Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Maryland’s $157 million counterclaim: ACC recruited B1G schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seeing as how the ACC was incorporated in the State of NC, and, is bound by NC corporate law, isn't it only natural that the case be adjudicated in NC?

FYI, the ACC isn't incorporated, and what's "natural" doesn't have much to do with it in the absence of a forum selection clause. If Maryland is wronged in Maryland, it can pursue remedies for those wrongs in Maryland courts against defendants, as long as those defendants are subject to the jurisdiction of Maryland courts (and the ACC is). Here, the ACC filed in N.C. first.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
It's on all good realignment boards. It's here. It's on that 750 page realignment thread on Shaggy Bevo. It's on the CSNBBS board. But I can't get anyone on the UVA board to give a flip about it. We're too self absorbed with football recruiting and this basketball team to care at all about Maryland's lawsuit with the ACC. We just beat Maryland's basketball team this week for the sixth time in a row, and the ACC chants were loud. All we got was a crass tweet from Scott Van Pelt "Everyone will chant ACC at Maryland this year. It's ironic for UVA though. Where do they think they would be without the grant of rights?".

Well Mr. Moron. The answer is right where we are. I wonder if he's still being paid to put positive spin on the Maryland move?

Scott Van Pelt is a joke. For somebody, especially a UMD alumni who works at ESPN, he is completely clueless about how CR was originally supposed to play out. UNC and UVA were the B1G's original targets. Not UMD and Rutgers. If UNC and UVA had made the jump, UMD would still be in the ACC.

He is just PO'ed that the ACC did not schedule any games with UNC, NCSU, or Duke, in College Park this season. What did he expect? A feel-good farewell tour?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Seeing as how the ACC was incorporated in the State of NC, and, is bound by NC corporate law, isn't it only natural that the case be adjudicated in NC?

You keep saying that Tobacco Road has too much power. Well, TR's wishes on expansion were overruled in 2003, again in 2011, and, in 2013. Nobody held a gun to the heads of other ACC schools, and, forced them to vote with TR in the past. That is fallacy.

State of incorporation is irrelevant as to venue. For instance, large corporations are often incorporated in Deleware but when dealing with one another will often choose an impartial jurisdiction (often NY) to adjudicate issues. Courts often interpret the laws of another state, that is a non-point.

Reaction Score
State of incorporation is irrelevant as to venue. For instance, large corporations are often incorporated in Deleware but when dealing with one another will often choose an impartial jurisdiction (often NY) to adjudicate issues. Courts often interpret the laws of another state, that is a non-point.

Thanks. I did not know that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

The state in which a suit is filed must have jurisdiction in the case. Many times that means where the plaintiff was wronged. If a company is incorporated in Delaware but does all of its business in Idaho, I don't think they can file suit in New York simply because it is impartial.

You're other statement is correct though. State of incorporation is irrelevant to where one files a suit.

Reaction Score
State of incorporation is irrelevant to where one files a suit.

Except as to an argument of jurisdiction over a defendant incorporated in that state. If ESPN is incorporated in Delaware, it can't object to jurisdiction of the Delaware courts over it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Except as to an argument of jurisdiction over a defendant incorporated in that state. If ESPN is incorporated in Delaware, it can't object to jurisdiction of the Delaware courts over it.
That only makes sense. I interjected myself into SouthernCross' statement of the ACC being incorporated in N. Carolina so the case must be adjudicated in NC and WHH response of the impartial venue.

So bottom line is that the case can, but is not required to, be heard in the state of incorporation...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Of course it can be heard in the state of incorporation, but almost every business deal agrees to venue. The fact that the ACC agreement is N.C. is indicative of the power the N.C. schools have had in the conference.

For instance, when Wal-Mart and Joey's BBQ sauce (making it up) sign a contract, how much do you want to be that the venue is Arkansas? But, if Ford and Mercedes were to have an agreement for a JV, you better believe the venue would be neither Michigan nor Germany - it would probably be NY or London.

Reaction Score
Scott Van Pelt is a joke. For somebody, especially a UMD alumni who works at ESPN, he is completely clueless about how CR was originally supposed to play out. UNC and UVA were the B1G's original targets. Not UMD and Rutgers. If UNC and UVA had made the jump, UMD would still be in the ACC.

He is just PO'ed that the ACC did not schedule any games with UNC, NCSU, or Duke, in College Park this season. What did he expect? A feel-good farewell tour?
"Not MD or RU"..... Respectfully, sorry Southroncross but I know for a fact that the B1G has been working/colluding with RU for over a decade to work them into the B1G under and over the table but needed the right set of circumstances. I don't think its a big secret to those with their ears towards CR in the NE? SU and Pitt IMO knew this and I surmise ran begging to the ACC quickly to save face. I like you and almost didn't comment but just had too. Md was considered a little later after Tex/ND were found to be no goes as a DC/NYC snatch as option B. If ND or Texas had said yes MD was out with RU as the #1 option/add. Since Md needed appeasement they got frontloads and offered(officially) 1st. We all know Delany love's UNC and desires them but no one thought or expected "in 04" them(UNC) to be on the table.

Reaction Score
So Nicky..you know for a fact?

You work in the Big Ten office? Or maybe have a tap on Delaney's phone?

Or does Delaney beam straight through and is picked up by the fillings in your teeth or your tin foil hat?

Reaction Score
Rutgers has been discussed as a potential Big Ten expansion candidate as far back as 1993.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ommissioner-jim-delany-big-southwest-missouri

Maryland was discussed as a potential Big Ten expansion candidate in 2010 following the 2009 announcement that the Big Ten was studying expansion.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...y-much-in-play-as-a-big-ten-expansion-target/
According to Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune, not only is Rutgers — long-rumored to be on the radar, if for nothing more than the potential of bringing the New York/New Jersey market into the league’s television footprint — still of interest to the conference, but Maryland should be considered part of the expansion equation as well.

Yes. Delany et al. were interested in UNC and UVA; however, Maryland and Rutgers have been given consideration as expansion candidates for some time as well.

Reaction Score

Or does Delaney beam straight through and is picked up by the fillings in your teeth or your tin foil hat?
Does it matter to you now? Pretty common knowledge up here Mr Dontknowitall outside you're southern loop!

Reaction Score
Now pardon me while us peons shovel out of 2ft of snow!! I wish I had you're time to propagandize but I don't! As you were!

Reaction Score
The same"common knowledge" that had UNC and Virginia leaving to the B1G?

Sure, I understand that people were noodling about Rutgers...much like they noodled about a half dozen other schools.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has been discussed as a potential Big Ten expansion candidate as far back as 1993.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ommissioner-jim-delany-big-southwest-missouri

Maryland was discussed as a potential Big Ten expansion candidate in 2010 following the 2009 announcement that the Big Ten was studying expansion.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...y-much-in-play-as-a-big-ten-expansion-target/
According to Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune, not only is Rutgers — long-rumored to be on the radar, if for nothing more than the potential of bringing the New York/New Jersey market into the league’s television footprint — still of interest to the conference, but Maryland should be considered part of the expansion equation as well.

Yes. Delany et al. were interested in UNC and UVA; however, Maryland and Rutgers have been given consideration as expansion candidates for some time as well.
I've just about had it with these ACC boosters pushing their agendas so I rarely bother with them or their arrogant,disrespectful ways.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sure, I understand that people were noodling about Rutgers...much like they noodled about a half dozen other schools.
Yeah but they didnt have the "connections" or an "in" billy!!Promises made, promises kept.

Reaction Score

The B1G list of 15 was cut to 4."Mar 4/5?"10"

Reaction Score
Yeah Nicky...I am just busting your chops.

Saying that "you know for a fact that the Big ten has been working with/colluding for a decade"...is a strong and unsupported statement.

If one says that Rutgers had been one of the many schools talked about as an potential "add" for the B1G over several years...I wouldn't be picking on you.

Reaction Score
Yeah Nicky...I am just busting your chops.

Saying that "you know for a fact that the Big ten has been working with/colluding for a decade"...is a strong and unsupported statement.

If one says that Rutgers had been one of the many schools talked about as an potential "add" for the B1G over several years...I wouldn't be picking on you.
It will stay unsupported for now too as it's not my place but its also maybe the worst kept secret among those "in the loop" up here!! Re{(Chop bustin).. I know but this snow has me cranky I guess?Anyone who don't believe Pitt and Cuse didn't know beforehand is not being honest! How would it have looked to have RU leave them behind in CR?But since were guests billy this ain't the proper forum here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

its Delany not Delaney....most misspelled name on here!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I don't think that's accurate.

New Jersey and Maryland were logical next steps - hugely populated and near the most major of television markets, excellent recruiting grounds, contiguous and right in Penn State's backyard.

Reaction Score
Several Big Ten athletic directors have said that they thought that Delany was spooked by the ACC's move on Notre Dame and that he moved to protect Penn State from poaching.

Penn State was seen as an eastern outlier that may be vulnerable to an ACC approach.

Reaction Score

All I have to go on is E. Gordon Gee's pontification that Rutgers and Maryland were a pair and always viewed as a pair. A pair of what I have no idea. He also mentioned UVA and UNC by name. Who they wanted first I have no idea, but UVA and UNC aren't interested. I don't believe that the GOR saved UVA for the ACC either. Every time the rumor mill starts up again about UVA going to the Big Ten it's like the Eye of Sauron, Jim Delaney, is looking our way again. We are not interested in Mordor. Scott Van Pelt can have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom