LSU Basketball 21-22 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

LSU Basketball 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So...does she have greater than a .500 record overall this year? Does she come close to .500 in conference play?
They will definitely be over .500 overall, .500 in conference play isn't unreasonable but I guess it depends on how the roster shapes up and how the new team adapts to her style. A lot of losses last year in conference play were in close games. As mediocre as they were, they still found a way to beat Georgia and A&M. Faustine Aifuwa and Pointer are back which are the biggest keys going into next season.

Its way too early to be able to judge Shematsi and Payne due to limited playing time but they looked intriguing at times shooting the ball. Nikki never gave her teams the green light in general to shoot the 3 ball due to her passive style offensively. D. Davis is a talented kid who never seemed to develop under Nikki, so I will be curious how she does under Kim.

I have a feeling they will add at least 1-2 more transfers. A spot opened up this week and Jalaysha Thomas is rumored to be stepping away from basketball due to all her injuries. Unfortunately most of the good transfers are gone but the portal changes quick in a hurry sometimes. In the end, Kim will be very limited to what she can do year 1 unfortunately. The roster building that will need to be done to compete at a higher level will take 2-3 years at least. She has her work cut on fixing these issues

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They will definitely be over .500 overall, .500 in conference play isn't unreasonable but I guess it depends on how the roster shapes up and how the new team adapts to her style. A lot of losses last year in conference play were in close games. As mediocre as they were, they still found a way to beat Georgia and A&M. Faustine Aifuwa and Pointer are back which are the biggest keys going into next season.

Its way too early to be able to judge Shematsi and Payne due to limited playing time but they looked intriguing at times shooting the ball. Nikki never gave her teams the green light in general to shoot the 3 ball due to her passive style offensively. D. Davis is a talented kid who never seemed to develop under Nikki, so I will be curious how she does under Kim.

I have a feeling they will add at least 1-2 more transfers. A spot opened up this week and Jalaysha Thomas is rumored to be stepping away from basketball due to all her injuries. Unfortunately most of the good transfers are gone but the portal changes quick in a hurry sometimes. In the end, Kim will be very limited to what she can do year 1 unfortunately. The roster building that will need to be done to compete at a higher level will take 2-3 years at least. She has her work cut on fixing these issues
Can you imagine the reaction on the MSU board if Kim beats Nikki in year one with this roster? Yikes or get me the popcorn
Drama Popcorn GIF

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Any news about what the schedule is going to look like next season?

Reaction Score
Any news about what the schedule is going to look like next season?
Probably cupcakes like Mulkey usually schedules unless Nikki already had games in place scheduled for this year. I'm just waiting on her to fill out her staff, no announcements yet.

I don't want to play cupcakes but I don't care if she puts a great product on the floor. Nikki could not do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mikaylah Williams from Parkway in Bossier is now the 3rd ranked recruit in 2023 class. Got a nice bump. Must get for us. Seems to follow Coach Yo though a lot...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Any rumors about who Mulkey is hiring to fill out her coaching staff?

Reaction Score
Any rumors about who Mulkey is hiring to fill out her coaching staff?
She literally only has one assistant coach spot to fill. Her entire staff minus Brock is coming per multiple interviews. Just surprised it’s taken this long.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
She literally only has one assistant coach spot to fill. Her entire staff minus Brock is coming per multiple interviews. Just surprised it’s taken this long.
I think we will see the staff after June 1st. Many assistant coaches receive bonuses on June 1 from their previous school. I'm guessing this is the hold up on many teams.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think we will see the staff after June 1st. Many assistant coaches receive bonuses on June 1 from their previous school. I'm guessing this is the hold up on many teams.
I could see that's why an assistant coach wants to prolong it; but, i can't see what's in it for their current school. If you're not in it 100% for the upcoming season, cut your losses and move on. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I could see that's why an assistant coach wants to prolong it; but, i can't see what's in it for their current school. If you're not in it 100% for the upcoming season, cut your losses and move on. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.
You lost me on your logic. Skilz is saying the Assistant Coach is “appearing to stay at the current school” to get their bonus on June 1. After they get the bonus, they will resign and take on a new role at another school. The current school is either not aware and/or still has the current assistant on their staff and is contractually required to pay the bonus on June 1.
Where does “can’t have your cake and eat it too” come into play?

Reaction Score
You lost me on your logic. Skilz is saying the Assistant Coach is “appearing to stay at the current school” to get their bonus on June 1. After they get the bonus, they will resign and take on a new role at another school. The current school is either not aware and/or still has the current assistant on their staff and is contractually required to pay the bonus on June 1.
Skilz has been really hurt by Kim leaving Baylor.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Come on now. An AD from one school needs (optional?) to ask permission from AD at another school in order to contact and speak with a coach employed at their school.

If an assistant coach is moving on (after a supposed bonus is paid from current school), I'm surprised current school allows it (they can't be clueless, otherwise as in Baylor's "current" asst. coaches' situation, an announcement would have been made by now that they were being retained by new head coach); maybe they have no choice as they would need to terminate current coach if they didn't want to pay a specified bonus (which I guess is not all that much in the first place), and that opens up other required payouts.

"Cake and eating it, too" refers to asst. coach moving on to new job, but wanting to stay at current school just long enough for a few extra bucks; new school should be able to add that amount as a signing bonus if coach was that set on not losing that retention bonus.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Where does “can’t have your cake and eat it too” come into play
Come on now. An AD from one school needs (optional?) to ask permission from AD at another school in order to contact and speak with a coach employed at their school.

If an assistant coach is moving on (after a supposed bonus is paid from current school), I'm surprised current school allows it (they can't be clueless, otherwise as in Baylor's "current" asst. coaches' situation, an announcement would have been made by now that they were being retained by new head coach); maybe they have no choice as they would need to terminate current coach if they didn't want to pay a specified bonus (which I guess is not all that much in the first place), and that opens up other required payouts.

"Cake and eating it, too" refers to asst. coach moving on to new job, but wanting to stay at current school just long enough for a few extra bucks; new school should be able to add that amount as a signing bonus if coach was that set on not losing that retention bonus.
Actually, most assistants are on 1 year contracts and don’t always have to “ask” as their contract expires. I suspect that the coaches in question have been waiting for their contract to get renewed and not had LSU ask yet so they can get the bonus first, then they can have LSU ask for permission to hire. As all schools operate like this, no one wants to block anyone.
As for “your cake...” reference, I find that incredibly naive as ALL businesses in the world do not want to spend more than they have to, which is akin to paying you for your past years performance, seeing you leave, then hiring me before my bonus is given by my current employer and paying me a commensurate “signing bonus” to come on board. The new firm/school will not do that for ASSISTANT coaches. Head Coaches, YES, assistants in WCBB, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom