Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN)

Reaction Score
He’s pretty frank - but certainly not off base with his take on the CBS deal. Basically the pressure is now on Randy to make us competitive on this new national platform.
Also just noticed this: Tennessee game, an away game, will be on CBSSN. Looks like the SEC took those rights. Wonder if CBS paid them. But yes you’re correct. AD David Benedict has put this program in nothing but a position to succeed. I thought our recruiting class last year was good. I think it’ll end up being good again this year at some point. We just need to get to becoming a 6 win team.

Reaction Score
I deal with numbers for a living for over 20 years. Nobody would ever say "over" seven figures to reference seven figures. They would simply say "in the" seven figures or just say "seven figures."

Even your reference point link doesn't use the preposition "over" in the examples. Its a mistake to use the preposition "over" as it leads to the confusion we have here.

As for the $2 million, the MTW is getting over $3MM per school per year for a combined package of football and basketball. Now their basketball can't be worth anything at all, so its really $3MM for football per annum. So unless there is something missing, its hard to say this is on par with the MTW.

Oh my god

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that some people were still defending the AAC. Joining that league was catastrophic for UConn athletics. There is no "but" about it.
Nobody’s defending the AAC. More like owning up to our role in the *tshow that happened when we were in it. If we would have been top 2-3 in football & basketball on a regular basis, we would probably still be in that league especially if Ollie kept winning after Bazz.
Good thing is we get to move on and rewrite the ending.

Reaction Score
He’s pretty frank - but certainly not off base with his take on the CBS deal. Basically the pressure is now on Randy to make us competitive on this new national platform. Got to be a 5 to 8 win team.
When?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nobody’s defending the AAC. More like owning up to our role in the *tshow that happened when we were in it. If we would have been top 2-3 in football & basketball on a regular basis, we would probably still be in that league especially if Ollie kept winning after Bazz.
Good thing is we get to move on and rewrite the ending.
Lol, so you don't think the craptastic 12 year TV deal that paid us less for media rights for all sports on a net basis than the Big East gets just for basketball played a role in our decision making?

Okay then.

Reaction Score
You live out-of-state, you'll never really understand how much the AAC killed interest for anyone but the UConn FB lifer. The interest is flooding back now that we have freed our self. You're a businessman, why do you continue to ignore what the market is saying.

The "market" will be measured by the revenue from ticket sales for football. And we may not learn anything this fall for health reasons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

"Though UConn football serves as a model for social distancing at sporting events, it’s crucial to get fans back to Rentschler Field down the road."

[chuckle]

Reaction Score
"Though UConn football serves as a model for social distancing at sporting events, it’s crucial to get fans back to Rentschler Field down the road."

[chuckle]

Boo. My wife had the line first. Anyone can now copy it.

Reaction Score
Help me understand this guy's take:
"UConn is looking at a situation where they’ll be fifth in the pecking order behind two conferences and two service academies (and you’re naive if you think otherwise).

But hey, it’s linear television! It’s not streaming! That’s what UConn wants, right? It makes sense for UConn to prioritize its basketball programs over its football program because of the comparative success of both of those teams, but it really does seem like football was sold down the river by the athletic department with this deal, unless the rights fee is beyond the low seven figures."

That is Awful Announcing. Clown college in terms of writers.

Reaction Score
CBSSN kind of sucked when we could have been playing on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. Now that we were looking at ESPN+ or flosports or regional networks, CBSSN is great lol
Nah. CBSSN has better coverage than ESPNU. Plus, live studio show. Not sure how often UConn was on ESPN or ESPN2.

Reaction Score
The noon and 3:30 slots will have tough competition for national eyeballs.

The 3:30 slot has been dominated by the SEC Game of the Week....

Last season..Notre Dame-Georgia, Florida-LSU, Auburn-Florida, Ole Miss-Arkansas, South Carolina-Alabama, South Carolina-North Carolina, Mississippi State-Auburn.

Fox has ramped up their Pregame on The Big Noon Saturday show....

This year’s college football season has looked a little different on television with the advent of Fox’s Big Noon Saturday being added to the calendar. Before the season, Fox made the unique decision to shift their biggest game of the week outside of primetime, and even outside of the traditional 3:30 PM ET slot all the way back to the beginning of the college football day at noon ET. The noon kickoffs have included Michigan-Wisconsin, Texas-Oklahoma, Ohio State-Wisconsin, and will feature the huge Penn State-Ohio State matchup in a couple weeks.

Fox is giving Big Noon Saturday the big game treatment with their top broadcast team of Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt, and the Big Noon Kickoff pregame show will even travel to Columbus for a College Gameday-esque on-site pregame show.

Reaction Score
Probably subscribe to Hulu/Youtube TV. I currently pay $55 per month for Hulu Live TV. (Also have to pay for internet on top of that)
I switch to YouTube in February. It had my CBSSN. $50 per month. It also has MLB and NBA Network, something Hulu does not have. Also, FS1 and FS2 for Big East hoops!

Reaction Score

The 3:30 slot has been dominated by the SEC Game of the Week....

Last season..Notre Dame-Georgia, Florida-LSU, Auburn-Florida, Ole Miss-Arkansas, South Carolina-Alabama, South Carolina-North Carolina, Mississippi State-Auburn.

Fox has ramped up their Pregame on The Big Noon Saturday show....

This year’s college football season has looked a little different on television with the advent of Fox’s Big Noon Saturday being added to the calendar. Before the season, Fox made the unique decision to shift their biggest game of the week outside of primetime, and even outside of the traditional 3:30 PM ET slot all the way back to the beginning of the college football day at noon ET. The noon kickoffs have included Michigan-Wisconsin, Texas-Oklahoma, Ohio State-Wisconsin, and will feature the huge Penn State-Ohio State matchup in a couple weeks.

Fox is giving Big Noon Saturday the big game treatment with their top broadcast team of Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt, and the Big Noon Kickoff pregame show will even travel to Columbus for a College Gameday-esque on-site pregame show.

lol I know for a fact that Georgia-Notre Dame and UF-LSU were both night games last year.

Reaction Score
Prior to the announcement of yesterday, my speculation was that UCONN was using its NBE affiliation to negotiate with FOX. In this scenario, the Huskies would be relegated to filler positioning on FX1 or FX2 & be "Stuck" playing on Wednesday or Friday nights as in its early Big East football iteration.
Not sure what FX1 or FX2 is.

Reaction Score
The school is contending that this contract doesn't actually involve UConn, and is in fact between IMG and CBS Sports. Reading the IMG contract, the school is paid a minimum of $6 million by IMG annually (goes up a bit each year), and gets a very high percentage of profits (100% in the first couple of years) beyond the minimum. It looks like it's mostly a dodge to avoid having to disclose the value of the football deal.

Reaction Score

It’s less of a concern competing for “national eyeballs” against higher profile teams and more of a desire for a national distribution network for visiting team and player’s families and known game times for fans.

Reaction Score
lol I know for a fact that Georgia-Notre Dame and UF-LSU were both night games last year.

yeah...I hit "predicted" games by accident..LSU played Alabama at 3:30. But...the SEC 3:30 slot is tough competition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame at Georgia was CBS lone primetime game of the season. UF/LSU was on ESPN.

Reaction Score
It’s less of a concern competing for “national eyeballs” against higher profile teams and more of a desire for a national distribution network for visiting team and player’s families and known game times for fans.

That makes sense...visibility is targeted.

Reaction Score
The school is contending that this contract doesn't actually involve UConn, and is in fact between IMG and CBS Sports.

I read that Learfield IMG helped facilitate the deal, I haven’t seen that this contract is directly between IMG and CBSSN? Have you seen something else?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame at Georgia was CBS lone primetime game of the season. UF/LSU was on ESPN.

Yep...the CBS 3:30 slot that pitted #1 vs #2....LSU vs Alabama...was the game that killed the slot on ratings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom