Makai Ashton Lankford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Makai Ashton Lankford

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that MAL is now out of the Providence rotation now. He is shooting 10% on 3 pointer n 45% on FTs for the yr. He has't hit a three pointer since November. I saw this coming when I watch his HS games. He can't shoot and is grossly overrated. He took an extra prep yr to work on his shooting n that got him no where. Base on this, his shooting will never be adequate for him to play in the NBA. We could use him this yr given our short rotations. Just want everyone to know that I think we got a better deal with one yr of AA and 4 yrs of Akinjo

He’s still getting better practicing against PC players everyday than he would have practicing against uconn players everyday.

Reaction Score
Thankfully they never got anything more than spot minutes. Ollie's got Antwoine out there the whole game.

Garrison started for awhile and played 30+.

Oh the memories.

Reaction Score
Not that it hasn't been said before but the guy we really needed was Waters. @Walker11 nailed this one when he called MAL overrated and Waters underrated.

I do think that Ollie has by and large not gotten nearly enough of his teams, but basketball is a sport where two players can take you from the hot seat to the final four. Add a Waters and a Diallo to this roster and the amount of people saying he can't coach or doesn't run offense is cut 90%.

Reaction Score
You are remembering wrong, Garrison never started for us and didn't play big minutes.

Yes, didn't start, but he did play 17 minutes against Arizona, 23 minutes against UMass, 17 mins, 16 mins, 15 mins, 16 mins, . He was the only other point guard on the roster behind Austrie for a few months. Then Marcus Williams came back in January and he hardly played. Still he got Anderson minutes for 2 months.

Reaction Score
Yes, didn't start, but he did play 17 minutes against Arizona, 23 minutes against UMass, 17 mins, 16 mins, 15 mins, 16 mins, . He was the only other point guard on the roster behind Austrie for a few months. Then Marcus Williams came back in January and he hardly played. Still he got Anderson minutes for 2 months.
He doesn't exactly get Anderson minutes. Garrison never started a game at UConn and never played 30 minutes in a game here, Anderson averages 32 minutes per game.

Neither are UConn level players.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I agree, we kind of dodged a bullet with him. He was extremely overrated.

Reaction Score
He doesn't exactly get Anderson minutes. Garrison never started a game at UConn and never played 30 minutes in a game here, Anderson averages 32 minutes per game.

Neither are UConn level players.

UH, yes. I already acknowledged he didn't start. I just remember him being on the court for half the game in those early months. It was awful. He certainly got more than spot minutes in those months of laptopgate.

Reaction Score
Different system, tough to gauge how he would play here.

Think Curtis Kelly at K State or Doug Wrenn at Washington...all guys that didn't do much here but needed a switch.

When he got to Washington Wrenn already had all the shoes he needed and was able to fully concentrate on basketball. Kelly was a mystery but maybe he just couldn't handle the pressure and expectations of Calhoun and UConn. Certainly no comparable pressure playing at K State so he may have been more relaxed and able to play to his potential.

Reaction Score
Never was a fan of him. He never “impressed” me. I’m not a big fan of “potential” which is all he is. I’d rather production at the college level. The Bonzie Colsons, Bazz, Niang, Jeff Adrien. Guys with not much NBA potential but who will produce and be stars in college

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are unbelievable.
MAL has been rough thus far, but where the hell were these "I saw this coming/MAL is overrated" people after he de-committed? Or after he had a solid game against us at Mohegan?

As far as I'm concerned, from what I saw at Mohegan, he appeared to have much upside. And I don't remember a single person stating that he was overrated. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are unbelievable.
MAL has been rough thus far, but where the hell were these "I saw this coming/MAL is overrated" people after he de-committed? Or after he had a solid game against us at Mohegan?

As far as I'm concerned, from what I saw at Mohegan, he appeared to have much upside. And I don't remember a single person stating that he was overrated. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can only speak for myself, but as soon as he de-committed I expressed how I didn’t think he was that special and how I thought freshman MAL and 5th Anderson canceled each other out. And that if we got Tremont we would miss MAL at all
We will be a top 25 team next year - Lock it in

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If u watch his film from Cushing he could shoot. Think he figures it out at some point. Maybe he will be able to transfer here without sitting out.

Reaction Score
I felt this way when I watched them at Mohegan. Sad thing is he is exactly the type of guy we recruit. For some reason our philosophy is the dribble drive can't shoot guards.

This

C

Chief00

Let’s renember KO and Glen Miller identify talent in MAL. Was that an error?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that MAL is now out of the Providence rotation now. He is shooting 10% on 3 pointer n 45% on FTs for the yr. He has't hit a three pointer since November. I saw this coming when I watch his HS games. He can't shoot and is grossly overrated. He took an extra prep yr to work on his shooting n that got him no where. Base on this, his shooting will never be adequate for him to play in the NBA. We could use him this yr given our short rotations. Just want everyone to know that I think we got a better deal with one yr of AA and 4 yrs of Akinjo
Interesting given that his place in the rotation was taken by Antwoine who is having similar problems shooting (except his FT % is much better).

Reaction Score
what an unnecessary thread.

Why because it doesn't meet the requirements of Fire Ollie threads? Please, people here watched a couple early Friar games and were all over the fact we lost him now a huge hush about this one. This thread actually makes sense as to what many thought was an actual awful loss by KO and the staff, now has proven to potentially be okay after all. You want unnecessary check out the thousands of broken record posts from the cronies, that's unnecessary we get it.

Do agree on Anderson just not fitting in at all and receiving too many minutes, some out of necessity but too many from my point of view for sure.

It's a solid thread thank you for the info.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
MAL has a lot going for him apart from the shooting. We've had point guards who couldn't shoot but helped us -- KO and Taliek to name two. It's far from ideal but it can work.

I think the difference between MAL on the one hand and KO and Taliek on the other is that they were fast and MAL relies on strength, which doesn't translate as well from high school to higher levels where everyone is strong. But, MAL would be a good "big guard" to complement Akinjo and Gilbert when we need a distributor with size for defensive and end of game purposes.

Overall, if MAL would have cost us Akinjo, I'm glad we got Akinjo, but MAL is better than the likes of Anderson, and ultimately KO has to figure out how to build a complete roster. The Garrison comparison to Anderson is good, the difference is Garrison was 3rd point guard and 5th guard, Anderson was 2nd point guard and 4th guard and there was no 5th guard or 3rd point.

Reaction Score
Shooting aside, the reason that MAL is not in the rotation is poor decision making. He's trying to make the highlight play as opposed to the simple play. This leads to turnovers or drives where he beats his man only to get crushed by the help defense. He's a shoot first PG that is needed to pass. The team is shooting it's best FG% in years and he just needs to find these guys. Bottom line is Cooley can't trust him. We lose every lead when he's on the court.

When Maliek White comes back from injury MAL might not see the court again. Kris Dunn was a PG that couldn't shoot coming in but was such a world-class athlete he could get to rim on anyone. I'm so down on guards that can't shoot and the people that rate them high.

Reaction Score
Shooting aside, the reason that MAL is not in the rotation is poor decision making. He's trying to make the highlight play as opposed to the simple play. This leads to turnovers or drives where he beats his man only to get crushed by the help defense. He's a shoot first PG that is needed to pass. The team is shooting it's best FG% in years and he just needs to find these guys. Bottom line is Cooley can't trust him. We lose every lead when he's on the court.

When Maliek White comes back from injury MAL might not see the court again. Kris Dunn was a PG that couldn't shoot coming in but was such a world-class athlete he could get to rim on anyone. I'm so down on guards that can't shoot and the people that rate them high.

Thanks for the insight. Why didn't Cooley teach Kris how to land after his dunks? :oops:

Reaction Score
Why because it doesn't meet the requirements of Fire Ollie threads? Please, people here watched a couple early Friar games and were all over the fact we lost him now a huge hush about this one. This thread actually makes sense as to what many thought was an actual awful loss by KO and the staff, now has proven to potentially be okay after all. You want unnecessary check out the thousands of broken record posts from the cronies, that's unnecessary we get it.

Do agree on Anderson just not fitting in at all and receiving too many minutes, some out of necessity but too many from my point of view for sure.

It's a solid thread thank you for the info.

Yeah let's just start a thread dedicated to bashing a kid who decided not to come here. That's a totally reasonable and necessary discussion to have

Reaction Score
Yeah let's just start a thread dedicated to bashing a kid who decided not to come here. That's a totally reasonable and necessary discussion to have

Oh okay that's cool JMick, but it was fine when everyone bashed Ollie for losing him? Find some consistency in your whining?

How dare someone try to post a reasonable thread about why maybe it worked out this kid didn't come here and we get Akinjo, who may have shied away if MAL was here? You guys are whacked with your blinders!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom