Maryland is subpoenaing the world | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Maryland is subpoenaing the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers brought 3 million NJ residents in the NYC DMA. That's what the B1G bought. AAU would have helped but I think those numbers were what drove this decision.

That 3 million doesn't watch Rutgers and won't be watching Rutgers. But if the Big Ten can fleece them via Comcast somehow, it might pay off. Might.

Reaction Score
That 3 million doesn't watch Rutgers and won't be watching Rutgers. But if the Big Ten can fleece them via Comcast somehow, it might pay off. Might.
If Ohio State or Michigan or Michigan State is playing Rutgers, much of that 3 million will be tuning in.

Your delusion has gone from impressing me to annoying me in the span of 24 hours. Good job, I guess.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I can't get over the belief by some here that Louisville is some kind of a bad choice, and that Rutgers is some kind of a good choice. I keep asking myself, "Are these posters drunk?" Did you watch this year's Louisville-Rutgers men's basketball game at the AAC tournament? That is Rutgers athletics on display for the next 50 years. The ACC is well aware of this. The Big Ten "needs to help them" - Gene Smith, Ohio State. Good Luck! The first time Tom Izzo brings his team in there, he'll be calling the B1G office in Chicago after the game to find out who had been smoking crack there.

What part of "sole flagship university for a state with 9 million people" are you not appreciating?

Reaction Score
Blame the Big East...the Big East and their exiting members both got what they wanted...there is no BE suit....Why would Swofford push? It was a decision that he left up to the parties.

It was between the Big East and their exiting members....who both agreed that an early exit worked for both parties. what's hard to understand about that? And why would Swofford intervene?
There's nothing hard to understand. I get your point. My issue is Swofford selectively following bylaws. If his actions towards Maryland's exit was anything near human, I would agree with your points.

Reaction Score
If Ohio State or Michigan or Michigan State is playing Rutgers, much of that 3 million will be tuning in.

Your delusion has gone from impressing me to annoying me in the span of 24 hours. Good job, I guess.

No more will tune in to see Ohio State or Michigan or Michigan State play when they play Rutgers in NY/NJ than if they played Oregon. In fact, it might be less. Notre Dame just played Rutgers in Yankee Stadium, and fewer tuned in than when WVU played Syracuse there the year before.

If the Big Ten is counting on eyeballs, they have blundered very badly. If they plan to fleece cable subcribers, there is a chance. But they better hope against over the top television catching on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's nothing hard to understand. I get your point. My issue is Swofford selectively following bylaws. If his actions towards Maryland's exit was anything near human, I would agree with your points.

Swofford has done nothing to Maryland. The ACC has an exit fee that was completely disclosed to Dr. Wallace Loh before he did anything. If anyone has screwed Maryland, it is most certainly Dr. Wallace Loh if he did not account for the exit fee. He most certainly knew about it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think that it got personal when Loh hid from Swofford as word was leaking out and he an his staff would not return ACC calls.

If Maryland is in the right, the American jurisprudence system will bear them out. I think that the $52 million fee was always a reach and is problematic.

But, there is seemingly little latitude for Maryland getting out of the previous $20 something million exit fee. The ACC has now withheld that, and if the court so directs, will refund any overages.

Reaction Score
Swofford has done nothing to Maryland. The ACC has an exit fee that was completely disclosed to Dr. Wallace Loh before he did anything. If anyone has screwed Maryland, it is most certainly Dr. Wallace Loh if he did not account for the exit fee. He most certainly knew about it.
Um, I'm sure Dr. Loh knew about the exit fee in question, since he was part of that sham vote. That is entirely beside the point.

Reaction Score
I think that it got personal when Loh hid from Swofford as word was leaking out and he an his staff would not return ACC calls.

If Maryland is in the right, the American jurisprudence system will bear them out. I think that the $52 million fee was always a reach and is problematic.

But, there is seemingly little latitude for Maryland getting out of the previous $20 something million exit fee. The ACC has now withheld that, and if the court so directs, will refund any overages.

As some saying goes. Swofford can give it (7 times), but can't take it (once).

I agree with your other point. It's now up to the lawyers and the courts.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame men's basketball and women's basketball and soccer are well regarded.

And playing the Irish in five OOC games a year gives OOC games that are anticipated by fans. Just as, I assume, UConn fans would anticipate a go at the Irish. I know that I am looking forward to the FSU-ND game this season.

Not one to defend ND, but they have a good men's lax team, too. Lax is being looked at seriously as the next big sport. It's the reason Johns Hopkins is tied to the B1G now (and a sport Maryland does add value).

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Ask this guy. http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/mike-francesa-rutgers-hangs-up/
In fact call in to find out how many of that 9 million pay attention to Rutgers or the millions in New York. Someone posted here earlier this basketball season that Rutgers was only getting 400-500 people to a basketball game.

Yet in 2012, Rutgers averaged 3000 per football game than Virginia. 46,000 (UVA) to 49000 (Rutgers) and that's with Rutgers playing in the old Big East. Rutgers even averaged about 800 less per game than your precious Louisville that year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For something that's supposed to be just business, a whole lot of people are taking this awfully personally.

Reaction Score
Not one to defend ND, but they have a good men's lax team, too. Lax is being looked at seriously as the next big sport. It's the reason Johns Hopkins is tied to the B1G now (and a sport Maryland does add value).
Yes Notre Dame does. Our team went up there and got their butts kicked last Sunday in humiliating fashion 18-9 in their indoor facility on ESPNU. Very embarrassing. But UVA fans had just won the ACC men's basketball tournament, so the pain was somewhat mitigated.

We beat Johns Hopkins yesterday. It would be nice to see Connecticut add men's lacrosse at some point. It's a fun spectator sport.

Reaction Score
Yet in 2012, Rutgers averaged 3000 per football game than Virginia. 46,000 (UVA) to 49000 (Rutgers) and that's with Rutgers playing in the old Big East. Rutgers even averaged about 800 less per game than your precious Louisville that year.

46000 is about right for a team going 4-8. UVA fans are fair weather. In 2007, which was the last good UVA football team, the average was 59,800. What would Rutgers numbers be for a 4-8 team? That 2012 Rutgers team was 9-3.

Reaction Score
well...FSU plays in the Southeastern Lacrosse Conference (SELC)...with nine members of the SEC and seven of the ACC.

Feels right at home with Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, etc...and the ACC riff raff of FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT, GT, Wake, and NC State.....

A solid Boss Hoss of a lacrosse conference....

Reaction Score
well...FSU plays in the Southeastern Lacrosse Conference (SELC)...with nine members of the SEC and seven of the ACC.

Feels right at home with Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, etc...and the ACC riff raff of FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT, GT, Wake, and NC State.....

A solid Boss Hoss of a lacrosse conference....

At some point some of these ACC schools should consider making their team a varsity team. ACC men's lacrosse teams with Syracuse now on board have 9 of the past 12 NCAA Champions. Syracuse with 4, UVA with 3, and Duke with 2. It's a good lacrosse league. Tough, but good.

dayooper

Reaction Score
46000 is about right for a team going 4-8. UVA fans are fair weather. In 2007, which was the last good UVA football team, the average was 59,800. What would Rutgers numbers be for a 4-8 team? That 2012 Rutgers team was 9-3.

Yet you put Louisville on a pedestal when they are high, but discount Rutgers as saying they were just good that year.

As a Michigan fan, I am not that excited about Rutgers (or UMD for that matter) but will welcome them with open arms. They are part of us now. I believe that UMD was rather clandestine in their move to The Big10, but they have been. Business isn't done out in the open and most moves are made behind closed doors. It wasn't done in the best way, but it's the way deals are made.

That being said, the actions of Swofford and The ACC are deplorable. They are intentionally harming UMD by with holding money they way they did. That hasn't been done before and looks very bad to those on the outside of the mess. In my opinion, Swofford either is a very vindictive person of he was trying to prevent others from leaving until they had a GoR in place. Either way, The ACC comes off looking very nasty.

Reaction Score
Excuuuuuuse me?

Withholding money against the owed exit fee is the normal bylaw method for dealing with an exit from the conference.

Maryland's representative actually framed the language that resulted in the $20+ million exit fee...and was later expanded. Maryland knew the lay of the land.

Rutgers was able to negotiate down their BE exit fee to $11.5 million from $15 million....I suspect that Maryland will get away with about $20 million.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yet you put Louisville on a pedestal when they are high, but discount Rutgers as saying they were just good that year.

As a Michigan fan, I am not that excited about Rutgers (or UMD for that matter) but will welcome them with open arms. They are part of us now. I believe that UMD was rather clandestine in their move to The Big10, but they have been. Business isn't done out in the open and most moves are made behind closed doors. It wasn't done in the best way, but it's the way deals are made.

That being said, the actions of Swofford and The ACC are deplorable. They are intentionally harming UMD by with holding money they way they did. That hasn't been done before and looks very bad to those on the outside of the mess. In my opinion, Swofford either is a very vindictive person of he was trying to prevent others from leaving until they had a GoR in place. Either way, The ACC comes off looking very nasty.

Louisville averages the third highest attendance for men's basketball in the NCAA behind only Syracuse and Kentucky. Their football is right around 50,000. They have a $90 plus million per year athletics department budget. That's before being in the ACC. Their numbers are higher than most everyone else in the ACC for athletics. Football stadiums are larger at FSU, Clemson, VT, UVA, and some others. But I have no issue with Louisville's athletics performance at all.

The ACC has done nothing nasty. Maryland is the party that chose to leave. The ACC has an exit fee about which Maryland was fully disclosed before choosing to leave. The ACC expects Maryland to pay it. The offset that the ACC is collecting helps cover part of Maryland's debt. Maryland trying to be deadbeat looks a whole lot worse than anything the ACC is doing.

Last edited:

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Ask this guy. http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/mike-francesa-rutgers-hangs-up/
In fact call in to find out how many of that 9 million pay attention to Rutgers or the millions in New York. Someone posted here earlier this basketball season that Rutgers was only getting 400-500 people to a basketball game.

Now, that link's url contains "mike" and "francesa", so I'm not going to click on it, given that links that involve "mike" and "francesa" tend to involve the worthless, bloated opinions of Mike Francesa, New York City local sports radio personality and well-known ignorant human being where college sports (particularly college football, as the New York Yankees do not play college football) are concerned. If it is that important to this discussion, please provide a summary.

Moving on past that: is the argument, then, that not enough New Jerseyans pay attention to Rutgers? That may be true--certainly I see a lot of block Rs on the backs of cars down here in South Jersey, but they're not on, like, every car, or even a majority of them, so we have some room to grow. If you're saying growth is impossible, I mean, okay, I guess it's possible growth is impossible, but, again, given that there's one FBS team for the entire state (that is sponsored by the one flagship university for the entire state) and Rutgers has, since the 00s, made that team a priority, and now that team is a member of the league with some of the preeminent brands in FBS football, I would say increasing interest in Rutgers football is more likely than decreasing or stagnant interest.

Reaction Score
Now, that link's url contains "mike" and "francesa", so I'm not going to click on it, given that links that involve "mike" and "francesa" tend to involve the worthless, bloated opinions of Mike Francesa, New York City local sports radio personality and well-known ignorant human being where college sports (particularly college football, as the New York Yankees do not play college football) are concerned. If it is that important to this discussion, please provide a summary.

Moving on past that: is the argument, then, that not enough New Jerseyans pay attention to Rutgers? That may be true--certainly I see a lot of block Rs on the backs of cars down here in South Jersey, but they're not on, like, every car, or even a majority of them, so we have some room to grow. If you're saying growth is impossible, I mean, okay, I guess it's possible growth is impossible, but, again, given that there's one FBS team for the entire state (that is sponsored by the one flagship university for the entire state) and Rutgers has, since the 00s, made that team a priority, and now that team is a member of the league with some of the preeminent brands in FBS football, I would say increasing interest in Rutgers football is more likely than decreasing or stagnant interest.

Good Luck in the Big Ten. Be thankful you're there. It is up to Rutgers to now get the 9 million New Jersey residents to start to pay attention.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Louisville averages the third highest attendance for men's basketball in the NCAA behind only Syracuse and Kentucky. Their football is right around 50,000. They have a $90 plus million per year athletics department budget. That's before being in the ACC. Their numbers are higher than most everyone else in the ACC for athletics. Football stadiums are larger at FSU, Clemson, VT, UVA, and some others. But I have no issue with Louisville's athletics performance at all.

The ACC has done nothing nasty. Maryland is the party that chose to leave. The ACC has an exit fee about which Maryland was fully disclosed before choosing to leave. The ACC expects Maryland to pay it. The offset that the ACC is collecting helps cover part of Maryland's debt. Maryland trying to be deadbeat looks a whole lot worse than anything the ACC is doing.

You rip on Rutgers and their attendance, yet you completely ignore the football aspect of the issue. That's my problem. They have had anywhere between 46,000 and 49,000 since 2009 (had 42,000 in 2008). You can't have it both ways. Yes, they should be hung out to dry as far as basketball goes. Give credit where credit is due in the football realm, though.

As far as The ACC goes, we will never see eye to eye and I will leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Are you seriously trying to promote Rutgers as a Lacrosse power? Seriously? Don't you mean Princeton? I'm confused.
We're talking about college athletics here. And some keep wanting to talk about academics. That's a side conversation. Rutgers has not been relevant in college athletics of any kind in over half a century. I'm not worried about Rutgers Lacrosse cracking the seal. Billybud is correct. The UConn fans have a much bigger gripe with the Big Ten for taking Rutgers than the ACC taking Louisville. Again, did you watch the Louisville Rutgers men's basketball game? It is the epitome of Rutgers athletics in the Big Ten. Fun fun!
Who said their a power yet?Quit putting words in peoples mouthes!! Heck UVa ain't a Lax power!!

Reaction Score
But why wouldn't you pick Louisville for athletics...a national champion in basketball, a BCS bowl winner, a college world series team..

Sure, UConn can sniff about doing better in a brain bowl...but Louisville is much better then UConn of late in basketball, football, and baseball.
The reason is back in the time of BC and Miami, the ACC insisted that academics mattered. Now they changed their tune. And by the way, just prior to the ACC invite to the Ville, UConn defeated them in football, and last year took the BE tourney from them in baseball. They have been doing well in athletics, yes, but it will cycle away as these things tend to do. It was just the blatant hypocrisy of the ACC offices that cause such outrage. In my mind, FSU=BC on scum level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom