Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
This is our ceiling folks……one win in the BET

Anyone confident about next week??

The ceiling for the 2014 team was two wins in the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
He needed to call that timeout, that’s all. The move to zone was smart and successful. Even when the clock got to 5 and Newton couldn’t get anywhere, call a timeout and draw up a play. That is the stuff that he needs to fix, he tends to be an observer sometimes.
I don’t know??? Did they have a time out?

caw

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how to describe what Jackson did tonight, but it looked like he never had played defense it his life. He can’t take himself out of games like this

I said before I didn’t want him on Kolek, it’s not a good matchup for Jackson.

Reaction Score
Luck was the Hawkins three. Their threes were mostly wide open shots that hit nothing but the bottom of the net. Hawkins was not on his man for one of those very easy threes.
Huh? That shot at the end of the shot clock with 2 players in his face like a zillion feet from the basket....that was luck

Reaction Score
Yesterday didn’t happen? Those weren’t bright lights? The atmosphere was insane. And we played probably our best minutes of the season while hitting huge shots to close it out. Shots just didn’t fall when we needed them to. That Kam Johnson prayer was amazing coaching by Smart. And Hurley is an idiot for drawing up plays that got his best shooters WIDE open looks in the last 3 minutes, a raging idiot. Right?
Not even close to accurate, but it requires critical thinking. At the minimum, the last possession was botched so badly it’s unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Poor free throw shooting also. DH why no timeout the end? Too many minutes for hawk and AJ. And changed to Zone way too late
It’s crazy because UConn Twitter complaining about the zone. The zone got us back in it. They couldn’t hit anything with Donovan in the paint. They hit a three when we put Hawk and Adama back in.

Reaction Score
You’re nuts. Why was Hawk on the floor down the stretch when he was stone cold and disengaged? Why wasn’t Clingan on the floor when he made a huge difference and shut them down? Why wasn’t Allyne, who was hot, not on the floor? Why no TO? Why playing for 3 instead of 2 when 99% of coaching days drive the lane? Yes, they got 2 good looks and missed. The last was atrocious and that last look mattered. You call TO, put in Clingan, you drive or dish to Karaban or Allyne, and puns the boards. Hurley is no clutch HC. Never has been.
Why was our best player in the game at the end of the game?

This is the dumbest collection of humans on the internet. And you’re the president.

Reaction Score
Nope, he was cutting and using screens but you don’t think Shaka knows he’s one of the country’s best shooter? That was their defense on him

Everyone’s defense as of late not just Shaka? 12 for last 43. He’s just not making shots quite sure he dropped a few pegs with the next level.

Reaction Score
Huh? That shot at the end of the shot clock with 2 players in his face like a zillion feet from the basket....that was luck
Not sure what play? The guy who shot from almost half court was wide open and he had to put it up and he certainly was capable and proved it with nothing but net. That was not luck, just a guy who put up a pretty shot.

Reaction Score
Two complaints- 1) If you’ve got a team that’s notoriously bad in end of game situations, why don’t you take the TO to get things organized? 2) What was going on with all the miscommunication on perimeter defense? Ton of wide open corner threes when one guy was caught trying to cover two shooters.
That’s what bugged me the most. Marquette, hats off to them, their offense is really good. They outplayed UConn’s D on many possessions, which sucks, but I can accept it. It is the mental breakdowns on D where two guys are going to one player and leaving a player wide open for 3 that had me pulling my hair out

Reaction Score
That is the worst shooting game we are going to see from Hawkins. 1-8 from three. And if he was shooting a little better tonight it would have been 0-8 bc he doesn’t get the bank on the first shot (which was off by a country mile).

You gotta pull for him to just move on and put it behind him.

Reaction Score
example of hurley being a bad coach is his use of the 2-3...not that he used it, it actually WORKED with clingan in middle- its the fact how much did we use it all yr? 5 minutes? how can you not try it during yr, if you might use it in most important game of yr?....

or try the 2 bigs together in a 2-3- battle test it during the season....nope, same man hedge screen crap every game...

or if youre gonna have joey c in there to take 2 big 3's in closing minutes, explain how he didnt warrant a minute against seton hall?

just underutilization of clingan, & refusal to put him on block (psst hes 7-2, post him up danny)

great recruiter, mediocre bench coach

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Nobody here is content with mediocrity. That's why I want more out of your posts. Gotta get some new material with your hate, it's always the same 5 cliches repeated over and over
It’s not hate. It hasn’t been since I started posting in 2009. I love watching the team and the university. I’m just not going to lie to myself with some moral victory thought

It gets repeated because it doesn’t get fixed. We have the same conversations after every loss, every year.

There was changes this year after our horrid slide and that was great, but you get judged by your wins and loss. We have nothing to show for 5 years.

Why did Diarra play when every game he was out we were rolling? He’s been bad. Why did Clingan play 4 minutes in the first half? He only played 6 in the second half and he changed the game. Then he never came back in and we looked lost. That’s coaching. Our defense let let shoot almost 50% from the floor and 40% from three.

Missing free throws and open shots aren’t on the coach.

I’ve never seen you and some other posters, ever have one criticism of Hurley’s in game coaching. Ever.

Reaction Score
Not even close to accurate, but it requires critical thinking. At the minimum, the last possession was botched so badly it’s unbelievable.
More than accurate. FACT

Reaction Score
Calhoun himself said he had to treat different players differently. Some you could scream at and some you couldn’t. None of us has any idea how Hawkins would react to a JC type tirade.
Man I agree with you! Just sometimes you have to mix it up. He seemed tentative often (until the end of the game). Just think the killer instinct has to develop with him. Too soft at times.

Reaction Score
Everyone still out here for moral victories when we were the favorites coming in. Nothing to show for it.
You love piling on Hurley no matter what, we lost by 2 points in a game where our first round pick couldn’t make a shot…and our other two shooters couldn’t get it going. I know you hate Hurley but be objective a little bit about where the fault lies.

Reaction Score
It’s not hate. It hasn’t been since I started posting in 2009. I love watching the team and the university. I’m just not going to lie to myself with some moral victory thought

It gets repeated because it doesn’t get fixed. We have the same conversations after every loss, every year.

There was changes this year after our horrid slide and that was great, but you get judged by your wins and loss. We have nothing to show for 5 years.

Why did Diarra play when every game he was out we were rolling? He’s been bad. Why did Clingan play 4 minutes in the first half? He only played 6 in the second half and he changed the game. Then he never came back in and we looked lost. That’s coaching. Our defense let let shoot almost 50% from the floor and 40% from three.

Missing free throws and open shots aren’t on the coach
Fair enough, I look forward to all your positive posts coming up over the next few weeks starting on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom