Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
And use a screen properly. There are so many illegal screens called against every team I watch because nobody rubs off the screen or they move before it's set which makes the screener lean into the defender. A screen is not worth the dust on a dragon's butt if you don't use it properly.
Wonders how much his jar of dragon butt dust is worth?

Reaction Score
Great game to watch, even better ending. I didn't expect how easily we would handle DePaul and didn't expect how well we would close out this game.

In the Badass of the Game thread I pushed, not being able to pick one over the other between Azzi and Dorka. Both were critical to the win. This does not mean I think Dorka is as good a basketball player as Azzi, which she isn't. Dorka is good and I'm so glad we have her. Azzi is special; watching her during her UConn career will be a treat.

Admiral Lord Nelson gathered his fleet Captains before the Battle of Trafalgar. Knowing that in the smoke and confusion of a major fleet action even experienced Captains can lose their way, he advised that "No Captain can do very wrong if he place his ship alongside the enemy." With UConn this translates to if a possession is going badly or the other team is taking the initiative no player can go wrong by finding Azzi and getting her the ball. Or Paige when she returns.

Spoiler alert: the Brits decisively won the battle.

Reaction Score
But there were a couple of times they were talking about players or injuries or whatever, and not explaining a call or action on the court, and never got back to even mention it....
Explaining a call? Were there any referees before the fourth quarter?

The announcers did mention the UConn injuries but incorrectly reported that current number is three. They did not include Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Regarding Nelson's comment " No Captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside the enemy ", what that really means is that the captain's job is to put the team in a place where the team can engage effectively. The players play the game but the leader puts them in a position where they can play effectively. In the same battle, the signature move was they split the larger fleet by sailing directly into them. He did more than enabled his team to be effective by coming along side the enemy but his point is well taken.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And use a screen properly. There are so many illegal screens called against every team I watch because nobody rubs off the screen or they move before it's set which makes the screener lean into the defender. A screen is not worth the dust on a dragon's butt if you don't use it properly.
If you can find dust on a dragon's butt. I think that is pretty valuable.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • With a BIG “grind it out” win at Marquette today, UConn has navigated the toughest part of their schedule, facing all the top tier BE teams along with TN over the past few weeks. With very little time off, while dealing with multiple injuries to key players, the Huskies will be a stronger team for it in March.
  • Marquette really worked to clog the lane, doing everything they could to keep UConn’s Bigs from taking over as they did vs DePaul. UConn stayed in the game in the first half only by hitting 50% from the arc on 6/12 shooting.
  • In the 2nd half Azzi took over on offense, with some help from her friends. Dorka, Christyn, Nika and Evina turned up the heat on D and UConn pulled away in the 4th qtr.
  • Once again, UConn appears to be plagued by missed layups. Some were tough shots with the off hand. Some were bunnies. But they were all shots you have to make in a tight game.
  • UConn now has the relative luxury of 5 days off to heal up and work through some things, finishing up the regular season with 5 straight home games. How the Huskies pull together all the pieces over the next few weeks will go a long way towards determining if there is a storybook ending for UConn WBB this season .

We are playing Marquette again on the 23rd at the XL. It's a make up game for the Dec 29th postponement.

Reaction Score
We are playing Marquette again on the 23rd at the XL. It's a make up game for the Dec 29th postponement.
So we lost five games and will make up two, leaving us three short? Is that accurate?

Reaction Score
If you can find dust on a dragon's butt. I think that is pretty valuable.
That's if you believe there are dragons. I do not. Therefore, no dragons, no dust, worthless. As worthless as screens that are not used properly. If you follow my logic.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts:
*What a 4th quarter...the defense was amazing and for offense Azzi (10 points), Dorka (7 points) and E took care of business.
*towards the end of the 2nd quarter Azzi looked tired (having her hands on her knees) but in the second half she was magical! Her basketball iq is off the charts!
*DJ is the most skilled big of UConn and a very smart player. She is doing much better job in holding to the ball (she had issues with it a big part of the season, probably because of her hand injury).
*E was great! This is the E we all want to see. She comes from the bench and actually changes the game. It is wonderful to see her showing emotion.
*Nika was a daemon on defense especially in the second half where the PG of Marquette will have some nightmare from Nika. By the way, there was a steal where Dorka was a head of the field and Nika had the ball but instead of passing to Dorka, slowed down and waited for the rest of the team which i thought was the right basketball play as she avoided a possible turnover.
*EW shot was off but she worked hard and was real good on defense.
*AE works hard and there is no question for her effort but what's up with continuing to miss bunnies every game...
*Love how involved the bench (led by Paige) is involved in the game!
*Hopefully the few days till the next game get us back CD and/or ONO for the next game.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
But there were a couple of times they were talking about players or injuries or whatever, and not explaining a call or action on the court, and never got back to even mention it....
I personally don't mind those. I don't need every call or action called especially if they're not significant (e.g. highlight play, foul leading into foul trouble, cool stat after a play is made, etc). Unless of course I'm tuning in on the radio, then I'm going to need those play-by-plays to be spot on every play.

Reaction Score
selfishly we better hope she doesn't play too great or she'll be off to the WNBA or Europe or both after this season.....,I'd like her back next year to help the younger posts.......;)
Great game to watch, even better ending. I didn't expect how easily we would handle DePaul and didn't expect how well we would close out this game.

In the Badass of the Game thread I pushed, not being able to pick one over the other between Azzi and Dorka. Both were critical to the win. This does not mean I think Dorka is as good a basketball player as Azzi, which she isn't. Dorka is good and I'm so glad we have her. Azzi is special; watching her during her UConn career will be a treat.

Admiral Lord Nelson gathered his fleet Captains before the Battle of Trafalgar. Knowing that in the smoke and confusion of a major fleet action even experienced Captains can lose their way, he advised that "No Captain can do very wrong if he place his ship alongside the enemy." With UConn this translates to if a possession is going badly or the other team is taking the initiative no player can go wrong by finding Azzi and getting her the ball. Or Paige when she returns.

Spoiler alert: the Brits decisively won the battle.
Nelson’s dying words: “Thank God, I have done my duty.”

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If that's Nika you need an emoji that actually goes through the wall not bounce off of it.:rolleyes:
Muhl_wall_buster.jpg

Reaction Score
Nice avatar.

Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been previously posted. On the missed layups I think Evina showed everyone one option when down low. She knew the defender was trailing her by a step, with momentum, then froze (didn’t walk), allowing the defender to pass her and then laid it up for two, and one. You don’t always have to put it up right away. A pump fake will do wonders, just remember to keep those feet planted.

Reaction Score
When the season is over and IF we get healthy this could be Genos greatest coaching job of any coach ever. It is truly unbelievable what UConn has gone through this season.
I think that Geno is rediscovering the joy (and frustration) of coaching. For many years, all he had to do was recruit, and throw 5 tremendous players on the court. The only questionable thing was how much they would win by. Now, they are evaluating and changing things up on the fly, as seen in the 4th quarter against Marquette.

Reaction Score
Win or lose, the fight and energy hat these Players play with has been the most impressive thing to see all season. High minutes per game, little to no rest in between games along with the demand to play UCONN brand of basketball, regardless of the setbacks they have been faced with. Its a helluva feat and something that goes under appreciated.

Geno is going to have many options once he gets a healthy roster. We shouldn't have anyone forced to play high minutes which means, healthy and fresh legs. We should be able to extend our full court pressure and generate some easy points. Teams will definitely have to prepare for nine solid players and all the multiple rotations we could possibly use.

So glad to be getting good competition in the Big East. I feel so much has been gained by having tight competitive games. Now if we could just get a whole group to experience this together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom