Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee? | The Boneyard

Louisville Jeff Walz to Tennessee?

Reaction Score

Tennessee faithful right now be like

otter-praying.jpg

6a179b548941bb3199fd6dd8cc5ae7d3.jpg

Reaction Score
Reporters would rather be first than be right. This ABSOLUTELY STINKS if you're a Louisville player and you have to read this crap somewhere, trying to get to the Final Four. And before you wanna dump on Louisville, cross UL out and put your favorite school's name/coach in their place.

Reaction Score
The problem with Twitter, and indeed much of Internet news, is there's no evaluation of the source. At least back in the print days, this kind of news would have to get funneled through a reporter who would evaluate the information and get additional sourcing.

Who is Gene Henley?
Who is his "source?"
And who benefits from such a story? Well, for one, Tenn fans who want Holly dumped have a definite interest.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Reporters would rather be first than be right. This ABSOLUTELY STINKS if you're a Louisville player and you have to read this crap somewhere, trying to get to the Final Four. And before you wanna dump on Louisville, cross UL out and put your favorite school's name/coach in their place.

Reminds me of Duke in 2007 and the Coach G to Texas rumors before the sweet 16 @CamrnCrz1974 :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
(Cross-posting this since the other thread that raised this issue seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle):

I mean, if all "is prepared to lose" means is that the Louisville AD is preparing possible counter-offers and identifying a short list of potential replacements just in case Tennessee makes a move, that doesn't seem like fake news, nor something totally outlandish. If I were the Louisville AD, I'd be doing that too. But it doesn't mean any of (a) Tennessee is firing/relocating Holly; (b) Jeff Walz is interested in taking the job; and (c) Walz will take the job. It could be as simple as: let's round up our boosters and get some donations earmarked just in case we need to give him a big counter-offer to stay.

Personally, I don't see why he'd go. He's a Kentucky boy born and bred, and Walz::Louisville the way Tara::Stanford, Geno::UConn, and Mulkey::Baylor. They are their programs, and their programs are them. He recruits top players and has built up a tradition all his own. I don't see why anyone walks away from that when he's already coaching in his home state. The Mike Neighbors kind of move made more sense to me, because while Arkansas is no better of a place (and arguably worse) to coach than Washington, he's an Arkansas boy. But this just doesn't make any sense to me, and the pressure to win at Tennessee would be tremendous, and the Lady Vols fans are pretty unforgiving. (Plus I'm not sure why, but I kind of feel like on principle Pat's program isn't going to end up with a male head coach any time soon.)

And BTW, it's in Walz's financial self-interest to feign a bit of interest in the Tennessee job, should it open. One of the best ways coaches can boost their salary and package is to present a credible counter-offer or serious interest elsewhere. It doesn't mean he'll take it, but it does mean a smart AD is drawing up contingency plans in case he suggests he might.

Reaction Score
He is a respected sports journalist around these parts..im assuming his source is someone in the athletic dept

A Chattanooga reporter with a source in the Louisville AD?

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Wouldnt you guys/gals welcome this hire as it would pertain to the uconn tenn renewed series?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be a great hire for them. Can't see it happening unless they threw a crazy amount of cash at him.

Reaction Score
I would believe it more if it came from a KY reporter.
And why is he the only reporter that the source is sharing this with?
But maybe this is how secret sources operate.

Reaction Score
I would hope that nobody in the TN AD office would contact a coach currently in the heat of the NC chase. I guess there are no tampering rules in the NCAA...

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t they gave to get Louisville s permission to talk to Walz and usually not granted in other sports till team is eliminated

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
This could be a ploy by walz to negotiate even more money on his contract, i cant imagine tennessee paying what it would take to get him here...kinda akin to the grumor rumors that plagued tennessee football

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Who is Gene Henley?
Who is his "source?"
And who benefits from such a story? Well, for one, Tenn fans who want Holly dumped have a definite interest.

And BTW, it's in Walz's financial self-interest to feign a bit of interest in the Tennessee job, should it open. One of the best ways coaches can boost their salary and package is to present a credible counter-offer or serious interest elsewhere. It doesn't mean he'll take it, but it does mean a smart AD is drawing up contingency plans in case he suggests he might.

A few cautionary notes...

--- Gene Henley is the Tennessee athletics beat writer for the Times Free Press. This is very different than an ESPN reporter or a Louisville Courier Journal reporter presenting this news/scoop.

-- Jeff Walz is under contract through 2024-2025, per the contract extension he signed after the 2017-2018 season. The contract extension he signed included an extension of the original deal by three years, plus a $50,000 raise.

--- Walz's current contract -- before the extension -- runs through 2022 and pays him $1.15 million annually.

--- Walz's contract with Louisville has a buyout provision, which was part of last year's contract negotiations.

Irrespective of whether Walz takes the job or whether Gene Henley is accurate, these are a few points to consider, at this point in time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom