Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Glad to see that Azzi is silencing her critics on this board............first she was a one-dimensional offensive player who couldn't get her own shot or drive to the basket and second, she couldn't play any defense.......frankly, as far as I'm concerned, she hasn't even hit her stride yet..........if she can remain healthy there's much more to come........

Reaction Score
Glad to see that Azzi is silencing her critics on this board............first she was a one-dimensional offensive player who couldn't get her own shot or drive to the basket and second, she couldn't play any defense.......frankly, as far as I'm concerned, she hasn't even hit her stride yet..........if she can remain healthy there's much more to come........
When she gets into D1 BBall shape she will be a handful

Reaction Score
Just WOW!!!

In the last DePaul thread, I said that it might have been the most complete game this season, and one of the best games we played in a long while.

This game, that Q4 might have been the best Q4 of the season. Remember entering Q4 with the score close against several opponents, only to collapse? This was the opposite.

And it wasn't just Azzi Fudd scoring. It was the entire team. The defense was spectacular.
  • Westbrook with steals and some great moves on offense
  • Muhl absolutely harrassing whoever she was guarding everywhere on the floor
  • Fudd did not let the offensive player get past her, and her shooting was sensational
  • Juhaz - some great defense, and I thought there were a couple of fouls that should not have been called on her. And that 3 ball late - wow!
  • Christyn was just solid
I loved mixing up the defense in Q4. Instead of us getting worn down, only 5 core players went out and wore them down. On the negative side, Edwards had definitely taken 3 or 4 steps forward the past several games, but this one was definitely 2 steps back.

Great win at Marquette. Now please get healthy UCONN!!
About Edwards, I think the couching team ought to instill some mental encouragement to calm her down so not to be agitated and stay FOCUS.

Reactions: mmt

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • With a BIG “grind it out” win at Marquette today, UConn has navigated the toughest part of their schedule, facing all the top tier BE teams along with TN over the past few weeks. With very little time off, while dealing with multiple injuries to key players, the Huskies will be a stronger team for it in March.
  • Marquette really worked to clog the lane, doing everything they could to keep UConn’s Bigs from taking over as they did vs DePaul. UConn stayed in the game in the first half only by hitting 50% from the arc on 6/12 shooting.
  • In the 2nd half Azzi took over on offense, with some help from her friends. Dorka, Christyn, Nika and Evina turned up the heat on D and UConn pulled away in the 4th qtr.
  • Once again, UConn appears to be plagued by missed layups. Some were tough shots with the off hand. Some were bunnies. But they were all shots you have to make in a tight game.
  • UConn now has the relative luxury of 5 days off to heal up and work through some things, finishing up the regular season with 5 straight home games. How the Huskies pull together all the pieces over the next few weeks will go a long way towards determining if there is a storybook ending for UConn WBB this season .
Actually oldude the next game is at Xavier, then there is 4 straight home games, Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's, and Providence..

Reaction Score
Just WOW!!!

In the last DePaul thread, I said that it might have been the most complete game this season, and one of the best games we played in a long while.

This game, that Q4 might have been the best Q4 of the season. Remember entering Q4 with the score close against several opponents, only to collapse? This was the opposite.

And it wasn't just Azzi Fudd scoring. It was the entire team. The defense was spectacular.
  • Westbrook with steals and some great moves on offense
  • Muhl absolutely harrassing whoever she was guarding everywhere on the floor
  • Fudd did not let the offensive player get past her, and her shooting was sensational
  • Juhaz - some great defense, and I thought there were a couple of fouls that should not have been called on her. And that 3 ball late - wow!
  • Christyn was just solid
I loved mixing up the defense in Q4. Instead of us getting worn down, only 5 core players went out and wore them down. On the negative side, Edwards had definitely taken 3 or 4 steps forward the past several games, but this one was definitely 2 steps back.

Great win at Marquette. Now please get healthy UCONN!!
I notice no mention of Edwards. She seemed too tired to play her game.

Reaction Score
If the team is shooting 50% from the floor it should be easy for a point guard to get 5 assists per game on this team. Especially if they are 10-20 from 3 and you don't shoot much yourself. It shouldn't be that hard to rack up assists when we are shooting 50% as a team. We still have huge room for improvement.

We are going to need it if we are to win the NC. No doubt what we are doing right now is not enough. We do have some very encouraging developments though with Azzi showing a total game ability at championship caliber. We shouldn't need her to have to play at that level but it helps so much that even she is capable of taking over a game in the 4th. Dorka is playing great team basketball. No one helps her teammates more than Dorka. CW and Evina are playing strong. The rest of 5 days should hopefully bring at least 1 player back.
Need this, need that....blahty, blahty.
She's a superstar! PB is a superstar! Stop biting your nails and wearing out the arms of your easy chair. Sit back and watch spectacular stuff you haven't ever seen before. This is going to be crazy. An 8-0 "Azzi" run to open up a game UConn could have lost a thousand different ways. Need this, need that....

Reaction Score
When I first started getting hooked on UCONN WBB, by my Sister in Law and her husband (Steve), I was watching a game that was very close in the first half... I made a comment about things not looking so good...certainly not the dominant UCONN basketball I had heard about. Steve said words to the effect of, "Just wait...it takes a few moments and Geno's system kicks in." I was reminded of line in the movie "Remember the Titans" when Coach Boone was explaining to the Defensive Coaches why the playbook was so skinny... something like "I run six plays, split veer, it's like novocaine, just give it time, always works." Today, the Huskies took a few minutes (quarters) to pull away from Marquette and the drive, desire and system kicked in like novocaine in the 4th quarter and the game was... as Paige was seen on video on the sidelines saying... "It's Ova"...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That was a really entertaining game. For 30 minutes, Marquette just kept hitting the shots they needed to, preventing uconn from creating any type of gap. I was just waiting for the run to come, but was pleasantly surprised at how big that run was.
I think you hit on something IRT "the gap". Past UConn teams that dominated, would go on a run and create a gap somewhere in the 1st half, which made the 2nd half way more difficult for the opponent. Now, that's assuming a full squad. And wonder if the expectation of a run was something the players kinda assumed would happened, and when games stayed close, some had never played that many games like that. I love that the team is showing patience, and when the door opens, they go on a scoring run. There's definitely some growth in learning this one.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Great game today with UConn staying in contention, and then unleashing a defensive tour de force in the 4th. Contributions from all today. Just wish I understood what has happened to AE. No injuries reported, but she just disappears in too many games. I had such high hopes for her this year.
I think she lost her cool and focus when she was arm locked with a MU player, and that player spun and IMHO threw her around and she went into another MU player and AE got called for the foul. Soon afterwards, there might have been some words between AE and another player, and maybe she just needed to refocus from the bench. Who knows.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually oldude the next game is at Xavier, then there is 4 straight home games, Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's, and Providence..
I stand corrected. Xavier came from behind to win at Providence today. But I got UConn +28 vs the 8-16 Musketeers, regardless of who suits up for the Huskies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Very well said. I took alot of grief from posters when I spoke so highly of Azzi. I knew about her as I know many AAU coaches who told me about her as well as my cousins who knew her and played with her. When I was told she plays alot like Maya Moore and she could be as good if not better then Paige I knew those compliments even if not true were good enough to know she was the real deal and a very special player. We now are beginning to see what everybody was talking about. Azzi is clutch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That was a really entertaining game. For 30 minutes, Marquette just kept hitting the shots they needed to, preventing uconn from creating any type of gap. I was just waiting for the run to come, but was pleasantly surprised at how big that run was.

A great bounce back game for Fudd, and another great showing from Dorka. I was especially impressed by Dorka's defensive presence. I'm really excited by the idea of these two players continuing to build confidence and consistency.

Solid road win for the huskies. Next game isn't until Friday, which gives us some needed rest and practice time. Hopefully we'll have another player back for that matchup.

30 minutes of tension, followed by 10 minutes of fun! :D

Reaction Score
Very well said. I took alot of grief from posters when I spoke so highly of Azzi. I knew about her as I know many AAU coaches who told me about her as well as my cousins who knew her and played with her. When I was told she plays alot like Maya Moore and she could be as good if not better then Paige I knew those compliments even if not true were good enough to know she was the real deal and a very special player. We now are beginning to see what everybody was talking about. Azzi is clutch.
100%
Why did you take grief? Because many BY'ers don't know what they're looking at.
The BY had thread after thread about Azzi becoming a Husky. What, middle school years? Why would the BY be surprised? I'm lost on that one. Like a bunch of volcanologists being surprised that eventually Vesuvius was going to erupt and bury you.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
About Edwards, I think the couching team ought to instill some mental encouragement to calm her down so not to be agitated and stay FOCUS.
Freudian slip, are you referring to the BY "coaches".

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
When the season is over and IF we get healthy this could be Genos greatest coaching job of any coach ever. It is truly unbelievable what UConn has gone through this season.
Yes. I'm thinking the ESPY's Coach of the Year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another very good team win. The game was very watchable with the first three quarters being especially intense and close.

The fact that everyone on the team who played contributed significantly in the victory was especially noteworthy. Azzi had the best game overall with a team high 24 pts followed closely behind by Dorka with 21 pts. In addition, Evina provided 15 pts. All three players were very efficient in their shooting including 3’s. Christyn was solid with 10 pts. Aliayah lead the team with 7 rb while Nika had the most assists with 6.

Both offense and defense were good. The team was very good at shooting 3’s (10-20) and had only 6 turnovers.

UConn is getting better and more consistent which bodes well for the tournament.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I can only wait until I watch this quadruple header this week:
at DePaul
at Creighton
DePaul at home
at Marquette

3 of the 4 other BE top teams. And I may add the TN game just because...

Very cool game today, a nail biter through 3 quarters and then WOW!!!

Reaction Score
Real nice game all around. Love how the team finishes "stronger" rather than "hold on for dear life."

Love how Fudd isn't just a 3pt shooter. Isn't just a perimeter jump shooter. She can get in the lane and finish. And, man, is she strong. Looking forward to her getting stronger over the years.

And just like Paige - incredible understanding of what she is doing.

Reaction Score
Hate the reality stuff after a great 4th quarter, but Olivia's injury is concerning. If, in fact, it is a groin strain, they can really be problematic, slow healers, and limit movement more than most injuries. Pretty clear that Marquette took advantage in the paint. Olivia will be badly needed down the stretch, and she needs to be 100%. Fortunate that the coming schedule will give her plenty of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom