Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I hope that Fox has these two announcers for the Big East tournament semi finals and finals. They were the best announcers from any of the National or Sports Networks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm getting to these comments late, after lots of others have posted, so what I'm going to say is probably nothing new. Boy, was this an entertaining game. I'm not sure about this, but I cannot recall a game where UConn played another team absolutely even for three quarters -- back and forth, multiple lead changes, the game in doubt all the way, and then blew them out over a five minute-or-so period in the fourth. Marquette looked every bit as good as UConn for long stretches of this game (and better for a few, with their ability to drive to the basket and shoot accurately over UConn's defense). Yet after two steals, and Azzi and Evina catching fire, it was like someone stuck a pin in a balloon. Marquette just couldn't do anything at the end. Remarkable.

I'd like to think it means something for the games ahead, but I'm not counting on it.

Reaction Score
I just want to say it was a great day for UConn. A thrilling men's game followed by a women's game that had drama for 3 quarters and then an old time UConn 4th quarter finish. Super bowl? Compared to UConn, anticlimactic...

Reaction Score
I hope that Fox has these two announcers for the Big East tournament semi finals and finals. They were the best announcers from any of the National or Sports Networks.
Funny last fox game everyone was killing Lisa Byington for Mis identifying the players on several occasions

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Love these close games! You get to see which team has the stones for these battles. The mental toughness to grind it out. With all that this team has gone through this season, they are mentally tough and looked like they were ready for this moment. The first three quarters, it was nip and tuck. 4th quarter starts, UConn just blew the doors open! Loved it!! Azzi and Dorka. Outstanding game. Dealing with an assortment of body aches and pains. These two young ladies, put the team on their backs and battled to the end!

Nika. What can I say about this young lady that hasn't been said already? Love the fact that she continues to bring toughness and leadership to this team. Also, she might not score a lot but she helps out in other areas. Like rebounding and being a pest on defense. Another key contribution, her turnovers are way down and her assists are up. As a team, UConn only had 6! Pretty awesome. But props to Nika for just being a great teammate.

Evina!! Lady E. Mama E. She has been crushing it lately. Today was just another example of how she has embraced whatever role that is thrown her way. 70% shooting. 70%!! Also, she was active on defense. Active hands, feet, and voice. Great work, Evina!!

Props to Aaliyah as well. She has been assertive over these past few games. After that first DePaul game, she has become active and assertive in the paint. Not her best offensive game but she was being active on the defensive end. Missed some bunnies here and there. Like who wasn't missing bunnies out there today. Aaliyah is making some strides at the right time.

C-Dub. Not her best shooting game. But she, like the rest of the squad, chipped in on the defensive end and made it tough for Marquette. Shots aren't falling, help out in other ways. Great work, young leader.

Loved the mindset of this team. They are mentally tough. Love this about this team. Mentally tough!!
Some folks think you have to play a top10 team to have a “test.” Nay I say. Today’s game against a good Marquette team with only 6 players was a test!! UConn passed with flying colors.

Adversity either builds character or reveals it. UConn did some character building today that will payoff in the coming weeks. Every player and staff member has to be proud of today’s performance. Well done UConn, well done!

Reaction Score
I'm getting to these comments late, after lots of others have posted, so what I'm going to say is probably nothing new. Boy, was this an entertaining game. I'm not sure about this, but I cannot recall a game where UConn played another team absolutely even for three quarters -- back and forth, multiple lead changes, the game in doubt all the way, and then blew them out over a five minute-or-so period in the fourth. Marquette looked every bit as good as UConn for long stretches of this game (and better for a few, with their ability to drive to the basket and shoot accurately over UConn's defense). Yet after two steals, and Azzi and Evina catching fire, it was like someone stuck a pin in a balloon. Marquette just couldn't do anything at the end. Remarkable.

I'd like to think it means something for the games ahead, but I'm not counting on it.
Why not? 5 games left. Only Marquette at home to worry about. Injuries healed, everyone back, including PB. Demolish conference tournament. Head of steam into NCAA's. (who cares seeding- doesn't matter)

Reaction Score
I hope that Fox has these two announcers for the Big East tournameni finals and finals. They were the best announcers from any of the National or Sports Networks.
But there were a couple of times they were talking about players or injuries or whatever, and not explaining a call or action on the court, and never got back to even mention it....

Reaction Score
Before her injury yes and it’s still a weak spot for her. She’s gotten better since she’s been back but I think they’re about even on that front.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
And use a screen properly. There are so many illegal screens called against every team I watch because nobody rubs off the screen or they move before it's set which makes the screener lean into the defender. A screen is not worth the dust on a dragon's butt if you don't use it properly.
". . . the dust on a dragon's butt . . .?" That's a sports metaphor that I never hoped to encounter on the Boneyard . . . or anywhere else! I'm still processing it.

Reaction Score
its kinda funny. After the road DePaul game, I was like Caroline really plays well with Dorka, they got great chemistry. Then after the Tennessee game, i say the same thing about Dorka and Aaliyah and how they play well together. After this game Azzi and Dorka. Finally I've come to the conclusion that Dorka is a really good team player/facilitator. Really happy she had such a big weekend. lol. I do want to say, that Dorka and Evina play well together. Like, EW actually has had some great passes to Dorka to get her easy looks.
selfishly we better hope she doesn't play too great or she'll be off to the WNBA or Europe or both after this season.....,I'd like her back next year to help the younger posts.......;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A few follow up comments:
-Assuming Paige comes back, who would you want in the playoffs more than:
-Fudd and Williams at guard
-Paige at point guard with Nika backing her up
-Dorka and ONO at dual posts with Edwards as primary sub
-Caroline and Evina as first off the bench
-Other than Boston and whoever she plays with, not too many combos on other teams I would take against any of these twosomes. As brutal as this year has been, no one will want to play this team.
-After watching Azzi drive and move with the ball, I wonder if she is the best ball handler on the current team.
-I believe it has been five games, all gritty, close performances, where Evina has come off the bench when UConn was struggling and immediately made a 3. Have not checked, but also believe Evina made a 3 and/or a steal for a layup in 4th quarter each game as well.
-When Dorka started the year with her thumb and hand taped, I did not understand why Geno recruited her. Apologies. Now that she can grip the ball, very smooth and diverse player. I just hope her great play of late doesn't make her a top 5 draft choice.
Fine post.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
But there were a couple of times they were talking about players or injuries or whatever, and not explaining a call or action on the court, and never got back to even mention it....
Didn't say they were perfect, only the best of any of the National or Sports Networks. Most of the time the other announcers are talking about other stuff than what is happening on the court, or even about other games, these two talked mostly about this game.

Reaction Score
UConn got a tough win.

Azzi was sublime. Christy Winters said it best “Get the ball to Fudd and get out of the way.” She decided in the fourth quarter that UConn wasn’t going to lose and so they didn’t. It was that simple. She was the missing piece as UConn has struggled in the 4th frame this year. That 8-0 run by herself looked easy and kudos to her team for feeding the best.

Dorka was a gamechanger on both sides of the ball. She isn’t scared to shoot or drive or whatever was needed. Keep her hands up on D and her and Azzi played who can make more threes.

Evina brought a strong spark off the bench. She was shifty and probed on O and D. Christyn did her best with what she was given. Nika played some good D down the stretch. Aaliyah really tried, but the yips continue.

Moving forward, screening, boxing out, and protecting the ball are so crucial. All in all, Marquette had a good strategy glad UConn sneaked away from this game with a win. All is well again
Didn't tune in until the 4th quarter; Uh Oh, here we go again; then BAM, we were off to the races. Great finish, the defense swarming, as others have said, it's about time.

Reaction Score
Just an image for now:

2021_11_7FortHaysTigersUConnWBB142.0.jpeg
CLASSIC FORM

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno was asked about the improvement in D in the 4th quarter and said
something to the effect that they understood the Marquette O better and were able
to adjust...

I humbly disagree:
It was pure effort and determination, going after every dribble, blocking shots, causing general mayhem. Had little to do with X's and O's
You disagree with the coach? Maybe UConn was able to do those things so well because they figured out what Marquette was trying to do. All the determination and effort a team puts forth won't mean a thing if they don't understand what the other team is doing.

Reaction Score
The was a play in the second quarter which illustrated how strong Azzi is. There was a rebound where a Marquette player got two hands in the ball and Azzi got one. The opponent tried to wrestle the ball away and couldn’t, resulting in a jump ball. If one sees her up close, her physique resembles a strong safety. That’s why she is able to play 40 minutes on short rest and dominate the game in the last three minutes of the fourth quarter. I shudder to think what she will be like when they have six guards available and she can actually get some quality rest during a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom