Maryland is subpoenaing the world | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Maryland is subpoenaing the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good Luck in the Big Ten. Be thankful you're there. It is up to Rutgers to now get the 9 million New Jersey residents to start to pay attention.
They do....thats why there in!! On the other hand UVa was grandfathered in the ACC and VT is bigger in the ACC in VA now though their new relatively speaking you arrogant blowhard.Who the hell cares about UVa? Fill you're own stadium before you rattle on about a conference that w/o old BE and FSU would've collapsed. Uva/WF/Dook/NC St really? Find a life outside the message boards you're redundancy is getting tired here and A-kissing too!! Who you BSing hick? You like UConn?...... sure you do right...damage control man!!! You know the blackeye the ACC earned here in the NE with their stupity and ridiculous add's....So now you're a L'ville fan Cuse,UVa,UConn and who else?? Give us a break....btw I also CRINGE at seeing you're Cavalier avatar...it backfired StimpyCuse from everyone's board!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you seriously trying to promote Rutgers as a Lacrosse power? Seriously? Don't you mean Princeton? I'm confused.
We're talking about college athletics here. And some keep wanting to talk about academics. That's a side conversation. Rutgers has not been relevant in college athletics of any kind in over half a century. I'm not worried about Rutgers Lacrosse cracking the seal. Billybud is correct. The UConn fans have a much bigger gripe with the Big Ten for taking Rutgers than the ACC taking Louisville. Again, did you watch the Louisville Rutgers men's basketball game? It is the epitome of Rutgers athletics in the Big Ten. Fun fun!
Are you seeing a trend here? Insight into how we think and feel here in the NE from actual NEasterner's!! You're presense reinforces the negative vibes about the ACC felt here recently with you're arrogance and snobbish post's!! I like a few others here cringe now seeing the mighty Cavalier avatar!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That 3 million doesn't watch Rutgers and won't be watching Rutgers. But if the Big Ten can fleece them via Comcast somehow, it might pay off. Might.
Exactly, they don't and it didn't matter one bit. The higher carriage fees from Comcast, and more importantly Verizon certainly did. Keep in mind that that 3 mil was in the NYC DMA a tiny part of the state, which may not even be the most densely populated.

CL82

Reaction Score
You rip on Rutgers and their attendance, yet you completely ignore the football aspect of the issue. That's my problem. They have had anywhere between 46,000 and 49,000 since 2009 (had 42,000 in 2008). You can't have it both ways. Yes, they should be hung out to dry as far as basketball goes. Give credit where credit is due in the football realm, though.

As far as The ACC goes, we will never see eye to eye and I will leave it at that.
RU heavily discounts and gives away freebies to maintain their attendance figures. I'm not critical of that as I believe that is exactly what a program should do rather than have empty seats televised, but it's not like RU football is all that a difficult a ticket to come up with.

CL82

Reaction Score
Moving on past that: is the argument, then, that not enough New Jerseyans pay attention to Rutgers? That may be true--certainly I see a lot of block Rs on the backs of cars down here in South Jersey, but they're not on, like, every car, or even a majority of them, so we have some room to grow.

I see very, very few in North Jersey, for what it is worth, though I have friends who are die hard fans.

Reaction Score
Are you seeing a trend here? Insight into how we think and feel here in the NE from actual NEasterner's!! You're presense reinforces the negative vibes about the ACC felt here recently with you're arrogance and snobbish post's!! I like a few others here cringe now seeing the mighty Cavalier avatar!!

Nicky...you present yourself as a representative of northeastern thinking while calling another poster's posts arrogant and snobbish.

Stimpy is fairly erudite, if that is snobbish, and does not communicate in taxi driver idiom (that is probably arrogant). Would he be more likable to you if he thought that Rutgers was a sports power and if he constantly mangled his English usage?

His viewpoint is subject to his vantage point as all of ours are.

I, too, don't think of Rutgers when I think of sports. To be fair, I also don't think of Tulane.

Am I arrogant and snobbish? Arrogant surely. Snobbish? Hardly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The ACC's underhandedness blew back in their face and almost destroyed their conference.

Whether their refusal to work an agreement with Maryland is hypocrisy, arrogance, spite, or fear of following the Big East down the appeasement rabbit hole to its demise, only Swofford and his advisors can say.

What is true is that MD will leave behind $0-52M and that RU will remain an athletic backwater. They'll just have nicer stuff.

Reaction Score
Maryland has been a dumpster fire...mismanaged athletic programs bleeding red ink, poor coaching, bad teams...

They needed a change. Between the ACC and Maryland, one of us needed some relief.

And all of us southerners of an age know the story..Jerry Clowers always told it well.

That great hunter, John Eubanks, climbed the tree to get whatever was in the tree out that had been run up there by the hounds. Those on the ground hollered, “Knock’em out, John,” up to John as he took a sharp stick to poke what he thought was a raccoon.

However, to John’s surprise, the raccoon turned out to be a lynx, better known as a souped up bobcat in Mississippi, which immediately took on John in somewhat of a man versus beast fight.

To those standing on the ground they couldn’t figure out what was going on up in the tree and just kept calling up for John to “knock’em out.” Finally, John screams back for someone to shoot up in the tree amongst him and the lynx.

Of course, those on the ground didn’t want to do that for fear they would accidently hit John. But John hollers back, “Shoot up here amongst us, because one of us needs some relief!”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not that I'd ever want to interrupt a rant on a UConn board that has nothing to do with UConn, but just to show you how diametrically wrong you are on what the courts said and didn't say, I've linked the North Carolina appeals court's opinion below (and can cut-and-paste it for you if you like).

The decision by the North Carolina appeals court affirmed a North Carolina trial court's dismissal of Maryland's argument that it could not be sued in North Carolina on the grounds of sovereign immunity. Neither decision had anything to do with the ACC's by-laws. Not a thing. Instead, the appeals court decided that a state could immediately appeal a motion to dismiss on comity grounds, but also agreed with the motion to dismiss and affirmed the trial court's decision.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/In NCCO 20131119456

I will repeat: NO JUDGE HAS RULED ON OR EVEN CONSIDERED (yet) MARYLAND'S OR THE ACC'S ARGUMENTS ON THE VALIDITY OF THE NEW EXIT FEE. If they had, the ballgame would be over.

Could you please save the Internet and the national power grid from having to endure the stress of receiving and displaying your repeated arguments that have no basis in fact?

This has always been the case, and if the Maryland legal team didn't read it, the Judges have and have dismissed Maryland's argument twice. The ACC continues to collect the offset.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Maryland has been a dumpster fire...mismanaged athletic programs bleeding red ink, poor coaching, bad teams...

They needed a change. Between the ACC and Maryland, one of us needed some relief.

And all of us southerners of an age know the story..Jerry Clowers always told it well.

That great hunter, John Eubanks, climbed the tree to get whatever was in the tree out that had been run up there by the hounds. Those on the ground hollered, “Knock’em out, John,” up to John as he took a sharp stick to poke what he thought was a raccoon.

However, to John’s surprise, the raccoon turned out to be a lynx, better known as a souped up bobcat in Mississippi, which immediately took on John in somewhat of a man versus beast fight.

To those standing on the ground they couldn’t figure out what was going on up in the tree and just kept calling up for John to “knock’em out.” Finally, John screams back for someone to shoot up in the tree amongst him and the lynx.

Of course, those on the ground didn’t want to do that for fear they would accidently hit John. But John hollers back, “Shoot up here amongst us, because one of us needs some relief!”

Yes, for UMD, leaving the ACC was a good decision. They are becoming more and more like a Big10 team in size and culture and less like an ACC team.

Reaction Score
Exactly, they don't and it didn't matter one bit. The higher carriage fees from Comcast, and more importantly Verizon certainly did. Keep in mind that that 3 mil was in the NYC DMA a tiny part of the state, which may not even be the most densely populated.

Yes. this is the plan that the Big Ten has. If the cable companies play along, they will make money. If the cable companies don't, they just have games now at Rutgers. This is supposed to make Penn State more comfortable.

Reaction Score
They do....thats why there in!! On the other hand UVa was grandfathered in the ACC and VT is bigger in the ACC in VA now though their new relatively speaking you arrogant blowhard.Who the hell cares about UVa? Fill you're own stadium before you rattle on about a conference that w/o old BE and FSU would've collapsed. Uva/WF/Dook/NC St really? Find a life outside the message boards you're redundancy is getting tired here and A-kissing too!! Who you BSing hick? You like UConn?. sure you do right...damage control man!!! You know the blackeye the ACC earned here in the NE with their stupity and ridiculous add's....So now you're a L'ville fan Cuse,UVa,UConn and who else?? Give us a break....btw I also CRINGE at seeing you're Cavalier avatar...it backfired StimpyCuse from everyone's board!

Nicky don't cringe or call names. Lay out the Rutgers NCAA, Big East, and AAC Championships. That's how you best prove that Rutgers is an athletics power. I'll be happy to congratulate you on all of them.

I'll do the same to for all of the Virginia Tech NCAA Championships.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UNC hasn't commented. Coach K has publicly stated that he will not allow Duke to schedule Maryland again during the regular season. After he retires, who knows?

And of course, no one is talking about 'blackballing' Duke basketball for such comments unlike when UConn whose Hall of Fame Coach, said the same thing...

Reaction Score
And of course, no one is talking about 'blackballing' Duke basketball for such comments unlike when UConn whose Hall of Fame Coach, said the same thing...
Duke is not stuck in the AAC so he can say whatever he wants. . When Calhoun said what he said, he thought the BE was going to survive and thrive. He was also echoing a lot of fans at the time. The blackballing, if it really exists (I don't buy the BC can block Uconn by themselves argument) would be more related to the lawsuits with a certain slick haired AG from CT in front of the microphones leading the lawsuits. The ACC and Swofford were named in the suits that were settled. I'm sure that cost money on both of their parts to defend even though it never got to trial. That would have way more to do with anti-Uconn feelings in the ACC than anything Calhoun said.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
WTF is with this thread? I understand school pride and conference pride, but eyes wide open people. The ACC has been pretty slimy and so has ESPN. I have little doubt that they don't want the details coming out. These people have reputations and move about in rarified society. There is some ugliness there, and denying it is simply willful blindness.

As for the whole Louisville vs Rutgers vs Maryland thing, use your brains. The B1G wasn't looking for athletic success. It got that the last two times wth Penn State and Nebraska. This time it needed markets, since some of its markets (cough: Detroit) are becoming virtual wastelands. Thanks to a government with idiocy on steroids, DC is flush with people and money. New Jersey ties up Philly when combined with Penn State, and gets a toe in the water in NYC. Rutgers always looked like a Big Ten school, it just never played like one. Maryland is mid-pack, they are Iowa athletically, with a much better market. Both choices retained the B1Gs academic and geographic requirements. On field performance is much easier to change than location, reputation, size and academics.

Since the ACC had a differnet problem, weak recent performances on field, they wanted on field performance and brand value. To get it, they compromised their academic reputation and geographic logic, and took Louisville. Short term, it was the right move...long term, it will haunt them. With UConn they would have the same on-court basketball performance, or better, and weaker football, but they would make no geographic or academic compromises. In fact, given that they had just lost a school in the largest market in the conference, you might think they would want to capture a school in a larger market. Instead they went to nowhereville. If Louisville football declines without Strong, and Diaco brings UConn up, how does that decision look? Mind bogglingly stupid, that's how. Considering the ACC rejected WVU on academics, it looks even worse. WVU would be a much better choice than Louisville in every way. Unless you get a long-time stud, like Nebraska or Penn State (or UConn & Louisville basketball), you do not consider short term on-field success in choosing teams. It is meaningless.

My guess is that if the ACC presidents knew that FSU would win a title, that Duke would actually be good, and that UNC would show signs of becoming a player in football (scandals aside), they wouldn't take Louisville. It was a reactionary move with no long term thought involved.

Reaction Score
Rutgers brought 3 million NJ residents in the NYC DMA. That's what the B1G bought. AAU would have helped but I think those numbers were what drove this decision.

Not sure where you get the 3 million figure from, but the REAL number of residents in the 12 Northern NJ counties that make up the NYC DMA is 5,994,000

That doesn't include the population from the 8 South Jersey Counties that are part of the Philly market....thus increasing our value to the Big Ten Network in that DMA.

And you know darn well that the block R's are everywhere in North Jersey. To say otherwise is just not being honest. They are completely statewide now.

Reaction Score
Nicky...you present yourself as a representative of northeastern thinking while calling another poster's posts arrogant and snobbish.

Stimpy is fairly erudite, if that is snobbish, and does not communicate in taxi driver idiom (that is probably arrogant). Would he be more likable to you if he thought that Rutgers was a sports power and if he constantly mangled his English usage?

His viewpoint is subject to his vantage point as all of ours are.

I, too, don't think of Rutgers when I think of sports. To be fair, I also don't think of Tulane.

Am I arrogant and snobbish? Arrogant surely. Snobbish? Hardly.
Whats wrong with Taxi drivers? I've driven cab's!! If that's not snobbish what is?Also an enlisted man who was offered Aviation school and due to circumstances chose Communications(teletype operater) school in SanDiego now at 29 Palm's !! Too be a fan you expect an officer and gentleman? You may have been officer material but you certainly lack gentleman's quality's. I on the other hand suffer no such delusion's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nicky...I was a Marine o311 rifleman and then a Force Recon marine.

I was enlisted. Scuba and jump qualified, UDT trained at Coronado, jump trained at Ft. Benning by the army and small team airborne insert trained at Onslow Beach. And I ate Remington Raider office guys for breakfast.

I am no gentleman.

Nothing against New York taxi drivers, personally...I like Pakistani's as a rule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nicky...I was a Marine o311 rifleman and then a Force Recon marine.

personally...I like Pakistani's as a rule.

Oh, dear, now billybud is under Nicky's apostrophe spell, too...

Reaction Score
I have come to the conclusion in life, Nicky, that we all are what we are now, and carry with us what we have been.

I still am that young Marine. Still the trained warrior, but overlaid with years of education, years of work experience, years of being in a family, and years of learning life's limitations.

Certainly, age, education and experience have civilized me, but the Marine Corps built my core....a core that has served me well.

I sometimes return in my dreams to the green machine.

Reaction Score
Nothing against New York taxi drivers, personally...I like Pakistani's as a rule.
I don't know a single taxi driver. :p

My father is older than Pakistan. I prefer reference to my ancient blood, which is Pashtun.

Reaction Score
Oh, dear, now billybud is under Nicky's apostrophe spell, too...
"Oh Dear me".... must live in Greenwich Village in Manhatten pal!?! Hey its OK, it takes all kind's.Maybe were missing estrogen here? Too much testosterone.

Reaction Score

You realize Maryland owns more national and ACC titles than every ACC school save UNC, right?

Reaction Score
You realize Maryland owns more national and ACC titles than every ACC school save UNC, right?

He us a short term thinker just like his conference the ACC, and the old BE. We all know where old BE is at right now. Every decision is about what have you done for me yesterday. There is zero long term thinking or planning. ACC is being run by its puppet master ESPiN. When ESPiN finds a new toy to play with, ACC will be done and will be cast aside like the old BE. ACC better pray SEC does not become ESPiN's brand new shiny new toy in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom