Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee?

Reaction Score
In an interesting (and maybe related) development, Louisville assistant coach Samantha Williams was just named the new Head Coach at Eastern Kentucky University.

Interesting indeed....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In an interesting (and maybe related) development, Louisville assistant coach Samantha Williams was just named the new Head Coach at Eastern Kentucky University.
Samantha is good people. She made some call on behalf of my Daughter to coaches she knew when she was recruiting for Duke. Wish her well!

Reaction Score
Would the coach of a highly visible "elite" school be "fired" if the school had not already been assured that they had a replacement?
I know there is always the scenario where the coach is offered the new job only to have his current school sweeten the deal and they remain in that job.

Reaction Score
Would the coach of a highly visible "elite" school be "fired" if the school had not already been assured that they had a replacement?
I know there is always the scenario where the coach is offered the new job only to have his current school sweeten the deal and they remain in that job.

YES, this happens regularly in sports.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember ever hearing about him leaving for another school, prior this year...so what does he mean by this happens every year?

I found that odd too. Is it just me, or did he seem a little defensive and almost saying too much?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t remember ever hearing about him leaving for another school, prior this year...so what does he mean by this happens every year?
Just what he says every year Jeff's name is linked to a coaching job ALWAYS resulting in a raise for him to stay at Louisville. Louisville is either tired of it or used to it by now.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I found that odd too. Is it just me, or did he seem a little defensive and almost saying too much?
In my considered opinion, he looked like he was lying. Good liars will fill in seemingly relevant but actually non-responsive details, which is exactly what he did. "This happens every year." "I just saw Sam in the hallway and she and I were joking..." etc.

Walz didn't deny it, which means he wants it. If he didn't, and he wanted to maximize his team's focus this week, he would have just said fake news, I plan to stay at Louisville and am not interested in that job were it to become available. Which means he cares more about his (potential) future job than his current one.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
AT the end of the day its a great opportunity for him. Probably the only school he could go to with great personnel (maybe better than LV) and get more money and have all that tradition to recruit to.

imho if its true he'd be foolish not to take the job.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree he was a guy latching on to things to talk about other than his interest in the Tennessee job.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was hardly a secret that there was no love lost among the "old guard" Lady Vols for Walz. Two years ago, when Louisville eliminated Tennessee in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, Warlick gave Walz the quickest blow-by in the handshake line I've ever seen from her.

I've never heard where that animosity stemmed from, but in light of recent events and rumors I can't help but wonder whether Walz campaigned behind the scenes for the job back during Pat's final year of coaching, when it was already known she was ill and the imminence of her retirement was very publicly speculated on. I wouldn't put it past him, and of course that would've understandably pissed some folks off.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just imagine:
Jeff takes over UTenn with a ton of talent like he's never seen
And in his very first season gets an opportunity to wallop UConn
on a mega national TV extravaganza
Yes sir, I'll sign up for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors