Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@CamrnCrz1974 was it the new AD at Louisville that approved the contract extension.. Or the previous one that got fired... Jurich ?

Reaction Score
Tennessee's athletic dept

Wait, so a source in the Tenn dept claims that Louisville is prepared to lose Walz. And that is being presented as factual?

Folks, it's called critical thinking. Try it.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Wait, so a source in the Tenn dept claims that Louisville is prepared to lose Walz. And that is being presented as factual?

You asked where the source might have come from...the logical guess is the athletic dept.

Also, this whole thing isnt being presented as factual, more along as rumor and innuendo

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Gene Henley just posted a supplemental tweet, with his clarification:

To be clear, my source is tied to the Louisville athletic department, not Tennessee's. Hence the wording.

Reaction Score
Just wondering...if there was an iota of fact behind this, wouldn't ESPN be all over it?
It would certainly warrant "Breaking News"

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
So, someone in the Louisville AD leaked this to reporter in Tennessee but no KY-based reporter.

AND the Louisville coach is still in the hunt for a National Championship so this type of thing would only be a distraction.

If I'm the Louisville Athletic Director someone's head would roll!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think this was mentioned up thread. Tennessee currently has a head coach. This seems strange to be talking about a coach of a team who is still competing in the Tourney, and another school who has not officially fired their coach at this point.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A few cautionary notes...

--- Gene Henley is the Tennessee athletics beat writer for the Times Free Press. This is very different than an ESPN reporter or a Louisville Courier Journal reporter presenting this news/scoop.

-- Jeff Walz is under contract through 2024-2025, per the contract extension he signed after the 2017-2018 season. The contract extension he signed included an extension of the original deal by three years, plus a $50,000 raise.

--- Walz's current contract -- before the extension -- runs through 2022 and pays him $1.15 million annually.

--- Walz's contract with Louisville has a buyout provision, which was part of last year's contract negotiations.

Irrespective of whether Walz takes the job or whether Gene Henley is accurate, these are a few points to consider, at this point in time.

I apologize for not adding the following points to consider/cautionary notes to my previous post:

--- Jeff Walz is from Fort Thomas, Kentucky.
--- Walz attended Highlands High School in Fort Thomas, Kentucky.
--- Walz completed his undergraduate studies at Northern Kentucky (basketball scholarship.
--- Walz has a master's degree from Western Kentucky.

Again (as I noted above), irrespective of whether Walz takes the job or whether Gene Henley is accurate, these are points to consider, at this point in time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I am very skeptical.

Holly has not been fired.
Walz is still under contract and his team is still playing
No acknowledgement for either Tennessee or Louisville.

Reaction Score
Why would Walz leave an established, elite program like Louisville, where he can become a legend over the next two decades, for a has-been program like Tennessee?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I understand part of the agreement, for Walz,
Holly Warlick.jpg
was that he got first dibs on Hollys plaid shirts :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just wondering...if there was an iota of fact behind this, wouldn't ESPN be all over it?
It would certainly warrant "Breaking News"
IF it’s true, someone probably slipped in saying anything up and is now unwilling to repeat the news or has been asked not to. If SPN can’t confirm it, it won’t report it

Reaction Score
This doesn't seem like it would be true, but I'd welcome it. TN needs to be what it can be for the SEC to be more competitive.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I would hope that nobody in the TN AD office would contact a coach currently in the heat of the NC chase. I guess there are no tampering rules in the NCAA...

Unless it's Geno congratulating a 12-year-old girl after the Little League World Series.

Reaction Score
Why would Walz leave an established, elite program like Louisville, where he can become a legend over the next two decades, for a has-been program like Tennessee?
Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee?

I don't hold so much glee for UT having a year that is not as successful as in the past. Say what you may about UT they were the model Uconn/Geno aspired to become. Pat, in her time, was generous (not at the end, Alzheimer?). Pat was among the toughest competitors, she is only second to Geno as to not wanting to loose, she took it seriously
The second part of that is: No program, or anything, anyone lasts forever. That day will come for all Universities, all programs, all people.
I have no issue with those that don't want to play UT again--that's fine.
I just don't want to be around when Western Tenn folks are posting with Glee--Why would he want to go to Uconn that's a has been program

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How about we attend Holly's funeral first. This junior G man, hanging around a hotel, went fishing in the Louisvill Athletic Dept., yeah, right. He decided to bump his tweeter account (what I call it) . As Cam points out there is so much dumb about this little smoke trail and that's why you don't smell smoke.

Reaction Score
Saw a rumor that John Wooden has agreed to come back from the afterlife and coach Tennessee, if Holly will retire for the good of basketball. The cries for a change have been enough to wake the dead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom