Maryland post game thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Reaction Score
I was there and would disagree on the drops….know it was a scrimmage but that was one thing they didn’t do was drop many balls. Was impressed with the receivers hands in that scrimmage. And Welliver is our QB of the future. Big, strong arm, accurate. Know we still have to give Evers a chance to redeem himself but will be interesting to see when they go to Welliver as I think he is our guy for the next 4 years.
They be lucky to get a season out of him. Why would he stay?

Reaction Score
Maryland has stuff together... coaching staff on down to the players. You can tell even before this game. Optimal coaching experience across the board... their entire system is like clockwork. You could tell that expectations during practices was a little higher than ours. We're still in 'getting to know you' mode. We definitely have a decent amount of talent now. We need to put that along coaching together. Discipline ain't there. We definitely have football guys.... we just need live reps... more of them. Merrimack should help that... we need a confidence booster too. Next week has to be what the doctor ordered
I wonder how good Maryland is? They are Big 10 but I really couldn’t tell today. Hopefully best team UConn plays this year.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
What would the Vegas spread be for UConn/SDS at the rent? On the road?
Ran a sim on the 23-24 teams. Last year, SDSU won the FCS title and finished 21st in a combined FBS/FCS power ranking (right behind Texas A&M) that had us ranked 161st (which would be 27th in the FCS). Maybe we're a little better this year, maybe they're a little worse.

Over 22 simulations, the average score on a neutral site was South Dakota Sate 36, UConn 10.

Reaction Score
I wonder how good Maryland is? They are Big 10 but I really couldn’t tell today. Hopefully best team UConn plays this year.
Defensively they are suppose to be very good this season. Offensively, it is not clear how good they are expected to be. I guess we will see as the season progresses how good they really are. I hope they are better than Duke will be when we play them.

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:
Maryland has stuff together... coaching staff on down to the players. You can tell even before this game. Optimal coaching experience across the board... their entire system is like clockwork. You could tell that expectations during practices was a little higher than ours. We're still in 'getting to know you' mode. We definitely have a decent amount of talent now. We need to put that along coaching together. Discipline ain't there. We definitely have football guys.... we just need live reps... more of them. Merrimack should help that... we need a confidence booster too. Next week has to be what the doctor ordered

100% this. Before the game even started we all got a peak into their program with those series videos on the game thread.. The series was very well done vs. our very abbreviated mic'd up series. But watching those videos, it's clear that the system is run like a well-oiled machine, and the players are completely bought in with some serious leadership. The expectations are obviously higher. The vibe is just different, very professional and a lot of pride in the program.

Reaction Score
Me neither... but they're well established. Will they win a lot in arguably the toughest P5 conference in College football? Who knows.

We got an up close look at how a college program that is serious about it performs (like we did against Tennessee last season)

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:

100% this. Before the game even started we all got a peak into their program with those series videos on the game thread.. The series was very well done vs. our very abbreviated mic'd up series. But watching those videos, it's clear that the system is run like a well-oiled machine, and the players are completely bought in with some serious leadership. The expectations are obviously higher. The vibe is just different, very professional and a lot of pride in the program.
Seems like the bar is a little higher from a UConn football fan's standpoint than the team...
Reality is we still gotta be patient. Losing Edsall the first time set us back a bit...but I'm still optimistic. We're in a better position to succeed nowadays. We gotta hold the course...take the bumps/bruises (still)... internalize it so that when we turn the corner We're not going back...

Reaction Score
I was in the stands. Cam got off a nice run in their first drive, then didn’t see the ball again. Maybe it looked like a lot of running - designed QB runs and rollouts that turned into scrambles. But, it felt like run, pass, pass, punt every time they touched the ball. Our defense was absolutely gassed - constantly on the field. Superior opponent, sure - but terrible game management on our part.
The choices, we made on offense today were baffling. I expected Evers to be stale, even confused at times. But I at least was hopeful we had a gameplan and looked like a team that knew what we wanted to accomplish. Instead it looked like a fishing expedition with guys that just got together a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely baffling playcalls on 2nd and long, third and short. That awesome trickeration play and the failure to set up a fourth down opportunity. Yes Evers wasn't sharp. Yes the WR's dropped some easy balls. But it went beyond player execution. The OL wasn't bad IMO but we kept beating ourselves when we had opportunities. The offense has talent but I believe a number of players and our OC were shellshocked from the opening kickoff. Confidence has to come from somewhere and it's usually from preparation and reps. We didn't have the reps so in that case you hammer what's working. We didn't do that and the preparation has to be suspect. Like we never settled on our starters until too late and they weren't ready. It seems we have an OC that players like and he has a good philosophy. But as far as game management goes he's still learning on the job. It's a terrible position to be in and the players aren't dumb. They know what should be happening and have to be losing confidence. Sammis needs to get it together this week.

Reaction Score
How is the football doing harm to basketball?
Well we can't get into one of the current power 4 conferences because our football is so horrendous. If they were just merely bad to medicore we would be in. Because we can't get in we waste a tremendous amount of money on football than could be going towards basketball. We're the only Big East team funding an FBS football program and all it's doing for the University is embarrassing it. We also have to fund 100 women's scholarships.

Reaction Score
The choices, we made on offense today were baffling. I expected Evers to be stale, even confused at times. But I at least was hopeful we had a gameplan and looked like a team that knew what we wanted to accomplish. Instead it looked like a fishing expedition with guys that just got together a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely baffling playcalls on 2nd and long, third and short. That awesome trickeration play and the failure to set up a fourth down opportunity. Yes Evers wasn't sharp. Yes the WR's dropped some easy balls. But it went beyond player execution. The OL wasn't bad IMO but we kept beating ourselves when we had opportunities. The offense has talent but I believe a number of players and our OC were shellshocked from the opening kickoff. Confidence has to come from somewhere and it's usually from preparation and reps. We didn't have the reps so in that case you hammer what's working. We didn't do that and the preparation has to be suspect. Like we never settled on our starters until too late and they weren't ready. It seems we have an OC that players like and he has a good philosophy. But as far as game management goes he's still learning on the job. It's a terrible position to be in and the players aren't dumb. They know what should be happening and have to be losing confidence. Sammis needs to get it together this week.
it’s starts in the locker room. The players know.. can see through the BS.. Need to fix that 1st before anything else. We got the players.. just play the best players..let the REAL players make plays.. the pieces of the puzzle are there..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom