fagnano's INT and a lot of missed tackles.

Having seen the flow of the game, I'm looking at stats and noticed UConn gave up no sacks and only one TFL. Yet Evers didn't do squat passing - seemed he bailed to the run quite often. So my question is, were most of Evers runs designed or a result of the pocket collapsing or just a bad option scheme (I noticed many of you mentioning too many rollouts). Is the O Line decent? Were passes just off target or missed badly or thrown into coverage? Help a guy try to understand why UConn got 310 yds and only a single TD.
Almost every pass play was a rollout. He just chucked it OOB a ton. There were a couple big drops but you can tell he hasn't played football in a while

Reaction Score
Mora said during a sideline post-game interview something like "that team today was not the one I've been seeing the last few weeks", or something like that. Well, that team we saw today was like what we saw last year, so not sure what his surprise was about.

For the few hundred people that went to the open practice at The Rent a couple weeks ago, this was the same exact offense that we saw.

Plenty of WR’s that couldn’t catch and terrible qb play outside of Welliver.

Reaction Score
Watch N Dakota battle against a superior ISU team and you’re watching good football players hold their own because they execute fundamentals. We are poorly coached.

Reaction Score
I was thinking. This is what 1 million gets you? Yikes.
We keep saying a million but I'm wonder how much other programs are actually paying. I bet we aren't as significant spending wise as we think. Maybe I'm wrong but when I hear numbers like 20 mil for OSU (yes i get its OSU) but if causes pause on what we are doing. Maybe 1 mil is enough of a gap for some programs, this program needs about 30 mil NIL at this point.

Reaction Score
Rante's game has regressed after he shortened his name. What happened there?
He only played one quarter... he was suspended for the first half for a targeting foul last season, and then was ejected for targeting at the start of the 4th quarter although Faumuina-Brown could've also been called.

Reaction Score
For the few hundred people that went to the open practice at The Rent a couple weeks ago, this was the same exact offense that we saw.

Plenty of WR’s that couldn’t catch and terrible qb play outside of Welliver.
People have been talking up Evers speed. Where was it?

Reaction Score
We keep saying a million but I'm wonder how much other programs are actually paying. I bet we aren't as significant spending wise as we think. Maybe I'm wrong but when I hear numbers like 20 mil for OSU (yes i get its OSU) but if causes pause on what we are doing. Maybe 1 mil is enough of a gap for some programs, this program needs about 30 mil NIL at this point.
wholeheartedly reject this principle. If the FCS schools i mentioned earlier (ND, ND State, W Carolina) can play ball with P4 programs and earn legit respect from them even with a loss, we don't get to ask for more and more and more money, just to get blown out and look like we are clueless in all 3 phases.

I don't mind losing to a maryland, syracuse, or duke - I DO mind making a mockery of the uconn block C year after year, looking like a rec league pickup team that just met 20 min before kickoff

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Money can buy players but coaching is the key factor. Uconn can use the players they bought with a million bucks and be very competitive but for the third straight season we have seen poor tackling and horrible play calling. That's on coaching. Being a top level player closes some issues but you can't just piece together a team of bought players and have instant success. Coaching matters and this program has continuously struck out over and over again in that department.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom