OT: - Machado to the Padres 10 Yr/$300M | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Machado to the Padres 10 Yr/$300M

Reaction Score
Giambi's deal was arguably great IMO. His Yankee statistics: 653 G, .260/.404/.521 209 HR, 145 wRC+, 22.0 rWAR, 21.8 fWAR... pretty damn good
They signed him to be a superstar, not a .254 hitter.

Reaction Score
And while injuries are part of the argument against signing guys long term, Giambi had the whole issue with the random pituitary tumor in 2004 where he played only 80 games and put up 0 fWAR. That's pretty unpredictable, as opposed to Jacoby Ellsbury injuring himself and missing a whole season with some random ailment.
Not so random with the pituitary tumor, that's from abusing roids.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Right, because a lot of other 90s-00s sluggers have missed time with pituitary issues?

The most common cause of a pituitary tumor is the usage of synthetic steroids. And seeing as we know he injected roids, @superjohn is probably right.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The most common cause of a pituitary tumor is the usage of synthetic steroids. And seeing as we know he injected roids, @superjohn is probably right.

Right and Manny was taking fertility drugs to help him with his pregnancy.

I'm not denying Giambi took steroids. He absolutely did. So did most the league I'd bet.

If you want to give me a list of all the other ballplayers from the steroid era that missed time with a pituitary issue, then I'll retract my statement. If not, I'm going to stick with the fact that it was a pretty unforeseen issue for an MLB player.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not denying Giambi took steroids. He absolutely did. So did most the league I'd bet.

If you want to give me a list of all the other ballplayers from the steroid era that missed time with a pituitary issue, then I'll retract my statement. If not, I'm going to stick with the fact that it was a pretty unforeseen issue for an MLB player.

It's not that using steroids automatically or normally results in pituitary tumors. It's that when one develops a pituitary tumor, it's most likely because of steroids.

Definitely not "random", which is the point I was making.

It's like saying such and such player missed time because of 'random' lip cancer. Never mind that he chewed tobacco his whole life. And of course, not every guy who dips gets lip cancer.

Reaction Score
a .925ops is pretty freaking good.

Some people are judging players by batting average and rbis. It’s a nice contrast to some really good knowledge dropping by other posters here.

It’s like you can point out how good a hitters OPS is and note their WAR, and a response will be, “well he never had more than 100 RBI’s and hit above .300”

Reaction Score

I've always said I think half the league was on roids. Other players not getting pituitary tumors from steroids has nothing to do with Giambi getting a pituitary tumor from steroids, that's not how it works.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's not that using steroids automatically or normally results in pituitary tumors. It's that when one develops a pituitary tumor, it's most likely because of steroids.

Definitely not "random", which is the point I was making.

It's like saying such and such player missed time because of 'random' lip cancer. Never mind that he chewed tobacco his whole life. And of course, not every guy who dips gets lip cancer.

Ok does "rare" work better for you?

My point was that he didn't miss time due to hamstring pulls, or twisted ankles.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've always said I think half the league was on roids. Other players not getting pituitary tumors from steroids has nothing to do with Giambi getting a pituitary tumor from steroids, that's not how it works.

Sure. The specific ailment wasn't common among MLB players. That's why I'm saying it's pretty unforeseen as opposed to normal wear and tear.

But again you guys have made your point that in a league without a salary cap you'd rather your team not spend big in order to pad the owners pockets.

Reaction Score
You are judging worth on average? It ain’t the 1950s, there are advanced
stats nowadays.
He is a professional hitter and had a great eye but .254, 30 homers, 85 rbi while being a bad fielder, and slow as hell never blew me away. I'm a Yankees fan and watched most of his games. He had a couple of great years but I suspect the Yankees thought they would get a little more from the MVP over the course of his contract.

Reaction Score
Sure. The specific ailment wasn't common among MLB players. That's why I'm saying it's pretty unforeseen as opposed to normal wear and tear.

But again you guys have made your point that in a league without a salary cap you'd rather your team not spend big in order to pad the owners pockets.
I'm saying it wasn't random, it was self-inflicted. He got the tumor because he was juicing. If he was walking down 161st street and got injured when he was hit by a car that jumped the sidewalk it would be random.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Per Heyman, Bryce to Phillies

Very reluctantly. lol

Money finally won out.

Phillies screwed up with cutch at this point.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Phillies screwed up with cutch at this point.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Cutch ends up having a better year.

I'm looking forward to Philly fans crushing Harper's will to live once he starts underperforming.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Cutch ends up having a better year.

I'm looking forward to Philly fans crushing Harper's will to live once he starts underperforming.

They certainly didn't learn their lesson with that horrible Ryan Howard deal.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They certainly didn't learn their lesson with that horrible Ryan Howard deal.

Totally different situations. Although the “old” player skills issue is still there.

Harper is younger than Howard st the time of the deal too. I think Howard made his debut close to harpers age now.

Reaction Score
1551478410794.png

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just saw some outtakes from the Harper presser.

That dude is nuts. It seems him and Boras were so hellbent on beating Stanton’s total deal that they are stuck explaining why he wanted a 13 year deal.

He claimed to be upset by hearing he wanted to go to New York. Yeah buddy you said that.

He is clearly mad at Washington for not wanting him. They offered him a better contract than he got from Phili. He passed on it and went to FA.

These teams are so flush with cash it can be easily overcome but this guy is a complete nightmare to have around.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just saw some outtakes from the Harper presser.

That dude is nuts. It seems him and Boras were so hellbent on beating Stanton’s total deal that they are stuck explaining why he wanted a 13 year deal.

He claimed to be upset by hearing he wanted to go to New York. Yeah buddy you said that.

He is clearly mad at Washington for not wanting him. They offered him a better contract than he got from Phili. He passed on it and went to FA.

These teams are so flush with cash it can be easily overcome but this guy is a complete nightmare to have around.

Wait, I thought he passed the stat guy test. Who cares about his mental make-up? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom