Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mandel: Big Ten Fighting for Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Purdue was fortunate enough to join the Big Ten when nobody cared, otherwise it would be "trolling around, look for the most desperate/willing host to suck dry."

Uhhh, it was the Purdue University President, James Henry Smart, who lead and initiated the formation of the Big Ten in 1895.

"Fortunate to join?" Haha...PU is the father of the B1G.

UM and OSU be damned, we're #1.

Recognize, Domer.

Reaction Score
Oh, good job. That's something to be proud of. Scum.

You kindof just admitted what most think of ND. Greedy leeches trolling around, looking for the most desperate/willing new host to suck dry.

Oh hey, I think Ill start a new catchphrase! "ScumND!!!" I'll use it in a sentence;

"The Old Big East got ScumND for a bunch of years, the BXII almost got ScumND, and now the ACC is gonna be getting ScumND for the foreseeable future." Sweet deal.

B1G 'fighting for survival', lol. Pfft...yeah.

Of the P5, the SEC is the most secure about themselves and sometimes even flaunt the fact that they don't need a GORs to protect them. Must be nice. After that, the PAC is in good shape because they are protected geographically. The B1G is NOT fighting for survival. The B1G is an old conference and aren't going to be disbanded. Without RU and UMCP, the B1G was still fine. Delany poached UMCP because he was ticked off that the ACC was reaching out to a Midwest school and was talking to PSU. Plus he's a bit greedy (like Swofford). So Delany took Swofford to school and taught him a lesson.

Remember, Delany and Swofford went to UNC together and have been competitive for ages. I get the feeling these 2 have always been at odds, even considering their UNC lineage. I wouldn't put it past Swofford or Delany to have a running tab of "who is better."

And back to survival, many think the ACC was going to wilt on the vine a few years ago when UMCP left and before the GORs. I think that was blown way out of proportion as well. The reality is that the ACC was held together because UVa and UNC decided that they didn't want to move to the B1G just yet (or ever). ND didn't save the ACC. FSU and Clemson were never going to the B12 and the SEC (UF and USC-e) continue to lock them out. So the ACC has been and will be OK as long as UVa and UNC keep it together (and I have a hunch they want to).

The only conference fighting for survival is the B12. The B12 lost Nebraska, OU, aTm and Mizzou to 3 different P5 conferences. That's bad news for them! But even the B12 is safe as long as they have Texas. Once Texas decides to go somewhere, then the other 9 B12 universities need to start panicking. But Texas didn't make the PAC warm and fuzzy. aTm will do everything they can to block Texas from the SEC. The B1G needs to change their admittance rules if they want to go for the Longhorns. And the ACC just doesn't make sense geographically and logistically. So even the B12 may be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of people and institutions look out for their best interests, they just don't abandon their principles when they do. In fact, many consider acting according to principle part of their best interests.

And stop making up scenarios so you can call somebody a name. "Purdue was fortunate enough to join the Big Ten when nobody cared, otherwise it would be "trolling around, look for the most desperate/willing host to suck dry."" What the hell was that about?

What was his original post attacking ND about, then?

Reaction Score
Telling...The B1G admits that they had to move because of ACC expansion.

"“That’s when it changed,” says Delany. “Once people start getting on our doorstep and calling our institutions, then I think it’s important to be able to be offensive and defensive. We came to the conclusion there was more risk in sitting still than there was in exploring other opportunities.”
Sad to say but the quality of your posts is in decline old chum. You're best when you stay on message: FSU is good at football. Maybe you've gotten a little full of yourself given the recent beauty contest win. Too bad you can't point to something "on the field" instead of "what the voters think." Don't get me wrong. I'm not denigrating your latest season. Great, great year. I would have voted you #1. It's the system that's been broken, not you guys.

Still, you do yourself a disservice when you make kissy-face with some buffoon spouting delusions about a Big Ten implosion. I don't believe that. I'm sure you don't believe that. So why trot it out in your posts?

Hey, quick question: Do you know if the tryouts for "Last Comic Standing" are closed? I think I may have the winning act. The ACC is going around blustering, telling folks they've got the most populous conference footprint. Get it? The ACC thinks they've got a footprint. I'm still laughing. I'm pretty sure they don't even have a little toe print in Georgia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York... And you know the best part about the TV "contest"? It's all based on votes so I don't have to worry about actual, on-stage laughs. It's not like anybody's going to measure how loud, how long, or how often people find me amusing.

Reaction Score
You know who is fighting for survival? Mid sized private institutions. Scale always wins, always. I'm looking at you BC, Cuse, Duke, Wake and Miami or a good portion of the gACC
The old line Catholic Schools lead that list of privates in trouble.
These schools are overpriced and really only politely Catholic, to some Catholics even a tad heretical. Most of their recent grads would not know the difference between the magisterium and a magistrate.(hyperbole alert)
Their original mission has long been forgotten. They are actual anactronisms.
This puts them in direct competition with established non sectarian privates and less expensive publics.
Some of these schools were once considered the Ivys for U.S. Catholics
They were fed by a huge Urban/Suburban Catholic sub-culture that is now,rapidly disappearing ,melting into the general population ,with a resulting loss of its identity.
The success of these schools actually mirrored the sucess of this culture ,with its disappearance they will be hit the hardest.
The Georgetowns will survive as non Catholic., but lesser Institutions will be hard pressed to compete as highly priced non-sectarian privates. This is not new to the US. As the New England Calvinist theocracy collapsed, schools like Yale and Harvard moved away from it quickly.Today their origins are all but forgotten.
If future demographics are an issue in CR than anyone gambling on a religious based school is playing Russian Roulette.

Reaction Score
Point taken. He seems to get away with calling others "scum" and things like that, though.

I'll explain it in simple terms;

I'm B1G guy, they like me here.

You're ND guy. Nobody likes you anywhere.

Simple enough?

And my original post was RE ND "playing conferences against each other", which, IMO, is scummy behavior. You posted it, sorry if my reaction is to consider behavior like that less than honorable. An example of one of the many reasons CFB fans love to loathe ND.

I do appreciate your honesty tho. Thx bro.

Reaction Score
Point taken. He seems to get away with calling others "scum" and things like that, though.
I understand. He's just less persona non grata around here than fans of teams who blew up our old conference.

Reaction Score
I understand that UConn has its four basketball titles and I'm jealous of those, but the B1G blue bloods had a chance to invite Connecticut and elected not to.
Binge: Try thinking more, instead of binging on thinking. Your brain needs the exercise.

Reaction Score
I'll explain it in simple terms;

I'm B1G guy, they like me here.

You're ND guy. Nobody likes you anywhere.

Simple enough?

And my original post was RE ND "playing conferences against each other", which, IMO, is scummy behavior. You posted it, sorry if my reaction is to consider behavior like that less than honorable. An example of one of the many reasons CFB fans love to loathe ND.

I do appreciate your honesty tho. Thx bro.

Sure, I am honest. Leveraging one conference against the other is merely good business, not "scummy". There is nothing "honorable" about conference realignment.

It is not humanitarian relief, it is one giant cash grab. It is all about leveraging one's position for more greenbacks.

Reaction Score
Sure, I am honest. Leveraging one conference against the other is merely good business, not "scummy". There is nothing "honorable" about conference realignment.

It is not humanitarian relief, it is one giant cash grab. It is all about leveraging one's position for more greenbacks.

And I find it quite interesting that the most lucrative, traditional conference in the USA (which happens to be based in the Midwest) and the most lucrative, traditional college football program in the USA (which happens to be based in the Midwest) have made aggressive moves to interact more with the East Coast.

Hmmm... demographics?

Reaction Score
I understand that UConn has its four basketball titles and I'm jealous of those, but the B1G blue bloods had a chance to invite Connecticut and elected not to.
To get to Hartford from my house I need to go through Meriden. Just because I'm in Meriden doesn't mean I'm not going to Hartford. The B1G is executing a plan. Just because we're not Step One on that plan doesn't mean we're not on the plan.

Reaction Score
I can sympathize a bit with Lions fans, in a way. I am a lifelong (I am 56) Pittsburgh Pirates fan and the last twenty years were tough to take, to say the least.
Until 2004, Red Sox fans were suffering. So we feel your pain Lions fans.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Until 2004, Red Sox fans were suffering. So we feel your pain Lions fans.

Yeah, BoSox fans, especially could feel our pain. When the 1st baseman who shall not be named made that error, I could have sworn he was, just for a split second, wearing the Honolulu Blue and Silver of The Lions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sorry, but Hartford Whaler fans have all tortured fan bases beat:

1) 1 playoff series round win (for which the city of Hartford threw a parade);
2) a decimating trade that sent away a HOF and Top 10 All-Time Great for scrubs;
3) the GM who made that decimating trade later was hired as Pittsburgh head coach and got to enjoy the fruits of that horrendous trade;
4) years worth of more horrible trades executed by the future Pittsburgh coach OR a drunk GM;
5) Players traded to Hartford requested trades out of Hartford seconds after being traded to Hartford;
6) Conference playoff scenarios changed from Top 4 division teams to 1-8 seeding because of anger at the Whalers qualifying for playoffs because of lousy Quebec finishing in last (and ironically getting half of their points playing the Whale);
7) The final season choke job after beating Buffalo at home, they couldn't get by Ottawa or the Islanders to preserve a playoff spot (no magical Minnesota North Stars' Finals run dream in last season);
8) Lost our beloved franchise to the robust hockey market in...Greensboro/Raleigh, North Carolina.
9) Got to watch our beloved franchise win a Stanley Cup in the robust hockey market of...Greensboro/Raleigh, North Carolina.

I can add more but I don't feel like bumming myself out any more. It's bad enough that I have to come to grips with UCONN in the AAC and forced to watch our local rivals play in P5 comfort.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but Hartford Whaler fans have all tortured fan bases beat:

1) 1 playoff series round win (for which the city of Hartford threw a parade);
2) a decimating trade that sent away a HOF and Top 10 All-Time Great for scrubs;
3) the GM who made that decimating trade later was hired as Pittsburgh head coach and got to enjoy the fruits of that horrendous trade;
4) years worth of more horrible trades executed by the future Pittsburgh coach OR a drunk GM;
5) Players traded to Hartford requested trades out of Hartford seconds after being traded to Hartford;
6) Conference playoff scenarios changed from Top 4 division teams to 1-8 seeding because of anger at the Whalers qualifying for playoffs because of lousy Quebec finishing in last (and ironically getting half of their points playing the Whale);
7) The final season choke job after beating Buffalo at home, they couldn't get by Ottawa or the Islanders to preserve a playoff spot (no magical Minnesota North Stars' Finals run dream in last season);
8) Lost our beloved franchise to the robust hockey market in...Greensboro/Raleigh, North Carolina.
9) Got to watch our beloved franchise win a Stanley Cup in the robust hockey market of...Greensboro/Raleigh, North Carolina.

I can add more but I don't feel like bumming myself out any more. It's bad enough that I have to come to grips with UCONN in the AAC and forced to watch our local rivals play in P5 comfort.
I was at that parade. I've been boycotting that game ,played on ice, ever since the Whale departed. The end of the NHL might be one benefit to global warming.

Reaction Score
I have a better chance of having a 3-way with Kate Upton and ScarJo than UConn does of getting a B1G invite. These threads are comical.

I don't claim to know what the Big Ten *will* do, nor do I claim to know much of the details of the who/what/where/when, etc. However, I have said repeatedly and I stand by it... I do feel *very* strongly that UConn is most definitely an option that has been discussed the last couple years. Because of how they want to approach expansion (preferably done contiguously and outward), Connecticut, Kansas and Virginia are the most likely first options. If there are scenarios that wind up yielding Texas and/or North Carolina, I'm sure they'd explore those too. But they really seem to value the gradual expansion into new markets as it seems more authentic a fit.

Reaction Score
I have a better chance of having a 3-way with Kate Upton and ScarJo than UConn does of getting a B1G invite. These threads are comical.
Love the positive attitude! What say we grab a revolver and a bullet?

Reaction Score
You have a better chance of having a 4-way with Kate, ScarJo, and take your pick than Rutgers had of getting a B1G invite, yet the latter still happened.

Reaction Score
With apologies to Billy Joel...

WE DIDN'T STOCK THE POND...

World Cup and Billy Joel
The off-season takes its toll
The AAC sucks, Billybud's a troll.

Florida makes a crater
and Terry is a master baiter
He makes the infidels scream
Notre Dame is his team

Jewelry, braided hair and all
Third and one, throw the ball