Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will grant you the raw tape was not overly impressive. But more recent tape shows a stronger, more explosive player. Read the quotes from the Brewster head coach. He directly attributes winning championships to this kid's contributions. Winning trumps sizzle for me.
Like I said I don't mind him on the team but prefer he would be a backup to a more talented guy. He could challenge the more talented guy to perform better by working hard in practice. It is sad we are missing on all the top guys we want at our positions of needs.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Like I said I don't mind him on the team but prefer he would be a backup to a more talented guy.
Do you think maybe you should watch him play first?

EDIT: Also, to be clear: As long as this guy is as great a screener as he's billed as, and as great a defensive rebounder as he's billed as, and as good a paint enforcer as he's billed as, IDGAF if he never blocks a shot or scores a bucket that's not a put-back.

Great screeners are so, so important and so, so underrated in the modern game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Do you think maybe you should watch him play first?

EDIT: Also, to be clear: As long as this guy is as great a screener as he's billed as, and as great a defensive rebounder as he's billed as, and as good a paint enforcer as he's billed as, IDGAF if he never blocks a shot or scores a bucket that's not a put-back.

Great screeners are so, so important and so, so underrated in the modern game.
ollie wants to set screen after screen after screen. he also wants a guy who can pick and pop

Reaction Score
Nothing against the kid I just prefer more athletic bigs in the style of play I like to watch. He looked really slow in his offensive moves in the raw tape which I don't want to see after having to watch AB for 4 years. LOL!

If this kid can come in and defensively rebound and set good picks than I'm fine with him on the bench. I just hope we can find a more talented starter is my hope.
If Ollie's recruiting trends hold we wont need athletic, offensive juggernaut big men. This is the exact type of big man we need. One that doesn't need shots or touches but will do all the dirty work(set screens, rebound, be an enforcer, leadership)

Reaction Score
ESPN has him as a 4 star and he is 6'10" 255 and hasn't met our trainer yet. He could be a 275 lb granite wall by the time he plays. A granite wall that can hold position and make a 1 foot layup. Have we had that anytime recently?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
People get too enamored with athleticism and things like that. The kid has great size and a great feel for the game, from what I can tell.

He also has a skill set that shows he has/can develop important offensive skills and moves.

Being upset about this, in my honest opinion, reeks of not knowing enough about what makes good TEAMS.

Sometimes, our collection of talent doesn't meet those standards, and I think he and many others this offseason fit that bill.

Reaction Score
I love the Brewster kids. Theyre getting some terrific coaching up there.

Looks to me like he's a bit awkward finishing outside on the pnr. Has the size, but not the touch. Definitely plays hard. My guess is the coaches want him at 250-ish but to tone up a bit and add muscle. He's a little pudgy and slow.

Nice screening, which will be SO important for the elite guards were bringing in.

I like the hustle, stance on D usually, and has obviously improved si he's working hard.

Also a few REALLY high level passes in there. Obviously has a good iq.

He will really important in those matchups with plodders who eat you alive with size and skill a la gonzaga. If he can develop some skill HE could be the nighmare for the athletic fliers instead of vice versa like weve been seeing lately.

Im still expecting pf and center ny committee, but he seems a decent puzzle piece to add.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Blurb from ESPN...

Strengths:
Kisunas is a rugged and physical post presence who throws his body around and embraces contact on both ends of the floor. He's a very well-schooled and savvy screener and also a good passer who rewards cutters. He has good hands, polished footwork, and the ability to turn either shoulder when able to establish deep position in the post. Defensively, he is effective guarding the block and an enforcer of sorts in the lane who punishes drivers, makes good use of his fouls, and rebounds his area. Will also occasionally knock people from SMU unconscious.

Weaknesses:
He doesn't have a ton of lift in the lane, isn't a floor spacer offensively, and probably most comfortable as a complimenting piece offensively. He's much more of an enforcer in the lane than rim protector on the defensive end. Offensively, he's not much of a scoring threat beyond six feet or so and isn't an overly quick or instinctive finisher either.

Bottom Line:
His physicality, toughness, screening, post defense, and even his ability to pass, can impact the game at any level and so he can definitely be a valuable role player. What he isn't though is a volume scorer or dynamic athlete around the rim.

He's a four-star center who goes 6-10, 254 and he'll be here four years.

Perfect.

Reaction Score
I don't recall him at the line much last year at Brewster, but 16 of 24 from the line in the 7 game Euro championships including a 6 for 6 in one game and 5 of 7 in another. Suggests more that he doesn't shoot vs he can't shoot. I also love the intangibles of anchoring the middle on a 33-0 National Champion, and playing important minutes in the post for teams that advanced to high finishes in Euro play. Coupling his team achievements, with his statements admiring UConn Championships, and his statements oriented to winning, I think we have added a great foundational piece to the program. With Sid we have 2 of the 5 starters on that 33-0 team, (down from 3 of the 5). With all our wing athletes, I hadn't been thinking about Carlton and Lucas on the court at the same time until somebody posted that thought. I find that intriguing. Also amusing that a ESPN 4* ranking will influence how some posters will view this signing vs a couple days ago.
Love this post Ricker. Smart commentary. There's a reason he is the center on these teams and it starts with his basketball IQ. Teamwork, unselfish play, energy and willingness to perform all the fundamentals of the center position. Well coached, mobile, big and physical, sure handed, excellent passing, can finish either hand in a variety of ways. Has a real feel for the game from his international experience. The center position at Uconn just got way more functional. Looking forward to seeing Cobb's game also and Carlton's too. All 3 of them really insert a lot of power into the paint.

Reaction Score
Screening is a crucial skill, there's no question. It's something the program has been lacking for quite some time - Brimah was a terrible screener, and even when we won the national championship, our best pure screener was probably Olander who as a DNP a lot of the time. My recollection was that Okwandu was very useful in that respect during the 2011 run, but I'm a little more fuzzy on that.

I do think, though, that the value of screening is negated some without the shooting to complement it. You'd much prefer somebody like Giffey at that spot (he was a good screener, too, now that I think of it) even if he doesn't fit the mode of a traditional center. Basketball in general is moving away from that prototype (granted, UNC and Gonzaga did it the old-fashioned way, so it isn't as if the true center has gone extinct), and while I'm happy to have one Kisunas on the roster, I had hoped that we had filled some of that void with Cobb.

Our recent recruiting philosophy seems to signal a departure from the Facey/Nolan/Brimah days. In fact, if there were a competition to find the player that was most different from Brimah, Ollie probably won it with this addition. That is both good and bad, but I do think coaches can fall into the trap of over-correcting mistakes and I think the idea of the hulk playing center for us is a lot more appealing now in light of what we have seen than it would be in a different context.

My hope moving forward is that Diarra can represent a hybrid of UConn centers of past, that he can bring the versatility of Giffey defensively with the motor of an Adrien and the shot blocking skills of Brimah. There can be danger in moving from one extreme to the other and while I don't think Kisunas himself changes the tenor of the system that drastically, there appears to be a pattern developing in our recruiting efforts that I'd prefer to see steered back in the other direction.

Reaction Score
Nothing against the kid I just prefer more athletic bigs in the style of play I like to watch. He looked really slow in his offensive moves in the raw tape which I don't want to see after having to watch AB for 4 years. LOL!

If this kid can come in and defensively rebound and set good picks than I'm fine with him on the bench. I just hope we can find a more talented starter is my hope.

My hope is they both turn out to be very good players, like them both. I don't see more athleticism from Josh at all, would call them fairly equal in that regard. Both play on the ground for the most part and I think Kisunas may have a better feel around the rim at this point on offense. Will take both some time to get used to the speed but hopefully both adjust accordingly. Lots of kids who we hope can impact the team, Whaley, Cobb for year and Diarra won't allow us to sleep on them either, it's a good spot to be in.

Reaction Score
Screening is a crucial skill, there's no question. It's something the program has been lacking for quite some time - Brimah was a terrible screener, and even when we won the national championship, our best pure screener was probably Olander who as a DNP a lot of the time. My recollection was that Okwandu was very useful in that respect during the 2011 run, but I'm a little more fuzzy on that.

I do think, though, that the value of screening is negated some without the shooting to complement it. You'd much prefer somebody like Giffey at that spot (he was a good screener, too, now that I think of it) even if he doesn't fit the mode of a traditional center. Basketball in general is moving away from that prototype (granted, UNC and Gonzaga did it the old-fashioned way, so it isn't as if the true center has gone extinct), and while I'm happy to have one Kisunas on the roster, I had hoped that we had filled some of that void with Cobb.

Our recent recruiting philosophy seems to signal a departure from the Facey/Nolan/Brimah days. In fact, if there were a competition to find the player that was most different from Brimah, Ollie probably won it with this addition. That is both good and bad, but I do think coaches can fall into the trap of over-correcting mistakes and I think the idea of the hulk playing center for us is a lot more appealing now in light of what we have seen than it would be in a different context.

My hope moving forward is that Diarra can represent a hybrid of UConn centers of past, that he can bring the versatility of Giffey defensively with the motor of an Adrien and the shot blocking skills of Brimah. There can be danger in moving from one extreme to the other and while I don't think Kisunas himself changes the tenor of the system that drastically, there appears to be a pattern developing in our recruiting efforts that I'd prefer to see steered back in the other direction.

Not sure what pattern in particular you are looking for - you would prefer the Nolan/Facey/Brimah pattern or the direction they are going? There's no denying they have a ring and had an impact on that banner but none were very good players for more than a few games each, timing is a wonderful thing. They ran with Bazz and companies amazing championship run, played their parts (not Facey) no denying that. But when Bazz left we saw these guys for what they are/were, not very good basketball players. Not at all fundamentally sound and not able to learn, grow their skills due to lack of ability to take the work they did to game day.

Guess we're not sure of the "pattern" the staff has right now in all reality we've seen nothing but videos. Not sure of Whatley, Diarra, Cobb, Carlton and now Kisunas or what they will bring to the table. I will say this, if any or all of them are wiling to get better and can do just that the pattern is exactly what I am looking for. If they are smart kids, willing to put the time in to improve and know how to play basketball that's what I am looking for. I am through with people who are unbelievably athletic, can block shots but don't get better at anything else while driving you crazy game after game making stupid plays. 2.5 blocked shots a game mean very little if they can't pass, screen, rebound, guard the post or learn when to help.

So all in all I'm not sure I like the pattern but I like what I see regarding the skills of these kids as well as the fundamentals they show in understanding the game. Improvement is needed no doubt, but they seemed to able to be coached and that's a pattern we need more than anything. Would love a Thabeet again but they're going to Kentucky and Duke. But our 4 year guys can have just as much impact so great job to the staff, there will be a couple jewels in this group at least.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think they're over-reacting or moving away from a Brimah-Fscey "pattern" -- rather they are trying to fill out the roster with complementary players who can play when the matchup is right even if they're not good enough to get all the minutes. Center was the weak spot on the roster, they had a short widebody in Eric Cobb and needed someone with length. A long shotblocker would have been nice but a long heady player is good too. Kisunas just may be good enough to get all the minutes, we'll see, but he definitely adds something the roster lacked.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Blurb from ESPN...

Strengths:
Kisunas is a rugged and physical post presence who throws his body around and embraces contact on both ends of the floor. He's a very well-schooled and savvy screener and also a good passer who rewards cutters. He has good hands, polished footwork, and the ability to turn either shoulder when able to establish deep position in the post. Defensively, he is effective guarding the block and an enforcer of sorts in the lane who punishes drivers, makes good use of his fouls, and rebounds his area. Will also occasionally knock people from SMU unconscious.

Weaknesses:
He doesn't have a ton of lift in the lane, isn't a floor spacer offensively, and probably most comfortable as a complimenting piece offensively. He's much more of an enforcer in the lane than rim protector on the defensive end. Offensively, he's not much of a scoring threat beyond six feet or so and isn't an overly quick or instinctive finisher either.

Bottom Line:
His physicality, toughness, screening, post defense, and even his ability to pass, can impact the game at any level and so he can definitely be a valuable role player. What he isn't though is a volume scorer or dynamic athlete around the rim.

Perfect.

That scouting report reads almost like the exact polar opposite of Brimah.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Like I said I don't mind him on the team but prefer he would be a backup to a more talented guy. He could challenge the more talented guy to perform better by working hard in practice. It is sad we are missing on all the top guys we want at our positions of needs.
I prefer the guy who's playing best to play. If Kisunas is helping the offense hum and is doing a good job on defense, he will play. Period. I'm not saying don't try for someone like Shittu, but this kid seems legit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Blurb from ESPN...

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

Perfect.

Even ESPN doesn't know how to spell "complement"? Jeez.

But yeah, I like this get.

Reaction Score
I don't like when we pull out some last UConn player as a comparable ... all the time

Having said that ...

If you gave me Kisunas and Carlton as a substitute for Olander and Nolan. DONE DEAL.

lol

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hey, neither can score outside of 6 feet, so there's that.

True, but Brimah did have a decent touch from 10-12 ft. I bet he nailed them in practice, but was just so lost during games that nothing worked. jmo

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
True, but Brimah did have a decent touch from 10-12 ft. I bet he nailed them in practice, but was just so lost during games that nothing worked. jmo

He nailed quite a few during games too, but it's more fun to pretend he fumbled the ball 100% of the time it was passed to him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He nailed quite a few during games too, but it's more fun to pretend he fumbled the ball 100% of the time it was passed to him.

Totally. I mean, I've never watched a single practice, so I had to get that from somewhere. But also, let's not pretend it was a consistent weapon for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom