Market for a New Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Market for a New Coach

Reaction Score
If I was Tennessee I’d go after.
1. Jeff Walz I doubt he’d take it. But I’d still offer Him the job.
2. Vic Schaefer Not sure He would take it either but would still offer Him the job.
3. Wes Moore
4. Kara Lawson

If I was Duke I’d go after.
1. Jennie Baranczyk
2. Courtney Banghart
3. Niele Ivey Now i hope she wouldn’t take the job. Since I’m an Irish fan. But if the first two turned it down I’d go after Niele.

ND may want Ivey to take an HC job for 3-5 years to get the experience she needs before coming back to ND...........of course if she fails as a HC that would be problematic

Reaction Score
ND may want Ivey to take an HC job for 3-5 years to get the experience she needs before coming back to ND......of course if she fails as a HC that would be problematic
I didn’t read through this entire thread, but didn’t Holly get an extension last year ????

i think it likely Fulmur would at least let her run out her contract with this latest recruiting class. They’re young, and it gives the next coach a little more separation from the Pat legacy, which is an impossible act to follow.

It’s the pressure on the AD that counts more than the pressure on the coach in these situations, and I don’t see the AD under the gun yet from the “right “ people yet to press the issue.

I know the State legislature got involved with the Lady Vol brand name, so somebody’s watching....but I don’t see anybody with the money or authority yet at the breaking point to force the issue.

For now..I think she quits before she’s fired.

Reaction Score
According to these responses, no one is ever going to change jobs.

I disagree.

Why, for example, might Rueck leave OrSt?
1) Pay. Rueck's base salary is ~100k/year less than Warlick's. I would bet ancillary pay (media, ads, etc) is higher at TN as well. And his performance is better! Also, Tenn is just starting to reap the $ benefit from the SEC network, so they will soon really be rolling in the dough.
2) Recruiting. How many great HS players live within 500 miles of Knoxville? Corvallis?

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope he doesnt go to TN (and honestly I'd be super surprised to see a male coach there), but all these coaches are not going to stay put their whole careers.
I can't see Coach Rueck leaving OSU for UT. With the recruits OSU has coming next year, and, the team that is coming back next year, OSU is a legitimate contender for the National Championship. And I believe OSU will get some quality guards/wings from the 2020 class. Rueck now has OSU as a destination for great players from all over the country. 9 years later, Rueck is close to to bringing OSU to the promise land.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
While many think Niele Ivey is the "Muffet successor in waiting," I'm not so sure of it (at this juncture. MM seems invigorated.). Ivey and Courtney Banghart, if you recall, were the finalists for the Vanderbilt job that Stef White ultimately won.

So, Niele will look for her first head-coaching job if she thinks it's a good fit. One reason that made her very focused on the right fit is her son, Jaylon, who grew up in South Bend and the ND campus.

Great post, but slight point of order. Her son's name is Jaden.

Worth remembering the name as he may yet end up playing for Notre Dame himself.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Great post, but slight point of order. Her son's name is Jaden.

Worth remembering the name as he may yet end up playing for Notre Dame himself.

Thanks. I knew that (duly corrected)....spent too much time bolding names.
If he ends up playing for ND and Mike Brey, it might be harder for mom to leave. On the other hand, the concept of Jaden playing for Purdue, who has also offered him, just seems so wrong considering his mom beat them for a NC in 2001! :) ;)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Haven't seen Coach Jumper's name yet.
I think he sees himself as more of an assistant coach right now. If he could just get onto Holly's staff, a lot of the problems plaguing the LV would be fixed.

Or so it goes...

Reaction Score
I can't see Coach Rueck leaving OSU for UT. With the recruits OSU has coming next year, and, the team that is coming back next year, OSU is a legitimate contender for the National Championship. And I believe OSU will get some quality guards/wings from the 2020 class. Rueck now has OSU as a destination for great players from all over the country. 9 years later, Rueck is close to to bringing OSU to the promise land.
This isn’t college football, so I can’t see any name who has established an upper echelon program moving.

I am sure there are plenty of Mid Major coaches that would jump at it —-but would a high profile program go that route ? Trish Fabbri at Q, I’d luv to see what she could do with the talent Tenn attracts.

Kara checks every box but the important previous coaching experience box - but I doubt anyone thinks she couldn’t do it - and she is smart enough to pick the right staff to fill in the blanks.

I am rooting that they take what I call the “Total Capitulation” approach —-

Offer Jen or Shea !!!! LOL

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
This isn’t college football, so I can’t see any name who has established an upper echelon program moving.

I am sure there are plenty of Mid Major coaches that would jump at it —-but would a high profile program go that route ? Trish Fabbri at Q, I’d luv to see what she could do with the talent Tenn attracts.

Kara checks every box but the important previous coaching experience box - but I doubt anyone thinks she couldn’t do it - and she is smart enough to pick the right staff to fill in the blanks.

I am rooting that they take what I call the “Total Capitulation” approach —-

Offer Jen or Shea !!!! LOL
Hiring Shea wouldn't be the worst idea for the Lady Vols (although I'm not sure Tennessee would pull the trigger and I'm not sure that Shea would ever accept). But hiring Jen seems like a questionable decision. While she was successful at Hartford, she is struggling at George Washington.

The years under her predecessor Tsipis:

2012-13: 14-16 (7-7) Massey 141
2013-14: 23-11 (11-5) Massey 68
2014-15: 29-4 (15-1) Massey 24
2015-16: 26-7 (13-3) Massey 42

Her 2+ seasons there:

2016-17: 20-10 (13-3), Massey 97
2017-18: 19-14 (10-6), Massey 82
2018-19: 6-11 (3-1), Massey 196

Big caveat: note that Tsipis had Jonquel Jones for the last three years.

She obviously needs more time to get her players and implement her system fully, but the early returns are not impressive enough to warrant serious consideration from Tennessee.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
He's a fan on Volnation who maintains that he could improve the LV and says he has contacted Holly about working one-on-one with some of the women, but she has declined his offers. His real goal is to be an assistant coach at the college level but says he's too old to go the traditional route of AAU coaching, etc. He calls himself Coach Jumper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok so I left out Lawson, Hammon, Meier.

Though I’m very skeptical Hammon has interest - she is on track to be a women’s pioneer as 1st female nba coach. Also skeptical on Kara. She calls games for her hometown Wizards and the key WCBb games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Considering it clearly isn't working out with Holly, I don't see Tennessee hiring another person with zero head coaching experience. Ralph and Ivey would be at the top of my wishlist. Problem is, both will likely leave once Muffet/Geno retire. Candidates I'd want for the position include:

1. Gail Goestenkors-I don't think she'd come back, but she was a heck of a coach at Duke and I think would have an easier time recruiting players to Tennessee than she did at Texas. Stellar recruiter and great at developing her teams. If her heart was in it, I think she could turn the program around.

2. Scott Rueck-another one I don't see happening. I get the feeling that OSU is his dream school and he's working to build a powerhouse in the PNW. He's also married with 3 kids, moving from Oregon to Tennessee would be a pretty drastic change in atmosphere.

3. Courtney Banghart-has excellent results at Princeton. Realistic option.

4. Lisa Fortier-young coach with great results so far. Only 37 years old. Very realistic option.

5. Jenny Baranczyk-another good coach in the mold of Fortier. Realistic option.

I personally wouldn't want Walz at Tennessee....he's a solid coach but everything about his performance at Louisville has been all over the place. So many conditional offers, transfers, volume recruiting, up and down results, etc. He's had some good moments in the sun but I don't think he'd be a great fit.

Staley would be a solid option but I see zero chance of her leaving Columbia. She's building a powerhouse there and had a massive class coming in.

Vic Schaefer I'd take in a heartbeat but no way it's happening. He just got a big pay day and is beloved in Starkville.

Kara Lawson would be a great choice for an assistant IMO, but no way is she a real candidate with no coaching experience. Hammon isn't leaving the men's game anytime soon and honestly doesn't have experience coaching in women's basketball.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hiring Shea wouldn't be the worst idea for the Lady Vols (although I'm not sure Tennessee would pull the trigger and I'm not sure that Shea would ever accept). But hiring Jen seems like a questionable decision. While she was successful at Hartford, she is struggling at George Washington.

Her 2+ seasons there:

She obviously needs more time to get her players and implement her system fully, but the early returns are not impressive enough to warrant serious consideration from Tennessee.

I'd be very interested in Shea if I was Tennessee, although going from Pat's handpicked predecessor to Geno's pupil likely wouldn't go over well with the fan base. To Shea's credit, I recall her saying some very nice things about Pat (something to the effect that she'd love her daughter to play for her) and I believe her mom has ties to Tennessee or Pat. Shea is also from NC so she'd be coming closer to where she grew up.

Jen had some good seasons at Hartford but her results haven't been all over the place. I don't think she'd be a candidate.

I do fear that Tennessee would target Nikki Fargas of LSU or Kellie Harper at Missouri State since they're alums. Fargas has had mediocre results at LSU (a traditionally strong program), and Harper has done quite well at mid-majors but didn't do well at NC State. I'd rather see her coach at a different P5 and find success at a higher level first before Tennessee hires her.

Reaction Score

Her 2+ seasons there:

Massey is meaningless to me.

It’s what you do with what you have to work with.

Recruiting - it takes time to build local and area relationships when you’re moving into new geography.

I think the recent w-l record reflects that.

I spend a decent amount of time in DC and am usually looking to find something to do when I’m down there after hours - perhaps I’ll take in a couple games.

I forgot to put the /sarc tag on my post....but Jen with the talent currently on the Tenn roster ? Watch out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anyone know what Melanie Balcomb is up to? Her last SEC stop resulted in better offensive efficiency and a National Championship for South Carolina.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No. Jodi is extremely well respected at Texas and had a fair influence in the current coach selection. The impact of any of these coaches is primarily on their immediate successor. In that respect, Jodi isn't a factor, but at least until recently she was often seen at UT games, and interviewed at times.
Certainly wasn't trying to knock Jodi, but unlike the next coach at TN or at Stanford or ND, or CT I don't get the sense they are competing against Jodi, they are simply the next TX coach and the fan base rates them based on their record, not as that record compares to a previous coach.

Reaction Score
Sue Semrau has taken her team to two Elite Eights, a Sweet 16, and a round of 32 in her last four seasons...and from a program without a huge WBB brand.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
If any of you guys/gals care to check out volnation, a poster there posted a tweet from a nashville radio sports host basically saying that holly warlick could be out as coach before the end of the season..

This is interesting because i cant imagine warlick stepping down BEFORE the end of the season no matter how bad things get

Last edited:

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
If any of you guys/gals care to check out volnation, a poster there posted a tweet from a nashville radio sports host basically saying that holly warlick could be out as coach before the end of the season..

This is interesting because i cant imagine warlick stepping down BEFORE the end of the season no matter how bad things get
I truly doubt the accuracy of that tweet. No inside information, but I don't think Holly quits before end of season and I don't think UT is in financial position to terminate her at this point.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I truly doubt the accuracy of that tweet. No inside information, but I don't think Holly quits before end of season and I don't think UT is in financial position to terminate her at this point.

I agree with you..its hard for me to believe that would happen

Reaction Score
Rizzotti? Haha, no. I love Jen, but she's not getting it done at GW (yet).

Yes on Semrau, had thought of her earlier but forgot to include her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom