Market for a New Coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Market for a New Coach

Reaction Score
I think the vast majority of this board is making the point to you that Jen is not or should not be considered a serious candidate for the UConn job when Geno retires unless she makes some serious runs within the NCAA Tournament. Her last few years at Hartford were mediocre at best, she went to a GW program that was the top Program in the A10 at a school that puts a lot of resources in it. She has not done a great job (yet). Also, her successor at Hartford has them baxk at the top.

Geno’s Coaching Tree for D1 is not good. Carla is by far the most successful but having her jump from D3 to UConn is extreme. To me, Shea is the current heir designate and if Marissa has lots of success at BU, she should also be considered.
As the point of this thread is really Tenn or another top program that needs a coach now, Genos successor is a moot point.

As noted, WCBB is in its “toddler” or “pre-teen” phase so other than UConn or Tenn, there are no other basketball powers/titans. Stanford, ND and Baylor are the 2nd tier, each with 2 NCs and coaches who are greatly respected. Some programs like Duke, LSU, Georgia, Purdue, Texas like to think they’re elite but they are not. Their the 3rd tier.

Up and coming programs are Ore St, SC, MSU and Louisville.

I don’t see any of these leaving their programs they built when they already make as much or more than Holly.
Super job! I benefitted greatly from the insight. I guess I have a thing for tough, feisty point guards.

Reaction Score
Hiring Shea wouldn't be the worst idea for the Lady Vols (although I'm not sure Tennessee would pull the trigger and I'm not sure that Shea would ever accept).

Thread on Volnation discussing the hiring of Shea as the next Tennessee head coach. While some think Shea would be the answer, most posts are absolutely opposed to anyone with UConn connections soiling the Tennessee reputation. Apparently they prefer to have their own wreck Tennessee's reputation.

Reaction Score
Why is no one talking about Carla Berube at Tufts? She’s been to the Final Four Four Times, the D3 National Championship game twice, and is the USA Basketball U17 national team. She has a .793 winning percentage.

I think if Carla wants to coach at the DI level her best bet is to take an assistant coaching job at a good program. A tenure with a DI program, combined with her DIII record and national coaching experience would make her an attractive candidate.

Reaction Score
Matthew Mitchell seems like someone who might want to move.

I'm not sure what lead to all the transfers, but he really weathered all that pretty well, all things considered.
He’s also got a couple of Vols as assistants. I don’t know the details, but I get the sense that there’s some history that has led a significant fraction of LV fans to be strongly opposed to Mitchell.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Every time I see the ESPNw Mid-Major Top Ten (and slightly beyond if you keep track of comings and goings), I think of this thread. In many instances, there are excellent coaches here, ranging from cagey veterans (Sue Guevara of Central Michigan, Quinnipiac's Tricia Fabbri) to relative HC newcomers (Miami of Ohio's Megan Duffy). At this stage in their careers, I don't know if Guevara or Fabbri will be going anywhere, but you never know. And Duffy could/should have a few more years in Oxford, Ohio (but she'll do well and then move).

I still maintain some of the programs we've discussed this year that are, ahem, slightly faltering could/should keep these coaches (agents) on their dial list.
- Tina Langley, Rice (with transfers Nancy Mulkey and Erica Ogwumike)
- Karl Smesko, Florida Gulf Coast
- Jennie Baranczyk, Drake
- Lisa Fortier, Gonzaga

South Dakota, Summit League lead way in espnW mid-major top 10

Reaction Score
Every time I see the ESPNw Mid-Major Top Ten (and slightly beyond if you keep track of comings and goings), I think of this thread. In many instances, there are excellent coaches here, ranging from cagey veterans (Sue Guevara of Central Michigan, Quinnipiac's Tricia Fabbri) to relative HC newcomers (Miami of Ohio's Megan Duffy). At this stage in their careers, I don't know if Guevara or Fabbri will be going anywhere, but you never know. And Duffy could/should have a few more years in Oxford, Ohio (but she'll do well and then move).

I still maintain some of the programs we've discussed this year that are, ahem, slightly faltering could/should keep these coaches (agents) on their dial list.
- Lisa Fortier, Gonzaga

Guevara had her shot in Ann Arbor. I doubt she'll get another.
Dont know anything about Langley, but the other 3 should definitely be on the list for open jobs.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a bunch of jobs have turned over in the last couple of years and there could be fewer openings this year.

Eg, is anyone in the PAC on the hot seat? Most of the bottom teams (CO, WA) have relatively new coaches.

Ditto BiG, where MN, WI, NE, IL are new; MD/RU/MchSt/IA are safe; Mich/Ind/Pur/NW arent terrible and unlikely to make a chg unless the AD has big plans. And Ohio St has done surprisingly well. (That just leaves Penn St).

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
CoachJumper!!! A lifetime of experience (just ask him) coaching 8th grade girls and he "can be there tomorrow!"
Sometimes I really think he must be a comedian trolling the LV board. :D

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart. Hot a few years ago, but some the luster might be gone. Still, Princeton -> Duke is a good educational fit.
I've met her. She's engaging in person. They could do worse.

Reaction Score

- Lisa Fortier, Gonzaga

Not getting why you added the part about transfers for Langley. Are you thinking they'd follow her to a new job?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will Tenn fans/administration require they hire a Female. They used to be part of the Old Girls network and would never hire a male for their Women's BB Program. Don't know if Fulmer (AD) has that philosophy. There would be a lot of pressure applied to hire a Female.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not getting why you added the part about transfers for Langley. Are you thinking they'd follow her to a new job?

Not necessarily. Those players have been brought up on the board in the past and I just wanted to put them together with the coach and program where they landed (however clunkily I did that :rolleyes:).

I think Langley has done a good job of pulling this roster together with high school recruiting and transfers. With her background at Maryland with Brenda Freese, I think she could fit into a P5 program pretty well if chooses to do so and/or if someone wants to give her a chance.

Reaction Score
A coach i think is a perfect candidate is Utah's Roberts. She turned around UOP and now Utah, She was very successful at places that didn't have past successes ,but I don't know if she would leave Utah and step into the meat grid'er that would be if she replaced a legend.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A coach i think is a perfect candidate is Utah's Roberts. She turned around UOP and now Utah, She was very successful at places that didn't have past successes ,but I don't know if she would leave Utah and step into the meat grid'er that would be if she replaced a legend.

If memory (and a cursory glance at her bio) serve correct, she's also a west coaster. Do you think she'd stay in the PAC area? Or would she be able to establish contacts in traditional eastern/southeastern areas while maintaining her western connections?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If memory (and a cursory glance at her bio) serve correct, she's also a west coaster. Do you think she'd stay in the PAC area? Or would she be able to establish contacts in traditional eastern/southeastern areas while maintaining her western connections?
I was looking at the threads today and saw “Dillon77” posting on “Market for a New Coach” right after a 3rd ND loss and I’m think “Oh boy, this could be something if a true loyalist is upset”, but alas not to be....:oops:

So while I have you, what is ailing this very talented, senior laden but underachieving group? Lack of good defense aside, they can and do outscore everyone. Is just lack of good decisions at times, turnovers? What?

Reaction Score
I think if Carla wants to coach at the DI level her best bet is to take an assistant coaching job at a good program. A tenure with a DI program, combined with her DIII record and national coaching experience would make her an attractive candidate.

She was an assistant at Providence College for 2 years under Jim Jabir, before Jabir resigned citing lack of institutional support.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Coaches who have done more with less:

José Fernández
Doug Bruno
Quentin Hillsman
Tricia Fabbri
You left off GENO---he did wonders with minimum's .. Only after successes did the good times roll.

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale was knocked for her present record at Okla. She started 4 freshmen and a sophomore vs Baylor tonight! Her record this year is based on a big freshmen class getting valuable experience!
Geno thinks the world of Sherri as a coach and human being! I value Geno's opinion!
She'll bounce back as her pups grow up!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom