Market for a New Coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Market for a New Coach

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Jen IS succeeding at GW!! She’s averaging 20 wins there for an institution that is never at the highest level in any sport in another shaky league at least regarding WCBB. It’s a fairly interesting league in MCBB.
Insane, to consider Jen Rizzotti??? Her resume is SPECTACULAR!! How could it be better?
She put Hartford on the map. What the heck is Hartford? A commuter school? Like George Mason? You think Larranaga deserved a big job? Hell yes!
GW is a stop on the rail line to big time. No one wins at GW in anything. Red Auerbach?
Sounds like a bunch of consonants, vowel man.
See my post earlier in this thread. I used data: LINK

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jen IS succeeding at GW!! She’s averaging 20 wins there for an institution that is never at the highest level in any sport in another shaky league at least regarding WCBB. It’s a fairly interesting league in MCBB.
Insane, to consider Jen Rizzotti??? Her resume is SPECTACULAR!! How could it be better?
She put Hartford on the map. What the heck is Hartford? A commuter school? Like George Mason? You think Larranaga deserved a big job? Hell yes!
GW is a stop on the rail line to big time. No one wins at GW in anything. Red Auerbach?
Sounds like a bunch of consonants, vowel man.
Joe Tsipis was very successful at GW. Jen hardly inherited a team with the cupboard bare.

Amazing how Jen, with 20 wins a season and a 60% win rate is SPECTACULAR but if a Geno-coached team lets an opponent come within 20 points he’s lost his edge or it’s seen as a dramatic downturn for the team

Reaction Score
If the Huskies lost 40% of their games as a UConn head coach, the fan base would be screaming for her head. That’s worse than Warlick record at Tenn
Just unfair. Waaaay unfair.

How old was Jen when she landed the Hartford job ???? How often does that happen ???

Obviously there was something there.

The GW evals are just flat out unfair. You do not walk into a new neighborhod and just recruit. There are 100 different local “fiefdoms” to establish relationships with.
And DC is a tough patch of ground.

3rd year in a new house, neighborhood, and League.

She’s playing a good schedule and despite the record is 1 game out of the top of her league.

Look how loaded the front end of her schedule is.
3 of her losses this year were against NC State, Maryland, and Georgia Tech. And they held NC State close.

She knows what she’s doing.....40% losses and she probably only cares about a handful of them.

And Jen would have a longer rope than Holly here. And there’s NO WAY she’s losing 40% in the AAC.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just unfair. Waaaay unfair.

How old was Jen when she landed the Hartford job ???? How often does that happen ???

Obviously there was something there.

The GW evals are just flat out unfair. You do not walk into a new neighborhod and just recruit. There are 100 different local “fiefdoms” to establish relationships with.
And DC is a tough patch of ground.

3rd year in a new house, neighborhood, and League.

She’s playing a good schedule and despite the record is 1 game out of the top of her league.

Look how loaded the front end of her schedule is.
3 of her losses this year were against NC State, Maryland, and Georgia Tech. And they held NC State close.

She knows what she’s doing.....40% losses and she probably only cares about a handful of them.

And Jen would have a longer rope than Holly here. And there’s NO WAY she’s losing 40% in the AAC.
She inherited a team that went 26-7 and made it to the NCAA tourney. Not a rebuilding job
(PDF) - George Washington University Athletics

Reaction Score
Joe Tsipis was very successful at GW. Jen hardly inherited a team with the cupboard bare.

Amazing how Jen, with 20 wins a season and a 60% win rate is SPECTACULAR but if a Geno-coached team lets an opponent come within 20 points he’s lost his edge or it’s seen as a dramatic downturn for the team
I used spectacular as an adjective, describing Jen’s resume. I do not shy from that description for one second. She has the highest pedigree IMO.
Putting her in the right spot with all the attributes she has.....
Parallels to Coach K- played point guard for a legend, success in D1 programs in less than ideal situations, a bulldog, a champion

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She inherited a team that went 26-7 and made it to the NCAA tourney. Not a rebuilding job
Cupboard was definitely not bare, but GW had lost Jonquel Jones, who can be considered a generational talent, especially by mid-major standards.

But I do agree with the general theme that Jen's results so far at GW have been rather underwhelming. This year they looked downright horrible in the nonconference. They're the only team that Iona (now 1-18) has beaten, and they got crushed by 33 at South Florida.

On the brighter side, they did keep it close (69-61) against NC State and they've upset Dayton and VCU in conference, though I don't know whether these wins signal a turnaround or just the weakness of the A-10.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why is no one talking about Carla Berube at Tufts? She’s been to the Final Four Four Times, the D3 National Championship game twice, and is the USA Basketball U17 national team. She has a .793 winning percentage.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point.....I’m not counting what she inherited.

The clock starts after those players are gone.

She’s gonna start off every League season with 5,6 or more losses.....or potential losses by design.

By DESIGN

And you’re going to call that a black mark ???? You’re going to bring up the losses ???

UNFAIR

She’s building for tournament invites. She wants to win her league with good non conference schedule.

I think that’s obvious. In those cases throw out the records because you will see double digit losses in some years unless she runs her league sched. In that scenario there are such things as good losses.

May I suggest watching another in state school for a while— Quinnipac with Fabbri — and that’s MAAC...and perhaps you will rethink things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is no one talking about Carla Berube at Tufts?

Because we're talking about A list jobs. Hiring a D3 coach for a Top-10 job is crazy.

And no, Oregon St/Illinois were not even top-50 jobs when Rueck/Fahey were hired.

But absolutely would be a worthy risk at lower tier P5 or a high mid major. I also highly doubt Berube is interested.

Reaction Score

Not sure if you’re talking directly to me and my posts or to a point -of-view in the BY. Personally, margin of victory by this team is the furthest thing from my mind. Everything sports related that I do, watch, play, or coach has to do with reaching ones potential. That’s the quest.
I think it would be one of Geno’s greatest accomplishments to win a NC with this team. With a 6’2” center, limited bench, and a couple of unproven, youthful starters.
I think it is going to be a fun ride to see if Geno and the players can make the necessary adjustments for an NC to be a possibility. Newsflash: I don’t care about anything- travel, a hang-nail, 1000+ wins, whatever- they ain’t there yet- this year.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
You do realize you guys are talking about severely egomaniacal internet nut case with delusions of grandeur.

Don’t know what goes on in Tennessee, but he could not get a job as an assistant HS coach here.

There is not a single school system in the State of Connecticut that would go anywhere near him. Shouldn’t even make it to an interview.

Seriously.

I guess I should have made it more obvious. Yes - he's a total nut job with delusions of grandeur. I had to put him on ignore to be able to read any of the VolNations threads. What's really strange is that he looks to have a band of followers on that board who buy into his delusions and encourage him. They may be the same people who make those really cute tin foil hats that we hear so much about.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You do realize you guys are talking about severely egomaniacal internet nut case with delusions of grandeur.
I assumed. Exactly why I wouldn't mind him at TN if they ever get rid of Holly (which hopefully they won't do).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I guess I should have made it more obvious. Yes - he's a total nut job with delusions of grandeur. I had to put him on ignore to be able to read any of the VolNations threads. What's really strange is that he looks to have a band of followers on that board who buy into his delusions and encourage him. They may be the same people who make those really cute tin foil hats that we hear so much about.

All the more reason to make him the HC. He matches the fan base perfectly. :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I assumed. Exactly why I wouldn't mind him at TN if they ever get rid of Holly (which hopefully they won't do).
I'm with ya there, brother.

Off topic: I see you are approaching .500 with your likes versus posts. Keep putting in the work. :D

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Does anyone think Gail Goestenkors would be interested in the right opening? I mean her name was connected to the Ohio State opening when Fosters was let go. I would love to see her coaching again.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
could anybody see Rueck as a possible UConn coach down the line?
Yes. Next time there's thread about Geno's successor, when it gets to the part about hiring an outsider, I'll toss his name into the ring.

Naturally, he might not want the job. I wouldn't. Been there, done that (not in coaching).

Reaction Score
Any successful coach of a top major program would be crazy to leave it for Uconn. They would always be compared to Geno and even Geno would not be able to live up to that in todays WCBB climate.

Scott Rueck is a perfect example of what I am speaking off. Why would he leave a rising program that is just beginning to attract 5 star recruits for basically a lateral move. Leaving Oregon St now for Uconn would present no advantages to him. In fact he would be facing multiple disadvantages one of which I already mentioned. The only advantage would be if he was given a ton of money.

They type of out of program coaches that should be lured would be ones that would see Uconn as a step up opportunity and not just a lateral move. Now this would not necessarily exclude coaches from every major program, but just programs, like Oregon St, that already provide many of the advantages that Uconn would present to a coach. Not every really good coach is at a school that mirrors those same advantages.

The type of coach that should be from a mid major or below who has already shown the chops to create a successful program in a less than ideal environment. You can not ride the Uconn name for long once Geno is out of the picture. Certainly not as long as Holly has at Tenn.

The best scenario would be for them to come on as an assistant for a year or two with the promise of succeeding Geno. Unlike than were in the past, there are more good coaches now than positions open. Perhaps even the right retiring professional player. Of course if Geno just retires abruptly that goes out the window.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Matthew Mitchell seems like someone who might want to move.

I'm not sure what lead to all the transfers, but he really weathered all that pretty well, all things considered.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There is a well know vagabond in coaching that has been in place since 2013 at the Ohio State.

But Ohio State IS his DREAM job....just like Washington was....and I'd imagine Xavier was before that.....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll start that campaign right now here in Columbus to send him to Knoxville Full-Time.

Reaction Score
Five pages and no one mentioned Matthew Mitchell? Has Kentucky successful again, from Pat's coaching tree (grad assistant), can recruit SEC areas.ops

Oops, Gamecockfan swept in while I was reading.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure if you’re talking directly to me and my posts or to a point -of-view in the BY. Personally, margin of victory by this team is the furthest thing from my mind. Everything sports related that I do, watch, play, or coach has to do with reaching ones potential. That’s the quest.
I think it would be one of Geno’s greatest accomplishments to win a NC with this team. With a 6’2” center, limited bench, and a couple of unproven, youthful starters.
I think it is going to be a fun ride to see if Geno and the players can make the necessary adjustments for an NC to be a possibility. Newsflash: I don’t care about anything- travel, a hang-nail, 1000+ wins, whatever- they ain’t there yet- this year.
I think the vast majority of this board is making the point to you that Jen is not or should not be considered a serious candidate for the UConn job when Geno retires unless she makes some serious runs within the NCAA Tournament. Her last few years at Hartford were mediocre at best, she went to a GW program that was the top Program in the A10 at a school that puts a lot of resources in it. She has not done a great job (yet). Also, her successor at Hartford has them baxk at the top.

Geno’s Coaching Tree for D1 is not good. Carla is by far the most successful but having her jump from D3 to UConn is extreme. To me, Shea is the current heir designate and if Marissa has lots of success at BU, she should also be considered.
As the point of this thread is really Tenn or another top program that needs a coach now, Genos successor is a moot point.

As noted, WCBB is in its “toddler” or “pre-teen” phase so other than UConn or Tenn, there are no other basketball powers/titans. Stanford, ND and Baylor are the 2nd tier, each with 2 NCs and coaches who are greatly respected. Some programs like Duke, LSU, Georgia, Purdue, Texas like to think they’re elite but they are not. Their the 3rd tier.

Up and coming programs are Ore St, SC, MSU and Louisville.

I don’t see any of these leaving their programs they built when they already make as much or more than Holly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Five pages and no one mentioned Matthew Mitchell? Has Kentucky successful again, from Pat's coaching tree (grad assistant), can recruit SEC areas.ops
Oops, Gamecockfan swept in while I was reading.
As long as we are going that route how about a former TN assistant who actually won a National Championship. Would Carolyn Peck work? Anyone?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom