Maryland post game thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is laughable. UConn would take an ACC invite in a heartbeat. The reality is the ACC will not likely take UConn. Football is not improving at all and actually seems to be getting worse, if that is possible. Our former AAC brethren like Tulane, Memphis, and USF are much more likely to get a call. I am sure the Big 12 President's saw Houston get pasted last night and will be wondering If adding UConn will just add more of that.
You completely missed my point Bubby. Of course UConn would take an invite from the ACC, all I’m saying is the Big 12 is the better option for many reasons, travel costs be damned, if an invite comes. That being said, if you don’t see how the ACC could implode and get divided up when FSU, Miami and Clemson leave, then I guess you think if UConn becomes Gonzaga East that won’t hurt the school and ALL it’s athletic programs. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
She doesn’t make $10,000,000 per.
But she makes $600,000+ and certainly half of that could go to NIL. I’m being facetious but my point is that money can be spent when it wants to be.

Reaction Score
The sad part is that we could easily fix the problem if we could spend an extra $4-5M on staff. Maybe we don't even need that much. Go poach the best G5 staff and double their salaries. Their entire team will probably follow them, especially since the reports are that our NIL situation is amongst the best in non-P4 schools. If the deficit is going to hover around $45M/year, what's an extra $4-5M?

Reaction Score
Saban and Belicheck could take the keys to the program and as long as the other variables reamin the program will struggle against any decent team. I don't think CT has scheduled any top 25 teams this year and has scheduled a. Ery favorably weak schedule this year and it will be hard to get to a bowl game.

Reaction Score
The sad part is that we could easily fix the problem if we could spend an extra $4-5M on staff. Maybe we don't even need that much. Go poach the best G5 staff and double their salaries. Their entire team will probably follow them, especially since the reports are that our NIL situation is amongst the best in non-P4 schools. If the deficit is going to hover around $45M/year, what's an extra $4-5M?
Write a check, get it done.

Reaction Score
I wouldn‘t call Joey a ”bright spot” but he showed some promise. That INT was unacceptable.
that interception was debated his fault. the interception at end of forst half thrown by our starter far worse.

Reaction Score
it can be both, and who recruited this team?

Edit: I am not sure we could beat either Dakota State team. How can they do it? I would happily sign up for a 5 point loss to Colorado or 24 point loss to Oklahoma State.
The Dakotas have rich football history and are located in great recruiting grounds. We have neither

The New England schools are at a natural disadvantage in Football compared to any other part of the country but the outsiders don't see that

Reaction Score
Saban and Belicheck could take the keys to the program and as long as the other variables reamin the program will struggle against any decent team. I don't think CT has scheduled any top 25 teams this year and has scheduled a. Ery favorably weak schedule this year and it will be hard to get to a bowl game.
No offense to the teams we are playing but I have no interest in watching Florida Atlantic, Buffalo and Georgia State.

What if mens and women's BB played similar schedules?

Reaction Score
Why aren't we considered a top candidate for the ACC? That makes the most sense for both football and basketball, as well as geography. Am I missing something?.
We’re blackballed from the ACC.

Reaction Score
The Dakotas have rich football history and are located in great recruiting grounds. We have neither

The New England schools are at a natural disadvantage in Football compared to any other part of the country but the outsiders don't see that
Why? I don't buy that. What I do buy is the traditional mindset that you win by running the ball. And that you win with defense even if your offense can't score. In college football, you win by out scoring your opponent. Touchdowns matter.

Reaction Score

Dakotas are a great recruiting area? Almost 150,000 sq miles with basically 4 schools, and a total population of less than 50% of Connecticut <5,000 sq miles) alone?

Not sure where they get them, but I like to watch them. They do have a good culture there.

Reaction Score
Why aren't we considered a top candidate for the ACC? That makes the most sense for both football and basketball, as well as geography. Am I missing something?.
How do we know we aren't once the ACC falls apart? I read a tweet a few months ago that schools like UConn, USF, Tulane, etc had been vetted as part of a contingency plan

Reaction Score
It's one thing to lose and get out played. What dissapointed me the most is that I saw a team with no guts or toughness. The tackling or lack there of was atrocious did we not even bother to have our guys make contact in practices?

The play calling was gutless punting on 4th and 2 at midfield with the game in the balance still, then you punt on 4th and 5 with the game over. What that tells me is you're afraid to win and afraid to compete against the likes of a Maryland. You have false bravado when the game is over.

I'm very disappointed in Mora his teams have continually been unprepared and undisciplined. You wanna look good at practices and virtue signal but when it comes to game day I don't see any passion from this team at all. This is Moras 3rd season, I don't care that much about the score against Maryland but that performance and the body I saw from the team and on the sideline is unacceptable. There needs to be a he'll practice that is uptempo all week and take that into the Merrimack game.
I actually thought the effort was ok. We were aggressive to the ball we just did a poor job once we got there.

Reaction Score
Dakotas are a great recruiting area? Almost 150,000 sq miles with basically 4 schools, and a total population of less than 50% of Connecticut <5,000 sq miles) alone?

Not sure where they get them, but I like to watch them. They do have a good culture there.
There's still probably more kids playing Football in the Dakotas than CT lol, and the Midwest has a large Football culture

They don't play Football up here, and NE is almost always last in recruiting talent

Reaction Score
I didn't expect yesterday to be a win, but I also didn't expect to have almost no positives to speak about.

Conclusion up front:

Next Saturday might as well be the Super Bowl. Merrimack will be a tricky game, they traveled all the way to Air Force and only lost 21-6 albeit scoring on the last play of the game. If UConn lays an egg at home this Saturday then it's over. Just start the head coaching search Saturday night and make Brock the interim.

Mora needs to be throwing chairs at this point. Some people spent a ton of money on some players that are clearly not worth a bag of chips. If he throws a few bad apples off the team it wouldn't break my heart. As Hurley says: "Culture is caring". If that's the case we didn't see culture yesterday. This UConn, we aren't good at football, but we shouldn't accept performances like this from any team.

Head Coach:

I think the team looked more ready against NC State and Utah State than they did against Maryland. The difference is two new coordinators, a new defensive system (The offense looks the same but with even less effective play calling), almost 50 new guys on the roster and a coach in his third season.

This being his third season is what is most damning. Mora should be breaking people at this point. They were not ready and showed little to no energy.

Offense: I expected so much better from Sammis. And yet the bar was pretty low. He seems like an intelligent person and highly regarded. There were at least 3 instances of 3rd and 2 where we should have just run the ball and gotten a new set of downs. The line and the Running backs are the strength and experience of the offense. Instead in the first instance we went for a field goal which we had less a chance of making than a first down on 4th and 2.

You've got a rookie QB who has the weight of UConn nation on his shoulders (does he even care?) against a B1G opponent. Why increase the difficulty and put 1st downs on him? Line up under center and power the way to that 1st down. On the field goal we were easily in 4 down territory.

The knock on effect would have been a new set of downs, and if we don't score then at least the defense comes on a little fresher and we have theoretically gained some field position, maybe then the final score is a little closer.

But the biggest disappointment is the strange abandonment of the run. Where was the gashing run offense that we saw in 2022? That was supposedly Sammis. Maybe Zion Turner just was better at executing the RPO and reads than Fagnano and Evers, Who knows.

Either way, we handicapped ourselves yesterday by getting away from what should be our core competency.

Where did Cam Edwards go? Does anyone know?

Defense:

The Maryland first possession was a resounding success, for Maryland. Granted we created a fumble and I am glad we are going for that but they looked like a unit that had been practicing for two weeks maybe. Lost.

The front four was missing some Yates but looked the best of the unit but still didn't generate much of any pressure on Maryland's QBs.

The defensive backs were horrendous. This Jordan Wright character is already the most hated villain on the team in the circle of people speak with the most about. On my high school team we would have called him toast. The late hit and targeting was just poor judgement.
Before that he celebrated in the end zone for a coverage where the ball was thrown out of bounds. Are we paying this guy? I hope not.

The whole unit showed no discipline. But they looked better than the offense without looking good in any aspect.

Special Teams:

Ruelas looked great for JMU. Why did we let him go. We should have kidnapped him.

Generating some touch backs was nice. Punting was awful. Attempting to return punts is a nice idea. The new Gardner Webb kid has some wheels. Sheffield, what the hell man?

I'll be here all fall. That's all I got.

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. If you don't think coaching matters I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score

This is more nonsense. The Dakotas are not at all fertile recruiting grounds and the state of Connecticut has produced much more NFL players than the Dakotas combined.

Reaction Score
The team made their stance on FB clear when they went to independent status. They are not investing at this point. It appears they are willing to play home games in front of 9 to 23 K fans and take their lumps/ With good coaching they could have lost 39 to 13.
This isn't true.

"The Huskies raised and spent about $100,000 last season through NIL efforts. This season, the number is up ten-fold, to somewhere between $1-1.25 million. That is something Benedict was willing to discuss.

“We’re going to double it next year, at least,” he said. “We’re going to pour gas on it. We’re going to win in football. I’m tired of being disrespected as a brand, nationally, because of football. And I get it. But the difference as we sit here today is we have NIL and revenue sharing now. And before, when we were a BCS affiliate with the old Big East, we could recruit differently. When that went away, it really impacted this university in a way that is probably unique because of the location. There are very, very good recruits here. But there are a limited number. And they all go, if you look at the top 10 every year, there’s one thing in common — all of them are going to power [conferences]. Whether NIL and revenue sharing will help us keep some of those kids will be determined, but we can recruit in a totally different way. We have an unbelievable university. We have great facilities. We have great coaches. And we’re going to start providing people with great opportunities in other ways.”

As Big 12 expansion rumors boil, UConn pours NIL money into football: ‘Tired of being disrespected’

Reaction Score
that interception was debated his fault. the interception at end of forst half thrown by our starter far worse.
Yes, but hitting a receiver in the shoulder pads on a short roll out - it something you don’t normally see.

Now maybe the receiver should have his body turned more but it was extremely disappointing either way.

I would prefer we start Cole next week.

But if we want to go with who is best prepared to start with least risk, Fagnano most certainly has my vote.

He looked cool out there, like he had been there before.

One thing I haven’t heard others say but I will but kudos to our O Line. Our QBs saw pressure - certainly but they weren’t being pushed all over by Maryland - in fact very few sacks yesterday.

The run blocking was P@ poor but QB protection a B-.

We had poor play by the receivers and subpar play by the QBs.

I was especially not happy with Evers - he needs much more time before he starts the next game.

Reaction Score
We did hire a good coach. He came into a situation where everybody is self-hating. The poison was already in the system. We talk down everything so badly then we wonder why things don't go upwards.

They hire better coaches. Serial winners. I like Mora but he is not what you call a serial winner.

His pattern is that his best season is early on and degrades from there.

I want a serial winner, I want a zealot and a fanatic.

Reaction Score
We’re blackballed from the ACC.
Joining the ACC now would be like boarding a ship before it hits an iceberg.

What used to be what many thought of as a “dream destination” is no longer.

They are classic definition of “washed up“ IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom