Market for a New Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Market for a New Coach

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hiring Shea wouldn't be the worst idea for the Lady Vols (although I'm not sure Tennessee would pull the trigger and I'm not sure that Shea would ever accept). But hiring Jen seems like a questionable decision. While she was successful at Hartford, she is struggling at George Washington.

The years under her predecessor Tsipis:

2012-13: 14-16 (7-7) Massey 141
2013-14: 23-11 (11-5) Massey 68
2014-15: 29-4 (15-1) Massey 24
2015-16: 26-7 (13-3) Massey 42

Her 2+ seasons there:

2016-17: 20-10 (13-3), Massey 97
2017-18: 19-14 (10-6), Massey 82
2018-19: 6-11 (3-1), Massey 196

Big caveat: note that Tsipis had Jonquel Jones for the last three years.

She obviously needs more time to get her players and implement her system fully, but the early returns are not impressive enough to warrant serious consideration from Tennessee.

At GW, Tsipis and his initial recruiting coordinator Megan Duffy did a good job of surrounding Jones with some very fundamentally solid and smart guards. And Duffy, a former All-American point guard herself, coached them up. Tsipis, of course, is trying to turn the U.S.S. Wisconsin around by rebuilding high school and AAU contacts in the Midwest, and Duffy, after a stint coaching Katelynn Flaherty at Michigan, is now in charge of her own show in Miami (Ohio).

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think Nikki Fargas has as much chance being named head coach of UT as Tyler Summitt, although LSU fans would be thrilled. Holly, TS and the very mediocre performance of Fargas has brought some reality to those fans who simply wanted to see the Pat Summit line continue.

Courtney Banghart is right where she belongs. There are some questions about her relating to non-Princeton type players, which is why she didn't get the USC job.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think he sees himself as more of an assistant coach right now. If he could just get onto Holly's staff, a lot of the problems plaguing the LV would be fixed.

Or so it goes...
I trust you are not serious on this. Coach Jumper has been banned by Holly from coaching any of her players during the off-season due to his very pointed criticism directed at her coaching. Before any player can work with personal trainers, they have to be approved by the school/coach and Coach Jumper, most assuredly is not.
I find some of the names bemusing and downright dumb.
Many on VolNation keep bringing up Gail G which is bizarre as she WAS HORRIBLE at Texas and what makes anyone think she would be better at Tenn. she has now been out of the networking game for 6 years as well.
Lindsey Gottlieb was also mentioned and her trend is spiraling down. Her resume is average at best and no way would I turn this over to someone whose record is regressing.
To me, Wes Moore at 61, seems too old for a move especially given what he’s building at NC State but he was an assistant at Tenn.

NONE of the Tenn former players who are now coaches have done anything to warrant getting this program and frankly, they need to find new blood/pedigree to advance this program into 2020’s. Pat’s philosophy was outdated 10 years ago.

I think it is great theatre to watch and something UConn can learn from. If, for example, Kara does reconsider coaching and takes the job and is successful, that might pave the way for Shea, Sue Bird or Diana Taurasi to come in. If she fails, then UConn would need to rethink a priority on experience in recruiting and D1 coaching.

Reaction Score
Lindsey Gottlieb was also mentioned and her trend is spiraling down. Her resume is average at best and no way would I turn this over to someone whose record is regressing.
To me, Wes Moore at 61, seems too old for a move especially given what he’s building at NC State but he was an assistant at Tenn.

Cal fans would LOVE to have another school hire Gottlieb away from them.

Reaction Score
Many on VolNation keep bringing up Gail G which is bizarre as she WAS HORRIBLE at Texas and what makes anyone think she would be better at Tenn. she has now been out of the networking game for 6 years as well.

GGs time at UT was complicated. But the story was that she wanted to keep Jody's assistants but the AD pressed her to clean house. In doing so, Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil - who was very popular with the TX HS coaches - was pissed off and poisoned her name in-state. A UT coach without local TX support is troubled from the start.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
GGs time at UT was complicated. But the story was that she wanted to keep Jody's assistants but the AD pressed her to clean house. In doing so, Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil - who was very popular with the TX HS coaches - was pissed off and poisoned her name in-state. A UT coach without local TX support is troubled from the start.
That (C D-W)is also what I heard through the folks I knew at the time. I didn't know (one way or the other) about what GG wanted to do with Jody's assistants.

This is what I was referring to earlier in the thread - it is always the coach that follows a legend that has some issues. Even Vivian when she came to Rutgers faced some opposition as TG (Grentz) was beloved by a lot of the fan base at Rutgers. Effects linger, and could have been worse if CVS wasn't a legend in her own right and quite successful in spite of the Grentzie effect, as a friend called it.

GG just couldn't match all the pieces together at Texas - i.e. pleasing the locals, be they HS coaches or even some of the fan base. Too bad, really, because I am one who thinks she was a really fine coach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think he sees himself as more of an assistant coach right now. If he could just get onto Holly's staff, a lot of the problems plaguing the LV would be fixed.

Or so it goes...
Not what I've read recently. He's ready to step in.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I trust you are not serious on this. Coach Jumper has been banned by Holly from coaching any of her players during the off-season due to his very pointed criticism directed at her coaching. Before any player can work with personal trainers, they have to be approved by the school/coach and Coach Jumper, most assuredly is not.

NONE of the Tenn former players who are now coaches have done anything to warrant getting this program and frankly, they need to find new blood/pedigree to advance this program into 2020’s. Pat’s philosophy was outdated 10 years ago.

I think it is great theatre to watch and something UConn can learn from. If, for example, Kara does reconsider coaching and takes the job and is successful, that might pave the way for Shea, Sue Bird or Diana Taurasi to come in. If she fails, then UConn would need to rethink a priority on experience in recruiting and D1 coaching.
Coach Jumper is one of the greatest sources of unintentional comedy on VolNation. The epitome of the delusional Vol fan. Constantly tooting his horn about how *he* is the coach who can restore the program to greatness. His byline is "I can be there tomorrow." If in fact he's telling the truth about mailing his lunatic "offers" of his services to the administration, I'm sure they already have restraining orders against him :D

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I was giving his pitch. Let's just say I have serious reservations about his ability to lead the LV back to greatness.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I recall GG stating something to the effect that it was much more difficult to recruit to Texas than it was to Duke. Guessing this was a big piece of that.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Not what I've read recently. He's ready to step in.

He's been ready to step in for years. He was full of all the answers during the DD years and was happy to tell everyone how he would run things. He is really full of it too. Maybe TN should give him a shot. It would be great to see the train wreck that would come out of that.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
One coach I forgot: Carolyn Krieger at Marquette.
She went to Marquette so she won't leave easily, but here's her record there:
9-22 / 14-16 / 25-8 / 24-10 / 16-3

Good call.
All five of her starters are currently 1,000 pt scorers (only other team, I believe, like that currently is ND).
She's bringing in a huge class of recruits (8!) next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I recall GG stating something to the effect that it was much more difficult to recruit to Texas than it was to Duke. Guessing this was a big piece of that.
It’s harder for someone from the North to recruit in the South and Gail isn’t exactly noted for her warm and easygoing personality. No knock on her, but she’s as brash and in your face as many other Northerners can be. This is especially difficult after stepping in for the famously warm and charismatic Jody Conradt.

Reaction Score
He's been ready to step in for years. He was full of all the answers during the DD years and was happy to tell everyone how he would run things. He is really full of it too. Maybe TN should give him a shot. It would be great to see the train wreck that would come out of that.
You do realize you guys are talking about severely egomaniacal internet nut case with delusions of grandeur.

Don’t know what goes on in Tennessee, but he could not get a job as an assistant HS coach here.

There is not a single school system in the State of Connecticut that would go anywhere near him. Shouldn’t even make it to an interview.

Seriously.

Reaction Score
Suppose a school (perhaps in orange or royal blue) were looking for a new high-profile HC. Who would be the viable candidates?

I exclude Geno, Tara, Muffet, Blair -- too late for a change.

• Jeff Walz. He's got a good thing at Louisville and has deep Kentucky roots, so not easy to pry him away. But I also could see him going for a new challenge.
  • Scott Rueck. Young. Impressive record. Been in Oregon his whole life though.
  • Vic Schaefer. A good fit at Miss St, and he's built a fanbase. Plus at 57 getting up there. Still no doubt a dynamite coach.
  • Kim Mulkey. A good fit in Texas, but don't know if she's as tied to her school as others. Dont see her fitting in at Duke, and not a fan favorite in Knoxville, but could see her moving if the offer were right.
  • Dawn Staley. With the recruits coming in, tough to go anywhere. Additionally the National team duties might increase the desire for a more normal routine and not the effort required to build up a new program. Still I could see her tempted by the history & prestige of Knoxville.
  • Wes Moore. Not sure if he's flashy enough. And at 61 a bit on the older side.
  • Brenda Frese. Good situation at MD and in the BiG. Plus her kids' medical issues means she's likely developed key doctor relationships ... and at elite hospital Johns Hopkins no less.

Others:
Kim Barnes Arico. Saw her name mentioned somewhere. Dunno. Good coach, but hasn't blown the doors off at Michigan.
Jennie Baranczyk (Drake). Definitely on the rise, but ready for this big a leap?
Niele Ivey. Think she's staying put until MM retires.
Shea Ralph. Ditto.
Courtney Banghart. Hot a few years ago, but some the luster might be gone. Still, Princeton -> Duke is a good educational fit.
Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. She certainly has UCF going in the right direction. But probably too much of a risk to go to a top-level job. Definitely should attract attention from other P5 schools tho.
Not sure if you achieved your purpose. More of a list of top coaches with minimal chance of leaving current school that those that might migrate to new school.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. One person's prediction for UConn's next coach-Jen Rizzotti. Many forget her resume includes .600 win record as coach, Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, NCAA Champ, AP Player of Year, ex-WNBA, and many more. When you listen to Jen, her intensity and love for the game stand out. That's a lot of basketball cred to bring to recruiting.
For many of the same family reasons Jen stayed home in Conn for many years, predict Shea as the next CD. With a new baby, a $300K+ salary (CD's range) is a nice gig.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting thread. One person's prediction for UConn's next coach-Jen Rizzotti. Many forget her resume includes .600 win record as coach
If the Huskies lost 40% of their games as a UConn head coach, the fan base would be screaming for her head. That’s worse than Warlick record at Tenn

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. One person's prediction for UConn's next coach-Jen Rizzotti.

She has yet to succeed at GW. I hope she does, but until then you would have to be insane to even consider her for UConn.

Reaction Score
Jen IS succeeding at GW!! She’s averaging 20 wins there for an institution that is never at the highest level in any sport in another shaky league at least regarding WCBB. It’s a fairly interesting league in MCBB.
Insane, to consider Jen Rizzotti??? Her resume is SPECTACULAR!! How could it be better?
She put Hartford on the map. What the heck is Hartford? A commuter school? Like George Mason? You think Larranaga deserved a big job? Hell yes!
GW is a stop on the rail line to big time. No one wins at GW in anything. Red Auerbach?
Sounds like a bunch of consonants, vowel man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom