Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN)

Reaction Score
Only downside to this deal is we won't have Dan O calling any of our games

Reaction Score
We had zero leverage with SNY.
They already had the women so there was no danger of being bounced from Ct. cable systems. They probably thought we had no other options as well.
SNY probably offered to pick up production costs with a promise to revisit down the road.
Our past AD`s probably would have went with that. I have a feeling DB went shopping for better with the bird in hand.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We had zero leverage with SNY.
They already had the women so there was no danger of being bounced from Ct. cable systems. They probably thought we had no other options as well.
SNY probably offered to pick up production costs with a promise to revisit down the road.
Our past AD`s probably would have went with that. I have a feeling DB went shopping for better with the bird in hand.

You don't seem to understand what leverage is.

Being able to get a better deal is leverage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Apparently we had leverage...don’t think SNY saw that coming though or maybe they never really wanted it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s what I’m thinking
m

Nonetheless. He’s the best UCONN AD in the post Perno era (lol). Great job since Summer of 2019. And I really believe he CARES about the student athletes
Wouldn't that be Toner? He...
1) got us in the Big East,
2) hired Calhoun, and
3) hired Auriemma.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how people think UConn football is worth remotely close to a million a year on its own. SNY wanted UConn football but they didn’t wanna pay an additional 250-300 k a year on top of women’s basketball. We get 250 k in football to start, production costs covered, national tv. Can go to any bar in the country and watch them play and not have to go watch it on an iPad. Coaches can tell recruits they will be on national tv every game. There is just so much to like. UConn will get 250-300 k, no production costs, better home and home opponents. I’m thrilled. Idc about the money.

Reaction Score
Apparently we had leverage...don’t think SNY saw that coming though or maybe they never really wanted it.
I don’t think that all these SNY rumors were by mistake. I imagine They were a smokescreen put out by the AD to get a better deal with CBSSN. Or maybe I just really want to think AD David Benedict is that good.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how people think UConn football is worth remotely close to a million a year on its own. SNY wanted UConn football but they didn’t wanna pay an additional 250-300 k a year on top of women’s basketball. We get 250 k in football to start, production costs covered, national tv. Can go to any bar in the country and watch them play and not have to go watch it on an iPad. Coaches can tell recruits they will be on national tv every game. There is just so much to like. UConn will get 250-300 k, no production costs, better home and home opponents. I’m thrilled. Idc about the money.
I’m thrilled with the CBS sports news...

About valuation - I think if you can attempt any quick crude comparison it’s to the new MTW deal which if I recall was about 3.5MM for school for both football and basketball. If you net out a generous 1MM value on BB you get a net football number of 2.5MM. Meanwhile if the MAC is 800k and CUSA & SunBelt sub 400k, then where should we land?

Reaction Score

I said we had no leverage with SNY financially
That was basically the whole post
Then I said we probably leveraged that to a better deal
Who's not understanding?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don’t think that all these SNY rumors were by mistake. I imagine They were a smokescreen put out by the AD to get a better deal with CBSSN. Or maybe I just really want to think AD David Benedict is that good.
Really? IDK- I think when we started we had just SNY to seriously talk too and then over time momentum built up with CBS. The quotes today pretty much said CBS started entraining this idea once Benedict had a good schedule going.

I bet the remaining games yet to be announced were contingent on this national linear TV deal and vice versa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The contract is for more than 250k a year. Unless the article is wrong, it says "Financial specifics weren’t available, but the CBS Sports deal, which is OVER seven figures for the four years, will benefit UConn in ways similar to the average of deals in place for teams in conferences such as Conference USA, the MAAC and Mountain West."

Reaction Score
I’m thrilled with the CBS sports news...

About valuation - I think if you can attempt any quick crude comparison it’s to the new MTW deal which if I recall was about 3.5MM for school for both football and basketball. If you net out a generous 1MM value on BB you get a net football number of 2.5MM. Meanwhile if the MAC is 800k and CUSA & SunBelt sub 400k, then where should we land?
I think if we make around 300 k with a national broadcast and production taken care of then it’s a fair deal. Especially when you factor in travel savings across the athletic department and buy games. I like this deal. We are making much more than NMSU and UMass on a better network. Start winning and make more the next time the deal ends

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Why are we even talking about SNY? I don’t think there is any debate that the CBS deal is a better deal. Once CBSSN entered the picture with national coverage, game over for SNY. DB has delivered the best case scenario for independent football with scheduling and tv. Now, it’s up to the coaching staff to recruit and win. I am jacked!

Reaction Score
"We’ve seen a tremendous interest from the standpoint that we’re going to be playing teams from all the Power-5 conferences has made a big difference in the recruiting so far." -Edsall

Sounds like we can expect some PAC/Big 12 scheduling announcements.

Reaction Score
"We’ve seen a tremendous interest from the standpoint that we’re going to be playing teams from all the Power-5 conferences has made a big difference in the recruiting so far." -Edsall

Sounds like we can expect some PAC/Big 12 scheduling announcements.

Also sounds like if Edsall wasn't happy with this whole situation before he's come around.

VCE

Reaction Score
Congrats, Huskies! Your AD has done a great job over the past 12-18 months.

I wish other schools in the Northeast like Cuse were as forward looking. Or BC. But no one likes them. I’d be just as happy with a BU or Northeastern who cared about basketball. The era of eastern independents in FBS was awesome and I’m sure UCONN could thrive in such an arrangement. Alas...

I’m looking forward to regular games again, hopefully this coming season. Stay safe.

Reaction Score
The contract is for more than 250k a year. Unless the article is wrong, it says "Financial specifics weren’t available, but the CBS Sports deal, which is OVER seven figures for the four years, will benefit UConn in ways similar to the average of deals in place for teams in conferences such as Conference USA, the MAAC and Mountain West."
Anthony should have written "which is INTO THE seven figures for four years". By writing over, he meant over the million dollar mark.

You don't seriously think the deal is into the tens of millions, do you?

Reaction Score
Gotta assume Pitt and Rutgers end up on schedule. Wouldn’t be surprised if basketball is included for both.

Rutgers? Would they risk Adamanation of Cliff on national TV?

Reaction Score
Last edited:
C

Chief00

In my opinion that doesn’t matter now. National coverage alone is worth lots more
It matches our recruiting footprint better. This connects the dots with Chief’s earlier recruiting Grind thread.

C

Chief00

Article says that SNY may pick up the excess. It is good to have multiple bidders for our content.
I think SNY’s mindset was they were accommodating football to preserve their basketball relationship. UConn needed something more football centric. I do think SNY does a really nice all around job but this is national and covers our recruiting footprint and will support the recruiting Grind Chief talks about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom