Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I’m not sure how to describe what Jackson did tonight, but it looked like he never had played defense it his life. He can’t take himself out of games like this
We saw 25 minutes of a potential legend in the making yesterday. But these last 50 mins have been pretty atrocious. Wish his floor was somewhere in the middle...but when he's bad it's brutal.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Horrendous execution down the stretch again, it's a terrible pattern ever since Hurley took over. No points our last 5 possessions and we weren't even close on them. Can't have total no shows from Hawkins and Jackson like that.

Congrats to Marquette, they earned it.
We were close on some of them. A couple of open looks missed. Marquette had a little to do with problems in execution. They are a good team. So are we. Hawkins and Jackson were terrible. And we lost by two. BTW Hawkins only 3 was banked in. Basically an air ball.

Frankly, while the loss didn’t help, it certainly shouldn’t knock the seeding down. Winning the BE tournament is a big deal for teams on the NCAAs bubble or outside altogether. Not so much for a highly rated team losing in a semi final to a higher rated team.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Joplin was so open on three of his 3s that he could have shot two threes in the time it took to close on him

Reaction Score
Couple observations:

-Hawkins and AJ contributed nothing on the offensive end. They give us half the production from the PC game we win this game easily.
-FTs: Clingan, AJ and Newton all missed FTs in what turned out to be a two point game. Now we know why people stress the importance of FTs.
-Newton got mauled all game. He should have been to the line way more than he was. Newton clearly was upset at some of the no-calls and I think it hindered his game all night long.
-Joey C had some good lucks but couldn’t get them to fall. Early in the season I thought we had ourselves a shooter but he’s definitely streaky. We need a three, Karaban is the guy.

I think the loss is a blessing though. We were not coming into this game, maybe we needed to be brought down to earth before the real tourney begins.

Reaction Score
I was hoping that at least once Hurley would pull a Calhoun and get in Hawkins face and challenge him. Stop coddling all the time. At least once, challenge him to step up and be fierce!

That’s the biggest thing I miss about having a coach like Calhoun.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Let’s not get hasty. @UConnSwag11 knows CBB very well.

He just enjoys poking at the negatives because no one else will. I respect it.

He’s just usually wrong. ;)
yup. You guys completely ignore the positives I post buts that’s fine. Haven’t been too many over the last 5 years but they’re there. We’ll be having this same conversation next year

Reaction Score
He shot a 3 because we were incapable of getting the ball inside the arc within 11 seconds.
Yes, again, some of the blame has to be on Newton, for not getting the offense started earlier; too often in the last couple minutes, we ended up with desperation shots, to beat the clock.

Reaction Score
Marquette never scored 1 more point for the last 3:45. We had great success going inside. Would’ve been nice in the last 4 to simply go inside. We took tough shots. Good shots but tough. Not sure Joey c is the guy to take multiple big shots is the way to go

Reaction Score
Nope, he was cutting and using screens but you don’t think Shaka knows he’s one of the country’s best shooter? That was their defense on him.
Yes and no. He kind of ran himself ragged to start the game and by the end he was just sitting around for large portions of the possessions.

Reaction Score
No, that's just how he is. He's always smiling while playing and smiling and laughing off the court, it's his personality. His scoring numbers were really bad and he got lost on D some but he was the only guy driving and seeking out contact. He also passed very well.
I’m with you. I watch basketball rather than trying to analyze body language. Tristan played hard today. And in fairness to him, he was fouled on the vast majority of his misses and culdn’t get calls.

Reaction Score
If we make it out of week 1 it will be a pleasant surprise. Coach hasn’t shown the ability to get his guys to show up when the bright lights get even brighter.
Yesterday didn’t happen? Those weren’t bright lights? The atmosphere was insane. And we played probably our best minutes of the season while hitting huge shots to close it out. Shots just didn’t fall when we needed them to. That Kam Johnson prayer was amazing coaching by Smart. And Hurley is an idiot for drawing up plays that got his best shooters WIDE open looks in the last 3 minutes, a raging idiot. Right?

Reaction Score
Random thought...horrible, horrible call toward the end when Karaban had the ball under the UConn basket and clearly got bumped out of bounds and it was ruled Marquette ball.
What was worse, that or the non-contact moving screen on Clingan? The 4th foul on Andre which was a bump on a guy driving? Like we saw a million times this game?

Reaction Score
You can't tell me that a few of those Marquette shots weren't what most people call luck...
Luck was the Hawkins three. Their threes were mostly wide open shots that hit nothing but the bottom of the net. Hawkins was not on his man for one of those very easy threes.

Reaction Score
Our ceiling in the tournament will be S16. Can't have F4 ambitions when Hawkins always has the chance to completely no show against some team. All our star championship guards balled out when it mattered most including Rip, BG, Kemba, Shabazz, Boat.
Well that’s positive thinking

Reaction Score
Agreed. This had zero to do with Hurley. Those players were put in a position to succeed . They didn’t.

Some of our fans deserve Kevin Ollie as their coach. We have improved every single year under Hurley and have a great class coming in next year but it's Hurley's fault Jackson and Hawkins do nothing in a two point loss to a top ten team.

Reaction Score
I was hoping that at least once Hurley would pull a Calhoun and get in Hawkins face and challenge him. Stop coddling all the time. At least once, challenge him to step up and be fierce!

I did see him yell at his own guys at some points which is quite the rarity.

Reaction Score

I mean, did you watch Hurley absolutely lose his poop at Adama and Newton?

This coddling fairytale that Hurley has with his players is ridiculous.

Just because he won’t publicly humiliate them 24/7?

Y’all are wild.

Reaction Score
If we were trading buckets back and forth and in rhythm down the stretch I'd agree. But we were lost the previous 4 possessions.

Call a timeout. Do your job and call a play. Give the guys some direction and put the loss on your play call or execution of the play
We had two open threes from a 44% 3pt shooter. What’s a better shot than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom