Maryland post game thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is what I want to hear about. Couldn’t see game. I was horrified hearing we were going back to 3-3-5. How did it look? Any potential? Any fingerprints from the new DC showing he is going to put some psychos out there? Were we confused in our roles on D, but once we get the hang of it, maybe it works. Would like some analysis, other than how crappy we feel.

A lot of good fb minds here.
We didn't generate a big pass rush and got picked apart in the zone because of it. It looked like we had multiple guys covering one guy in a specific zone and it left people open. I just don't think the spacing was very good and guys were probably a bit unclear of where exactly they needed to be. It's game 1 year 1 stuff with a new scheme.

Reaction Score
The system wasn't the problem. Seemed like lots of 4-2-5. We were rushing 4 generally.
We were getting gashed on the run. On the pass, we lost outside contain and had no rush, and our multitude of DBs were cushion crazy. 3-3 is a hollowed-out speed defense that doesn’t work unless you have super athletes.

Reaction Score
The Dakotas are surrounded by Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana. Connecticut has more HS football talent than any of those states.
Are you sure about that? Minnesota’s population is almost twice that of Connecticut’s.

Reaction Score
If you want to base your opinion on one away game against a very good Maryland team then I have to say you sound more like a trouble maker than a true UConn football fan.
But it was not one game. It goes back to last year at a minimum in the Mora era. If you think yesterday's game was an indication of how this team will be this year, it will be a big disappointment. Both offense and defense were dismal. Maryland may be good, but it should never have gotten away like it did. I did not expect a win, but a respectable showing. It was not. This program should be in the upper eschelons of the G5 by now, and they are nowhere near it.

Reaction Score
Pennsylvania St is not in New England and is more Ohio than Pennsylvania
I was just going off of your list that included Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Maryland. All of which are also not in New England, but Penn State falls approximately in the middle of all of them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of the 3-3-5 (going back long before we attempted it with Crocker seven yers ago) but to some extent I understand why, with the direction this sport is taking having some variant of that defense is necessary.

The biggest problem with the 3-3 front is that if the opponent can sucessfully block each of the three defensive linemen one on one, you're cooked. That's what happened for the most part yesterday, hopefully we won't see anyone else who can do the same.

We did switch off quite a bit to 4-2 up front (which we were told would happen a lot this season0,) which makes it a bit easier for the front line to battle the offensive line, but this is at the cost of flexibility in attacking from the LB's and, if the offensive line can hanbdle the front four, you're left trying to matchup with a safety at linebacker.

I'm not ready to give up on the season nor am I ready to give up on Brock as a defensive coordinator but I was hoping that we would be a bit more cohesive at this point than we were. There was thing they showed on TV yesterday, that each of the past five recruiting classes for Maryland were all top 40, two being top twenty, so yes, there was quite a bit of talent on the other side.

Time will tell on the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
If we have so many programs why are we near the bottom in top recruits produced? What do you think our problem is?

We should naturally be higher then given the sheer population alone
In the Northeast, football recruits aren't as developed as in places like Texas and Georgia. For UConn, there are tons of football players within 300 miles of UConn. Unfortunately, UConn does not have the football tradition to get the top recruits and you can only change that by winning. Kind of like how Calhoun had to go outside of the footprint to recruit players to change the narrative about UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
But it was not one game. It goes back to last year at a minimum in the Mora era. If you think yesterday's game was an indication of how this team will be this year, it will be a big disappointment. Both offense and defense were dismal. Maryland may be good, but it should never have gotten away like it did. I did not expect a win, but a respectable showing. It was not. This program should be in the upper eschelons of the G5 by now, and they are nowhere near it.
Um….ok:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of the 3-3-5 (going back long before we attempted it with Crocker seven yers ago) but to some extent I understand why, with the direction this sport is taking having some variant of that defense is necessary.

The biggest problem with the 3-3 front is that if the opponent can sucessfully block each of the three defensive linemen one on one, you're cooked. That's what happened for the most part yesterday, hopefully we won't see anyone else who can do the same.

We did switch off quite a bit to 4-2 up front (which we were told would happen a lot this season0,) which makes it a bit easier for the front line to battle the offensive line, but this is at the cost of flexibility in attacking from the LB's and, if the offensive line can hanbdle the front four, you're left trying to matchup with a safety at linebacker.

I'm not ready to give up on the season nor am I ready to give up on Brock as a defensive coordinator but I was hoping that we would be a bit more cohesive at this point than we were. There was thing they showed on TV yesterday, that each of the past five recruiting classes for Maryland were all top 40, two being top twenty, so yes, there was quite a bit of talent on the other side.

Time will tell on the remainder of the season.
Being down 4 projected starters on D (Yates, Dixon-Williams, Engram & Akles) in addition to a dinged up LB who was a game day decision (McDonald) to start the game sure didn’t help the cause. Depth will always be an issue.

This week will hopefully provide more answers (or concerns)…

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Being down 4 projected starters on D (Yates, Dixon-Williams, Engram & Akles) in addition to a dinged up LB who was a game day decision (McDonald) to start the game sure didn’t help the cause.

This week will hopefully provide more answers (or concerns)…
... and losing 2 more due to targeting calls during the game. It really isn't mentioned enough that our D out there was short-handed...

Reaction Score
... and losing 2 more due to targeting calls during the game. It really isn't mentioned enough that our D out there was short-handed...
Thx - I actually forgot to include Durante Jones who was out to for the first half… so that made 5 MIA w/ McDonald not @ full strength.

Reaction Score
Still annoyed at performance. Maryland definition of a mid level power program. Just couldn’t compete.

win this week. Has to show some explosiveness and athleticism in this game too.

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. If you don't think coaching matters I don't know what to tell you.
Coaching matters but not enough for the UCONN program in its' present situation. They just do not have the athletes to win yet. A good conference will eventually help them. It is hard to get enough quality players on a roster for any team with no conference affiliation except Notre Dame. The smartest move would be for Connecticut and the ACC to bury whatever hatchet exists and move forward. It is stupid that UCONN and the ACC are not together. UCONN hoops has value and football would be helped by playing away games with other northeast teams. The Big 12 sounds promising but the ACC would be a much better fit. No matter what it will take a while for UCONN to build a good football team. It does take the right coaching but there are too many factors weighting against success for coaching to make UCONN a good program right now. Ask your self, you are a 4 or 5 star stud player Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan and Connecticut are offering you great NIL money and a UCONN says you can play right away. Maybe BC, Rutgers and Syracuse can make the same pitch. The other schools are telling you that you will red shirt year one may sniff the field year two and compete for a spot year three. All of UCONN's competition are in big conferences. You are not a fan of any particular program, and everybody is offering more money than your family has ever seen. If I am that player I want to see which team gets me to the NFL the fastest. Where will I learn the most and be developed properly. Does UCONN have the head and position coaches to compete with those programs, the facilities and training staff? How much more money would need to be pumped into the program to maybe recruit a top level staff and build better facilities. I think UCONN fans just need to support the team as best they can and hope for better days.

Reaction Score
But she makes $600,000+ and certainly half of that could go to NIL. I’m being facetious but my point is that money can be spent when it wants to be.
600k is not close to Big 12 money.

Reaction Score
In the Northeast, football recruits aren't as developed as in places like Texas and Georgia. For UConn, there are tons of football players within 300 miles of UConn. Unfortunately, UConn does not have the football tradition to get the top recruits and you can only change that by winning. Kind of like how Calhoun had to go outside of the footprint to recruit players to change the narrative about UConn basketball.

Smith, Burrell, Williams, Pikiell from CT. Nadav found us. Glynn from MD, Depriest from MI, Sellers from SC. Tate from NJ. I guess we need to define footprint. Getting Smith and Burrell was huge at the time.

CT produces some damn good basketball talent. We had really good players in state during the 70s and 80s. Jim got a few to stay home.

Remember the guys who committed or came back: Aleksinas, Dulin plus Mckay, Thompson, Abromatis, Kelley, and more

Ones that got away Bagley, Matthews, Gminski, Campbell, Garris, Williams, Williamson, Foster, Semo, Olynek, and many more

Reaction Score
If we have so many programs why are we near the bottom in top recruits produced? What do you think our problem is?

We should naturally be higher then given the sheer population alone
Location. Warm weather states/areas allow for year round training, the population is more interested in physical fitness in general and athletes tend to retire in these places where they not only raise their kids but coach/advise the next generation. Having said that, there is talent available everywhere if coaches are willing and able to develop it.

Reaction Score
This isn't true.

"The Huskies raised and spent about $100,000 last season through NIL efforts. This season, the number is up ten-fold, to somewhere between $1-1.25 million. That is something Benedict was willing to discuss.

“We’re going to double it next year, at least,” he said. “We’re going to pour gas on it. We’re going to win in football. I’m tired of being disrespected as a brand, nationally, because of football. And I get it. But the difference as we sit here today is we have NIL and revenue sharing now. And before, when we were a BCS affiliate with the old Big East, we could recruit differently. When that went away, it really impacted this university in a way that is probably unique because of the location. There are very, very good recruits here. But there are a limited number. And they all go, if you look at the top 10 every year, there’s one thing in common — all of them are going to power [conferences]. Whether NIL and revenue sharing will help us keep some of those kids will be determined, but we can recruit in a totally different way. We have an unbelievable university. We have great facilities. We have great coaches. And we’re going to start providing people with great opportunities in other ways.”

As Big 12 expansion rumors boil, UConn pours NIL money into football: ‘Tired of being disrespected’
So this thread is about bashing the coaches. He says we have great coaches. At this point they are much closer to the worst team in the NCAA than the best. Maryland is not a very god team and blasted them off the field. The solution to me is simple. The team needs a conference. If they had 50 million in NIL they might be a respectable team, but likely not. In my life, the number of Independents going way back to the 60's who have had national success?...Fighting Irish, BYU, Penn State before they joined a conference, Syracuse before they joined a conference....a few others who did well....Pitt comes to mind. Football drives the bus and requires a conference. Otherwise they remain outside looking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom