Makai Ashton Lankford | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Makai Ashton Lankford

pj

Reaction Score
Ollie is a grown man who gets paid to be in the public eye. MAL is a kid who's not getting paid and the only reason people are talking about him is because he decided not to come here. You know better so stop playing dumb and pretending the two situations are anything alike

On the other hand, Ollie works for UConn and MAL plays for Providence. As UConn fans, shouldn't we support UConn guys and, if we have to bash, prefer to bash Providence guys?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ollie is a grown man who gets paid to be in the public eye. MAL is a kid who's not getting paid and the only reason people are talking about him is because he decided not to come here. You know better so stop playing dumb and pretending the two situations are anything alike

Are people not allowed to point out players performing poorly? This whole "players are 100% off limits" stance is weird .

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Because nothing is his fault.

Was it his fault Vance didn't know his defensive assignments by the conference tourney last year and needed on-court instruction from a fellow freshman?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Was it his fault Vance didn't know his defensive assignments by the conference tourney last year and needed on-court instruction from a fellow freshman?
Seriously?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As I expected, you have no answer for me.
That's where you had to go to find an example of whatever point it is you are trying to make? You are right, I have no answer to such madness.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
That's where you had to go to find an example of whatever point it is you are trying to make? You are right, I have no answer to such madness.

Was that or was that not Kevin Ollie's fault?

Reaction Score
Are people not allowed to point out players performing poorly? This whole "players are 100% off limits" stance is weird .
I don't feel the need to bash kids solely because they didn't pick UConn.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I don't feel the need to bash kids solely because they didn't pick UConn.

Easy there, tiger. Strawmen are my thing -- not yours.

If we can have threads discussing the outstanding performance of one of our past PG targets (Tremont Waters), why can't we have corresponding threads for former PG targets who are playing poorly?

Reaction Score
Was that or was that not Kevin Ollie's fault?

He’s responsible for the product on the court. He recruits them, he coaches them, he picks who plays. If his end product is putting someone in the game who doesn’t know what to do, that’s a reflection on him. Yes it’s his fault. Vance didn’t put himself in the game.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He’s responsible for the product on the court. He recruits them, he coaches them, he picks who plays. If his end product is putting someone in the game who doesn’t know what to do, that’s a reflection on him. Yes it’s his fault. Vance didn’t put himself in the game.

How can any rational human believe that the players have zero agency over their own efforts?

Why are they not responsible for themselves in any way, shape, or form?

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Ollie works for UConn and MAL plays for Providence. As UConn fans, shouldn't we support UConn guys and, if we have to bash, prefer to bash Providence guys?
it's not a zero sum game. You don't have to rip on a kid just because he decided to go to school somewhere else. I don't really understand what compels anyone to do so. Do you go badmouth your ex when they break up with you, too?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
it's not a zero sum game. You don't have to rip on a kid just because he decided to go to school somewhere else. I don't really understand what compels anyone to do so. Do you go badmouth your ex when they break up with you, too?

Maybe these threads wouldn't exist if the peanut gallery didn't treat it like a zero sum game where Ollie bears 100% of the responsibility and the players are nothing more than hunks of Play-Do.

Reaction Score

Wow from you? It's sports here, whether it's a coach who gets 3M or a player who gets a free ride through his skills or supposed skills, you're up for analysis. Not sure what makes it alright to use really horrible words to describe our coach but not ok to say a kid who almost came here "can't shoot" when there's proof. Also it pointed out a fact that another kid who may have never been a Husky now is because the crappy shooter isn't here? What's so bad about this discussion in comparison to telling the world how awful and how stupid your coach is?

Guys are unreal!:D

pj

Reaction Score

I agree with you that we shouldn't badmouth players who went elsewhere. But I don't get the non-stop Ollie bashing either. What I was reacting to was the argument that Ollie deserves bashing because he's an adult public figure, but MAL doesn't (because he's not an adult? not a public figure? not ours?).

I'd prefer a stance of charity toward all and malice towards none.

Reaction Score
How can any rational human believe that the players have zero agency over their own efforts?

Why are they not responsible for themselves in any way, shape, or form?

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Yes the player is to blame also. But he’s not being paid over $3M to run the program.

The player needs to know if the effort isn’t there he won’t play.

Reaction Score
Did not see Reeves but I think he'll be good. The scouts and the ratings department emphasize athleticism too much. I should have trust my instincts on Tremont Waters. I mean he had elite quickness and is an elite shooter, passer and dribbler. This should tell u that he will be a good player in college. Unfortunately, David Duke is not a good shooter, passer or dribbler. He has elite athleticism. Reeves has elite shooting but does not possess a good handle or quickness. I think he will be a very good player with his shooting and size.

Reaction Score
To everyone who’s against this thread I don’t ever want to hear another complaint about Makai picking providence, or how we missed on tremont. If other teams players are off limits then they’re off limits.
This idea that we can only bring up players we missed on when they’re playing well, for the sole purpose of bashing Ollie and the program is weird at best. The double standard here is pretty clear

Reaction Score
To everyone who’s against this thread I don’t ever want to hear another complaint about Makai picking providence, or how we missed on tremont. If other teams players are off limits then they’re off limits.
This idea that we can only bring up players we missed on when they’re playing well, for the sole purpose of bashing Ollie and the program is weird at best. The double standard here is pretty clear

Agreed. There’s plenty to bash Ollie for with out using top recruits that didn’t pick UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom