Lou - National Player of the Year? | The Boneyard

Lou - National Player of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We have all admired Lou’s ability to shoot the 3 from just about anywhere over the half court line, but on a very talented team, it’s easy to overlook just how good Lou has become at everything else. In addition to being deadly from the 3-pt line, Lou is money on the curl at the foul line. She’s developed a low post game and she can put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket with either hand.

On a team of really good passers, Lou may be the best. She sees the whole court and has the ability to deliver beautiful touch passes to cutting teammates. Last night she had 3 fabulous assists. Her best pass was a perfect, no-look, left handed, touch pass to Nat who was cutting to the basket. Unfortunately, Nat missed the open layup.

Lou has improved tremendously in the areas that Geno got on her about last season, rebounding & defense. Lou has become a very solid rebounder, averaging 4+/game, although on a team where Gabby & Pheesa go after every rebound in site, there aren’t a lot left over for anyone else.

Lou’s greatest improvement has been on the defensive end. While she doesn’t have the quickness that some of her teammates possess, she has great instincts and uses her length to disrupt passing lanes, resulting in a growing number of tipped balls and steals. She also had an impressive block under the basket against the Cornhuskers.

Every team UConn faced this season, and every team they will face this season, has to begin their game plan for the Huskies by trying to figure out how to contain Lou. So far this season, teams have shadowed Lou all over the court with their top defender. They have bumped her, hand checked her and clubbed her, and none of it has worked. Lou probably works harder to get open than any other player, although Pheesa is real close. Lou has shown incredible toughness. She looks like Bambi, but plays like a lion. It shouldn’t surprise anyone. After all, she played half of the national semifinal with a broken foot.

Finally, while only a sophomore, Lou has embraced her role as a leader on a team full of leaders. If she continues to play the way she is playing and the Huskies continue to win, Lou has to be considered as a national player of the year candidate, IMO.

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I love KLS's game (I also love the way Collier and Gabby are playing game-in and game-out.) I said in a thread earlier this year that I thought KLS would be the most likely AA from UConn this year (when others were touting Kia) and I think she is on a course to do that. She has a superior (and expanding) offensive game.

However, I am not sure about NPOY just yet. There are still parts of her game that need a bit work to call her the best player in the nation. Her defense is not above average and she is not the presence on the boards that I hope she will be in time. You hope a NPOY has all three elements to their game (perhaps with assists substituting for rebounds if we are talking about a guard). KLS is fortunate to play on a team where she will never be asked to guard the other team's best guard or their best forward. Think, in contrast, how MoJet and Stewie were often asked to guard the best player on the other team.

Having said all that I do think she is one of the top five players in the country. I'm just not ready to place her as the best yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I love KLS's game (I also love the way Collier and Gabby are playing game-in and game-out.) I said in a thread earlier this year that I thought KLS would be the most likely AA from UConn this year (when others were touting Kia) and I think she is on a course to do that. She has a superior (and expanding) offensive game.

However, I am not sure about NPOY just yet. There are still parts of her game that need a bit work to call her the best player in the nation. Her defense is not above average and she is not the presence on the boards that I hope she will be in time. You hope a NPOY has all three elements to their game (perhaps with assists substituting for rebounds if we are talking about a guard). KLS is fortunate to play on a team where she will never be asked to guard the other team's best guard or their best forward. Think, in contrast, how MoJet and Stewie were often asked to guard the best player on the other team.

Having said all that I do think she is one of the top five players in the country. I'm just not ready to place her as the best yet.
I agree with your analysis. I am just not sure who is playing better than Lou right now. As far as NPOY, she will lose some votes to an upperclassman like Kelsey Plum, but if UConn runs the table and wins #12, voters are sometimes inclined to vote for the best player on the best team.

Reaction Score
Every team UConn faced this season, and every team they will face this season, has to begin their game plan for the Huskies by trying to figure out how to contain Lou. So far this season, teams have shadowed Lou all over the court with their top defender. They have bumped her, hand checked her and clubbed her, and none of it has worked. Lou probably works harder to get open than any other player, although Pheesa is real close. Lou has shown incredible toughness. She looks like Bambi, but plays like a lion. It shouldn’t surprise anyone. After all, she played half of the national semifinal with a broken foot.

Everything you said is spot on but this is the part that has impressed me the most. When I watch her play I am sometimes reminded of another west coast recruit .....DT.

Pretty amazing that UConn has two sophs that have already garnered attention for NPOY. Kinda funny listening to broadcasters from game to game saying you have know where KLS is all the time to you have to know where Collier is all the time.

Reaction Score
Geno has always said the best player on the best team should be NPOY. To me, that's Napheesa - at this point in the season. I fully expect Lou to keep improving and challenge my opinion as the season goes on.

A coach once said to me 'The best player has the most "mights" next to their name." His theory was: in the last five minutes of a close game the best player "might" help us win in a number of ways. You might score. You might grab a rebound. You might block a shot. You might lockdown someone on defense. You might steal the ball. Etc.

Napheesa has the most "mights".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has always said the best player on the best team should be NPOY. To me, that's Napheesa - at this point in the season. I fully expect Lou to keep improving and challenge my opinion as the season goes on.
Pheesa is great. She does all the dirty work: banging with the other team's post, following up missed shots by rebounding & putbacks. For the knowledgeable observer, Pheesa too should be considered for NPOY.

Unfortunately, most fans, sportswriters and NPOY voters are not as knowledgeable about UConn WBB as most BY'ers. They see the highlights of Lou burying multiple 3's & don't look much beyond points scored in the box score.

It's great that UConn has 2 deserving candidates.

Reaction Score
Playing for UConn THIS year, after the recent (and ongoing) success (and expected upcoming success..."get them this year if you expect to get them") will not help when it's close for individual awards...unless they run the table again and/or at least win the championship.

Some voters will look for a chance to vote others where justifiable.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Today I'd vote Collier. Top 4 right now (in no order) would be:
-Collier
-KLS
-Plum (I expect her numbers to drop in Pac12 play. Washington's OOC schedule is dreadful, they've won by an average of 33 points per game. That wont have in the PAC)
-Jones from Baylor

Both Wilson/Turner could easily make a push for POY as the year progresses. There isn't an obvious standout like there was last year with Stewart.

Statistically, both KLS and Collier are extremely impressive considering the competition they've faced:
KLS-20+ points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds, 48% FG, 47% 3pt
Collier-Almost 20 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 63% FG, 38% 3pt, 2 steals, nearly 2 blocks per game.

As the season goes on, I'd look for their PPG to drop as they'll likely play fewer than 30 minutes per game against the weak AAC. That said, look for A/TO ratio to improve and FG% to stay the same or go up. If UCONN goes undefeated and there isn't a major standout from a top team, one of these two should get the award.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. But for me, NPOY at this point is a two horse race between A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Plum.
I'm not generally one to read too much into stats, but I think it's worth pointing out that Napheesa plays pretty much the same position as A'ja Wilson and has better numbers across the board against a tougher SOS.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice posts!
On rebounds - was watching Lou a bit last night on rebounds and I think she had a handful of rebounds snatched away from her by Natalie, Napheesa, and Gabby. Lou is more of a positional rebounder, doing her boxing out very well and then allowing the ball to come to her, while gabby and Napheesa much more actively pursue the ball even when it is not in their immediate area. It is one of the reasons that I think defensive rebounds (and therefore total rebounds) is a little overrated - if a good team gets 30 defensive rebounds in a game only about ten or fewer of those will actually be contested with the rest falling to any one of the defenders who have all boxed out and kept offensive players far from the basket. (Offensive rebounds are a different story.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. But for me, NPOY at this point is a two horse race between A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Plum.
You mean A'ja Wilson who is averaging 16.4 PPG and 6.6 rebounds per game all while shooting 55% from the floor as a low post player? IMHO she's not even the best player on her own team. Coates has better numbers - 14.6 PPG and 10.7 RPG. Coates is also averaging 68% from the floor and has taken 33 less shots than Wilson.

Wilson is a talent for sure. But her numbers thus far barely put her 2nd team AA. I hope the "voters" see that if these numbers continue throughout the year, and don't get suckered in with the preseason hype and publicity some players get. Having said that, cannot argue at all about Plum. 30+ PPG, 5.4 rebounds per game (yes as a guard), 5.7 assists per game, and even 2.2 steals per game. I doubt anyone has numbers close to hers.

Reaction Score
I agree that Lou's lack of rebounding sets her back in terms of overall assessment. She's the tallest starter and yet can't be relied upon for grabbing boards. It's not toughness: she's certainly that. She just doesn't have that knack for getting into position and following the ball (like Pheesa and Gabby do). She has terrific instincts for anticipating and getting the charge and for stealing the ball at waist level. But unless she commits like Rick Barry (whose father-in-law Bruce Hale actually forced him to be a great rebounder through countless painful repetitions), she just won't become one. Are you reading this thread, CD?

Reaction Score
You mean A'ja Wilson who is averaging 16.4 PPG and 6.6 rebounds per game all while shooting 55% from the floor as a low post player? IMHO she's not even the best player on her own team. Coates has better numbers - 14.6 PPG and 10.7 RPG. Coates is also averaging 68% from the floor and has taken 33 less shots than Wilson.

Wilson is a talent for sure. But her numbers thus far barely put her 2nd team AA. I hope the "voters" see that if these numbers continue throughout the year, and don't get suckered in with the preseason hype and publicity some players get. Having said that, cannot argue at all about Plum. 30+ PPG, 5.4 rebounds per game (yes as a guard), 5.7 assists per game, and even 2.2 steals per game. I doubt anyone has numbers close to hers.

She'll garner some National POY awards, off name recognition alone. Could you imagine if Phees or KLS steal POY this season? How awesome would that be?

As of now though, POY has to be Plum.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that Lou's lack of rebounding sets her back in terms of overall assessment. She's the tallest starter and yet can't be relied upon for grabbing boards. It's not toughness: she's certainly that. She just doesn't have that knack for getting into position and following the ball (like Pheesa and Gabby do). She has terrific instincts for anticipating and getting the charge and for stealing the ball at waist level. But unless she commits like Rick Barry (whose father-in-law Bruce Hale actually forced him to be a great rebounder through countless painful repetitions), she just won't become one. Are you reading this thread, CD?
Excellent point. It is not just rebounding but defense in general that might separate KLS from Napheesa & Gabby but also KLS from A'Ja Wilson & Kelsey Mitchell for PoY. A'Ja is reining SEC defensive player of the year & Gabby is on her way to being DPOY.

Reaction Score
I'm not generally one to read too much into stats, but I think it's worth pointing out that Napheesa plays pretty much the same position as A'ja Wilson and has better numbers across the board against a tougher SOS.

I live in the Carolinas and think while A'ja is a tremendous player she would not be on my list of NPOY. I think the kind of player that can impose their will on the game at anytime is a NPOY and do not see that from her consistently. While I realize she is a big and not a guard so its a little more challenging to do so, look at how Napheesa has done it over this thus far challenging schedule.

I have not seen Plum play that much outside some highlights so its unfair for me to state whether she is or is not better than UCONNs two.

I will say that each KLS and NC are very different players which would be hard to pick from at this point. I like the write up in this thread that recognizes that her versatility continues to grow. One edge I give KLS is that the offense seems to flow through her where NC is a bit of the by product of it. KLS can score from anywhere at anytime. NC has an edge on that fall away jumper that let's her get off her shot against anyone and for the offense glass. While she is a good rebounder period, her Off Reb is outstanding which leads to easier scores and high FG%. Also while KLS can knock out a team (clear evidence in last two games but also in some others this year,) NC seems to be more of a quiet assassin. You just look at her box score and say wow, "I did not realize she had that kind of game."

Side note: If Gabby was a more reliable scorer, especially with an outside shot, and committed slightly less turnovers she would be here too because her intangibles and defensive versatility are off the charts compared to most women in the game. She fills a stat sheet across the board and seems to play big in big games.

Reaction Score
I have been shocked and elated with her play this year. I was afraid that she would be another Ann Strothers, a kid who had a great freshman year playing second fiddle to Diana Taurasi, but who struggled the next three years when the team depended on her.

KLS has really evolved into an all-around star: great inside game, strong defense underneath, great passing, and superb outside shooting. She is light years beyond Strothers in her second year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I live in the Carolinas and think while A'ja is a tremendous player she would not be on my list of NPOY. I think the kind of player that can impose their will on the game at anytime is a NPOY and do not see that from her consistently. While I realize she is a big and not a guard so its a little more challenging to do so, look at how Napheesa has done it over this thus far challenging schedule.

I have not seen Plum play that much outside some highlights so its unfair for me to state whether she is or is not better than UCONNs two.

I will say that each KLS and NC are very different players which would be hard to pick from at this point. I like the write up in this thread that recognizes that her versatility continues to grow. One edge I give KLS is that the offense seems to flow through her where NC is a bit of the by product of it. KLS can score from anywhere at anytime. NC has an edge on that fall away jumper that let's her get off her shot against anyone and for the offense glass. While she is a good rebounder period, her Off Reb is outstanding which leads to easier scores and high FG%. Also while KLS can knock out a team (clear evidence in last two games but also in some others this year,) NC seems to be more of a quiet assassin. You just look at her box score and say wow, "I did not realize she had that kind of game."

Side note: If Gabby was a more reliable scorer, especially with an outside shot, and committed slightly less turnovers she would be here too because her intangibles and defensive versatility are off the charts compared to most women in the game. She fills a stat sheet across the board and seems to play big in big games.
Wait..... timeout..., A'Ja is not a guard? Has anyone communicated this to her? :cool:

Reaction Score
It also helps that Gabby can jump so high. By now we've all seen the video of her in the high jump clearing 6 feet 2 inches. It's like she has springs in her shoes or something. You see a ball ricochet off the basket or backboard seemingly headed for the other team's tallest player, and out of nowhere you see this arm reach up and just snatch the ball out of the air, and it's the arm attached to 5' 11" Gabby.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
First of all, IMO you are forgetting that each of your players play different roles on the team so comparing stats is not that relevant. A player who plays closer to the basket should get more rebounds, thats due to the fact who they are generally guarding or as in last nights game Collier literally padded her stats with getting her own misses. Not that there is anything wrong with that. IMHO Williams is the superior rebounder as she elevates above the bigger and stronger players, Collier gets a lot of drop in your hands rebounds and if you watch her defensively has actually had a tougher time guarding the bigs on the other teams who have scored as much as she has around the basket, relatively speaking.

KLS is by far the most offensively gifted player on Uconn and possibly in the nation this year, I am hard pressed to think of another player who can shoot as well as she can from every position on the court, adding the post game just is the icing on the cake and that is while she is the target of the other teams defense as she can burry teams in a hurry. I also agree with UC that KLS is fundamentally sound on defense, she boxes out and is at the same spots quite often that the other 2 are for rebounds but she is smart enough not to interfere as that could result in a team turnover. And she is playing a guard role as in being relied upon to make the right decisions inbounding, breaking the press, setting up offense when you need a bucket.

Williams is short changed a lot as she gets more of the defensive attention than Collier who has benefitted the most from who she plays with and the fact that Williams has also become a really good passer has resulted in a lot of easy lay ups for Collier.

Nurse too should be credited as she constantly moves and occupies the defense, she also causes a lot of trouble for the other team as she can hurt them on the break and really forces their transition D to fall apart, all of these factors are what makes it difficult to beat Uconn. There was a time when teams could sag off a Stokes and even a Mo before she became a really good 3 point shooter. From the games it is apparent that teams are sagging on Collier away from the basket as she has not shown competence there yet, whereas they do not sag off Williams as she has shown that she can hit that outside more regularly and in big games.

Chong being on the floor gives you another scoring option, teams can not sag off her as she is a capable 3 point shooter and can get to the basket, she also knows how Uconn operates so the team seems to run more smoothly when she is on the floor.

What better than to have a speedy PG who can thread the needle for fast breaks and a 6' 5" player come off the bench, most teams would beg for that. I said before the season that I thought other fans were grossly underestimating this team, was I right ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree with you on your opinion. What is it that KLS does better than Collier other than shoot more accurately from outside. Collier rebounds better, plays better defense, blocks more shots and moves without the ball just as much as KLS. Her ppg average is just below KLS's. What is it about KLS that makes some think she is better than Collier? As far as the best player in the country, has anyone seen all the good players in the country. I'vs seen players just as good as either KLS or Collier. All of the outstanding players are not on the teams in the top ten rankings. But then, I know these are just people's opinions so I should not complain.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

How many shots does it take to accomplish her ppg average and how high is her shooting per centage? I've watched her play for three years and she is as much of a ball hog as Kelsey Mitchell to the point that one of her teammates got on her last season about not trusting her teammates.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can tell everybody has have their coffee this morning, because I've just read some very interesting, intelligent, thought provoking and insightful narratives. I don't know where to start. So I'll say that we're only one third of the way into the season. There are still approximately 20 games remaining before the tournaments begin. Right now, there is a log jam at the top as to who is the best player in WCBB right now. I would suggest that RIGHT NOW, there are 7-8 legitimate candidates for NPOY. I read everyone of the posts. They made excellent reading.

The only thing we know at this point is who the candidates are. In time, the cream ALWAYS rises to the top. The field will narrow, it always does. At the end of the conference tournaments, and before the NCAA tourny begins, We'll have a much better idea of who the best player in the country is. NO doubt THAT player will stick out like a six footer at a small person's convention. I'll refrain from using the "M" word when referring to our brothers and sisters that are small in stature because some of them find it offensive, and I don't wish to offend. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom