March 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread [merged] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

March 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
MaxPreps' All-State teams from California. Interesting, but I don't think Clay Kallam realizes Brady committed.

1st Team:

Kiki Iriafen, Harvard-Westlake (Studio City)

6-2 | Junior | Post | Uncommitted

Everyone knew Harvard-Westlake was going to feed Kiki Iriafen, but keeping her from enjoying the meal wasn't that easy. Iriafen wound up with 23.5 points and 15.1 rebounds a game against one of the most difficult schedules in the country.

2nd Team:

Isuneh Brady, Cathedral Catholic (San Diego)
6-4 | Sophomore | Post | Uncommitted

Known by some as "Ice," and others as "Do I really have to guard her?" Averaged 20.3 points and 13.4 rebounds a game, and the 6-4 sophomore further confounded opponents by making 36 percent of her 67 three-point attempts.

Juju Watkins, Windward (Los Angeles)
6-0 | Freshman | Post | Uncommitted

Few freshmen make a quick adjustment to high school basketball, because after years of age-group club play, all of a sudden the opponents are three years older. The transition, though, was no problem for Watkins, who averaged well over 20 points a game and like her team, came on strong at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Sam landed on a depleted team and put up numbers out of necessity. Saylor will ease into the rotation. I like Saylor’s athleticism and versatility.
Sam was not very impressive in the games I saw. Poor shooting %, often poor shot selection, and was average at best re: rebounding and defense. I understand she was a freshman on a poor team but did not seem she had strong basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
Sam was not very impressive in the games I saw. Poor shooting %, often poor shot selection, and was average at best re: rebounding and defense. I understand she was a freshman on a poor team but did not seem she had strong basketball IQ.
i watched clips she is slow but she might be grow into a Kayla that will be great team player that makes everyone happy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
MaxPreps' All-State teams from California. Interesting, but I don't think Clay Kallam realizes Brady committed.

1st Team:

Kiki Iriafen, Harvard-Westlake (Studio City)

6-2 | Junior | Post | Uncommitted

Everyone knew Harvard-Westlake was going to feed Kiki Iriafen, but keeping her from enjoying the meal wasn't that easy. Iriafen wound up with 23.5 points and 15.1 rebounds a game against one of the most difficult schedules in the country.

2nd Team:

Isuneh Brady, Cathedral Catholic (San Diego)
6-4 | Sophomore | Post | Uncommitted

Known by some as "Ice," and others as "Do I really have to guard her?" Averaged 20.3 points and 13.4 rebounds a game, and the 6-4 sophomore further confounded opponents by making 36 percent of her 67 three-point attempts.

Juju Watkins, Windward (Los Angeles)
6-0 | Freshman | Post | Uncommitted

Few freshmen make a quick adjustment to high school basketball, because after years of age-group club play, all of a sudden the opponents are three years older. The transition, though, was no problem for Watkins, who averaged well over 20 points a game and like her team, came on strong at the end of the season.

Maybe Clay is one of those "purists" who holds to the notion that until the paper is signed these kids are uncommitted.

Reaction Score
Lol she is much better than kayla

Depends on which "Kayla" he is talking about. If he meant Kayla McBride of ND, Sam would be ecstatic to be as good as that Kayla.

Reaction Score
Poor shot selection and shooting percentages were staples for ND's offense this year. They had 5 new players to their system. I thought she rushed her shots early in the season and did take some ill-advised shots, but that's because no one knew what to do. My takeaways from her was the she can get hot and make big shots that most players dont want to take. She had some games early where she would struggle, but would make some really tough shots in the second half. I think she has a charisma and fearlessness that will propel her forward and be a really good player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lauren Betts | Grandview | 2022 | PBR #1 Nationally

Not to be taken lightly when we say amongst the truly ELITE of her class.. If size is a
Premium, what is skilled size? Betts is skilled size.. Over the course of the last year, she
has gotten really good.. Her FT jumper is smooth and crisp, she has gotten patient in the
post, and passes well out of inevitable double teams.. what stood out the most in this
game? She consistently sprinted the floor.. fantastic. As she adds strength to her frame
and to her core, watch out. Defensively, she just makes it so hard to score inside..
whether 1 on 1, or as she looms in rotation and help.

Reaction Score
Poor shot selection and shooting percentages were staples for ND's offense this year. They had 5 new players to their system. I thought she rushed her shots early in the season and did take some ill-advised shots, but that's because no one knew what to do. My takeaways from her was the she can get hot and make big shots that most players dont want to take. She had some games early where she would struggle, but would make some really tough shots in the second half. I think she has a charisma and fearlessness that will propel her forward and be a really good player.

she had some lousy games and some very good ones typical of a freshman who is immediately give a starting spot..........I don't think she's athletic enough to be ever be considered a superstar player but she certainly has the size, skills and desire to be a top 10-15 college player.......

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lauren Betts | Grandview | 2022 | PBR #1 Nationally

Not to be taken lightly when we say amongst the truly ELITE of her class.. If size is a
Premium, what is skilled size? Betts is skilled size.. Over the course of the last year, she
has gotten really good.. Her FT jumper is smooth and crisp, she has gotten patient in the
post, and passes well out of inevitable double teams.. what stood out the most in this
game? She consistently sprinted the floor.. fantastic. As she adds strength to her frame
and to her core, watch out. Defensively, she just makes it so hard to score inside..
whether 1 on 1, or as she looms in rotation and help.

She could be part of the front court of my UConn dreams.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
i watched clips she is slow but she might be grow into a Kayla that will be great team player that makes everyone happy.
The comparison of Kyla and Saylor begins and ends with their mothers were their high school basketball coaches. Apparently the recruiting services did not have your sage advice or your hearsay. ;):rolleyes: Saylor is already far beyond Kyla. Kyla made 2nd team all-state her senior year. Saylor has made 1st team all-state two times, her freshman and sophomore years. Kyla was not in ESPN's top 100 and ranked 16th at her position. While ESPN has Saylor ranked at 17 overall and 7th as a guard. Kyla Scout's grade was 90. Saylor's is 96. Prospect Nation ranks Saylor at #6 in the 2021 class only three places behind Amari Deberry. They gave her 5 stars. They have her as the 3rd best guard behind Saniya Rivers and some kid named Azzi Fudd. ASGR has Saylor ranked #7 overall. Blue Star has Saylor at #10 overall. As for USA Basketball:
As of May 28, 2019
USA Basketball Notes
  • Gold Medals: 2019 FIBA Americas U16 Championship.
  • As a member of the 2019 USA Basketball Women's U16 National Team, averaged 7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game to help the USA to a 6-0 record and gold medal June 16-22 in Puerto Aysen, Chile. (As a comparison: Amari Deberry averaged 5.3 points and 3.2 rebounds per game.)
  • Named to the 2019 USA Women’s U16 National Team on May 30; selected as one of 18 finalists for the team on May 27; announced as an invitee for trials on May 13.
High School Honors
  • 2018 and 2019 all-state first team.
  • 2019 Area and 2018 and 2019 Conference player of the year.
High School Notes
  • Has played two varsity seasons (freshman and sophomore) at Middletown High School in Maryland.
  • Has compiled career totals of 1,109 points, 597 rebounds, 207 assists, 137 steals and 149 blocked shots.
  • Lists career highs of 37 points vs. Thomas Johnson H.S.; 20 rebounds vs. Walkersville H.S.; seven assists four times; six steals five times; and 10 blocks vs. Brunswick H.S.
  • As a sophomore in 2018-19, started in all 28 games and averaged 21.0 ppg., 12.0 rpg., 3.2 apg., 2.4 spg. and 3.5 bpg. to help her team to a 25-3 record and the state title game.
  • As a freshman in 2017-18, started in all 25 games and averaged 21.0 ppg.,10.0 rpg., 4.0 apg., 2.6 spg. and 3.0 bpg. to help her team to a 22-3 record and the state regionals.
  • Played in the summer for Fairfax Stars U17 EYBL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul