Louisville over Duke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville over Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
You haven't been reading/listening to the post-game press conferences.

Tennessee Head Coach Holly Warlick

(Opening statement)
"We just got beat by a tougher team today; tougher, stronger, smarter, better team."

(On shooting percent going down throughout the game)
"I thought the first quarter we got the ball on inside, we started making up shots. The other quarters we were 4-22 from the three-point line. That was not our game plan. So, we were on our own agenda tonight. I'm telling them drive and they were shooting three's."

(On what was causing so many missing shots)
"It wasn't impatience because we were getting deep into the clock. I don't know, ask them because I'm saying one thing and they were doing another."

(On missing an 'on the court' leader)
"No, tonight I was missing our whole team. It wasn't just a leader. We weren't guarding anybody and the last three games we have been extremely steady and tough on the defensive end and tonight we weren't anything. So, we played no defense and we gave them second chance points. We just didn't do the things that we are capable of doing, that we've wanted them to do and what we needed to do."

(On getting the pressure going)
"Well I thought the first quarter we got after it. Then, they were getting the ball in bounds and we just weren't interested in playing any defense. We just weren't interested in it. Then, we weren't getting back, so I don't know what we were doing. We were somewhere in 'no man's land' right at half court. Must have been deciding what we were going to do after the game because we weren't doing anything."

(On not getting a break in the SEC)
"You watch tape tomorrow and go back to practice. We know what this season is, we know what the SEC is. You can't lose at home. You just can't lose at home. With the way we play, I wish all of our games were away because we aren't very good at home. There is not an easy team. You have to come in here with a better mindset. We were on our own agenda tonight, and we got the result that we deserved because we weren't following anybody's game plan."

(On Florida playing tougher as the game progressed)
"They were tougher. I will say just flat out that I am disappointed. We did our own thing and didn't play. It is one thing to not make shots, but you can control your effort and how hard you play. Every shot is not going in. You will make some mistakes. We talked about before the game that if you make a mistake you refocus. We got the ball down the stretch down by four and turned it over. I am just disappointed in our effort and the things that we can control. You can listen, do what you are asked to do and play as hard as you can. That is easy. If you are asked to do something that doesn't work, that is on me. I will take this because they didn't look like they were ready. I thought we had them ready but we didn't. They just didn't buy in today."

Wow! Holly has lost control of this team even more than I realized. Sounds like the team is ignoring her completely. I wonder if and when pride and self-respect will outbalance the 600k salary.
On edit; I have to agree with Michael. Holly sounds more hurt and bewildered than blameful, unlike McCallie. I don't see how she can last much longer;the situation is just too painful for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
If you read VolNation and the Devil's Den you will notice that they're almost identical as far as the complaints of the respective fan bases goes. Both complain of a seemingly non existent offensive system and of a coach who hasn't a clue of how to fix it. (Those fans that support their existing coach each point to the 80% + winning percentage and ask who's available that would be better ? )
Here's my question. If Tennessee and Duke were to exchange coaches, who would get the better of the deal ?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
If you read VolNation and the Devil's Den you will notice that they're almost identical as far as the complaints of the respective fan bases goes. Both complain of a seemingly non existent offensive system and of a coach who hasn't a clue of how to fix it. (Those fans that support their existing coach each point to the 80% + winning percentage and ask who's available that would be better ? )
Here's my question. If Tennessee and Duke were to exchange coaches, who would get the better of the deal ?

What an interesting question. My first reaction is Tennessee benefits. JPM may be an and may not be the best offensive planner, but if she were at the helm I think the LV players would be toeing the line more, and therefore playing more to their potential.

I don't think any coach can have a prayer if there is little respect from the team, no matter what other virtues the coach may have.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Would you rather die by hanging or a firing squad?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a serious question - why are no "bigger" programs looking at Jose Fernandez? They guy runs a disciplined team, well coached in fundamentals, good defense and fluid offense. Jose only needed two really good players to get his team ranked; what could he do with the Duke or Tennessee rosters?

Reaction Score
I want the USF coach BAD. Always have his team ready for Uconn. I watched spurts of the game. I believe in the 3rd qtr a player on USF (maybe Katie was the name) was 4-4 from the 3. Uconn was in a 3-2 and they double screened the weak side zone that resulted in a open corner 3. This was her 4th 3 made. I remember thinking vividly "what if he had Rebecca Greenwell".

Reaction Score
Does McCallie ever play anything besides zone? It seems like she plays zone defense 100% of the time, never mixing it up or trying to confuse or throw different looks at the other team. I haven't seen every single game tho so I'm curious...
If we run man it will be 2 possessions MAX. Matchup zone is the closet thing to man we get. RobC wrote after the Duke vs Cuse game that "Duke's man to man defense is the worst I've ever seen at Duke." Also, "Elizabeth Williams covered up a lot of foundational problems over the last four years."

I like RobC A LOT.

Reaction Score
How did JPM take a MSU team to the FF Finals losing to Baylor in 2005 and be without a clue all her years at Duke!
You can't have that much talent and play that bad! And it can't be the players fault, no matter what JPM says at the post game pressers, as every where they've been they've been "winners"! It's like JPM's offense & defense was great for the 1980's but in 2016 it's too predictable!
JPM joins the long list of coaches that can recruit but can't coach the talent, Sylvia Hatchell, Holly Warlick, Andy Landers, Gale Goestenkors, etc.
I personally would put Brenda Frese on the above list but many others don't agree!
Geno & The Muffett run offenses with no set plays but react off what the defense does!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
This is a serious question - why are no "bigger" programs looking at Jose Fernandez? They guy runs a disciplined team, well coached in fundamentals, good defense and fluid offense. Jose only needed two really good players to get his team ranked; what could he do with the Duke or Tennessee rosters?

USF sill has to play @UL on 2/15.

Massey makes Louisville a three point favorite.

It is probably a more important game for USF, because we don't get very many opportunities in this conference to solidify our record for the NCAA, except playing against UCONN and that is pretty much an exercise in futility.

Over the years, we generally have very close games against UL. I'm just hopeful that this time we can come out on the winning side.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
JPM joins the long list of coaches that can recruit but can't coach the talent, Sylvia Hatchell, Holly Warlick, Andy Landers, Gale Goestenkors, etc.

Seriously?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
USF sill has to play @UL on 2/15.

Massey makes Louisville a three point favorite.

It is probably a more important game for USF, because we don't get very many opportunities in this conference to solidify our record for the NCAA, except playing against UCONN and that is pretty much an exercise in futility.

Over the years, we generally have very close games against UL. I'm just hopeful that this time we can come out on the winning side.

My money is on USF. They want revenge for that game in the Tournament. The Bulls will be READY for that one, no slow starts, just hell on wheels.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
[BTW Coco, maybe Salvadores' play is more suited to the international game than US college ball (or maybe she's still 'adjusting') because I haven't seen much from her in the six games I've seen. She has a poor 1:1 assist to turnover ratio (64 assists, 59 turnovers), scores 8 ppg, shoots 44% from the field and 32% from three. She was overwhelmed by Louisville to the tune of 7 turnovers. And while I don't think JPMcCallie will help many, if any, of her players become great, Salvadores' play so far hasn't even vaguely hinted at the words AA.]
I agree that Salvadores has not been as good but neither have the other 2 highly ranked freshmen guards Primm & Lambert. All three under achieving speaks to coaching, not style of play IMO.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-1-13_13-17-47.png
images

Reaction Score
Except it is not true, by any objective measure.
I didn't write it but I would tend to agree with you, according to almost all definitions of "can coach" and "objective." But, like I said, some here have VERY high standards :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom