Lou Spanos will be named UConn's next defensive coordinator | The Boneyard

Lou Spanos will be named UConn's next defensive coordinator

Reaction Score
From Super Bowls to national championships, Dormont's Lou Spanos has coached in a lot of big football games

>>“I’m very fortunate to have been on all of those staffs and with those coaches,” Spanos said. “Each of those coaches had their own style that made them successful. As a coach you always have your own identity. But as you evolve you take some traits from each of them that you admire. I have a little coach Cowher in me. I have a little coach Tomlin in me. All of the coaches you work with you take something from them to help you become a better coach.”<<

Reaction Score
I did like this stat from an article when he got hired as Linebacker coach for the Titans "An NFL coaching veteran who spent 16 seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins, Spanos signed on with the Bruins shortly after Jim Mora's hire in late 2011. Under Spanos, UCLA improved from 87th in FBS yards-per-play allowed to 66th in 2012, then leapt all the way to 25th in 2013. "

Reaction Score
A LOT more experience than a Dunn or Giufre at the NFL level. I like the hire..it will be interesting to see the D next year..how it looks..does he simplify cover schemes at all..does he do what he did at UCLA and bring pressure. The Steelers teams he worked with had some nasty defenses that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
Read he's more of a 3-4, guy. Wonder if that will be the D going forward. If so, we'd have come full circle from 3-3-5, to 4-3, to 3-4, in three years. That would be impressive.
'Bama wasn't a 3-4 team... So I think he might've learned a few more tricks ...at least I hope so

Reaction Score

>>"Lou was exactly what I was looking for when I started the search for a new defensive coordinator," Edsall said. "I wanted someone who had NFL and college experience, someone who has coordinated a defense previously with success and someone who knows how to develop players and will be aggressive with the scheme that we will be running.

"When you look at who Lou worked for and with throughout his career, it is very impressive. Talking with the coaches that Lou has worked for and with during his career, it was very apparent to me that we were able to attract an outstanding coach, person and recruiter to our staff and someone that will relate very well with our student athletes and take us to where we want to go defensively."<<

Reaction Score
Read he's more of a 3-4, guy. Wonder if that will be the D going forward. If so, we'd have come full circle from 3-3-5, to 4-3, to 3-4, in three years. That would be impressive.
Even if it’s a 3-4 one of those outside backers will likely drop down and show pressure from the outside. You have to rush 4 and blitz in order to disrupt timing with today’s offense. Unless your front 3 consists of Sapp, Donald and Suh you need to bring 4 or more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom