LSU-Tennessee game (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

LSU-Tennessee game (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In the post game, Holly said, "We'll learn from it." Many on the Vol boards are blaming Holly. Apparently she's too nice. Perhaps she thought the slogan was, "We pat backs."

LOL !!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
In the post game, Holly said, "We'll learn from it." Many on the Vol boards are blaming Holly. Apparently she's too nice. Perhaps she thought the slogan was, "We pat backs."
JP McWarlick in da house, I see...

Reaction Score
Great way to make a good first impression. Parkers number retired, A'ja Wilson there and Tenn comes back and loses LSU 80-77. Its a little early but this may be the start of something good for UConn fans because this just might have cost Tenn a one seed in the NCAAs. Great way to start the New Year if your a UConn fan.
I think UConn, Stanford (because they will most likely blitz the PAC12 which currently has 4 Top 25 teams, so their only loss is vs. UConn which was their 2nd game of the season), and the ACC winner (most likely ND or Duke) are pretty much locks for the #1 seed. And the 4th #1 seed will be the ACC #2 team (ND or Duke) or the top SEC team?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Would love to attend a TN practice..... because I want to see what the gals are being taught..... fundamental x's and o's I do not see.... on offense OR defense.
This is a really great and interesting point. Tennessee coaches can say "come to Tenn - play with Russell for 3 years and Graves for 2 years. Help put us near the top to challenge for a NC". But playing with those kids is great if you want to be friends with them. It's alarming to hear Holly say she's not taught the team offense (or defense - not sure which it was). But getting back to playing with "player X or Y"... I really hope Wilson and her family take a long and hard look at the team chemistry and how the coaches run practices.

Her parents really want A'ja to take a steady and objective look at all 4 teams and make the best decision irrespective of any emotions involved. A'ja's mom is making a list of pros and cons of each program. One of the most important has to be how the coaches develop and coach the players. And watching a UCONN practice vs. watching a Tennessee practice (or SC or UNC for that matter) has to be like night and day for recruits to witness first hand.

I was talking to Milford about that tonight - UCONN runs a true motion offense. More often than not, when they grab a rebound, there are only 1-2 dribbles, and then the ball is continuously passed up and around the court in running offense. How many other teams set up offense with a guard dribbling at random around the perimeter, without any discernible purpose, trying to find a crack in the zone, or pull the man to man defense out of position, but WITHOUT utilizing passing, which makes defenses react much more quickly? It happens an awful lot, even when you watch other "top" teams.

Compare how UCONN runs offense and plays defense and compare that to the other 3 teams, and if that's at, or near, the top of her list in importance, then the choice should be relatively simple...

Reaction Score

I always thought it was " We back Pat".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is a really great and interesting point. Tennessee coaches can say "come to Tenn - play with Russell for 3 years and Graves for 2 years. Help put us near the top to challenge for a NC". But playing with those kids is great if you want to be friends with them. It's alarming to hear Holly say she's not taught the team offense (or defense - not sure which it was). But getting back to playing with "player X or Y"... I really hope Wilson and her family take a long and hard look at the team chemistry and how the coaches run practices.

Her parents really want A'ja to take a steady and objective look at all 4 teams and make the best decision irrespective of any emotions involved. A'ja's mom is making a list of pros and cons of each program. One of the most important has to be how the coaches develop and coach the players. And watching a UCONN practice vs. watching a Tennessee practice (or SC or UNC for that matter) has to be like night and day for recruits to witness first hand.

I was talking to Milford about that tonight - UCONN runs a true motion offense. More often than not, when they grab a rebound, there are only 1-2 dribbles, and then the ball is continuously passed up and around the court in running offense. How many other teams set up offense with a guard dribbling at random around the perimeter, without any discernible purpose, trying to find a crack in the zone, or pull the man to man defense out of position, but WITHOUT utilizing passing, which makes defenses react much more quickly? It happens an awful lot, even when you watch other "top" teams.

Compare how UCONN runs offense and plays defense and compare that to the other 3 teams, and if that's at, or near, the top of her list in importance, then the choice should be relatively simple...

Yes, and in the times that UCONN starts standing around it is amazing how much they start looking like those other offenses. The question to ask oneself is why during those times is the team standing around rather than moving with their usual efficiency and energy.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
One Lady Vols fan take on the Game. Margo uploads a video after each Lady Vol Game.

Sometimes she's objective and other times........!!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think UConn, Stanford (because they will most likely blitz the PAC12 which currently has 4 Top 25 teams, so their only loss is vs. UConn which was their 2nd game of the season), and the ACC winner (most likely ND or Duke) are pretty much locks for the #1 seed. And the 4th #1 seed will be the ACC #2 team (ND or Duke) or the top SEC team?
I'm thinking the Big 12 champion could be the 4th #1 seed.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
LOL @ the video.

She has passion, I give her that.

What I find interesting after watching the game on replay was that the technicals were probably the difference maker in the game.

Danielle Ballard (who is from Memphis Tennessee) pretty much scored at will. Twice she had wide open layups while being guarded by Jasmine Jones who Vol fans say is a lock down defender. I didn't see it.

Izzy Harrison was fantastic. I really like her and Graves game. Hats off to Harrison, even though a loss, she played great.

One final note, LSU did NOT play that great down the stretch. Threw the ball away, TO's at costly times (their PG walked the ball up the court and got a 10 second call) and still managed to come away with a victory.

That is my biggest take from the game!

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
LOL @ the video.

She has passion, I give her that.

What I find interesting after watching the game on replay was that the technicals were probably the difference maker in the game.

Danielle Ballard (who is from Memphis Tennessee) pretty much scored at will. Twice she had wide open layups while being guarded by Jasmine Jones who Vol fans say is a lock down defender. I didn't see it.

Izzy Harrison was fantastic. I really like her and Graves game. Hats off to Harrison, even though a loss, she played great.

One final note, LSU did NOT play that great down the stretch. Threw the ball away, TO's at costly times (their PG walked the ball up the court and got a 10 second call) and still managed to come away with a victory.

That is my biggest take from the game!

The technicals where huge. I would bet that the ref got tired of Simmons complaining. It looked to me she was whining to the refs several times before the "T" was called.

And does anyone think that Pat would have been called for a "T" if she acted like Warlick did?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the Big 12 champion could be the 4th #1 seed.
I'm thinking that you are correct.

More than likely Baylor. They might only lose to Uconn going forward.

Using my great prediction skills (I'm never right)

1 seeds - Uconn, Stanford, Duke, Baylor
2 seeds - ND, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think Holly needs to have TN stop playing that Red Sea Defense.
Oh Man- when I need to chuckle- i just get on for a few minutes- another good one IB!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Unless OK State is actually good (TBD, but they ain't bad), I agree that Baylor probably comes through the regular season as a #1 seed. And although the expectation is a UConn W on 1/13, UConn better be ready to play next Monday. We can't afford the kinds of games we had against Cincy and UCF, notwithstanding the MOVs and ease of victories. Obviously, the efforts against Duke, UMD, and Stanford, are what I'd like to see replicated.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Unless OK State is actually good (TBD, but they ain't bad), I agree that Baylor probably comes through the regular season as a #1 seed. And although the expectation is a UConn W on 1/13, UConn better be ready to play next Monday. We can't afford the kinds of games we had against Cincy and UCF, notwithstanding the MOVs and ease of victories. Obviously, the efforts against Duke, UMD, and Stanford, are what I'd like to see replicated.
Good point- Odyssey Sims is that good- she is able to will a team to be better, and carry a team on her back. It reminds me of Kemba Walker carrying the men- she is that type of player- and at point guard, the ball is in her hands to make it happen.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
How does Tenn continue to struggle with all the talent on the floor. It really shows how wide the coaching gap is- and/or the type of individual we are able to identify and attract, that we/coaching staff knows will go the distance to attempt to be great. the more I watch Women's Basketball, the more I appreciate our staff and our ladies efforts. Our girls don't come out of High School 25 pts better than the other top 12 teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It sounds like a fragmented team that does not respect/listen to the coach. W in post game quotes says things like lack of defensive effort for all but the last eight minutes, that players were not getting in defensive stance, that she could not recognize what the team was doing out on the floor! Elite program? Where is the fire? Lots of talent adrift.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One Lady Vols fan take on the Game. Margo uploads a video after each Lady Vol Game.

Sometimes she's objective and other times........!!!!!

Thanks for posting - I have enjoyed these videos before and I think she provides some good analysis of games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It sounds like a fragmented team that does not respect/listen to the coach.

Interesting. I just posted on another board that Holly's demeanor on the bench screams assistant coach. She doesn't carry herself like a head coach, doesn't seem to have the presence of a head coach on the bench. It's like she hasn't made the transition in her own mind, and perhaps the players haven't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom