Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But lets put this perspective people. Geno played 7 players, mainly 6 in the fourth period, and it was MU that was fatigued at the end of the game. Not the team that has played 4 games in 7 days. Who's complaining about Geno's training techniques now?
Actually Mr. Know-It-All, Geno only played 6 players all game, and only 5 in the 4th period. At least get the obvious right.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And I liked how the Fox announcers gushed about Azzi and rightfully so.

Azzi is more or less coming in during the middle of the season and is catching some folks off guard. She's really, really good, and she's getting better every week. She got national television exposure the past 2 Sundays, so there is a buzz starting out there.

Reaction Score
What I will take away from the game.

Marquette4.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think that Geno is rediscovering the joy (and frustration) of coaching. For many years, all he had to do was recruit, and throw 5 tremendous players on the court. The only questionable thing was how much they would win by. Now, they are evaluating and changing things up on the fly, as seen in the 4th quarter against Marquette.
I believe you didn’t mean it that way but your statement is oversimplifying the efforts of Geno, CD, the assistants, AND the players in prior years. He’s had to cover up a lot of flaws in the past and did it so masterfully, he made a lot of games look effortless.

Reaction Score
Admiral Lord Nelson gathered his fleet Captains before the Battle of Trafalgar. Knowing that in the smoke and confusion of a major fleet action even experienced Captains can lose their way, he advised that "No Captain can do very wrong if he place his ship alongside the enemy." With UConn this translates to if a possession is going badly or the other team is taking the initiative no player can go wrong by finding Azzi and getting her the ball. Or Paige when she returns.
You know your History quite well !

Reaction Score
A reasonable price to pay in my opinion. She would go out a winner, along with CW and ONO and Evina and we would have #12, and a very young and exciting team going for lucky #13.
Good point of #12 & #13 !

Reaction Score
Regarding Nelson's comment " No Captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside the enemy ", what that really means is that the captain's job is to put the team in a place where the team can engage effectively. The players play the game but the leader puts them in a position where they can play effectively. In the same battle, the signature move was they split the larger fleet by sailing directly into them. He did more than enabled his team to be effective by coming along side the enemy but his point is well taken.
RE: Admiral Nelson's comment - - If and one of #180 is Professor, you Team First of #183 is Scholar !!

Reaction Score

View attachment 73327
This is why you wait to celebrate until the end the game. I remember when I was at UCONN and they were playing against Boston College.... there was a player who could not play name Becky Godstein (spelling) and BC had taken an early lead in the game and she was over on the sidelines celebrating. Then a student in the student section ( who shall remain nameless) reminded her to sit down because she was supposed to be injured. To make a long story short, BC lost that game and the celebrating they did early on only made them look more foolish...

Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been previously posted. On the missed layups I think Evina showed everyone one option when down low. She knew the defender was trailing her by a step, with momentum, then froze (didn’t walk), allowing the defender to pass her and then laid it up for two, and one. You don’t always have to put it up right away. A pump fake will do wonders, just remember to keep those feet planted.
You talk like a Sport commentator or coach! Good analysis !

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A facial gesture of Evina's in the 4th quarter tweaked my concern

-101:19 after a steal and layup maybe 3rd step seems a bit labored... more noticeable at 101:22 when back on D.
Subtle stuff...I don't have (or know how to use slo-mo)...Could be wrong...

-But at 102:32 when she runs back to the bench after Marquette called a time-out game-faced happiness turns to a noticeable weary look...pain? (just as Nika puts her arm around her shoulder).

It was that expression that caused me to look back at the previous possessions.

No concrete conclusion...I'm not a doctor...but this young lady is giving it all while possibly not being 100% fit. No surprise there...

But we'll probably never know just how much less than fully fit this gallant young woman truly is.

Reaction Score
agreed
Sorry I don’t think her defense was strong. I saw her lose her man more than once, not defend a pick and roll well, and make mistakes with the ball. You never know what you are getting from game to game.

We would all agree she played great against Tennessee. But in the next game against Nova she had 4 points, 1 rebound, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls in 30 minutes.

Against DePaul she was strong. The next game against Marquette she played 25 minutes was 1-6 and had 2 points in 25 minutes. There was a reason she was on the bench in the fourth quarter.

People love her play because she is athletic and physical. To me, she can be inconsistent at times and that is a problem. She has to be rested mind and body to play well and I don’t think she improved over the summer as expected because she didn’t play enough games and her training was effected by the Olympics. I am just surmising that. This was not her fault though and she was laudably playing for her country. The only reason I can think of for the extreme fluctuations from game to game is conditioning, energy and just fatigue because of the amount of minutes all our players have had to play. If she plays well on Friday after 4 days rest I think it corroborates the energy theory. I hope that is the explanation because it will be a simple fix soon enough once the cavalry comes back and as we know when she is on her game she is a dominating force.

Reaction Score
A facial gesture of Evina's in the 4th quarter tweaked my concern

-101:19 after a steal and layup maybe 3rd step seems a bit labored... more noticeable at 101:22 when back on D.
Subtle stuff...I don't have (or know how to use slo-mo)...Could be wrong...

-But at 102:32 when she runs back to the bench after Marquette called a time-out game-faced happiness turns to a noticeable weary look...pain? (just as Nika puts her arm around her shoulder).

It was that expression that caused me to look back at the previous possessions.

No concrete conclusion...I'm not a doctor...but this young lady is giving it all while possibly not being 100% fit. No surprise there...

But we'll probably never know just how much less than fully fit this gallant young woman truly is.
You would never know it from her performance. She was getting the ball on cuts and showed some slick moves under the basket. She is a warrior no doubt and she seems to have great understanding in each game of what the team needs from her. Very selfless player.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Azzi is more or less coming in during the middle of the season and is catching some folks off guard. She's really, really good, and she's getting better every week. She got national television exposure the past 2 Sundays, so there is a buzz starting out there.
'Bout time.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sorry I don’t think her defense was strong. I saw her lose her man more than once, not defend a pick and roll well, and make mistakes with the ball. You never know what you are getting from game to game.

We would all agree she played great against Tennessee. But in the next game against Nova she had 4 points, 1 rebound, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls in 30 minutes.

Against DePaul she was strong. The next game against Marquette she played 25 minutes was 1-6 and had 2 points in 25 minutes. There was a reason she was on the bench in the fourth quarter.

People love her play because she is athletic and physical. To me, she can be inconsistent at times and that is a problem. She has to be rested mind and body to play well and I don’t think she improved over the summer as expected because she didn’t play enough games and her training was effected by the Olympics. I am just surmising that. This was not her fault though and she was laudably playing for her country. The only reason I can think of for the extreme fluctuations from game to game is conditioning, energy and just fatigue because of the amount of minutes all our players have had to play. If she plays well on Friday after 4 days rest I think it corroborates the energy theory. I hope that is the explanation because it will be a simple fix soon enough once the cavalry comes back and as we know when she is on her game she is a dominating force.
I think what you've said more corroborates the "She's still a freshman and gets down on herself" theory or maybe perhaps, "She's still fighting a foot injury" theory, rather than the "She needs to be rested mind and body" theory.

Reaction Score
It seems that the assistant coaches are rooting for their players and feel such pride for them. It's as if they were surrogate parents and that's a very good thing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looks like that was Kathy Auriemma celebrating with the team in the locker room at the end of the video.

Nice to see the team so joyful.

That does look like Kathy. Yes, the team has had a crazy, difficult season. It's great to see their joy.

Reaction Score

View attachment 73327
So this site can post how wonderful it is that the Uconn bench celebrates (which it is), applaud videos of Bueckers doing the same as these young ladies (which is perfectly fine), but let’s ridicule opponents for it! Honestly, just immature and hypocritical. It is a GAME!! Have a little understanding of the mindset of these players and programs giving the legendary Uconn program genuine competition.

Reaction Score
It takes TEAM offense to free up open shooters, like Marquette in the first half and Villanova the other day. UConn isn't getting Azzi open for jumpers. She has to create off the dribble. Which we know now, she can do. Then the J's open up.
I challenge BY historians now to make historical comparisons to UConn shooters of yesteryear. KLS- pure shooter with length but could not create her own shot, ever. KML- pure shooter, had MM there to open everything up, create her own shot?
Nice article in today’s Hartford Courant about Azzi Fudd and what she has meant to this team since her return from injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom