Maryland post game thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Reaction Score
One thing that's been mentioned sparsely in the past, but we just don't look as physically imposing as we did during RE 1.0 or even early PP years. I remember being up close next to those guys and going holy crap, theyre huge. They looked like NFL guys. You could even see it on the TV screen.

We haven't looked like that in a while.

I also feel like we haven't recruited to an identity since then, either. Those teams were built with an identity in mind. Now it seems like we just take scraps.
Gerry Martin, may he RIP
Meant more to Edsalls success than anyone knew. Knew him well. He was ahead of the curve when it came to S&C

Reaction Score
He was hurt during camp but I also don't think Mora likes him. Which is wild because he's clearly one of our most explosive players. He shows it on the field
He was hurt during the spring not during camp.
Saw video of him working out for Dabo.
He also worked out in front of I think Dan Mullen down at UF. I remember seeing a twitter video of it.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
If it was year four or five, maybe even six of crappy fb, this game carries no extra meaning. Ten years (not counting two years ago and 2015) of inept unbearable football make it impossible to think this team can rebound off this game. The Mora trust clock is ticking quickly. In his defense though, I’m not quite sure there is a coach out there rn who could pull this program from the hell depth of non conference status. That team looked dead in the water after the first Maryland TD and carried the stank that there was no way they were going to overcome even a fourteen point deficit.
This

I have been all in (season ticket holder and donor) on UConn football since they played Georgia Tech on campus the first year of big time football. My son is a student now. It pains me to write this, but I may be at the point where I can find better ways to spend my time and money. There has been NO progress since the Fiesta Bowl. None. I am not football-smart enough to identify the cause, but I wish someone would.

Reaction Score
This

I have been all in (season ticket holder and donor) on UConn football since they played Georgia Tech on campus the first year of big time football. My son is a student now. It pains me to write this, but I may be at the point where I can find better ways to spend my time and money. There has been NO progress since the Fiesta Bowl. None. I am not football-smart enough to identify the cause, but I wish someone would.
Same- been a season ticket holder since I was a freshman in 2003. Donate to both NILs in hopes of a better team. I believed in Edsall 2.0, Diaco, and Mora. But after 2011, I just can’t do it anymore; it’s like there’s something systemically wrong

Reaction Score
BlueandOG/Sprauge03: Guys, just wait until this season is finished. There may be some light at the end of the tunnel. We are all frustated.

Reaction Score
The schedule is an absolute joke. Posters are actually thinking that a winning record will be an accomplishment! Please!
If your goal is that we should go from how bad we were last year to being 9-3 against even this schedule, please go away.

Not getting better would be awful. Not getting better on an unreasonable timetable is just life.

Reaction Score
Seems like the bar is a little higher from a UConn football fan's standpoint than the team...
Reality is we still gotta be patient. Losing Edsall the first time set us back a bit...but I'm still optimistic. We're in a better position to succeed nowadays. We gotta hold the course...take the bumps/bruises (still)... internalize it so that when we turn the corner We're not going back...
You are def an optomist. I have to ask, how are we in a better position to succeed now than back when we had Edsall, were in a conference that mattered, and had brand-new facilities?

Reaction Score
The choices, we made on offense today were baffling. I expected Evers to be stale, even confused at times. But I at least was hopeful we had a gameplan and looked like a team that knew what we wanted to accomplish. Instead it looked like a fishing expedition with guys that just got together a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely baffling playcalls on 2nd and long, third and short. That awesome trickeration play and the failure to set up a fourth down opportunity. Yes Evers wasn't sharp. Yes the WR's dropped some easy balls. But it went beyond player execution. The OL wasn't bad IMO but we kept beating ourselves when we had opportunities. The offense has talent but I believe a number of players and our OC were shellshocked from the opening kickoff. Confidence has to come from somewhere and it's usually from preparation and reps. We didn't have the reps so in that case you hammer what's working. We didn't do that and the preparation has to be suspect. Like we never settled on our starters until too late and they weren't ready. It seems we have an OC that players like and he has a good philosophy. But as far as game management goes he's still learning on the job. It's a terrible position to be in and the players aren't dumb. They know what should be happening and have to be losing confidence. Sammis needs to get it together this week.
Truth. they have better players than us, but the offensive plan — well, it would be an insult to offensive plans to believe that Sammie had one today.

Reaction Score
What does that mean?

Maryland has much better players than UConn.

At end of day it is a wide talent differential that causes these ridiculous performances.
Yeah it’s 50 to 7. It isn’t about coaching. Wide difference in talent. Period.

Reaction Score
That’s what really grinds my gears. It simply cannot be that hard to build a competent team with competent coaches, especially in the age of NIL where $$$ matters more than ever. Like, be so for real right now. If we can’t even built a program like theirs, it means that everyone in charge from top to bottom has no freaking clue.

The problem is that we don't have the money. We don't get paid enough from the Big East to cover Hurley's contract, never mind the football team. Marc D'amelio is great and a big fan but he doesn't have that Nike money to build a program like that.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. There are are the haves and the have-nots and I don't see how we get from here to there.

Reaction Score
I can only wonder, is Maryland like some dark horse CFP contender which we just happened to schedule on the wrong year, or do we suck this badly? We have a propensity for catching even mediocre teams on their best years.

No we just make mediocre teams look great

Reaction Score
That's the key. It has to be a hammering of Merrimack. It can't be a nail biting win like the one over Yale a few years ago or the one over Rhode Island where Lou Spanos was grateful to the heavens when they stopped Rhode Island on the last play of the game. UConn was in this same position in 2021 after getting embarrassed at Frenso State 45-0 when they had to play Holy Cross. That loss to Holy Cross was a killer and showed how far UConn Football sank into the sewer. Needless to say, that cannot happen against Merrimack.
Merrimack hung tough against Air Force today. They typically have a respectable team and much better than UConn in recent years.

Reaction Score
Seems like the bar is a little higher from a UConn football fan's standpoint than the team...
Reality is we still gotta be patient. Losing Edsall the first time set us back a bit...but I'm still optimistic. We're in a better position to succeed nowadays. We gotta hold the course...take the bumps/bruises (still)... internalize it so that when we turn the corner We're not going back...
I lost my patience when we trotted back Edsall the second time around. It’s crappy hire after crappy hire.

Reaction Score
The problem is that we don't have the money. We don't get paid enough from the Big East to cover Hurley's contract, never mind the football team. Marc D'amelio is great and a big fan but he doesn't have that Nike money to build a program like that.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. There are are the haves and the have-nots and I don't see how we get from here to there.
But surely we can outspend FCS schools? If we can’t then let’s just end the program now because it’s a lost cause.

Maybe the President of the school could take a big pay cut to help fund NIL. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Why aren't we considered a top candidate for the ACC? That makes the most sense for both football and basketball, as well as geography. Am I missing something?.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom