March 17 Non-UConn games thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

March 17 Non-UConn games thread

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yesterday was decidedly not a good day to be a mid-major:
  • #7 Green Bay, the highest-seeded mid-major, got buried in a second-half Minnesota avalanche.
  • #8 South Dakota State lost in OT to Villanova.
  • #9 Dayton was not particularly competitive in losing to Marquette.
  • Ditto for #10 Northern Colorado and #11 Western Kentucky against Michigan and Oregon State, respectively.
  • And #12 Princeton and #13 Elon saw their upset hopes dashed.
But today has been a different story:
  • #9 Quinnipiac pulled away from Miami late.
  • #11 Central Michigan had a convincing win over LSU.
  • #11 Buffalo (conference rival to Central Michigan) dominated the second half against USF.
  • #12 Florida Gulf Coast led for almost the entire game in its win over Missouri.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I tell ya what, I said this about Creighton early in the season but I have to say it again: They have no superstars and not a ton of talent, but they play outstanding high-IQ team-first ball.

Megan Gustafson is getting plenty of hers, 20 points and 14 boards at end of 3Q, but Creighton is keeping everyone else in check. Kathleen Doyle is having a bit of a frustrating game and it's showing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Refs are getting whistle happy in Q3. Stanford up 11, GU going to the FT line after the media TO.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford FT shooting is terrible like it's been all year. GU hardly missing any, refs sending them to the line every possession this quarter. 56-48.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
3 straight 3's by Stanford stretches it back out to 65-48.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford 10-19 behind the arc. Gotta be one of their better shooting performances of the season. GU only 2-9.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Iowa getting totally outplayed by Creighton, but score is only 64-59. A really junky game. Fouls, turnovers, airballs, poor offense.

Reaction Score
Iowa getting totally outplayed by Creighton, but score is only 64-59. A really junky game. Fouls, turnovers, airballs, poor offense.

Iowa is like the epitome of what Geno talks about when he talks about some of these teams from Power leagues not being that as good as they claim.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I tell ya what, I said this about Creighton early in the season but I have to say it again: They have no superstars and not a ton of talent, but they play outstanding high-IQ team-first ball.

Megan Gustafson is getting plenty of hers, 20 points and 14 boards at end of 3Q, but Creighton is keeping everyone else in check. Kathleen Doyle is having a bit of a frustrating game and it's showing.
I have to tip my cap to you on this as I was one of the naysayers on Creighton with their 18-12 record, and while I am not a fan of the Big10 this year, Iowa did deserve a good bid and this Creighton team is doing a really nice job as this game comes down to the wire...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not really sure the stats bear this out. Creighton only has 7 turnovers for the entire game. Iowa's 14 turnovers isn't a great number but not considered extremely high. Each team has committed 15 fouls, not terribly high either. Both teams have a shooting percentage in the mid-40s, which isn't horrible either.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford leading 72-58, 4 1/2 minutes left. Barta has 21 but they've made it tough for her. Not enough help from the rest of the Zags. Smith has 19 for Stanford, 16 for Williams. McPhee w/ a poor shooting game but has 11 pts 10 rebs and 6 assists.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not really sure the stats bear this out. Creighton only has 7 turnovers for the entire game. Iowa's 14 turnovers isn't a great number but not considered extremely high. Each team has committed 15 fouls, not terribly high either. Both teams have a shooting percentage in the mid-40s, which isn't horrible either.

I was thinking more about execution and hustle. Of course the stats are close; the score is close too. But the eyeball test favors CU. And I am a part time Hawkeye fan.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I was thinking more about execution and hustle. Of course the stats are close; the score is close too. But the eyeball test favors CU. And I am a part time Hawkeye fan.
I wasn't referring to the stats being close. Just numbers of fouls, turnovers, and made shots.
Iowa is a scratchy type of team. And so is Creighton. I'm not surprised it's not an eye-pleaser.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And btw I really think Iowa overachieved this year after losing their point guard Tania Davis to another ACL tear. Doyle emerged as a major force, and you can't say enough about the player Gustafson has become.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gonna be a FT shooting contest now. 76-61 Stanford, 2:28 left. GU starting to foul on purpose.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wonder if the first-round loss by Iowa will hurt Gustafson's chances of making AA.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And btw I really think Iowa overachieved this year after losing their point guard Tania Davis to another ACL tear. Doyle emerged as a major force, and you can't say enough about the player Gustafson has become.

Mostly agree, Plebe. Yes, the Davis injury set Iowa back. But today, Gustafson was slow to move about the low blocks and even slower on defense. The rest of the team couldn’t hit a shot or get a stop. A good team, maybe. But today, that good team really stunk it up.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Mostly agree, Plebe. Yes, the Davis injury set Iowa back. But today, Gustafson was slow to move about the low blocks and even slower on defense. The rest of the team couldn’t hit a shot or get a stop. A good team, maybe. But today, that good team really stunk it up.
Well, if 29 points and 17 rebounds is a slow game for Gustafson, she must be a heckuva player.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the first-round loss by Iowa will hurt Gustafson's chances of making AA.

Are you talking about the 10-member first team? I think she's earned it. Isn't it supposed to be based on the regular season?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Well, if 29 points and 17 rebounds is a slow game for Gustafson, she must be a heckuva player.

When she posted, she just parks it, which allows the defense to double or triple on her. Compared to Phee, Z, or Gabby, yes this park n’ post bit looks slow. UConn posts are in constant motion. If you want to think the better team lost, be my guest. We saw the same game differently, which is no big deal.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the 10-member first team? I think she's earned it. Isn't it supposed to be based on the regular season?
Not sure what you mean by "10-member first team."

The AP designates a 5-member first team, a 5-member second team, and a 5-member third team.
The WBCA and USBWA each designate a single 10-member team (not a "first" team).

Plebe

Reaction Score
When she posted, she just parks it, which allows the defense to double or triple on her. Compared to Phee, Z, or Gabby, yes this park n’ post bit looks slow. UConn posts are in constant motion. If you want to think the better team lost, be my guest. We saw the same game differently, which is no big deal.
I wouldn't say the better team lost. Iowa had a better overall season than Creighton, but Creighton was definitely the better team today.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by "10-member first team."

The AP designates a 5-member first team, a 5-member second team, and a 5-member third team.

The WBCA and USBWA each designate a single 10-member team (not a "first" team).

That must be what I'm thinking about. Yeah, she'll make the 10-member and some level of AP. Based on the regular season, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom