Maryland post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Reaction Score
Bell looked pretty good today and will keep us competitive in many games this season.

Sheffield and Hansen both looked okay with limited touches. The former is as good as any WRs that started for us in recent years.

Robinson/Edwards will get better looks when we are not play P4 talent.

There was more balance in this one game compared to previous years. We need to start our best QB next week, regardless of NIL contracts or worrying about burning redshirts. I am hopeful that this will be our worst game of the season.

Today's defense was Edsall 2.0 level. We have to be better.

Reaction Score
Mora has been a disappointment, plain and simple. I for sure thought he would be able to recruit and bring in some much needed real talent. Big fail. Now in this era of transfer portal and NIL, he's still not able to bring in any real talent instead bottom feeding from even worse schools. I really question if he is hungry and willing to put in the necessary work in to get good talent?!?

As for coaching, he has simply recruited a lot of friends and coaches he is comfortable with. Again, very unimaginative schemes.

At this point, I'm not sure if he is the right guy. Start over with a young coach/assistant who is creative and will take risks.

Reaction Score
How is App State consistently better? They are in a Conference and mostly playing teams at their level and winning.

Independence is death for the football program.
Thanks for your response, sincerely. My response or slight rebuttal, if you want to call it that, is I am sure those teams in the Sun Belt conference don't have money and resources that UConn has. Conference affiliation is important but I don't think that can be an excuse for the ineptitude of UConn Football for a decade-plus. Besides they were in the AAC for 7 years. So, how are those teams doing consistently better than UConn with less money even when UConn was in the AAC in years past and now with NIL money being a bigger driver even with UConn's independence?

StorrsRoars said it in the post above that Kade Bell, Pitt's OC, coached an explosive Western Carolina offense in FCS, and he makes around $500K/year. I know Pitt has ACC money, but $500k/year for a competent OC seems affordable for UConn and would be money well spent. Instead UConn has an rookie OC who was an offensive line coach for many years, SMH.

Maybe UConn turn this around, but today was more of the same.

Reaction Score
What does that mean?

Maryland has much better players than UConn.

At end of day it is a wide talent differential that causes these ridiculous performances.
Mr Silver you make to much sense!

Reaction Score
Oh and Wyoming has boat loads of talent in their area of the country. North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, etc. Hell, how many "talented players" has Coach Prime gotten from Colorado. UConn will always depend on out of state talent.
UConn will never be a destination for elite or even 3 or 4 star players. If you want a program that loses 50 players a year in the portal and tries to pay 50 each year to try out here…that’s what we’ll have. We have the second easiest schedule in the country! People are actually looking forward to the Merrimack game. Merrimack! Are you serious! That’s not D1 football!

Reaction Score
I’m watching Merrimack play Air Force and they’re give them a good game. We will struggle to beat them. I hope I’m wrong.
Yikes. If there is a repeat of 2021 when UConn lost their home opener to Holy Cross.... nevermind.

Reaction Score
We keep saying a million but I'm wonder how much other programs are actually paying. I bet we aren't as significant spending wise as we think. Maybe I'm wrong but when I hear numbers like 20 mil for OSU (yes i get its OSU) but if causes pause on what we are doing. Maybe 1 mil is enough of a gap for some programs, this program needs about 30 mil NIL at this point.
I alluded to this in my other posts, but the bigger question(s) and comments is not UConn's NIL in comparison to the Ohio State's and Michgan's and Alabama's of the world. I think it's in comparison to the Sun Belt conference teams' NIL and the mid to lower level team NIL. Why are those mid to lower level teams in D-1A consistently better than UConn in football? I would think their NIL payments are comparable to UConn's. It can't be just the fact those teams are in a conference and UConn isn't-UConn has more resources that should offset the conference issue.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
And for this we are going to F up bball? New England colleges are never going to rise to a level were you see 100K fans turn out for one of our games. Look at Rutgers, BC Syracuse, Pitt and even Maryland. They are middle of the road teams at best.

Reaction Score
He only played one quarter... he was suspended for the first half for a targeting foul last season, and then was ejected for targeting at the start of the 4th quarter although Faumuina-Brown could've also been called.
I know, I was being a richard. He has gotten into the habit of hitting the ball carrier high with his shoulder. Did it today while he was in and not stopping the play.

Reaction Score
And for this we are going to F up bball? New England colleges are never going to rise to a level were you see 100K fans turn out for one of our games. Look at Rutgers, BC Syracuse, Pitt and even Maryland. They are middle of the road teams at best.
True, New England won't get 100K turnout like a Penn St does, but UConn looks 100 levels worse than those middle of the road teams you mentioned. Right now, I think UConn fans would love to have a football team and program at the mediocre level of a BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Maryland. That mediocre level would be more than enough to get an invite to the Big 12 as that mediocre level would be enough to get fans into the Rent for a loud environment in the Rent.

Reaction Score
I should have taken the advise of a prophetic BY poster early today:

“You can’t drink all day, unless you start in the morning.”

Missed the morning, but since 4:00 been on board.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The only bright spot I saw were the helmet & uniforms. That is the best helmet (although I could do without the white stripe). And the white jersey/blue pants are great on the road. At home, it should be blue jersey/white pants. The all-blue uniforms look high schoolish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom