Luke Murray Hired as Assistant Coach | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Luke Murray Hired as Assistant Coach

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I posted this a few days ago, but it didn't get much traction because of the derailment... might help answer your question.

---

FWIW... these are all the recruits from 2022-2024 that I see in Murray's follows on Instagram. If nothing else, it makes it clear that he is going to expand our recruiting footprint into the mid-west and south... and that he's probably focusing on 2023, outside of getting us back in the mix with Karaban and Filipowski. Seems to have relationships with mid-west EYBL teams, particularly brad beal elite. I may have missed a few, but I think it's fairly complete.

Anyone know if we stand a chance with any of these 4*/5* guys?

2022:

Brandon Miller - #14 5* SF from TN (was recruiting him at Ville)
Jalen Washington - #20 5* PF from Indiana (Murray Primary recruiter at 'Ville)
AJ Casey #21 4* top 30 2022 (Murray noted as his primary recruiter for Louisville)... from illinois.
Kyle Filipowski - #58 4* PF/C from MA
Alex Karaban - #73 4* SF/PF from NH

Dillon Mitchell - 3* SF from Florida
Reid Bailey - Unranked? Goes to Brewster.

2023:

Akil Watson a 5* top 20 2023. From NY.
Kanaan Carlyle - 5* 2023 from Georgia
Mack Mgbako - 5* SF from Jersey
Taylor Bowen - high 4*/5* SF from Newport RI
Taison Chatman - High 4*/5* from MN
Nick Smith Jr. - High 4* SG from Arkansas.
Chance Westry - High 4* combo-guard from PA (goes to school in CA)
Jalen Hooks 4* SF from Indiana
Tre White - 4* SF, 2022 from CA
Kaleb Glenn - 4* SF from Louisville
Ty Rodgers - 4* SF from MI
Aaron Bradshaw - 4* C from NJ
Jeremy Fears Jr. - 4* PG from Indiana
Maki Johnson 3* CG from WV. Only ranked by 247.
Reid Ducharme -SG/SF unranked 2023
Gavin Griffiths Unranked 2023. Goes to KO.
TJ Power - Unranked. From MA.

2024:

Naas Cunningham - 5* SF
Related note, anyone have a good way to stream eybl games?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I posted this a few days ago, but it didn't get much traction because of the derailment... might help answer your question.

---

FWIW... these are all the recruits from 2022-2024 that I see in Murray's follows on Instagram. If nothing else, it makes it clear that he is going to expand our recruiting footprint into the mid-west and south... and that he's probably focusing on 2023, outside of getting us back in the mix with Karaban and Filipowski. Seems to have relationships with mid-west EYBL teams, particularly brad beal elite. I may have missed a few, but I think it's fairly complete.

2022:

AJ Casey #21 4* top 30 2022 (Murray noted as his primary recruiter for Louisville)... from illinois.

2023:

2024:

Naas Cunningham - 5* SF
I was all set to link back to your earlier post of this info. Instead, I'll repeat, "Thanks, seriously."

As to the "derailment," I'll repeat that I don't identify as a Chater, and find the "black helicopter conspiracy" moniker an absurd mix of overwrought self-agrandizement and needless/futile defensiveness. The frowny face posts, and the Likes they generate, simply present a better argument on a topic of dubious value. They also amuse me.

One would think that a well-connected insider would concentrate on creating value for this community in a manner more like this quoted post...even enhancing @husky429 's contribution by commenting on the status of recruitment efforts of the dozens of prospects that Luke Murray has been identified as following.

By logic alone, it strikes me as a suboptimal choice to concentrate on rebutting one's prankish detractors instead of joining forces to advance the cause of those who welcome the new coach and are excited about what he brings to the program.

If the purported lead derailer were contributing on topic, I doubt that those who doubt him would have much to say in criticism of him.

Reaction Score

---

2022:

2023:

2024:

Naas Cunningham - 5* SF

Thanks for sharing and doing the work to identify these players.

Reaction Score
I was all set to link back to your earlier post of this info. Instead, I'll repeat, "Thanks, seriously."

As to the "derailment," I'll repeat that I don't identify as a Chater, and find the "black helicopter conspiracy" moniker an absurd mix of overwrought self-agrandizement and needless/futile defensiveness. The frowny face posts, and the Likes they generate, simply present a better argument on a topic of dubious value. They also amuse me.

One would think that a well-connected insider would concentrate on creating value for this community in a manner more like this quoted post...even enhancing @husky429 's contribution by commenting on the status of recruitment efforts of the dozens of prospects that Luke Murray has been identified as following.

By logic alone, it strikes me as a suboptimal choice to concentrate on rebutting one's prankish detractors instead of joining forces to advance the cause of those who welcome the new coach and are excited about what he brings to the program.

If the purported lead derailer were contributing on topic, I doubt that those who doubt him would have much to say in criticism of him.
Let me start by saying English is a 2nd language for me. I was wondering about the readability of this post, so I ran it through a calculator. For the record I was impressed.

Your results​

Readability Scores:​

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease:51.4
New Dale Chall Readability:6.1
Spache Readability Score:5

Readability Grades:​

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level:11.5
Gunning Fog Index:15.2
Coleman-Liau Index:11.5
SMOG Index Score:12
Automated Readability Index:11.3

Reaction Score
Here's the Luke Murray introductory press conference where those quotes are coming from.

Haven't really seen his face before. Looks like his dad.

How sick of questions about his dad do you think this guy is?

He is a great speaker. Better than any of our current coaches--sorry Hurley, lol. I would imagine the acting classes as a kid are paying off, and will pay off even more when he's the face of a program as a HC.

Kind of interesting that he knew he wanted to be a COACH at 12-years-old. Most kids dream of being a player, and settle for coaching when their career is over (or never starts if you're short and lazy like me).

Some of his questions/answers...

What makes a good recruiter?: Diligence, dialed into individual players and their backgrounds including coaches and family members. Wants to know an individual player's values and how they need to be recruited individually.

Why UConn?: Experience with Tom and Hurley in his career. Watched UConn closely over the past few years. Appreciation for our players, intensity, effort, identity, and how the program has grown. Ready to work with players to continue to improvement, and bring in more great players.

What made him connect with Hurley over the years?: They communicate and respect each other. Love the way he coaches and inspires. Hurley brings a "high school mentality" in terms of being invested in relationship building with his players.

Are you sick of hearing about your dad in interviews?: Proud of his dad and his accomplishments. Doesn't have a lot to do with his career at this point. The questions are tiresome--everyone already knows it.

Why did things end at Louisville?: Came as a surprise. He was looking into head coach jobs at a couple schools, but that didn't work out. (sounds like he's a 2 and done, 3 and done guy for us... Mack firing him definitely set his career back a couple years or 3)

What role will you have in player development?: Working through that with Hurley and co. now. Worked with perimeter players before this at Ville and Xavier. Expects to have more "positional blending" this season with guards/bigs. Expects Moore and him to spend time to the bigs.

Have you talked to the players?: Yes. Everyone individually so far. Sanogo, Gaffney, and Whaley are on campus. Spent a lot of time with Whaley already (how can you not LOVE this kid???).

How old were you when you started developing AAU relationships?: He had the Bob gibbons recruiting reports sent to him as a kid in HS. Went to schools and aau in PA/NYC all over as he was in HS and college, even while he was still playing. (wow... this guy LOVES ball)

Is your dad gonna go to games?: Yes. Apparently his dad particularly has a good relationship with Tom.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying English is a 2nd language for me. I was wondering about the readability of this post, so I ran it through a calculator. For the record I was impressed.

Your results​

Readability Scores:​

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease:51.4
New Dale Chall Readability:6.1
Spache Readability Score:5

Readability Grades:​

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level:11.5
Gunning Fog Index:15.2
Coleman-Liau Index:11.5
SMOG Index Score:12
Automated Readability Index:11.3
With scores like that, I can see that a person could be favorably or unfavorably impressed. I won't ask which applies to you.

Simplicity is a virtue. I fail there frequently. Or, Sometimes I don't care.

My first & final paragraphs were the essential points I wanted to make.

The press conference info in the most recent posts more interesting to me.

Reaction Score

Hans..Well-Put. Other than your misspelling of aggrandizement. .But you probably already knew that.. LOL

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

---

2022:

2023:

2024:

Naas Cunningham - 5* SF
Chance Westry ?

Reaction Score
Chance Westry ?

Random observation Akil Watson the #14 player in 2023 is from the same fairly small town (30,000 people) as Mac Etienne. Weird coincidence. Kind of like Ellington CT producing 3 D1 prospects in 4 years. Just odd.

Jersey and the northeast is LOADED with talent in 2023. Only 36 prospects listed in 247, but 4 are from NJ and NY. Another 4 from New England or mid-atlantic. Another 3 from the DMV area.

Reaction Score
Favorably so?
Not really.

I'd liked what @UCfor3 had written, and intended to quote it was more representative of my overall point of view than your strange misinterpretations and misrepresentations. And then I read your Reply to what he'd written.

"Quite frankly"®, I couldn't grasp how you came to relate that post to me.

I'm starting to think that I could just start riffing on some semi-random gobbledygook, and it wouldn't have an appreciably different impact on how you'd respond or how much sense it would make.

Functionally speaking, I'm grateful that your posts don't bother me per se. If they did, they would probably bother me a lot. I feel badly for those who are bothered by your posts and persona. I have the far easier path of mostly saying, "Nope you've read me wrong again. "
You feel bad, not badly. That’s my only quibble with what you’ve said.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You feel bad, not badly. That’s my only quibble with what you’ve said.
I vacilate on the verb "to feel" when it is descriptive of an emotional state or health, rather than an assessment of how capably a person exercises their sense of touch. Does an adjective or adverb apply? I think there should be variance, but have developed the impression that the adverb is s 'rule' to follow. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be so. If not, I share your quibble with the English language.

I certainly have great fondness for James Brown singing, "I feel good."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I vacilate on the verb "to feel" when it is descriptive of an emotional state or health, rather than an assessment of how capably a person exercises their sense of touch. Does an adjective or adverb apply? I think there should be variance, but have developed the impression that the adverb is s 'rule' to follow. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be so. If not, I share your quibble with the English language.

I certainly have great fondness for James Brown singing, "I feel good."

Shouldn't James feels "well?"

Reaction Score
I know it’s been mentioned in the past but do we feel ok with the breakdown of the coaches skill set wise? It seems we have all guard/wing oriented coaches with Tom being a Jack of all trades but no big specific coach. Is that going to be a tough sell with the big men recruits we are eyeing in recruiting or does that not make much of a difference?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Shouldn't James feels "well?"
It’s possible that James was so attuned to the world that he the benign intentions of all mankind. If so, then he would feel “good.”

Reaction Score
I know it’s been mentioned in the past but do we feel ok with the breakdown of the coaches skill set wise? It seems we have all guard/wing oriented coaches with Tom being a Jack of all trades but no big specific coach. Is that going to be a tough sell with the big men recruits we are eyeing in recruiting or does that not make much of a difference?

We have 1 true big on the roster. Most kids we're going to recruit as bigs (everyone but Clingan in 2022) is going to want to develop a face up skillset. It's a concern, but not a major one imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom