Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The comments on the Summitt are mostly congratulatory.

Only one person on the Baylor board has used the word "congratulations," and I was that person. It flies in the face of everything Baylor represents.

Reaction Score
This is huge news in Rocky Top. I've received several texts from fans who are very happy for her. I wouldn't pay attention to Volnation. That board makes me want to throw up at times.

That being said, I cannot cheer for a "Glory Griner" LOL I have way too many bad Griner memories from our awful Baylor games. She better at least be "Glory Johnson Griner." :)

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is huge news in Rocky Top. I've received several texts from fans who are very happy for her. I wouldn't pay attention to Volnation. That board makes me want to throw up at times.

That being said, I cannot cheer for a "Glory Griner" LOL I have way too many bad Griner memories from our awful Baylor games. She better at least be "Glory Johnson Griner." :)
VolNation is a nice site, posters are fair... may not like UConn the team but loves how they play on the court, much more respect there than on the Summitt

Reaction Score
What about "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"?

I think it's a matter of self-description. If you're gay and want to use the Q word, you can. For a straight person like myself to automatically use it to describe a gay person might or might not be acceptable, depending on the person, so I would never do it. If the person later self-described as queer, I still might not use it unless he/she was a friend, in which case I might. It's a good question. I plan to ask a gay friend of mine when I see him next week. His perspective has to be at least twice as good as mine.

Reaction Score
It might actually be a generational issue. I self identify as queer (although I'm also a a gay man). Queer is actually the term preferred by many radical lgbtq activists for a variety of reasons. In addition to the co-option/reclaiming of the term some have mentioned, it is preferred by me (after studying "queer theory" as an undergraduate at Brown and while doing my ph.d at Oxford), and many of my and younger generations because:

1. It offers a more fluid conceptualization of sexuality. A la Kinsey, I think the dichotomy of straight and gay (plus bisexual) is inaccurately rigid and the basis for a great deal of oppression;
2. It also is a more unifying term for the "lgbtq community." Instead of dividing us into different labels (and often creating/reifying power structures that favor gay men over women, transgendered individuals);
3. It creates an important alliance between sexual orientation and gender identity; many transgendered people prefer being identified as "genderqueer" as opposed to having to be forced into a socially constructed role of male/female.

Maybe you are also gay, but I can tell you that it is NOT considered OK by any gay person I know, and that includes me. If anyone ever called me queer I would correct them quite promptly.

Reaction Score
Needed to edit, since I left out something important I intended to say but forgot. But apparently you cannot edit after 15 minutes.

It might actually be a generational and geographic issue. I self identify as queer (although I'm also a a gay man). Queer is actually the term preferred by many radical lgbtq activists for a variety of reasons. In addition to the co-option/reclaiming of the term some have mentioned, it is preferred by me (after studying "queer theory" as an undergraduate at Brown, where almost everyone preferrred queer, and while doing my ph.d at Oxford, where only a minority preferred the term), and many of my and younger generations because:

1. It offers a more fluid conceptualization of sexuality. A la Kinsey, I think the dichotomy of straight and gay (plus bisexual) is inaccurately rigid and the basis for a great deal of oppression;
2. It also is a more unifying term for the "lgbtq community." Instead of dividing us into different labels (and often creating/reifying power structures that favor gay men over women, transgendered individuals);
3. It creates an important alliance between sexual orientation and gender identity; many transgendered people prefer being identified as "genderqueer" as opposed to having to be forced into a socially constructed role of male/female.

Reaction Score
Needed to edit, since I left out something important I intended to say but forgot. But apparently you cannot edit after 15 minutes.

It might actually be a generational and geographic issue. I self identify as queer (although I'm also a a gay man). Queer is actually the term preferred by many radical lgbtq activists for a variety of reasons. In addition to the co-option/reclaiming of the term some have mentioned, it is preferred by me (after studying "queer theory" as an undergraduate at Brown, where almost everyone preferrred queer, and while doing my ph.d at Oxford, where only a minority preferred the term), and many of my and younger generations because:

1. It offers a more fluid conceptualization of s e xuality. A la Kinsey, I think the dichotomy of straight and gay (plus bis e xual) is inaccurately rigid and the basis for a great deal of oppression;
3. It creates an important alliance between s e xual orientation and gender identity; many transgendered people prefer being identified as "genderqueer" as opposed to having to be forced into a socially constructed role of male/female.
Duly noted...

Reaction Score

I don't blame you for trying to disown the VolNation board. But the fact remains that it is the most popular free board dedicated to Tennessee Volunteer sports and as such reflects the widest cross section of their fans. See for yourself

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-lady-vols/222131-glory-johnson-now-engaged.html

Reaction Score
'Queer' is actually sort of the preferred term in academia when I was in undergrad a few years back taking my share of sociology/gender & sexuality studies courses. There's a reclamatory element, but also more so because it's intended to be an inclusive term ("gay" heavily connotes a gay man, but "queer" includes the whole LGBT rainbow).

Anyway, I'm laughing at this news because I remember Baylor playing Tenn when Griner was a freshman and I distinctly recall Glory making all sorts of not-very-nice faces playing against Britney. And now they're engaged! lol

Reaction Score

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
'Queer' is actually sort of the preferred term in academia when I was in undergrad a few years back taking my share of sociology/gender & s e xuality studies courses. There's a reclamatory element, but also more so because it's intended to be an inclusive term ("gay" heavily connotes a gay man, but "queer" includes the whole LGBT rainbow).

Anyway, I'm laughing at this news because I remember Baylor playing Tenn when Griner was a freshman and I distinctly recall Glory making all sorts of not-very-nice faces playing against Britney. And now they're engaged! lol

I asked my gay friends on Facebook if they find the word "queer" offensive. At this point everyone has said that it is offensive and one person said "I think it is an awful word."

Maybe we are just not smart enough to know that it shouldn't offend us. Those in "academia" must know a lot more that we do. I guess if we were more educated we would be more inclined to "reclaim" the word.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I asked my gay friends on Facebook if they find the word "queer" offensive. At this point everyone has said that it is offensive and one person said "I think it is an awful word."

Maybe we are just not smart enough to know that it shouldn't offend us. Those in "academia" must know a lot more that we do. I guess if we were more educated we would be more inclined to "reclaim" the word.
I'm with you on all counts ETT

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blessings to the two of them. There will be plenty of challenges as in any union but if they are honest with each other and strong together against the struggles of life they can do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom