Market for a New Coach | The Boneyard

Market for a New Coach

Reaction Score
Suppose a school (perhaps in orange or royal blue) were looking for a new high-profile HC. Who would be the viable candidates?

I exclude Geno, Tara, Muffet, Blair -- too late for a change.

• Jeff Walz. He's got a good thing at Louisville and has deep Kentucky roots, so not easy to pry him away. But I also could see him going for a new challenge.
  • Scott Rueck. Young. Impressive record. Been in Oregon his whole life though.
  • Vic Schaefer. A good fit at Miss St, and he's built a fanbase. Plus at 57 getting up there. Still no doubt a dynamite coach.
  • Kim Mulkey. A good fit in Texas, but don't know if she's as tied to her school as others. Dont see her fitting in at Duke, and not a fan favorite in Knoxville, but could see her moving if the offer were right.
  • Dawn Staley. With the recruits coming in, tough to go anywhere. Additionally the National team duties might increase the desire for a more normal routine and not the effort required to build up a new program. Still I could see her tempted by the history & prestige of Knoxville.
  • Wes Moore. Not sure if he's flashy enough. And at 61 a bit on the older side.
  • Brenda Frese. Good situation at MD and in the BiG. Plus her kids' medical issues means she's likely developed key doctor relationships ... and at elite hospital Johns Hopkins no less.

Others:
Kim Barnes Arico. Saw her name mentioned somewhere. Dunno. Good coach, but hasn't blown the doors off at Michigan.
Jennie Baranczyk (Drake). Definitely on the rise, but ready for this big a leap?
Niele Ivey. Think she's staying put until MM retires.
Shea Ralph. Ditto.
Courtney Banghart. Hot a few years ago, but some the luster might be gone. Still, Princeton -> Duke is a good educational fit.
Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. She certainly has UCF going in the right direction. But probably too much of a risk to go to a top-level job. Definitely should attract attention from other P5 schools tho.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Suppose a school (perhaps in orange or royal blue) were looking for a new high-profile HC. Who would be the viable candidates?

• Jeff Walz. He's got a good thing at Louisville and has deep Kentucky roots, so not easy to pry him away. But I also could see him going for a new challenge.
  • Vic Schaefer. A good fit at Miss St, and he's built a fanbase. Plus at 57 getting up there. Still no doubt a dynamite coach.
  • Kim Mulkey. A good fit in Texas, but don't know if she's as tied to her school as others. Dont see her fitting in at Duke, and not a fan favorite in Knoxville, but could see her moving if the offer were right.
  • Dawn Staley. With the recruits coming in, tough to go anywhere. Additionally the National team duties might increase the desire for a more normal routine and not the effort required to build up a new program. Still I could see her tempted by the history & prestige of Knoxville.
  • Brenda Frese. Good situation at MD and in the BiG. Plus her kids' medical issues means she's likely developed key doctor relationships ... and at elite hospital Johns Hopkins no less.

Others:
Kim Barnes Arico. Saw her name mentioned somewhere. Dunno. Good coach, but hasn't blown the doors off at Michigan.
Jennie Baranczyk (Drake). Definitely on the rise, but ready for this big a leap?
Niele Ivey. Think she's staying put until MM retires.
Shea Ralph. Ditto.
Courtney Banghart. Hot a few years ago, but some the luster might be gone. Still, Princeton -> Duke is a good educational fit.
Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. She certainly has UCF going in the right direction. But probably too much of a risk to go to a top-level job. Definitely should attract attention from other P5 schools tho.
What about the Gonzaga coach-Lisa Fortier she is an up and comer...

Reaction Score

True. But probably moreso for a Pac school or mid-level P5. You're not going to go from Gonzaga to Tenn, and probably not Duke either though at least Gz & Dk are both private schools.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I think Tennessee will go for Rueck. They seem to like to recruit people from Oregon. :D But there is still a contingent in Knoxville that wants (1) someone with connections to Lady Vols program and/or (2) a women.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would add current assistant coach Sharrona Reaves, Courtney Banghart and Kara Lawson.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Women's basketball is a dynastic sort of business and the idea a dynasty builder would up stakes to care take someone else's dynasty really is unlikely.
Geno - aint going anywhere and age isn't the issue
Tara, Muffet, Blair same thing.
And it is the same thing with Jeff who has created his dynasty (even without the NCs at Louisville), Kim at Baylor, Dawn at SC, Vic at MSU.

Not as sure about Brenda and Scott.

There have been very few really established coaches that have left one school for another - the most obvious being GG going from Duke to TX, but that was at a time when few coaches were getting paid and Duke was trying to get her cheap while TX was willing to double her compensation. (And it proved to be a terrible move for everyone!) At this point the successful P5 coaches are getting paid so they will not be bought unless someone goes freaky on money which in WCBB is not likely.

And anyone taking TN job is NOT getting their own program - WCBB is too young to have a long coaching tree at schools that have had icons. Texas is the only school I can think of where Jodi is 'ancient history' even if it is only 11 years - she was certainly a pioneer, but only two FF and a single NC 33 years ago doen't cast a long shadow.

Reaction Score
Nikki Fargas if they want to keep the orange bloodline rolling

Mulkey aint leaving Baylor. She has a great thing rolling there, paid well and is treated like a god in Waco w/ a lot of talent to pick from in that state.

Reaction Score
I would add current assistant coach Sharrona Reaves, Courtney Banghart and Kara Lawson.
I would love to see Kara get more into coaching. I know she’s done some 3-on-3 coaching, but I don’t know what other coaching experience she has. She’d be a monster guard coach. Her insights and analyses of plays (especially guard play) on ESPN is phenomenal and always well thought out. I think she might be a good fit at Tennessee with her ties to the program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kelly Jolley Harper. LV should bring back one of their favorite point guards.
She didn't do so well at NC State. I don't think she's highly regarded anymore.
She did make the NCAA at three different stops: Western Carolina, NC State and at Missouri State

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm really hoping that the University of Tennessee hires me to put together their short list of coaching candidates. (Are you listening, Philip Fulmer? "I can be there tomorrow" :) ).
  • Tyler Summitt. Okay, I know what y'all are thinking. What about that whole Louisiana Tech thing? Well, it's safe to say that Tyler's learned his lesson. Sometimes it takes getting burned to learn not to touch the hot stove. And he's the child prince of the Deity herself! What could go wrong?!
  • Heather Macy. Their seemed to be a minor misunderstanding at ECU regarding NCAA practice rules. But that won't be an issue at Tennessee because the players are so talented, they don't need to practice! Problem solved.
  • Phil Weston. Who's that, you say? Simply the best youth coach of all time:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I doubt we will ever see Rueck leave OSU. His alma mater and he is loved there. Why go to Tennessee, or anywhere else. Oregon is the "In" place in the Pac 12 WBB world.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is a well know vagabond in coaching that has been in place since 2013 at the Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping that the University of Tennessee hires me to put together their short list of coaching candidates. (Are you listening, Philip Fulmer? "I can be there tomorrow" :) ).
  • Tyler Summitt.

source.gif

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Coaches who have done more with less:

José Fernández
Doug Bruno
Quentin Hillsman
Tricia Fabbri

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Coaches who have done more with less:

José Fernández
Doug Bruno
Quentin Hillsman
Tricia Fabbri
Of course in @vowelguy's original post, 3 other coaches who have done more with less are Wes Moore, Vic Schaefer, and Scott Rueck.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ive never played the lottery.... but if I decide to play and hit the Powerball or the other one. Lets just say Duke WCBB will get a top tier coach... I'd be making it rain at those NCAA Final Four WCBB Coach's Conventions

money.gif

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I think some GU fans are still fairly salty about Graves leaving. They would be beside themselves if they had another coached plucked by a P5 school. Especially if it was a Pac 12 member. Many of them take a fairly dim view of the Pac 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom