Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN)

Reaction Score
What people? People that don't care that the AAC was killing our athletic department? Screw 'em.

The AAC did not hire Diaco and Pasquaoni. The AAC did not prohibit Ollie from recruiting a top five recruiting class and then delivering losing seasons. The UConn athletic department made it's own bed. Hathaway and Manuel made bad decision after bad decision that had nothing to do with the AAC. The people who are to blame drive up Hillside Road every day.

Reaction Score
The AAC did not hire Diaco and Pasquaoni. The AAC did not prohibit Ollie from recruiting a top five recruiting class and then delivering losing seasons. The UConn athletic department made it's own bed. Hathaway and Manuel made bad decision after bad decision that had nothing to do with the AAC. The people who are to blame drive up Hillside Road every day.

Oh wow, you actually got some basic facts right here.

Baby steps!

Reaction Score
What people? People that don't care that the AAC was killing our athletic department? Screw 'em.
I think maybe UConn was killing our Athletic Department. Honestly do you think if we had gone to the tournament in 2015, then again in 2016 and made a deep run in 17 when we allegedly had a top 10 recruiting class and if Diaco had followed up the bowl game with a conference championship challenge the next year, maybe built on that to become, ands it’s almost embarrassing to write this, Memphis or Temple, anybody would say the AAC was killing us? The problem wasn’t in our stars but in ourselves as the bard said. Ollie drove the hoop program off a cliff. Couldn’t identify talent if the all wore signs. Diaco could but unfortunately most of it was FCS talent. I didn’t love the AAC. Too spread out. If the Bic East football league was the 2nd school in each state the AAC was 3rd, but blaming it for the collapse of our athletic program is like blaming the bartender on the Titanic for the disaster. He didn’t help but the iceberg had a bit more to do with it. And fwiw our iceberg is now endangering the waters in Ann Arbor

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
CBS All Access may not Include the entire CBS Sport Network programming. It has HQ. May want to check.
As it turns out, I just signed up for All Access on Sunday. The website has a link to CBSSN but when you click on it, it asks for your cable provider. So I don't think it's a option.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You live out-of-state, you'll never really understand how much the AAC killed interest for anyone but the UConn FB lifer. The interest is flooding back now that we have freed our self. You're a businessman, why do you continue to ignore what the market is saying.

Reaction Score
I admit that this is working out much better than I thought it would which is a good thing. But now the pressure is squarely on Hurley’s shoulders. He needs to do more than the typical New Big East First weekend wipeout. He needs to make regular deep runs. Not every year but frequently enough because a few NIT appearances in a row and Gampel and the XL will be empty. Edsall needs to turn the corner too. 6 wins this year and regularly 7-8 with a win over a low level P5 will be crucial.

Reaction Score
It can simultaneously be true that the UConn AD made terrible decisions AND the AAC was an anchor around our necks.
This. And I would argue the AAC had a bigger negative effect on the program.

Just use Hurley as an example. Theres no way he comes here if we were staying the AAC. I know he was hired while in the AAC but now it's known that the Big East move was already in the works.

Reaction Score
UConn has to keep its eyes on the ultimate prize: getting into a P5 conference, such as B10 or ACC. Going to CBS Sports Network for FB can't hurt. But UConn men's and women's BB can't provide excuses this year. We hear enough of them from FB coach. Hopefully, we will go back to BB national championships or close to it, and have FB in top 20 sooner than later. If coaches and AD don't want excellence they need to be shown the door!

Reaction Score
No one called it an 8 figure deal. It was described as over 7 figures.
TheDrifter75 wrote, "Ok, I'm financially challenged but when I read over 7 figures for the 4 year deal I think 8 figures. So wouldn't that be at least 2.5 mil per year? Come on Yard break my heart and prove me wrong. If it's similar to the Mountain West deal and theirs is north of 3 mil a season per team I can't be that far off."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The jump in BB recruiting has proved the AAC was a bad long term solution. The TV deal is fine, better than the AAC deal.

As far aw SNY goes. 4-7 FB home games in Sept-Nov doesn't really move the needle.for them a they have the Mets most Saturdays in Sept and the Nets the rest of the time. A nice thing to have but its not the midweek programming filler that WBB is.

For CBSSN, filling an entire Saturday with CFB is a financial imperative. Depending on whose playing at home you are looking at UConn/Army/Navy filling the 12 and 330 slots and the MW at 7 and 10:30 most weeks with CUSA filling any gaps plus Thurs/Fri slots.

Different networks, different models.

Reaction Score
UConn has to keep its eyes on the ultimate prize: getting into a P5 conference, such as B10 or ACC. Going to CBS Sports Network for FB can't hurt. But UConn men's and women's BB can't provide excuses this year. We hear enough of them from FB coach. Hopefully, we will go back to BB national championships or close to it, and have FB in top 20 sooner than later. If coaches and AD don't want excellence they need to be shown the door!
There is only 1 stop on the train for UConn and it has to be B1G. BB will hold up it’s end in performance. They have been given the tools to succeed. Football hasn’t. The Indy move seems to have opened up a little more recruit interest, but We need to invest in a real staff. We were so close in year 1 of RE2 and ephed it up. He drove out SEC quality coaching talent and kept his IAA scrubs like Crocker. Set us back 2 years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Different networks, different models.

Yep and yet not many really gave this prospective proper due since we announced our departure from the AAC. It seems most of us ignored this difference.

Regardless - I'm very happy with the result.

Reaction Score
For where we are right now, this CBSSN deal is a good deal for UConn Football. A great deal? No, but a good deal. Our football stock has never been lower than the last few years and the indy jump initially looked like a death sentence. This move coupled with the P5 teams scheduled in the next several years gives the program some much-needed stability. It's a good step. Now they need to win. Winning cures all. Be competitive in games. WIN some games. Build a foundation back up. Get the fans back. Attract more & better recruits. Get UConn football back on the map again. Eventually our stock will rise and the better TV deals will emerge.

Reaction Score
I look at it a little differently but come to the same end result I think and it’s a positive.

football is dead, the administration doesn’t support it and they said so by joining a basketball conference. So what does that mean? They can’t have football be an albatross financially. And this deal helps. Same with the one and dones we are getting paid for to get destroyed by elite teams. If you are going to cast aside a program might as well try to get as much money as possible. This is definitely good in that regard.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
God, I hope Edsall didn't have that degree of input. I hope he had no degree of input.
Why, it's a good result. If Edsall was involved that just means that his input is more valuable than you give it credit for being. Isn't that a good thing?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The jump in BB recruiting has proved the AAC was a bad long term solution.
I agree that the AAC was a bad long term solution, but you can't point to the recruiting uptick as proof. When the coach changes and we're changing leagues at the same time, there's no way to tell what the bigger factor is. I've seen coach and conference mentioned by committed recruits. I think Coach Hurley would have righted us in the AAC as well, but I do think being in the Big East makes his sell easier.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Unless someone brings more revenue to the table than currently earned, there is no reason for a conference to add another school. Notre Dame will hold onto independence until they are totally boxed in. If anything, you could see less money from TV deals and ultimately contraction.

Reaction Score
Playing P5 schools and regional rivals destroys playing in the AAC. The head coaching job should now be much more enticing when it comes to replacing Edsall.

We're getting help from P5 schools. Even the greatest FBS programs. "Oh, we're never going to be invited into the P5!" Well, executives think differently of us than our own freaking fans. Calling for an end to the program several months ago.

Reaction Score
From reading his bio, he likely started at ESPN during the most exciting years in UConn sports' history, the early 90's. So, even though these contracts are business for him, maybe he's a Huskies fan.

At CBS since 2011, with MLB (years not stated so probably only a couple or three years), Six Flags for 6 years and ESPN for 12 years. So, if he was at MLB for 3 years that puts him at ESPN in 1990..............why wouldn't he be a fan of the Huskies?
I wouldn't be surprised if Cuse grads gave him crap abour Cornell. They are rivals in lacrosse.

Reaction Score
I think maybe UConn was killing our Athletic Department. Honestly do you think if we had gone to the tournament in 2015, then again in 2016 and made a deep run in 17 when we allegedly had a top 10 recruiting class and if Diaco had followed up the bowl game with a conference championship challenge the next year, maybe built on that to become, ands it’s almost embarrassing to write this, Memphis or Temple, anybody would say the AAC was killing us? The problem wasn’t in our stars but in ourselves as the bard said. Ollie drove the hoop program off a cliff. Couldn’t identify talent if the all wore signs. Diaco could but unfortunately most of it was FCS talent. I didn’t love the AAC. Too spread out. If the Bic East football league was the 2nd school in each state the AAC was 3rd, but blaming it for the collapse of our athletic program is like blaming the bartender on the Titanic for the disaster. He didn’t help but the iceberg had a bit more to do with it. And fwiw our iceberg is now endangering the waters in Ann Arbor
We couldn't recruit very well in football with the AAC schedule and against the footprint with the coaching staffs we've had.

Ollie destroyed all momentum we had going for basketball in the AAC.

No one could beat Geno.

Reaction Score
Unless someone brings more revenue to the table than currently earned, there is no reason for a conference to add another school. Notre Dame will hold onto independence until they are totally boxed in. If anything, you could see less money from TV deals and ultimately contraction.
I think a period of time of economic uncertainty might lead a conference to think out of the box. Why not add a university that brings some of the metro NYC region, some of New England. Advertisers like that kind of demographics on a cable channel. Maybe UConn will also reach elite status again in BB and even close to elite status in FB. The old rules may not apply.

Reaction Score
I think a period of time of economic uncertainty might lead a conference to think out of the box. Why not add a university that brings some of the metro NYC region, some of New England. Advertisers like that kind of demographics on a cable channel. Maybe UConn will also reach elite status again in BB and even close to elite status in FB. The old rules may not apply.
Being lumped in with historic programs (Army and Navy) for national television only helps in the perception of our program.

C

Chief00

If I were to guess SNY was motivated by their belief that they were the sole bidder and therefore could set the price. Let’s face it, football is not exactly setting the world on fire right now and viewership is uncertain. Locking into a relationship with UConn football is a futures bet. It’s only worth the risk if you can get it low enough.

I suspect the benefit of CBSSN deal, at least from Connecticut’s perspective, is more exposure than revenue than at this time. It is a statement to recruits and potential opponents that independence was a power move by Connecticut not a retreat. It’s a good deal and I’m glad we’ve got it. If we win and if our viewership is solid, then the next iteration will be worth more on a per game basis.
Agree, and we aren’t having conference games in FL and TX, so it will be more difficult for families of recruits in these target recruiting markets to see their kids. So at least they can catch some games on TV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom