Lou Spanos will be named UConn's next defensive coordinator | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lou Spanos will be named UConn's next defensive coordinator

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't like or not like it. The reason why. I liked coach P and didn't realize the game had passed him by. I liked coach D and didn't realize he couldn't coach or develop players. I am glad they filled the position and will reserve judgement.

This is the way I feel.

Reaction Score
Some great quotes from his former Head Coaches. All sound very positive...seems like HCRE 2.0 has made a very good hire!

"He is a great teacher of the game and it is very important to him that his players find success. He brings toughness and physicality to everywhere he has coached."
  • Mike Mularkey, former Tennessee Titans head coach
"He had an immediate and profound impact on the UCLA football program and our student athletes as our defensive coordinator. Lou is a great communicator, a creative football mind... who will embrace the vision of Coach Edsall and UConn football."
  • Jim Mora, former UCLA head coach
"Lou is a heck of a football coach... who players instantly follow and listen to and his knowledge of the game is very impressive. Perhaps his best quality is his ability to relate to players and that is of the utmost importance. This is a great hire by UConn."
  • Mike Shanahan, Two-time Super Bowl Champion head coach

Lou Spanos Joins Huskies as Defensive Coordinator - University of Connecticut Athletics

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it wrong that I want him wearing his Bama gear while out on the trail recruiting for us??

As long as he doesn't wear his Capt Lou Alabama gear.

1547656156127.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is the way I feel.

I'm ecstatic.... When he was in Pittsburgh, that defense was nasty good :) and when in UCLA they where way better after he got there. LOVE THIS HIRE 1000000^1000000 time

OH and the Alabama thing just takes it to the next level.... that is best place to pull from, can't believe we got one from that coaching staff

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't like or not like it. The reason why. I liked coach P and didn't realize the game had passed him by. I liked coach D and didn't realize he couldn't coach or develop players. I am glad they filled the position and will reserve judgement.
This is the way I feel.
Profound Trauma (Vegetative vagal/parasympathetic shut down.) Repeated mental trauma will completely shut down an individual until they feel no emotional stake in the things that happen around them. This shut down condition is called dissociation. While the brain continues to respond in minimal ways, the individual may no longer recognize that they are present or that these events (game day) are happening to them.

It's probably for the best. Hopefully healing can begin next season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hear some who question his ability to recruit - but does he have to?
Can't he a RE2 sit down and Spanos give RE2 an idea of what type of player he wants and RE2 goes out there to close the deal or maybe RE2 gives Spanos tape and he uses his analyst skills to say yeah or NEXT?
Some guys are great at coaching tactics and techniques and have less than stellar people skills - that's fine - stick the salesmen on the recruits
From what I am reading - this is a damn good get for RE2 - but I have no knowledge of his coaching ability but seems to have success attached to a lot of his gigs
WELCOME COACH SPANOS

Reaction Score
Some great quotes from his former Head Coaches. All sound very positive...seems like HCRE 2.0 has made a very good hire!

"He is a great teacher of the game and it is very important to him that his players find success. He brings toughness and physicality to everywhere he has coached."
"He had an immediate and profound impact on the UCLA football program and our student athletes as our defensive coordinator. Lou is a great communicator, a creative football mind... who will embrace the vision of Coach Edsall and UConn football."
"Lou is a heck of a football coach... who players instantly follow and listen to and his knowledge of the game is very impressive. Perhaps his best quality is his ability to relate to players and that is of the utmost importance. This is a great hire by UConn."

Lou Spanos Joins Huskies as Defensive Coordinator - University of Connecticut Athletics
Great to hear some good words from his past bosses.

Reaction Score
Hey, I know we mentioned that DC doesn't put much time into the recruits but maybe he can connect with some of high schools down there. Southern boys get intrigued by snow. Maybe he can swing a JUCO or two....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Like the quotes, but it also dawns on me what these three coaches have in common.

Reaction Score
I would’ve hired him on name alone.
Lou Spanos
If that doesn’t shout DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR I don’t know what does.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Been in your kitchen?

:rolleyes:
Fired (Though in the case of Shannahan, his ownership and front office were far more inept than he.).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Even if it’s a 3-4 one of those outside backers will likely drop down and show pressure from the outside. You have to rush 4 and blitz in order to disrupt timing with today’s offense. Unless your front 3 consists of Sapp, Donald and Suh you need to bring 4 or more

Yeah, I don't understand any complaints about 3-4. Nobody anywhere plays a pure 3-4 or 4-3 anymore. They will occasionally bring both outside linebackers in a 3-4, or neither, and 4-3's drop DL in coverage now and then or have an OLB or ILB rush.

I have no doubt that Lou knows what he's doing no matter what the base scheme it. I think Randy wants us to be more multiple anyway, showing a variety of fronts and creating confusion.

Reaction Score
I hear some who question his ability to recruit - but does he have to?
Can't he a RE2 sit down and Spanos give RE2 an idea of what type of player he wants and RE2 goes out there to close the deal or maybe RE2 gives Spanos tape and he uses his analyst skills to say yeah or NEXT?
Some guys are great at coaching tactics and techniques and have less than stellar people skills - that's fine - stick the salesmen on the recruits
From what I am reading - this is a damn good get for RE2 - but I have no knowledge of his coaching ability but seems to have success attached to a lot of his gigs
WELCOME COACH SPANOS

He 100% absolutely has to be able to recruit. We need coaches that have the ability to sell recruits to pass up P5 offers to come to UCONN. We also need coaches who can identify talent.

Coach Crocker failed to make adjustments but I can’t count how many times a player was in position to make a play and simply got bowled over or had feet like cement and watched the opposing player run by.

Love the Shanahan quote on him. We need a coach who can reach the players, who can tell them why UCONN is a great fit. It doesn’t matter how good of a scheme a coach deploys.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Like the quotes, but it also dawns on me what these three coaches have in common.

They were also fairly successful to very successful NFL head coaches.

I get a sense of what I think Randy is trying to do with this hire and the Dunn hire. I think his time with the Lions left an impression. The NFL is far more multiple on offense and defense than the college game. There is no doubt that a college team doesn't have the time with players to run those kinds of schemes in full, but if they can manage a 2/3 version (a) it could be quite effective and (b) it would be attractive to NFL teams, and thus to recruits.

It's similar to the argument we make about kids going to Syracuse and playing 2-3 zone as preparation for the NBA. The reality is a pure spread offense is lousy prep for the NFL, so is a Navy style option attack. The same applies on defense. Some stunting and shifting in an out of different fronts, dropping DLs, rushing safeties, LBs who can cover and play the run game. Attractive stuff. And these two coaches can teach it. How quickly the kids can pick it up and how well they execute it, that's the question.

Reaction Score
99.5% (probably more) of these kids will NOT play in the #NFL, so why not focus on running your offense and defense in a style that helps you win ? Makes for a better college (young adult life) experience. I think quite a few P5 schools get it, which is why they're P5...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom