Lou Spanos will be named UConn's next defensive coordinator | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou Spanos will be named UConn's next defensive coordinator

Reaction Score
I would imagine this will give our recruiting a needed boost as well.

Reaction Score

>>"Lou was exactly what I was looking for when I started the search for a new defensive coordinator," Edsall said. "I wanted someone who had NFL and college experience, someone who has coordinated a defense previously with success and someone who knows how to develop players and will be aggressive with the scheme that we will be running.

"When you look at who Lou worked for and with throughout his career, it is very impressive. Talking with the coaches that Lou has worked for and with during his career, it was very apparent to me that we were able to attract an outstanding coach, person and recruiter to our staff and someone that will relate very well with our student athletes and take us to where we want to go defensively."<<

Giddyup! I'm back to being full on Apologista! Welcome Lou!

Reaction Score
I like the hire a lot. The linebackers that passed through UCLA during his time there are what jump out at me the most. Very impressive group.

Reaction Score
Here’s to hoping he can recruit. Impressive resume.
I would imagine this will give our recruiting a needed boost as well.

From what I’ve seen that is the one down side - he really hasn’t spent a ton of time in his career actually recruiting high school kids BUT he brings credibility to the table of putting kids into NFL and he has coached some incredible talent along the way (College/NFL) that will open doors. Most boots on the ground recruiting is done by the positions coaches anyways so I’m not that concerned.

Reaction Score
Is it wrong that I want him wearing his Bama gear while out on the trail recruiting for us??

005201c86937411ebb706401a8c0.jpeg

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen that is the one down side - he really hasn’t spent a ton of time in his career actually recruiting BUT he brings credibility to the table of putting kids into NFL and he has coached some incredible talent along the way (College/NFL) that will open doors.

That’s my hope. We desperately need to improve recruiting, so hoping that Coach Spanos sells his credential on the recruiting trail and hits it with intensity.

I sound like a broken record but the ONLY way this team climbs back is by significantly improving the talent. Doesn’t matter how good you are at scheming a defense.

Reaction Score
I am impressed by the hire. Could he bring a couple of high school seniors from Alabama, Texas, Fla. etc. with him before he moves to Storrs?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how he did as a coordinator at UCLA? I like the 'Bama connection but not crazy about the "analyst" role. Think if some other G5 team got excited to get the the current Oklahoma defensive analyst as their new DC without really looking at the body of work...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think this might truly be the first time considering we officially had the worst defense in FBS history..

Well, all I can say is I hope so. But in true UConn fashion come August we'll have the schedule posted and a see the smattering of 6-6, 7-5 records attached with "can't be any worse".

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Read he's more of a 3-4, guy. Wonder if that will be the D going forward. If so, we'd have come full circle from 3-3-5, to 4-3, to 3-4, in three years. That would be impressive.
It doesn't really matter, does it? Teams run sub packages 80% of the time. The biggest change Spanos can bring is technique and philosophy. Are his defenses read/react or attacking? How much cushion on the edge? Zone or man?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Read he's more of a 3-4, guy. Wonder if that will be the D going forward. If so, we'd have come full circle from 3-3-5, to 4-3, to 3-4, in three years. That would be impressive.
"Well try something else. I mean one of them has to work."

Reaction Score
I don't like or not like it. The reason why. I liked coach P and didn't realize the game had passed him by. I liked coach D and didn't realize he couldn't coach or develop players. I am glad they filled the position and will reserve judgement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom