Louisville over Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville over Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's NOT the players it's the COACH. Our players want to win they're in a system that DOES NOT maximize their talents. I don't understand ... JPM makes all these defensive changes from putting Azura at the top of the zone to the back when Crystal Primm(slashing guard with good ball pressure D) is in yet she can't make ANY offensive adjustments. It's becoming very frustrating for EVERY Duke fan on the Devilsden to watch.

Her offensive scheme is PERFECT for the cupcakes WCBB. When playing against equal talent we can not buy a good look. Becca gets no open looks when facing smart opposing coaches. A poster on the Devilsden made a very accurate statement ... Opposing coaches knows our offense better than the Duke players. Truly sad.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
write-in vote for Jim Harbaugh.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don't see anything here about "Lady" Blue Devils: (maybe you knew that)

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1846&SPSID=22760&DB_OEM_ID=4200

It was in a previous post pasted below.

Yes, I agree with you. But if this is what the school and its fans want, then I'm respectful of that. Perhaps you are aware that their AD ditched the "Lady" modifier on the rest (or most of the rest) of the women's teams, but the basketball fans put up a large enough protest that the basketball team has kept it.

PS - this is coming from a male fan.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think McCallie recruits well because a degree from Duke is quite valuable. In WBB that degree is probably a bigger consideration than in MBB or FB because of the pro money (or lack thereof).

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
It's NOT the players it's the COACH. Our players want to win they're in a system that DOES NOT maximize their talents. I don't understand ... JPM makes all these defensive changes from putting Azura at the top of the zone to the back when Crystal Primm(slashing guard with good ball pressure D) is in yet she can't make ANY offensive adjustments. It's becoming very frustrating for EVERY Duke fan on the Devilsden to watch.

Her offensive scheme is PERFECT for the cupcakes WCBB. When playing against equal talent we can not buy a good look. Becca gets no open looks when facing smart opposing coaches. A poster on the Devilsden made a very accurate statement ... Opposing coaches knows our offense better than the Duke players. Truly sad.
Just called K White AD office and begged for coaching help, his assistant said it
will be passed on to him. HOPE HOPE

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is more like the Louisville team I thought they'd be.

On the other hand I expected more out of Duke this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think McCallie recruits well because a degree from Duke is quite valuable. In WBB that degree is probably a bigger consideration than in MBB or FB because of the pro money (or lack thereof).
Well, Coach G built Duke WBB from scratch, and a free education at an academically elite institution had to have been one of the draws. Stanford, Northwestern, and Vandy, all have the same advantages as private schools, as do Michigan, Virginia, Cal/UCLA, and perhaps Wisconsin, on the public side.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is an ole sayin I like to use. This can apply to some teams who have been struggleing for a long time. "If you cant change your people,then you need to change your people." This applys to coachs and players.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Duke is puzzling to me. I don't know what JPM is doing over there but they do seem to underachieve a bit. It is true though that Duke degree means more than whatever they will learn on the court. Honestly, they may learn more about what the underside of a bus looks like than they will about basketball if they don't get it together.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I gave this post a like only because I feel you pain and frustration. With Primm & Salvadores Greenwell should be getting more open looks just by accident. If you had a competent coach who could actually design Greenwell & Salvadores could be AAs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Does McCallie ever play anything besides zone? It seems like she plays zone defense 100% of the time, never mixing it up or trying to confuse or throw different looks at the other team. I haven't seen every single game tho so I'm curious...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I know the default position seems to be 'blame the coach' but thing is.....it could be that the talent was overrated or not scouted properly. Individual skill does not necessarily mean good for the 'team'.
No. It is the coaching in these two cases. Indubitably!

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Tennessee spanked Auburn (11-4 before today's game), 79-52. First of all, I need to say that I saw spurts where the LVs actually ran an offense, passing the ball to move the defense and find the open player. Mercedes Russell was actually effective for the portion of the game I saw. The good plays were interspersed with brain cramp plays (run like a bat out of hell down the floor and heave up a 17' shot with no defender within 5' of the shooter) but, overall, it did seem that Tenn looked more in control. Well, unless Auburn pressed then it was a horrorshow for the LVs. However, Auburn, which had an 11-4 record, got those wins by beating Towson, Coppin State, Savannah State, Southeastern Louisiana, et al, ran no discernible offense and most of the players couldn't throw the ball into the ocean from a boat. But still, nice win for the LVs and, finally, some decent offense and shooting.

Auburn also beat Kentucky when they were #7.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There is an ole sayin I like to use. This can apply to some teams who have been struggleing for a long time. "If you cant change your people,then you need to change your people." This applys to coachs and players.
Makes perfect sense to me!

Reaction Score
I gave this post a like only because I feel you pain and frustration. With Primm & Salvadores Greenwell should be getting more open looks just by accident. If you had a competent coach who could actually design Greenwell & Salvadores could be AAs.

Earlier this year I thought Tennessee was the team accomplishing the least with the most talent, but it now looks like Duke has usurped that distinction.

In their 5 losses (granted- all against good teams), Duke has scored 55, 66, 61, 50 and 48 points! Those kind of scoring droughts won't get it done in the ACC, let alone come tournament time. The Louisville post game presser was a humdinger. I swear "coach" McCallie never moved her lips as she was bookended by the standing Greenwell and Stevens, who read their mea culpa scripts perfectly, declaring the embarrassing Louisville loss to be squarely on the players for committing so many turnovers, defending and rebounding poorly and for not executing the expert lessons they insisted they were taught by coach in practice. Greenwell and Stevens stood tall and accepted the responsibility for the ugly loss while their coach stood smarmily by and accepted none.

[BTW Coco, maybe Salvadores' play is more suited to the international game than US college ball (or maybe she's still 'adjusting') because I haven't seen much from her in the six games I've seen. She has a poor 1:1 assist to turnover ratio (64 assists, 59 turnovers), scores 8 ppg, shoots 44% from the field and 32% from three. She was overwhelmed by Louisville to the tune of 7 turnovers. And while I don't think JPMcCallie will help many, if any, of her players become great, Salvadores' play so far hasn't even vaguely hinted at the words AA.]

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

This is a good point but I think it applies to several other schools, and that includes UConn which is now ranked by US News & World Report as the 19th best public university. (California by the way places 6 universities in the top tier!)

My main point isn't to brag about UConn academically though, because I think one has to take these rankings with several grains of salt.

But for most women, except for the very top elite, their potential for earnings on the court are relatively limited, even if they are playing in Europe and elsewhere overseas, hence the value of the diploma. (And may be why it would be a good idea for Tuck to stay and get a start on her graduate degree.)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I feel much worse for the Duke players than for the LVs. Neither Holly nor McCallie can coach, but at least Holly doesn't add insult to injury.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Meh. I don't. They at least get to graduate with a Duke degree.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I feel much worse for the Duke players than for the LVs. Neither Holly nor McCallie can coach, but at least Holly doesn't add insult to injury.
You haven't been reading/listening to the post-game press conferences.

Tennessee Head Coach Holly Warlick

(Opening statement)
"We just got beat by a tougher team today; tougher, stronger, smarter, better team."

(On shooting percent going down throughout the game)
"I thought the first quarter we got the ball on inside, we started making up shots. The other quarters we were 4-22 from the three-point line. That was not our game plan. So, we were on our own agenda tonight. I'm telling them drive and they were shooting three's."

(On what was causing so many missing shots)
"It wasn't impatience because we were getting deep into the clock. I don't know, ask them because I'm saying one thing and they were doing another."

(On missing an 'on the court' leader)
"No, tonight I was missing our whole team. It wasn't just a leader. We weren't guarding anybody and the last three games we have been extremely steady and tough on the defensive end and tonight we weren't anything. So, we played no defense and we gave them second chance points. We just didn't do the things that we are capable of doing, that we've wanted them to do and what we needed to do."

(On getting the pressure going)
"Well I thought the first quarter we got after it. Then, they were getting the ball in bounds and we just weren't interested in playing any defense. We just weren't interested in it. Then, we weren't getting back, so I don't know what we were doing. We were somewhere in 'no man's land' right at half court. Must have been deciding what we were going to do after the game because we weren't doing anything."

(On not getting a break in the SEC)
"You watch tape tomorrow and go back to practice. We know what this season is, we know what the SEC is. You can't lose at home. You just can't lose at home. With the way we play, I wish all of our games were away because we aren't very good at home. There is not an easy team. You have to come in here with a better mindset. We were on our own agenda tonight, and we got the result that we deserved because we weren't following anybody's game plan."

(On Florida playing tougher as the game progressed)
"They were tougher. I will say just flat out that I am disappointed. We did our own thing and didn't play. It is one thing to not make shots, but you can control your effort and how hard you play. Every shot is not going in. You will make some mistakes. We talked about before the game that if you make a mistake you refocus. We got the ball down the stretch down by four and turned it over. I am just disappointed in our effort and the things that we can control. You can listen, do what you are asked to do and play as hard as you can. That is easy. If you are asked to do something that doesn't work, that is on me. I will take this because they didn't look like they were ready. I thought we had them ready but we didn't. They just didn't buy in today."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You haven't been reading/listening to the post-game press conferences.

Tennessee Head Coach Holly Warlick

(Opening statement)
"We just got beat by a tougher team today; tougher, stronger, smarter, better team."

(On shooting percent going down throughout the game)
"I thought the first quarter we got the ball on inside, we started making up shots. The other quarters we were 4-22 from the three-point line. That was not our game plan. So, we were on our own agenda tonight. I'm telling them drive and they were shooting three's."

(On what was causing so many missing shots)
"It wasn't impatience because we were getting deep into the clock. I don't know, ask them because I'm saying one thing and they were doing another."

(On missing an 'on the court' leader)
"No, tonight I was missing our whole team. It wasn't just a leader. We weren't guarding anybody and the last three games we have been extremely steady and tough on the defensive end and tonight we weren't anything. So, we played no defense and we gave them second chance points. We just didn't do the things that we are capable of doing, that we've wanted them to do and what we needed to do."

(On getting the pressure going)
"Well I thought the first quarter we got after it. Then, they were getting the ball in bounds and we just weren't interested in playing any defense. We just weren't interested in it. Then, we weren't getting back, so I don't know what we were doing. We were somewhere in 'no man's land' right at half court. Must have been deciding what we were going to do after the game because we weren't doing anything."

(On not getting a break in the SEC)
"You watch tape tomorrow and go back to practice. We know what this season is, we know what the SEC is. You can't lose at home. You just can't lose at home. With the way we play, I wish all of our games were away because we aren't very good at home. There is not an easy team. You have to come in here with a better mindset. We were on our own agenda tonight, and we got the result that we deserved because we weren't following anybody's game plan."

(On Florida playing tougher as the game progressed)
"They were tougher. I will say just flat out that I am disappointed. We did our own thing and didn't play. It is one thing to not make shots, but you can control your effort and how hard you play. Every shot is not going in. You will make some mistakes. We talked about before the game that if you make a mistake you refocus. We got the ball down the stretch down by four and turned it over. I am just disappointed in our effort and the things that we can control. You can listen, do what you are asked to do and play as hard as you can. That is easy. If you are asked to do something that doesn't work, that is on me. I will take this because they didn't look like they were ready. I thought we had them ready but we didn't. They just didn't buy in today."

I understand your point Nan, but somewhere there is a crucial difference

I heard that presser by Holly and it was the words of a defeated, rejected, humiliated soul
lamenting her inability to motivate and control her charges. Her players knew perfectly well
who is in charge and if they feel or don't (that evening ) any compulsion to follow the game plan. That night they didn't and whatever chances they had slipped away as it will again. Not that Holly is such a great coach, but complete freelancing will not get it done.

Joanne's public utterances on the other hand are vindictive, cruel, really horrible. The words may seem the same, but they come from a completely different plain. How is it possible that
this wondrously (un) prepared, hand-picked squad of mine could embarrass me on National television in front of my peers. they must be humiliated and castigated like the children they are.

By admitting she has no idea what to try next (not stated on this occasion but many times prior)...Holly's personal inadequacy and acceptance of responsibility shines through, even though she doesn't exactly say it.

Everyone understands full well that JPM has absolutely no intention of accepting any share of blame, no matter how poorly her terrific group of young ladies botch up their inept plans.

As Danny Kay eloquently said:
"It's wasn't my fault mommy
It was Alvin's fault. (emphasis his)
Are you gonna buy me a new suit?
Or you gonna hit me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics