Maryland post game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Reaction Score
I can't get over the fact that South Dakota State can have a competent football team while we can't. Years ago I advocated to hire the entire South Dakota State coaching staff but it never happened. Here we are again with the same old same old.

Reaction Score
We were in the AAC and were just as booty as we are now
It’s coaching, Hurley proved it. We need an up and coming coach who can get it done. Can’t hire another Bob D. We are 0 for 3 on older retreads and missed on a young coach who frankly was a nut job (how did we miss that?). If we are serious about football we need a change. Sorry, but I’m big time disappointed. I thought Mora was the guy.

Reaction Score
I can't get over the fact that South Dakota State can have a competent football team while we can't. Years ago I advocated to hire the entire South Dakota State coaching staff but it never happened. Here we are again with the same old same old.
That’s what really grinds my gears. It simply cannot be that hard to build a competent team with competent coaches, especially in the age of NIL where $$$ matters more than ever. Like, be so for real right now. If we can’t even built a program like theirs, it means that everyone in charge from top to bottom has no freaking clue.

Reaction Score
A hell of a lot easier to build a competent program at the FCS level than it is at the FBS level.

Reaction Score
This is a concern of mine too. Mora isn't running the defense anymore. I hope he has a pulse on the locker room and can pivot if it's the right thing to do. But I'm not there so idk squat about it.
The writings in the wall..it’s like in the palm of there hand.. literally standing there.. they need a leader.. someone that they believe in and get behind.
Who is that player now?

Reaction Score
That’s what really grinds my gears. It simply cannot be that hard to build a competent team with competent coaches, especially in the age of NIL where $$$ matters more than ever. Like, be so for real right now. If we can’t even built a program like theirs, it means that everyone in charge from top to bottom has no freaking clue.

We are not asking for the CFP, we are asking for competent. How can we miss so badly on being respectable?

Reaction Score
The underutilization of Cam and Victor while there was rollout after rollout was frustrating. We needed to grind more, use the clock and get first downs.
I'm going to give the staff some slack on Rosa since it's been reported that he's been hurt. But between him and Edwards there should be 30 touches per game.

They had 11. Combined. What are we doing?

Reaction Score
The DBs were giving so much space, anyone could have made catches. We’ve seen this movie before and if this is the future we are screwed. Everyone gets fired in 3.5 months Without an abrupt change.
I think we were missing 3 of the top DBs today: Jones (for 1st half), Dixon-Williams, and Akles. And, lost Wright during the game. Plus, didn't have the best pass rusher, Yates. Add in a new defense and DC and the defense did not do well.

On offense, Evers didn't participate in Spring football as he wasn't at UConn and he didn't seem to have good chemistry with the receivers. Fagnano looked better hitting receivers as he has been here for 2 years and played in the offense this past spring with many of the receivers. Plus, this was Evers first real game in 3 years. And, it seemed to take too long to determine an OL especially the first team center as the OL has to work as a team.

Reaction Score
I think we were missing 3 of the top DBs today: Jones (for 1st half), Dixon-Williams, and Akles. And, lost Wright during the game. Plus, didn't have the best pass rusher, Yates. Add in a new defense and DC and the defense did not do well.

On offense, Evers didn't participate in Spring football as he wasn't at UConn and he didn't seem to have good chemistry with the receivers. Fagnano looked better hitting receivers as he has been here for 2 years and played in the offense this past spring with many of the receivers. Plus, this was Evers first real game in 3 years. And, it seemed to take too long to determine an OL especially the first team center as the OL has to work as a team.
In other words, we look directionless.

Reaction Score
A hell of a lot easier to build a competent program at the FCS level than it is at the FBS level.
We were budget constrained. We should have hired the entire coaching staff of a top FCS program. We could afford that.

Last I checked South Dakota State football team even at FCS played just fine against Colorado at Colorado. If we can play like them today, we be competitive this game.

Reaction Score
We were budget constrained. We should have hired the entire coaching staff of a top FCS program. We could afford that.

Last I checked South Dakota State football team even at FCS played just fine against Colorado at Colorado. If we can play like them today, we be competitive this game.

What would the Vegas spread be for UConn/SDS at the rent? On the road?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

This is the measured perspective, and probably the lens with which to view today's performance. Especially against a good team on the road.

If we perform well against Merrimack and things come together, I'll feel a hell of a lot better going into the Duke game. It's hard to believe that I think a game against Merrimack is this important, but it is...

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
The underutilization of Cam and Victor while there was rollout after rollout was frustrating. We needed to grind more, use the clock and get first downs.
I didn't get to see the game but I read a comment in Maryland's forum where someone said UConn had the ball on MD's 30 1st and 10 and ran the ball 3 straight times and came up with nothing. The person's comment to UConn was "at least try!" So, I don't t know who was getting the ball but it looks like, at least in that case, we need to pass more.

Reaction Score
Did you see the total yardage on the ground? That says the OL is not doing its job. Tough to grind when you don't have an OL that can grind.

Reaction Score

I'm tired of hearing this whole south Dakota state line. They have all the boats rowing. That's worth more than money. Right now the attitude around the program is toxic and that isn't an issue coming from mora. I get echoes of the expos fire sale at times. South Dakota State doesn't have a 12 year existential crisis

Reaction Score
Same garbage. Different year.

Bad tackling
Back to a failed D scheme
Dropped balls
Lateral play calling

Slight bright spot - Joey F
Replace Joey F with Skyler Bell and I agree.

Reaction Score
In other words, we look directionless.
On defense, I'll say the injuries hurt today. As for the offense, I thought Fagnano was the best option at QB today as he has game experience as well as more experience in the offense. Did people really expect Evers to look good in his first game in 3 years against probably UConn's toughest opponent?

Reaction Score
Did you see the total yardage on the ground? That says the OL is not doing its job. Tough to grind when you don't have an OL that can grind.
Robinson averaged 4.9 yards per carry. Edwards averaged 6.4 yards per carry. Rosa averaged 4.3 yards per carry. In total, they had 16 carries between them. Jayden Brown had more rushes than Edwards and Rosa. I think we could have run the ball more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom