Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN)

Reaction Score
??? We had national coverage in the AAC. Why does money no longer matter?
But so were all the other AAC teams... If we can now poach better players because we are on national TV vs AAC and others who are moving to ESPN+ paywall, that could create more wins, which will increase attendance, and therefore more $$$ and better exposure for the program.

Reaction Score
Nothing new/No $$ discussed:

>>"I am excited that we have been able to finalize this multi-year partnership with CBS Sports," director of athletics David Benedict said. "CBS Sports is a tremendous brand for our football program to be associated with and I know UConn Nation will be pleased that it will be able to watch the Huskies compete against a compelling group of opponents on a nationally-distributed network."

"Adding UConn football to our already robust lineup of partners provides more high-quality football content for CBS Sports Network," said Dan Weinberg, EVP, Programming, CBS Sports. "We look forward to a long and successful relationship with UConn in the years ahead."<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Also from the short UConn Press Release:

Television information for UConn's three remaining home games in 2020 will be announced in the coming weeks. All game times will be announced at a later date and the schedule is subject to change.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Just enjoying having Benedict as our AD while we can before he gets a major SEC job. Because what he's done over the last 12 months shows he is more than qualified to be at the very top.

Reaction Score
Nothing new/No $$ discussed:

>>"I am excited that we have been able to finalize this multi-year partnership with CBS Sports," director of athletics David Benedict said. "CBS Sports is a tremendous brand for our football program to be associated with and I know UConn Nation will be pleased that it will be able to watch the Huskies compete against a compelling group of opponents on a nationally-distributed network."

"Adding UConn football to our already robust lineup of partners provides more high-quality football content for CBS Sports Network," said Dan Weinberg, EVP, Programming, CBS Sports. "We look forward to a long and successful relationship with UConn in the years ahead."<<

Money has to come out at some point correct since it's a public institution? Or can they somehow skirt that because Learfield, a private entity, is handling this?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Can't interpret this deal in any way other than as a big net positive for the football program as compared to expectations when we left the AAC. Congratulations to AD DB - between this and his work on the scheduling front, he's definitely not thinking of football as the red-headed stepchild of the UConn athletics program that many of us feared it would become.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I knew I could do it! One downside is that CBSSN has the longest commercial breaks. Horrible on cold days.

Weak.

The biggest downside is the crappola announcers they assigned to the UConn games.
I can't believe they assigned some young, barely beyond pimple-nosed, pencil-neck geek who can't even fill out a dress shirt and sports blazer to call the game.
And what's the analyst? Seems like he's not quite ready for prime time. You can tell he tries so hard with his catch phrases and he's forces those catch phrases in worse the Jameis Winston throwing in to double coverage.
It's so obvious CBSSN is just using UConn as filler material. If they really cared about building up UConn football as a key to their college football package they'd give us the crew from the CBS SEC 3pm game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

To boot - wonder if AD David Benedict has a few drafted but unsigned H & Hs on the desk that he waived in front of CBS to add fuel to the fire.....like BYU, Pitt and Rutty. All three have some room through 2024, and plenty thereafter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!! (Even though its not as important as the exposure, I am still v curious)

Reaction Score
Gotta assume Pitt and Rutgers end up on schedule. Wouldn’t be surprised if basketball is included for both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom